[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 74 KB, 612x448, 177848230-612x612.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11346629 No.11346629 [Reply] [Original]

I had an idea for a chain of amusement parks. There would be no expenditure on a theme, food, games, or non-rollercoaster attractions. It would be barebones, consisting only of many top-tier rollercoasters; enough that the lines stay short. It would be marketed towards young adults and thrill-seekers, as well as more adventurous families who prefer thrills over ambiance. There would be an attempt to keep the prices much more reasonable than today's amusement parks.

Could something like this succeed?

>> No.11346724

>>11346629
This looks like an issue of space. How much real estate do current theme parks use for their roller coasters vs everything else? It's probably more expensive for ride upkeep than it is for everything else in a theme park, which would probably make it more expensive.

>> No.11346751

>>11346629
U should make a rollercoaster with the same design as the ChainLink graph for those of us looking to relive the once in a lifetime experience.

>> No.11346752

>>11346724
I guess you could try to keep it condensed? You could basically have the park lined out like 2-4 long, straight corridors of rollercoasters, so you wouldn't need any space for anything else. You could just line them up one by one all the way down the walkway, as close to each other as possible (within reason).

>> No.11346759

>>11346751
I'd probably just focus on fast, exciting roller coasters to start, but when I was brainstorming this with my buddy, we thought it might be cool to give parkgoers the option to vote on which new coasters they get in their city next.

>> No.11346777

>>11346629

The theme is usually what sells concessions and merchandise, which is what really makes the money for the park. The ticket prices aren't what keeps the place going.

>> No.11346796

I would think things like food and merchandise have wayyy higher margins. Sounds like a maintenance/liability nightmare just having coasters. Also families are spending way more on all the extra bullshit after they pay the admission price

>> No.11346800

>>11346629
pretty much cedar point

>> No.11346809

>>11346629
I would try to find an area near to a large airport and make limo deals and round-trip deals with that airport. Your customer base is going to be more select, so getting people to the park from around the country/region is important. Marketing is therefore also important, so try to create a viral, online marketing scheme.

Consider adding food trucks because I think you're just missing out on money by not having them. People are going to want to eat and if they can't eat at your park, they are just going to create more traffic entering and exiting for food and snacks.

>> No.11346815

>>11346777
I think the reason ticket prices don't keep these places going is because the lines are just too long, and standing in line for 45 minutes to do one activity is not a fun way to spend a day. It's a challenge to conventional wisdom, but I believe that if people could get the roller coaster experience without waiting in line in the sun, they'd rethink that position.

>> No.11346829

>>11346752
You probably could. I don't know about theme park regulations codes and regulations, but I bet there's some. Also, I bet you theme parks make a huge chunk of their money on souvenirs and food & drink. You'll be using all of your real estate on rides at the opportunity cost of points of sale, along with the higher overhead of ride-upkeep. You would have to survive on ticket sales alone, which is probably only a fraction of current theme parks' revenue.

>> No.11346835

>>11346796
I was bouncing around the idea of having an area off to the side that's exclusively for food and rest. Food trucks would be a cool idea, and I also thought it might be cool to have a stage where DJ's and bands could perform.

Also, an anon above mentioned theme. I wouldn't say it's themeless, just with less emphasis on theme and more on rides. I think it should have a synthwave/neon aesthetic, with the rides lighting up in neon red/blue/purple at night to give it a retro futurist aesthetic. There could also be 18+ and 21+ nights.

>> No.11346864
File: 2.35 MB, 1366x768, 1488272527743.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11346835
>I think it should have a synthwave/neon aesthetic
>There could also be 18+ and 21+ nights.
Your idea is getting more interesting.

>> No.11346881

>>11346829
Is it farfetched to theorize that one of the things that turns people off of traditional theme parks is the lines? The lines seem to communicate that there's a high demand for rollercoasters, but not enough supply of them.

>> No.11346882

>>11346835
I could get down with a cyberpunk park. Throw some VR rides in

>> No.11346885

>>11346629
the prices are as low as they are now because they know they can make it all back from F&B. your idea will not succeed.

HOW MANY FUCKING BUSSES DO I HAVE TO ID TO BE ABLE TO POST HOLY SHIT

>> No.11346890

>>11346864
Taking a girl there would basically guarantee you pussy.

>> No.11346903

>>11346885
Maybe I could serve food, but only in a dedicated food and rest area? That way, the rest of the park won't get disgusting like most amusement parks nowadays.

>> No.11346933

>>11346882
I'd need to find a designer because I can't find any images on Google Images that match the vision I have in my mind. I'd have music like this playing in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GW6sLrK40k

>> No.11346951
File: 92 KB, 640x402, tron-roller-coaster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11346933
>>11346882
Here's a ride at Disney based on Tron that might be sorta close to what I imagine.

>> No.11347040
File: 145 KB, 1200x675, LockerRoomChill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11346881
Goal: Create a theme park that has more rides than a traditional theme park to maximize fun and minimize lines.

Traditional theme parks have various revenue streams aside from ticket sales, primarily merchandise, food and drink. The sales from the other revenue streams most likely exceed ticket sales, much like a movie theater. If we were to model a new theme park that maximized its real estate to accommodate more amusement rides, the opportunity cost would be lost potential revenue from shops and restaurants from customer demand.
To make this theme park work, we have to maximize space. If a traditional theme parks have, say, 40% of its real estate dedicated to amusement rides, and the rest allocated to bathrooms, shops, restaurants, walkways, etc., then this new theme park should have at least 80% of its space dedicated to amusement rides to maximize fun and minimize lines, while the rest is used for bathrooms, walkways, shops, restaurants, etc.

Design and layout is key. Make sure to not be frugal on spending money on design.

>> No.11347045

>>11346933
Theme park expert here. Look at carnivals, they have to packup every month and go somewhere new because ppl get tired of the same rides. Also coasters arent cheap, in the millions and then insurance.

>> No.11347088

>>11347040
Wow, thank you for articulating my business idea in a more concise way than I could. It'd be useful to prepare some sort of elevator pitch.

I think you could even get up to 90% or more space going to rides. There wouldn't even need to be shops or restaurants along the main corridors; the merch shop, eating area, and stage could all be combined into one recreation area that's off to the side.

>> No.11347105

>>11347045
Carnival rides are smaller and aren't as exciting as top-tier rollercoasters in actual parks. Also, amusement parks at least seem to keep afloat, and they would have a smaller variety of rides than my park would have.

>> No.11347285
File: 170 KB, 634x822, goldboy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11347088
No problem. Don't forget your margins will probably be smaller due to the fact that you will have to maintain more rides. You should probably think of something unique to make more sales.

I just had an idea. Instead of tickets, maybe you could just let customers in, but they have to load some kind of ride card with credits in order to access a ride. You can model it like Dave and Busters. Give them a card to load their purchased credits on. Or even better, you can create an App that allows them to purchase credits, and they can just scan their phone to access the rides. Rides can vary in price and you can track ride data to see which ones perform the best. You can have flash rides where some ride is reduced credits or something, making people rush to that ride while freeing up the other rides for people. You can have quests where people ride 3 rides in different areas of the park and if completed they can get some extra credits. Gives an incentive for people to spend money and use different rides. There's so much you can probably do, especially if you're tracking ride data since they have to scan their phones to access the ride.

>> No.11347929

>>11346629
Cedar Point has 17! coasters, including the best in the world (millennium force) and OP has not bothered to go ride the world's largest collection , but dreams of a park with such thrills.

Mantis is a case in point, it was a stand up coaster with a 120+ft loop inversion after the first drop. It was too intense for most people and the cars were converted to a hybrid 'floorless' sit-on type. People like the most mild coasters, more people ride the steam train.

>> No.11348055

>>11346629
>doesnt understand where profits of an amusement park comes from
>attempts to remove only profitable segment
stay poor, biz.

>> No.11348351

>>11346777
trips of truth