[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 292 KB, 2000x2000, c4d-r13-logo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
756209 No.756209 [Reply] [Original]

I've been in cg for only 1 year with a software of choice: c4d. And currently i'm starting feeling like a disabled person. It seems like almost nobody uses it as a 3ds or Maya. Almost all crafts made with cinema 4d look generic. Espesially I want to hear your opinions on modelling cuz it's the main reason I'm feeling insecure.

>> No.756210

>>756209
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and a lot of people probably feel the same about their choice.

>> No.756211

>>756209
I have 400 hrs in blender and yesterday I made my first animation in c4d , I think it's a good piece of software , the arnold renderer feels amazing , from my point of view it's a quick and fun program , don't let autodesk mfs take the better of you , it's not about the tools , it's about the maker that uses them.

>> No.756212

>>756209
Just stick with your software and get really, really good at it.

>> No.756213

>>756211
True dude, I probably should man up

>> No.756214

>>756212
Also I've seen people using different application for their needs. Should I be a whore and use lots of soft, but at the same time be with my master c4d?

>> No.756215

>>756214
I've seen that industry people want you to be good with a lot of software , you should try more pieces of software and see witch ones suit your needs.

>> No.756243

>>756209
Do you earn good money with it?
Then stick with it. Untalented idiots are making bank doing stupid and easy stuff, so why don't you?
What exactly are you doing?
I have been a C4d user for over 5 years, I dumped it because the UV tools are shit and the modelling tools are merely OK (and despite them saying they don't do shit about it). 4 years later and C4d hasn't become one bit better in that regard.
The moment I kicked C4d to the curb and went out into the wild I learned a metric fuck-ton about 3D which I didn't before, because C4d is such a protected walled garden. It was brutal at first, but i think I learned more in the 6 moths after leaving it than in the 5 years before.

So my final verdict: Use it to earn money, but definitely become a multi-tool master. Don't let the Blender Idiots confuse you - Blender is capable until it isn't (which happens quite often) and then you need a real properly working industry solution. I am not saying ignore Blender, rather tackle that Issue strategically, Blender does not go away, but you're better off using Software that is wildly used in the industry - so If you are interested in Animation, go Maya. If you just need a better modeller, Blender is an option. You also can use C4d in combination with Houdini for example. It depends on what you want to do.
You should definitely use and learn tools like Substance Painter for texturing, Zbrush for sculpting, Nuke/Fusion for compositing (if you do animations) etc...
Your long-time strategy should be to NOT be dependent on C4d (that's what they want), rather be maximum flexible and tool agnostic.

>> No.756279

C4D has the best rendering potential of any program out there, excluding inhouse solutions using other programs.

>> No.756305

>>756279
Why? That seems unlikely.

>> No.756358

>>756209
Cinema 4D is pretty much the industry standard for 3D motion graphics creation.

>> No.756373
File: 300 KB, 300x297, 516662_v1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>756279
substantiate your claims

>> No.756396
File: 26 KB, 550x550, 1m4z98.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>756279
[citation needed]

>> No.756403

>>756243
>4 years later and C4d hasn't become one bit better in that regard.
They just updated the UV tools with S22 for subscription users, and those tools will soon be available in the next R release for all users.

>>756209
I've worked in Max, C4D then Maya and then back to C4D. C4D certainly isn't best at everything but the mograph stuff is fantastic, modelling and UVing (at least now) is decent and personally I like the UI. It's very, very popular in the motion graphics sphere and some archviz people use it. It's not as versatile as Maya for games and character animation stuff but it's still ok.

>> No.756446

>>756403
>They just updated the UV tools.
Great, after users have begged them for literally 10+ years. Took them so long and they only could get it done after going the subscription route.
Fuck them. They'll never see money from me again.

>> No.756460
File: 98 KB, 645x469, visible_light_c4d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I absolutely prefer Blender especially in modelling and I hate that C4D forces you into weird mouse-based view controls, I miss Blender's mousewheel controls every second I'm in C4D.
But Blender has the advantage of being my starting point so I'm biased. C4D is a bit nicer when editing materials imho, especially before principled BSDF got introduced to Blender, I did not enjoy having to create a page spanning visual script even for just simple things.
XPresso is also at this point more accessible than Blender's equivalent options besides straight up Python.
I've only used these two programs, and I honestly prefer Blender, but I don't think C4D is shit. It works, it can do the same cool stuff that Autodesk shit can, it doesn't tend to get into your way, and it's nice for rigging.
The main things I miss in current Blender that C4D provides easily are inverse kinematics outside of armatures (which Blender to my knowledge just doesn't support) and the "visible light" option to fake mist and stuff, it's really easy in C4D and looks fine.

>> No.756743

>>756212
i use like a dozen programs for specific tasks and don't know any really good

>> No.756835

>>756209
A specific look is always the result of specific methods.
Usually some combination of doing things the same way plus using presets or defaults.
It's why a lot of sci-fi zbrush stuff textured with substance painter all looks the same, all looks "generic" because everyone uses the same shapes (partly due to realism but mostly due to copying each other) and the same materials

>> No.756843
File: 2.17 MB, 1384x1368, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MILG11
HB_MODELLING BUNDLE

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO BECOME A MODELLING PATRICIAN IN C4D

>> No.756844
File: 59 KB, 600x450, 1587273480393.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>756211
Anon, Arnold is now owned by autodesk, so you're one of the mfs too :-(
it's an amazing renderer though

>> No.756845

>>756844
offtopic but did they change something about spoilers I'm not aware of ? I was always using Ctrl+S and never had problems like what happened here.
Guess I'll try a manual one: test123

>> No.756846

>>756209
I think it's decent and easy to use.
Though I think a lot of the renders look super off and sterile, and it's hard to pin down why.

I also don't like all the derivative trash that gets posted on Instagram using it. It's all the same shit. The group of people that use C4D are almost as bad as the Blender Cult. Almost.

>> No.756882

>>756209
post werk.
c4d is fine for most if not all jobs you could do.