[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 113 KB, 1000x667, 170902540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10758071 No.10758071 [Reply] [Original]

I am a wageslave.

There I said it. I bought into the university and white collar office job meme (accountant). I regularly work overtime and don't get paid extra because I am salaried. I sometimes work weekends too because of ever increasing demands of clients.

I felt like I was getting burnt the fuck out. Anxiety, could feel my body physically deteriorating, constant stress from office politics and carrot on the stick bullshit from bosses.

I took a week off. My plans? Do absolutely nothing apart from focus on myself. I went to nice restaurants and ate healthy food, I went to the gym, I read 4 books on investing, I felt awesome.

Tomorrow I have go back to slavery. A week off focusing on myself was a glimpse into the life I truly want. All those hours I give to my job I could be spending increasing my own knowledge and employing those skills to bettering my own situation, but the constant anchor hanging around my neck of 50+ hours a week means it is unlikely I will ever make it.

How the fuck do we get out of this hell /biz/?

>> No.10759086

>>10758071
Become a truck driver. Not sure what you make as an accountant but I imagine the pay wouldn't be much higher, if any. The hours won't be any less than you're working and there is no overtime. However, the job is fun if you're adventurous.

>> No.10759130

Hey at least you're not a wagecuck, you're a salaryman. I'd say that's a step up.

>> No.10759145

>>10759130
Plus you could maybe bone Stacey in HR if you can get up some courage. Maybe start drinking on the job?

>> No.10759174

>>10758071

Just stop doing it or open your own company doing it. Go into massive debt and buy crypto if you want.

You're an accountant so you're probably boring as hell. Go overboard with being interesting to balance it out. Also learn dapp dev if you aren't a brainlet.

>>10759130
>Hey at least you're not a wagecuck, you're a salaryman. I'd say that's a step up

No it's not, it's the same thing.

>> No.10759193

>>10759174

You understand crypto and do accounting. Cmon man do you need a fucking master to start the obvious business and hire you??

>> No.10759275

Mate, just start working on yourself, my accountant is working for 7 different small companies, almost same working hours, than on wage, but work from home and bigger salary

>> No.10759294

>>10758071
accounting is famous for making people miserable, depressed, suicidal.

If you want an actual respected and interesting white collar job you should have been an engineer or doctor

>> No.10759348

>>10759294
>accounting is famous for making people miserable, depressed, suicidal.
why is this?

>> No.10759366

>>10758071

Accountant with MBA here. Gonna be wage slaving for another 5 years, then go AWOL. Should have more than a quarter million saved invested. Dunno if I'll start a business or just move to fucking Croatia for a few years. I'm single, no kids and I don't have any interest in having kids, so that gives us better leverage for financial independence.

>> No.10759376

>>10759086

I honestly thought about getting a CDL, but sitting non stop for 12 hours a day doesn't sound any better than sitting at a desk working on financial models or scrubbing ledger accounts.

>> No.10759442

>>10758071
What exactly is stopping you from quitting and doing something else. Nobody is forcing you to do this.

>> No.10759454

>>10759348

Read the OP. If you count all the overtime they work, those people get paid like $12/hour with their master's degrees. Of all the wagecuck stories on /biz/, the accountants seem to be the most cucked.

>> No.10759477

>>10759454

I'm at 70k, but I live in a bigger market. It's definitely not all that its chalked up to be. I actually loathe work to the point I have no serotonin running through my brain. Just absolute boredom 50-60 hours per week, non stop.

Please note, that I work out a lot to get the dopamine, but the job is boring as fuck

>> No.10759501

>>10759442
Naïve young anon

>> No.10759504

>>10759477

The best part of the job is to be able to put headphones on and just fucking work in peace.

The SHIT part of the job is CONSTANT interruptions to the above from co-workers, clients, e-mails fucking non-stop. Means shit NEVER gets done hence the high hours.

And not sure about your firm but most accountants are fucking brainlets when it comes to finance, markets, investing etc. Slapping together a balance sheet and P&L is brainlet tier work.

>> No.10759555

Start freelancing or set up some sort of side hustle, then move to somewhere you can live cheap but the quality of life is good. You'll work less, have more time to do what you want, and be able to enjoy the beauties of foreign lands.

>> No.10759583

>>10759504

You are correct. My fucking boss doesn't understand IRR, NPV, discount rates, etc. I passed level 1 of the CFA so while I'm still low man on the totem poll, I at least know the fuckin basics.

I truly believe accounting is synonymous with autism. Sometimes I'd rather be doing construction than reconciling GL accounts and chasing 300 bucks in a fucking suspense account. They don't fucking understand value added and me spending a few hours researching 300 bucks is not value added.

>> No.10759584

>>10758071
Not because you are salaried. Because you accept being a slave

>> No.10759585

>>10759294
Joke's on you, I'm an engineer and I'm miserable as fuck.

>> No.10759617
File: 1.18 MB, 300x169, 1324861483187.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10759504
this.

being a salaryman ain't that shit if you're allowed to just do your job, manage your time in the office and try new things without being bothered by mongoloids and boomer ladies in middle management.

obviously my current job is exactly the opposite. literally can't start a song without somebody coming at my desk and asking for extremely basic information or whatever shit request their dusty, rotten brains can churn out after 10-20 years of professional and personal inertia. my misogyny has actually skyrocketed after having to deal with 4 out of 4 women in management, plus barely out of uni thots that want to shine.

body is out of shape, flat is a war camp, motivation and willpower is fucked. i even started smoking FAGS one year ago so i can actually get the fuck away from my desk as often as possible.

meanwhile my job interviews are abysmal too because HR drones (mostly women) can smell how bad i fucking hate corporate politics and work mating rituals.

i don't even know what the fuck to do honestly. the whole world appears so gray that i can't even think of a way to start a business myself.

>> No.10759645

>>10759585
What are you doing? You're doing it wrong.

I'm an engineer and designing exciting new medical instruments.

>> No.10759670

>>10759617

Women in the work place are the worst. Especially the young ones straight out of college that want to be stars. Will do anything to throw your under the bus to make themselves look good. I was talking to other male collegues about this shit and it makes no sense whatsoever. You're literally fucking someone over for absolutely no compensation or incentive outside of making yourself look better. There's no raise, no promotion, just that small pin prick of serotonin shooting through the female's small brain.

>> No.10759682

>>10759366

MY NIGGA! Also MBA here, accounting undergrad. If you and OP get burned out just look for an actual hourly accounting job, it's generally less money, but I'm happy with it. Much more free tome to work on my side business running google and facebook ad campaigns for people. If they got you on the salary hook for 60 or more hours a week, just fucking leave, it's not worth it.

>> No.10759692

>>10759086
>Become a truck driver
and watch your ability to work disappear in 10 years

>> No.10759702

>>10759670
they have to compensate their absolute lack of skills in some way. i've only had one great lady as a manager in almost 8 years of work experience, but she was a weirdo and older than the average (literal 60yo boomer)

the shitty younglings are basically the future 40 something year old wymyn managers whose only competence is scheduling meetings to "coordinate" with the team. there are days where we can actually spend more than half of the time to talk about fucking nothing while real work piles up.

i fucking hate modern corporate culture.

>> No.10759781

>>10759583

Good for you, made it through countless accounting classes and I still don't really understand IRR and NPV, although i do still have the HP-12C finance calculator, never used any of it in my job.

>> No.10759894

>>10759454
Oh...I thought it was paid overtime

>> No.10759939
File: 62 KB, 319x319, cat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

christ i feel the same way

>> No.10759954

>>10759645
And I'm designing cool military equipment. Doesn't change the fact that my company is fucked and we've lost 25% of our engineering staff so far this year plus some more last year.

>> No.10759973

>>10759894
>Paid overtime
>Salary worker
Kek, you think desk jockeys get paid overtime? Nobody could afford to hire us if we didn't donate all of our free time to our project management overlords

>> No.10759995

>>10759617

Fuck man, I came into my current firm at a seniorish level due to experience.

I have a little faggot on my team that has been wageslaving there for years and is part qualified. Obviously DESPERATE for a promotion and trying to demonstrate that he is "managing upwards" to our senior bosses.

Lil nigga tries to micromanage ME. I literally am blackpilled as fuck about corporate life now that I just do my work and if anyone tries to micromanage me I just ghost the fuck out of them.

>> No.10760007

>>10758071

Is there anyway you can gradually cut corners on the work you do to slowly regenerate some of the energy you've lost on the 50-60 hour grind? Unfortunately, you're still stuck there for time but hell I'd rather treat my work as a slow walk where I only power walk when necessary lol

Basically, make yourself look reliable by always being 'busy' but constantly delivering ONLY what's needed. Unfortunately, not enough people that value or respect 110% (despite saying they want it) and only in turn stack more dumb shit on you.

Additionally, maybe look for any projects/departments/groups or whatever that you can make a lateral move into? I'd look for any areas in the firm that the work is either different/interesting (good luck that's more of your perspective) or so damn necessary that if you left people would be fucked.

Otherwise, I don't know how old you are... personally I'm 22 so I'd just bite the bullet and try to B.S. as much as I could for my 2 to 3 years and then look for any position that actually fucking respects your time and caps you at 45 hours a week max for normal weeks.

Finally, save as much as you can. I have a side gig right now that I treat as a full time gig because I have cash in reserves and the gig has finally developed enough to where I can really pay myself first and keep it at that. I'm sure you're talented enough to do some freelance on the work side for now and once you've covered all of your unnecessary and expensive debts you can basically have micro FU money. At that point, whether or not you still have your job, you'll even find you might enjoy it because you realistically don't have to take shit from anyone and go your own way

>> No.10760047

>>10759995
>I literally am blackpilled as fuck about corporate life now that I just do my work and if anyone tries to micromanage me I just ghost the fuck out of them.

same man.
absolutely the same.

ghosting probably won't help, because the little shitlords will think it's time for them to step up. like i have an intern (the aforementioned out of school thot) that keeps clashing with everyone, me included, because she tries to dictate rules.

still, i ghost like a fucking ninja because i can't be arsed anymore about this whole shit. people spend more time telling what they do instead of actually doing things. then the day i'm off, everybody panics and keeps calling me on the phone like a rabid girlfriend.

hopefully in september i will be out of this hell. i actually hope to hit desperation levels so high that they will kickstart my motivation for a business.

>> No.10760124

>>10758071
I know that feel. Just used my two weeks vacation starting tomorrow to study for my CPA (Canada) exam in less than a month.

I don't even want to be an accountant anymore, just too far into it not to.

>> No.10760145

>>10759348
It literally sucks your sole, and then you die.

>> No.10760177

>>10760047

>leaving your phone on when you're off

LOL NOPE

I just checked my emails now and even had a one pop up from that little cuck for his "handover" for his day off.

I didn't even do a handover for my time off cause I did all my work.

Office politics has to be the main driving force being becoming blackpilled. The passive aggresiveness, constant power plays and attempts to out do others in hopes of receiving a few more shekels from Mr Noseberg.

You wish you could just tell someone straight that they are a cunt but can't because your wages will be garnished topkek.

I don't think males evolved mentally for this type of shitty working environment hence the high levels of burnout and depression in our field.

>> No.10760236

>>10760007
That's just not how accounting works. It's very deadline oriented, and you need results that are correct for every deadline.

>> No.10760328

I'm laid off.

Kinda want to start trading now.

>> No.10760354

Someone please acknowledge my plight, thank you >>10760174

>> No.10760382

>>10760145
I can't handle that. It tickles way too much.

>> No.10760397

>>10760177
>implying my company gives its employees work phones

we ain't even small, just incompetent.
i have 4 groups in whatsapp where my bosses chat everyday. all of them are silenced.

>> No.10760426

>>10758071
start learning SQL and Python and try to get into a more technical role. you can probably make 50% more money.

>> No.10760449

Self-employed contractor here. I work 30 hours a week and live a comfy life. Learn as much as you can at your job, get skills and qualifications and work gets easier. It's tough starting out though.

>> No.10760493

commissions cuck here, at least i control my wage getting paid on percentages..
w2 was over 120k last yr at 25

>> No.10760758

>>10760047
>if anyone tries to micromanage me I just ghost the fuck out of them
How?

>> No.10761070

>>10760758
nod, smile and keep doing your shit your way
when out of the office: don't check emails and don't answer the phone