[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 52 KB, 680x765, ED78A4C6-0A27-4C09-B972-F91ACBCBABED.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10061943 No.10061943 [Reply] [Original]

/biz/ I need job advice. Hoping you can all stop screeching about bears and bulls for 5 minutes to help.

I have a masters in math, degree in secondary ed, and graduated a few years ago. Been working as an adjunct teacher at the college since then. I did it because I enjoy teaching college since you experience far less babysitting and everyone there more or less lets you just teach and get into it and they’re mostly adults. Tried other levels and it fucking sucks.

The insurance is terrific, but it pays like ass. Unfortunately full time professor openings come very rarely and I feel stuck in a rut. The problem is I absolutely NEED the insurance. I’ve got Crohns Disease which I get a shot each month to keep under control to prevent debilitating pain. Tried diet changes and it helps a bit, but I’m too worried about suddenly needing treatment again to go without good insurance for too long.

Basically:
>Stuck in teaching job that pays ass but has good insurance
>Scared to leave good insurance job because it’s not guaranteed it’d be there for me again if things didn’t work out in a new job
>Feel like life is stagnating and trapped

What the fuck should I do? I got a math masters since I just like math, and I kind of like being a prof, but didn’t have a clear vision about what I can do with it beyond that and getting in as a prof is fucking hard.

Thanks /biz/

>> No.10061989

>>10061943
Actuary

>> No.10062020

Electrician. You need math skills, so you'll already be ahead, it's highly in demand and they make quite a bit of money

>> No.10062069
File: 59 KB, 645x729, DDE4B9E1-FA18-4B8D-9E02-AA18E961599F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10062020
Don’t do this OP. Nothing wrong with being an electrician but I’m sure if you learned the right skills you could do something involving electrical engineering

Why the fuck would yousugges a person with a masters in math to be an electrician?

Op should just get his actuary cents and do that

>> No.10062145

>>10061943
just keep yourself on the job market, and open to moving across the country, or a different country. maybe an acquaintance will pass you something down the grapevine
also maybe look into other fields. if you've done nothing but math you could find a profession you enjoy that has more pay potential

>> No.10062165

>>10061989
They won't hire you to be an actuary unless you're Asian.

>> No.10062167

>>10062069
Union electrician here. Pay is good in my area $40+ with pension&annuity.

I've looked into electrical engineering. I end up engineering half my own work anyways. I know I am already a far more competent engineer than most. But by the time I got the degree and started making a good wage I would have lost 5+ years of union pension. Not worth it.

Also, being a journeyman electrician with a state journeyman license is a "fuck you ticket" if you decide you hate your boss or company.

But if ordinal poster has Crohns Disease he can't do be an electrician. We are like fine tuned athletes and our bodies are part of the job.

>> No.10062312
File: 246 KB, 733x597, 517027F9-8C18-447B-BC9E-81AD1D31CEC8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10062165
I’m sure that this is the case and you’re definitely not just incompetent

>>10062167
Absolutely incredible how you managed to write all that text and only one sentence refers to op but the rest is all about you, that’s amazing

>> No.10062446

You should really find some way to use your math skills, that's probably going to net you the most money.

That said, I work in a company with a lot of instructional designers, and the department is filled with people with master's and some ph.d.'s who wanted to get the f*** out of adjuncting or teaching secondary school because they either didn't like teaching or there was just too much red tape and not enough support and the pay was shit. It's a growing field and a lot of new stuff goes on around learning management systems and delivery methods. one of them left a job at a local investment bank as an instructional designer because they didn't like the culture, but they were making bank, and most big companies hire people like that for training and professional development. Everyone also works remotely at my company, if that appeals to you it's definitely an option.

>> No.10062461

>>10062446
and obviously with a degree in secondary education and a master's you're basically instantly qualified, so you'd be a perfect candidate for most companies, plus obviously people with math skills are always in demand even in instructional design.

>> No.10062573

>>10061943
Read 'Stoner' by John Williams.

>> No.10063245

>>10062446
>>10062461
Oh shit OP here on a different computer, thank you a ton for this idea, I didn't even know there was this kind of a job. I actually have done side work with other new teachers in reviewing lesson plans and working with them to improve their courses.

Going to seriously look into this!

Fucking A /biz/ you're not all bad. Also thanks to everyone else that responded as well, you've given me more things to consider and more options. We can still be frens and give each other hope even though our shitcoins are dying.

>> No.10063309

>>10061943
Give private lessons to students, it is very profitable thing to do.
Whiteboard and clean room at your place is a must, also you can pirate some math related programs.
My friend who also has master in math makes like 3-4x what he got as junnior/mid Investment Analyst at Goldmansachs.
However keep in mind he was in business for some time now and he works 8-10hrs/day and 6days/week,
also he teaches in groups of 4 ppl but charges same amount as for private before...
After some time you will even memorize all of the typical exercises that those kids have to do.
And often protip is to do homework with them to make those fuckers happy and just do exercises from current subject in their schoolbooks.