[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 297 KB, 2000x1000, o-JOB-INTERVIEW-facebook.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1198690 No.1198690 [Reply] [Original]

How much do your looks and personality matter during job interviews?

>> No.1198700

Really depends on the position.

If it's two guys vying for their first real job in sales, , they'll pick the guy who is better looking and a better communicator.

If it's two guys vying for a job in a technical/creative role, the good-looking and amicable guy isn't going to get the job if he's not as talented as the other guy.

It's an advantage, but nothing huge unless it plays into the skill set of the job itself.

All you can really do is not be a cunt. That's really the only time, aside from nepotism, that the better candidate doesn't get the job. No one wants to work with a cunt everyday, even if they are good at what they do.

>> No.1198702

If you have an interview they already know you're capable of doing the job. The interview is a chance to get to know you to see if you'll fit in.

>> No.1198705

>>1198690
Looks, none at all.
Personality is a matter of whether i fit into an existing team - or not. However, the PnL is most relevant in my job (trader).

>> No.1199853

>>1198690
I got a job and I got my first payment before ever meeting my client. It's just about not having your head heavy by thinking it's the end of the world. Go with the feeling that you won't ever see these people again, that works for me.

My story
>have language skills
>work as translator
>get e-mail from mum's friend
>"Hey, Anon, an employer of mine is looking for book translators"
>why not, could use the cash
>do test translation
>pass
>they give me a book
>get paid
>2 months after that, meet boss
>he throws another book at me and says "Need this, ASAP"
>sure thing, man
>not well paid per-page, but it's something that'll always be asked for here

Another one:
>have buddy
>get call from him
>"Hey, Anon, what are you doing next week?"
>Nothing
>"Ok, I need you to go to Scotland with me."
>Sure thing, what time
>Go there
>interpret for a couple days, hotel/food paid for
>a week after coming back, get call from buddy's boss
>"Hello, Mr Anon, I understand we sent you to Scotland at really short notice"
>No problem, sometimes get calls for "tomorrow"
>"good, good. What do we owe you?"
>Well, normal fee is...
>"I don't care about the normal fee, tell me what YOU want and I'll write the cheque"
>tell him 550$
>he just says great, hangs up
>get 550$ after tax, because I'm a student, tax comes back
>mfw I made 600$ in 3 days for only walking and talking

>> No.1199855

>>1198705
trader

Need some info.

I want to either be your standard equities trader or your algo trader.

I'm doing engineering at a mid tier school (electronics), how do I make it as a trader? I've done unpaid work in financial services firms if that helps.

>> No.1199876

>>1199853
>mfw I made 600$ in 3 days for only walking and talking

this is what bartenders do

>> No.1199889

>>1199876
But bartenders don't eat and drink for free. I went to 4-star restaurants, slept in a perfect hotel, all paid for by my employer.

My services are, admittedly, quite similar to those of a bartender, only I'm not a wageslave, I work contract-wise and I travel much more than a bartender. Also, most people are not born with the skill for mixing drinks, I started learning languages as a kid so it comes quite easily to me. It may be stressing for some, but I really don't see it like that. I always wanted to be hired like this, just a call, contract, job, done, money, boom. It's beautiful, almost. I'm like a hooker, people pay me and I do magic.

>> No.1199895

>>1199876
Oh yeah, and as a P.S. to >>1199889, if I happen to have my business cards on me (doesn't happen often, but I do have some), I can hook the guy I'm interpreting as a new client. It's always like that.

>go with client
>nice to meet you
>chat with client's contact partner a little
>give business card
>get new call, new job etc.

I love this job. It's just like a web of money.

>> No.1199974

>>1198702
Exactly, Interviews are a way to ensure that your social class matches the company.
For example, even with the same credentials, a guy with a neck tattoo will not get a position at a consulting firm or a woman with a hillbilly accent and dreadlocks will never be a law office receptionist, never mind the qualifications.

Interviews are a way to screen out these people and they will try to sniff out your inner temperment

>> No.1200181

>>1198690
Those interviewers look horrifying.

>> No.1200185

>>1200181
Yeah it looks absolutely terrifying.

>> No.1200782

>>1198690
Probably 50% of the battle.

>> No.1200816

>>1200181
Uncanny valley