[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 34 KB, 376x302, 1473619476623.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10330480 No.10330480 [Reply] [Original]

help /biz/, I want to teach myself to program but it seems like every job posting wants a different set of qualifications... what should I learn?

>> No.10330485

>>10330480
Algorithmics and datastructures.

>> No.10330499

>>10330485
those are on my list of concepts to learn, but I'm mostly concerned about programming language(s) to learn

>> No.10330503

>>10330485
This, but also you need intelligence. You can learn to cook, but it's going to take patience and decades of practice before you become really good at it, and most likely you'll never be Ramsey or whatever that other British fagchef is.

>> No.10330514

>>10330499
>programming language(s) to learn
The theory applies to most of them equally but they serve different usecases. Really depends on what you want to build.

>> No.10330540

>>10330514
My end goal is to get into the blockchain/smart contract development space, but I know I have A LOT to learn before I get there. I want to develop skills I can take with me to that level when I get there so it would make more sense to learn C++ over Python- the problem is Python is really in-demand right now, easy to learn and I need a job. I'm not sure where to start

>> No.10330554

>>10330499
>programming language(s) to learn
Depends on which fields y want to work in. Programming language /framework is just a thing y can learn in a short time, dont have to worry too mich about it. The main thing to do is >>10330485 and if y got a gud head in mathematics should try cryptography too.
The main thing in programming is solving problem, y need to have a good logical thinking first. I dont wanna see another "programmer" who don't know what actually programming is but good at using google, copy and fix code from another projects.

>> No.10330561

>>10330554
>good at using google, copy and fix code from another projects.
Call them code-monkey for short.

>> No.10330564

>>10330554
This. If you cant derive your own own algorhithms you're a pajeet tier "programmer".

>> No.10330566

>>10330540
>Python is really in-demand right now, easy to learn and I need a job. I'm not sure where to start
Gee, i wonder where indeed

Food for thought, once you learn one language it is much easier to learn another one. The hardest part is learning how to think like a programmer and approach a problem in a logical way. That can be learned with any language. Syntax is easy, you can learn it in a few days.

>> No.10330581

>>10330540
You're basically aiming at the bleeding edge of software while not even knowing how to do anything.
If you want to get into Solidity probably do C first, then take 50 security classes for C because Solidity has all the shitty security flaws C has.

For beginning you probably want Java or Python simply because the IDEs carry your ass for a while. After that probably dive into C.

Haskell is also a strong option if you want to learn from the hard side.

>> No.10330599

>>10330554
>>10330566
thanks guys, I'm planning on digging into some coding challenges once I've learned the basics a bit more. What's the best place to fine challenges outside of HackerRank?

I know the very basics of C and Python, it just seems like I need a basket of marketable skills to go along with that.

>> No.10330617

>>10330581
thanks for the advice, I'll start by going deeper into Python

>> No.10330622

>>10330599
> What's the best place to fine challenges outside of HackerRank?
There's CodeWars, Exercism and Edabit. There are lots more, but i like to use those three.

>I know the very basics of C and Python, it just seems like I need a basket of marketable skills to go along with that.
I suggest researching Udemy for a good course and following that while doing exercises. You need a logical approach to learning, reading unrelated articles and watching random YouTube videos won't get you very far as it doesn't follow a natural learning flow.
Udemy courses are paid, but they are never more than 10$, and some are brilliant.

After you feel comfortable with the syntax and simple problems, google for "[language] beginner projects" and find something you can attempt on your own and stick with it.

Good luck! I started teaching myself web development a few months back, and this was the approach i took with learning JavaScript. Worked for me.

>> No.10330623

>>10330617
also try to get up to speed on runtime analysis (ít's not particularly hard) and the metrics of the most used datastrctures. (e.g. when do you actually use a linked list, when do you use an arraylist, treemap, hashmap, linkedtreemap, etc)

After you figured that out you're probably already semi-decent at coding.