[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 360 KB, 600x590, 1438875115071.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1014181 No.1014181 [Reply] [Original]

How do you pretend to be a business when you're only one person?

I'm dying trying to write copy for my portfolio site while not coming off as a fraud. I guess I am trying to be half a fraud. Webdev stuff here. I don't want to be a freelancer but a business partner for these people/organizations.

"We supply a large range of services that are unique to each client’s needs and each project. Our specialties include web design & development, graphic design and branding."

or "Arcos Multimedia Group is an innovative Web Design company whose centre of attention only enclosed with client requirements and its growth in this world"

I like the first one more.

That's a lot of shit and it sounds great. It's kind of what I want to say under my 'about'. I mean I couldn't personally do all of those things but I'm confident I could piece together everything to a satisfactory result.

My website is really simple, It's intro, services ('web design' 'marketing/seo', 'automation') What do you think? I feel like I need more than two sentences explaining 'about', esp since I have no projects on there (but the actual site looks pretty cool).

And how should I answer my phone? 'Hi, this is XX, how can I help you?' I have a separate number for biz stuff.

Planning on blasting Craigslist. My area has only a couple of really good people and I feel if I can get in there and meet them face to face I'll be set.

Gib advice pls, I'm scared.

>> No.1014191

I was unaware that business had a personnel requirement.

>> No.1014200

Get a virtual secretary or better yet a virtual office.

Suddenly a polite woman is picking up the phone and then transferring calls to you, so you are "we"

Also you can give some cool downtown location as your office. Just hope that no one comes to visit you.

>> No.1014214

I'm in the exact same boat anon. You DO need to fake it a little.

- use we
- pretend to have a little size
- pretend to have a little more history
- pretend to have a little more legitimacy

It's all "kinda" true. Friends and family can be we. History can be time you discussed the business or worked in a related field. You gotta spin it.

Sorry but people don't trust people who look like noobs. But everyone has to start somewhere, so human nature is kinda bullshit.

Also dont advert on CL. CL is a waste of time. The only customers you will get are cheapskates and scammers.

so....
flyers
email blasts
word of mouth
referal
networking events
sales conferences
etc etc etc

>> No.1014227

>>1014191
Well it doesn't, but I don't want to be a 'freelancer' who gets payed a wage, but part of the business who creates value, solves problems that have an effect on the bottom

>>1014200
This is a great idea but I don't have the revenue to justify it. I only have one local client. If I could get like 2 more steady clients, this is definitely what I'll do. But for now, it's just me.

>>1014214
>You DO need to fake it a little.
I-i'm scared.

>- pretend to have a little size
- pretend to have a little more history
- pretend to have a little more legitimacy

This is what I'm doing in my CL ad. Which honestly sounds much better than my site. 5 prior years at an agency, branching out on my own now, looking to build local clients and relationships, etc....

Don't have to pay until you're satisfied (I know how horrible this is but I really need to establish myself.

>Sorry but people don't trust people who look like noobs. But everyone has to start somewhere, so human nature is kinda bullshit.

Yeah, I mean my website looks really good compared to other shit you see on CL and their ads read like they're written by 12 year olds who picked up a 'WP for dummies".

>Also dont advert on CL. CL is a waste of time. The only customers you will get are cheapskates and scammers.

I'm going to ignore you and do it anyways. But I'll keep this in mind.

>word of mouth

This is what I'm mostly relying on once I can really impress a few people. The other things.. fuck. I don't want to label myself as a spammer. It's a very small area. And group events scare me, to be honest, I'm pretty good one on one though..

Excuses, excuses...

>> No.1014253

>find a company you'd like to do business with
>contact them and arrange a meeting
>talk

>> No.1014388

>>1014181
There is no try, there is only do.

>> No.1015097

one bump then i'll let it die.

>> No.1015113

You could contact specific businesses directly rather than waiting for someone to see your ads.

>> No.1015114
File: 286 KB, 1670x1743, 1439181345385.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1014181
/biz/ meme

That "fuckin' nobody" is /pol/ meme. He once was an associate of ours. They call him Baba Yaga.

Well /pol/ meme wasn't exactly the Boogeyman. He was the one you sent to kill the fucking Boogeyman.
/pol/ meme is a man of focus, commitment, sheer will... something you know very little about. I once saw him kill three men in a bar, with a pencil. With a fucking... pencil. Then suddenly one day he asked to leave. It's over a woman, of course. So I made a deal with him. I gave him an impossible task. A job no one could have pulled off. The bodies he buried that day laid the foundation of what we are now. And then my son, a few days after his wife died, you steal his car and kill his fuckin' dog.
[irritated, turning to noob] What the... did he hear a fucking word I said?
: [pulls Iosef close, talks into his ear] Iosef! Iosef! Listen! Huh? /pol/ meme will come for you, and you will do nothing because you can do nothing. So *get the fuck out of my sight*!

>> No.1015256

>>1015114
t-thanks

>> No.1015994

>>1015114
cringe

>> No.1016088

>>1014181
>And how should I answer my phone? 'Hi, this is XX, how can I help you?' I have a separate number for biz stuff.
You want to go with something like "(Company name), This is XX, how can I help you?"

It sounds like a larger organization without actually saying anything.