[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 29 KB, 500x360, P178hRbb3DCAhL8hsY_zAQuBzLvt63gBf82Q0HusyVkQiHmR7FMVE8H0zsEaXGhwSM0LEuGa=w500-h360-nc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1142129 No.1142129 [Reply] [Original]

Do you feel age is a major discriminating factor in hiring?
I went to an interview once where the interviewer, other candidates and most employees there were old farts (average age they said was 42 years old). I didnt get the job, I'm a 22 year old male

>> No.1142131

>>1142129
Absolutely, same thing when i applied for jobs with all women.

>> No.1142541

OP here
I understand their though process; hire experienced professionals and minimize training. But its short sighted as older individuals take longer to adapt to new concept, like new laws, since "they've done it this way their whole lives" + take more sick leaves + shorter work life as they might retire in 10-15 years.
younger people on the other hand quickly adapt, are sometimes sharper, can work longer hours, better with technology, only ofset is less experience.
is training cost>severance packages in 10 years+less hours a day+higher pay+not willing to change?

>> No.1142584

>>1142129
OP, I managed to get a job over old farts when I was your age.

I got it because I had known the hiring manager for the position for years.

Those old farts have a sad advantage, because they've probably been networking for half your life. What happens that makes it easier is that when their friends move into another company, suddenly they have a friend in another company. It makes it easier to move around.

Keep trying. You'll be in the glorious circle eventually.

>> No.1142607

22 yo Engineer here.
Not a grad or anything, got a job straight from apprenticeship on £30k.

Nope. Most people in my role are 35+. You're just not good enough and looking for excuses.

Keep going and you will get something.

>> No.1142635
File: 105 KB, 810x967, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well hello, I too am a member of the "I am 22 and an engineering grad". I enrolled in a Masters immediately after my undergrad. I'm trying to get full time work well doing school. Once I get a job I'll probably put school on hold for a couple of years.

I've had a 5 interviews in the past two months. Starting to feel a tad discouraged but at least I'm in school.

>> No.1142706

well, yeah. of course it is. usually when a company is hiring for a job they will have a specific age group in mind. it goes both ways though, if you are an old guy applying for more junior positions you will be dropped for being too old. if you are a young guy applying for senior positions you may be dropped for being too young.