[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 16 KB, 317x432, 1473748141356.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11284408 No.11284408 [Reply] [Original]

What do you guys think about a career in finance?

I had the choice back then to go into finance or engineering, I went for mechanical engineering. I'm not regretting it but now I am thinking I should have followed the money. Unlike the STEM meme mechanical engineers don't earn well. Not bad either but not 100k. Here in Germany you start somewhere around 45k and by retirement you're at 65k unless you had more responsibility.

I still have a chance of getting into finance but
a) it's probably even more of a soulless mindnumbing work than mechanical engineering
b) the long hours + slave work in the early years
c) you are literally working for shekelberg judenstein

so, do you think a switch is worth it? any first hand stories?

>> No.11284548

>>11284408
First of all. What part of finance?

>> No.11285036

>>11284548
I have some experience in transaction banking. I don't think I'm an IB guy, way too introverted for it.

>> No.11285077

>>11284408
I dont know about Germany but Im a licensed architect in US. Im self employed and earning over 6 figures in a low cost of living area. Really only do work about 25 hrs a week. The engineers I sub stuff out to are making as much and probably more than I do. Having a professional license and running your own shop is like having a stamp that prints money.

>> No.11286015

>>11285077
Different mindset here in Germany. Being self employed as an archictect or engineer is not really a thing here unless yoi have a PhD or something, basically if you are an top expert with decades of experience. If you go self employed before it's because you were deemed unhirable by the big companies. That's how the think goes here.

Architects are pretty low on the ladder, they're lucky if they get 40k.