[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 62 KB, 400x300, big_money_man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11159100 No.11159100 [Reply] [Original]

I really fucked up in my youth and basically have about 7k of debt affecting my credit score. I currently have a steady job that pays $10 an hour and I get about 32 hours per week. I'm saving up to build a new PC (mostly because my current PC is on its last legs and I can no longer do audio/video production, which is a skill that would sometimes bring in a bit of extra money) and then I'm planning to go after the debt. I would like to get a basic credit card in the meantime, so that I can use it for groceries/gas/etc. and pay it off monthly to start building credit and preparing for moving out once I finally get myself back to square 0.

I guess my questions are: what would be a good starter credit card to sign up for for someone in my situation? I got a thing in the mail from Discover for their It Chrome card, but I will likely not be returning to school unless some kind of miracle happens. Also, how much of each paycheck should I be setting aside to go towards getting rid of the debt? Is 20% a decent amount? I don't have any real reason to rush any of this and am living pretty comfy right now.

>> No.11159226

You start by working 20 hours more a week at a better paying job to pay off your debt bucko

>> No.11159253

>i could pay off this debt
>or i could buy luxury goods

Pay off your debts idiot
And don't do it again.

>> No.11159273
File: 67 KB, 807x528, 1536465536999.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11159100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSBwlBdpKSg

Watch Dave's show, he will actually give you advice for living a debt free life.

Grow the fuck up and take care of your debt.

>> No.11159294
File: 756 KB, 1126x1091, B5AA333A-8470-41C5-B2B3-6EE85327DDAE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also

>getting into more debt to pay off your debt

You’ve got a lot to learn

>> No.11159304

>>11159226
Right now, this is the best I can do. I don't really have a resume to speak of outside of various under the table things I've done that likely wouldn't look too good on a resume. I figure if I work at this one for about six months as I get my CCNA, I'll be in good shape to move upward. I want to start doing something *now* though.

>>11159253
No shit, moron. I'm a frugal person and don't really spend money on anything but food. The PC isn't so I can play the latest games or whatever, it's specifically because I used to have a somewhat steady editing gig that brought in an extra $250 or so a month that I can still probably get back.

To explain more clearly, I was basically in NEET mode for the past ten years. My life has changed significantly in the past year and I'm finally getting over a lot of shit and fixing my life, which includes taking care of debt. From the posts here, I assume the best thing for me to do then is just focus on getting rid of that debt, and afterwards is when I should look into a card. Thanks!

>> No.11159333

>>11159294
How would I be getting into more debt? The point of the card would be to only use it for things I already have the money for and then pay it off at the end of the month. If you mean the computer, I'm absolutely not going into debt to do that. I've been stashing a good 100 or so from each paycheck aside. I'm not gonna buy that shit on credit. I'm not a retard.

>> No.11159738
File: 1.81 MB, 1665x3441, lSoUQr2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11159100
there are cc specifically made for building credit. don't know why your coming to 4chan before just googling it.
depends on the interest on the debt