[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 155 KB, 1024x1024, image0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
744626 No.744626 [Reply] [Original]

Why do games use weird cg

>> No.744632

What kind of a shitty question is this? Get the fuck out if you are not gonna put any effort into the OP.

>> No.744647

games use weird cg because they generally need to render in real time, while cg in movies and videos do not have any such limits and can render for as long as it takes to get a desired fidelity

>> No.744654

>>744647
I think he means why do the pre-rendered FMVs in older early-mid 2000s games tend to look like some kids first blender animation. I don't think he's talking about the in-engine cut scenes where the characters prattle on about some shit.

I think the FMVs look like shit because of lack of experience/skill and the studio was too cheap to buy the software to make actually good FMVs. I mean ffs look up how they made the FMVs for Silent Hill on PS1. It was basically one guy who convinced management to use pre-rendered videos instead of engine cutscenes and for a while he was the only one making the FMVs. And he wasn't really all that experienced either.

>> No.744664

Because they think coffee is good for you

>> No.744687

>>744626
Restate your question

>> No.745380 [DELETED] 

bůmp

>> No.746031

>>744632
This

>> No.746049

>>744626
Various reasons such as:
to keep frame rate smooth while depicting scenes too visually complex and rich in effects to run in real time.
to mask loading sequences.
To generate hype among people who don't understand the disconnect from the actual gameplay.
Spare the necessity of having to generate 360 scenes for events you want to depict.
Being able to inter cut between events that takes place at different locations or on opposite side of an existing environment where loading in the
LOD meshes would not be fast enough.

In Squares case it is also the case they have a lot of experience in working with prerendered scenes since they used to be a necessity
to drive the narrative in their older games. Later they also entered into actual film production so they have the inhouse know-how
readily on hand to spice up key scenes in their games.

>> No.747532

>is coffee good for you?

>> No.749987

>>744654
>>746049
not OP but thanks learn cool and new today

>> No.750030

>>747532
That's like asking if candy is good for you.
It's got no nutritional benefit, so it isn't "good for you", but it's not bad for you either.
Coffee is just a vehicle to deliver a drug to your system. In this case the drug is caffeine.
I can't imagine people drink coffee because "it tastes good". Then again, there are some weirdos out there.