[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 165 KB, 1024x768, forex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11877892 No.11877892 [Reply] [Original]

yo /biz/,

i was always wondering, because since i've finished my highschool I was always fascinated with stock exchange and kinda started collecting articles about investment banking, learning about it and this kind of stuff.

I am actually on a IT uni, but shit.. This is so fucking boring. I don't want to end my life earning shit salary and sitting all the fucking time infront of a computer. I am pretty good at it, but I rather like adrenaline..

What would you say /biz/.. Is being a broker (i'm talking about jobs actually) or a investment banker is really worth it? Or should I really stay in IT, because it seems like it will be even better in the future? What do you think? Anyone has a friend/maybe someone works here as a broker/investment banker? Maybe you know someone who does it for a living? Let me know.

>> No.11877902

actually, working in IT is not that shitty, salary is pretty nice, but still - it's not fascinating me desu

>> No.11877911

>>11877892
Stay in IT, learn investing on the side.

>> No.11877965

>>11877911
somebody told me the same, as he works in IT and does investing/trading as a hobby. It's a pretty nice synergy, since you can stay at the computer, write your code (i am talking about coding) and invest on a side.

But like, comparing: salary, stress, satisfaction, probability of becoming a good in this (certain) profession - what would you say is better?

>> No.11878100

>>11877911

And what's just better thinking for the next 10 years?

Will I earn $7k/month in IT, and that's it? Will this be the best salary that I could achieve?

Maybe broker job/investment banker can bring me more profit, but in a longer run? I will achieve $7k/month in a longer run, but actually I will be able to make more in the next few years.

For example:

As a broker, I will earn $2-3k as a beginner, but then it will constantly raise. Maybe in the next 2 years I will hit $4k/month, and it will raise and raise as I will gain experience.

Or

I work as a coder, and the $4k/month came A LOT faster than it was expected. But whenever I will hit $7k/month, it will be the end of it. It will be really hard to find a job which will offer not really bigger amount of money. The only reason to grow bigger will be just to open my own IT company.

What do you think? Is it like that? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's why I'm asking you - just to educate myself.

>> No.11878199

>>11877892
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbuborn14Mc&t=489s

>> No.11878253

>>11878199
is this video more like bringing investment banking to the ground,

or like showing a normal person what is he going into? So you can actually know if you're really into it or not?

>> No.11878286

>>11878253
He drops redpill after redpill on the IB industry, youre better off trading your own money if you want to make money. Anyways since you want to know about IB I suggest you watch the series

>> No.11878295

>>11877892
do IT for now and trade/invest on the side. Get comfortable with it for at least a year or two.

You'll have the stable IT job which will be great for the unstableness of what you'll be getting into.

Even on the side, it'll give you adrenaline and stress at first, then you'll be ok for a bit, then back to stress and cycle until your swings settle down.

>> No.11878375

>>11877892
how many IT workers jumped out of wallstreet buildings in 2008? IT is the perfect job to learn investing on the side, gives you an edge in tech investment understanding aswell as crypto, and you have alot of downtime while on the job to daytrade. they are a great combination

>> No.11878466

>>11878286
i will leave this before the sleep, so I can watch whole series not interrupting what I'm doing now

>> No.11878504

>>11878295
yep, that's what most of the dudes are telling me to do. It's probably the best thing I could do, but somehow my brain tells me, that I could work in this job. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but let's see what new will this discussion bring to me.

>> No.11878538

>>11878504
your brain telling you that you can work in IT or broker?

either way, I would definitely wait a year or two at least, you'll look like a better candidate with 2 years of a stable job under you.

>> No.11878542

>>11878375
holy fuck, i didn't even know about the suicides until i've googled it up.. Maybe I should really stay in IT?

But what's really depressing, is that I don't really want to do that shit. I will watch these youtube series that somebody above has recommended, probably my thinking will change a bit.

>> No.11878608

I have 10+ years experience in both trading and IT

Stick with IT + trade on the side.

IT is a much more fulfilling skill that not only will make you have a SAFE BASE INCOME, but you can be succesfull.

Trading is good but at the end you realize you depend on others and time. And if you dont have any money, it sucks and it is more profitable to get salary first.

>> No.11878615

>>11878538
a broker. IT is my thing as well (i'm pretty good in coding). I am not from USA, neither from UK. Just let's say - from Europe. At this time I know 2 foreign languages (English, German). 3 languages if you count mine as well.

I was thinking lately (for about 6 months) about moving out to Frankfurt am Main and getting a IB/broker job here. But I don't know now. You guys are probably right, because everytime I'm trying to ask someone about it - he says the same: stay in IT, do trading as a side job.

>> No.11878619
File: 303 KB, 1200x757, !&&^.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11877892
what do you work on in IT?

do you do any programming?

why not make a trading bot

>> No.11878669

>>11878619
programming, yeah. I am working in a small company right now, thinking about dropping out of college because it's literally garbage. I am not learning anything and I'm working 8 hours a day, 5 days in the week. So basically the only thing I want to do after the work is to relax, do my shit(write my own projects, learn foreign language etc etc). And what university is giving to me is learning about math or some other useless shit.

I just don't have time for it, but answering shortly - I work in IT. As a programmer. Making a trading bot is actually a pretty nice idea.. hmm..

>> No.11878721

>>11878615
I'm just saying work in IT for now, if you have a real passion for trading/broker then move to broker. You don't have to stay in IT forever, you can leave whenever you want my man.

Just take a year or two, dedicate your time to getting into trading, finance, investing etc and see if its your thing before taking the drive.

>> No.11878803
File: 62 KB, 670x670, @#.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11878669
college does seem to be a waste of time

what do you program in mostly?

I made a bot that predicted natural gas futures some time ago, was fun, overall trading bots are fun

>> No.11878948

>>11878803
java mostly, intellij idea 4life

>> No.11879000

>>11878721
thanks for these words, weird - but it has motivated me. I will do it like this, maybe there will be possibility to work as a broker/IB in the future as you say

and in the meanwhile, would you recommend any books, tutorials, interviews that I could learn from?

>> No.11879503

>>11879000
Depends on what you want, anyhow I would recommend Ray Dalios Principles to anyone

>> No.11879903

IT is a not "sustainable" career (you need to handle those DevOps stress and lots of Agile BS - intolerable to me after a while).

Don't be a broker either.

Get a CFA if you can (it's tough) and then slowly build relationships to move into Equity Research (sell-side) > Equity Research (buy-side/fund) > Private Equity > VC.

>> No.11880015

>>11879903
do you have any contact? it's pretty late at night and you've interested me with that CFA, so just in case someone would close this thread.

discord, anything?

>> No.11880266

>>11880015
you still didn't do your homework by watching those videos, so stop nagging and get back here after