[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 70 KB, 960x540, irrelevant time-wasting render.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
904766 No.904766 [Reply] [Original]

>have day job
>want to make short films
>Too impatient to git gud at character modeling
>wrangling actors sounds like a PITA
>Plan: buy or commission assets (environments, props, rigged characters) and only make the animations
Any downsides to this?
How expensive would this get?
Recommended resources/software?

>> No.904770

This thread and your talking points make it clear that you lack the discipline to even pull through with this ghettorigged lazy path.

>> No.905012

Downside is that you need to have a sense of art direction that your various commissioned artists are all going to have different takes on, so nothing will go together well. Also it'll be prohibitively expensive. Also, you need more discipline to make a finished product of anything.

>> No.905073

>>904766
make a storyboard. turn it into webcomic. make 3 chapters and create a kickstarter or even easier, write teen novels.

buy a camera, make high quality shorts on yt with only 1 or 2 friends or cheap craigslist ads.

the thing about art is everyone who made it hustled and scraped by for years. look at joel havier, took him 8 years to break through. but you gotta develop both your skills as an artist and ass a brand/ content creator. you can go the guerrilla way or you can start as an intern with a basic short course in editing or modelling. as >>904770
said, find a way but breaking through requires a plan and creative solution to limited resources. no shortcuts unless you can pitch to a rich friend and get them excited about your project and confident in your abilities to execute and sell the finished product for a good ROI.

>> No.905076

>>905073
cont.

if you dont have skills, youre saying you have a job? well artists wanna make art, but artists need jobs just as much as businesses need artists. so help a newbie artist create his company, be an equal partner as the CEO or majority partner if you can bring in funding, grow big enough to hire people and eventually get your own projects made. that's my strategy as someone with no skills or realistic paths to acquire them. in less than 10 years i will have a project management experience and some money saved up, enough to convince any 20 year old dreamer to start a studio together.

>> No.906119

>>905076
>>905073
>the thing about art is everyone who made it hustled and scraped by for years.

I think that's my biggest problem. I like to try a lot of things, but "making it" anywhere unconventional requires a long-term commitment to one thing, with no guarantee of success and a lot of sacrifice.
It's hard to stay motivated when there's no clear path to follow, and the rewards (social media updoots) are abstract and fleeting.

>> No.906607

>>904766
If you want to make 3D short animated films solo, you need to need to learn some degree of modelling. Assets and shit only take you so far.

>>905073
A little OT but Joel Haver is one of the most pretentious content creators I've ever seen. Remember seeing the guy all over the internet shilling these shitty home videos as "art films" and getting upset when people told him they were shit lul. Guess it pays to be stubborn though, he makes bank off of that shit now.