[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 43 KB, 428x466, Its+from+komisan+wa+komyushou+desu+its+about+a+girl+_e81588cb399f9ae3b40c9e2807052e40.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
743647 No.743647 [Reply] [Original]

Question thread,
Old >>>739869

>> No.743648

I'll start, anyone know how to create real terrain with sheer cliffs. Not realistic, but literally real cliffs using 16bit minimum hight data.

>> No.743649
File: 366 KB, 1140x641, god of war.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the best way to UV map a face?

>> No.743650

>>743649
Best way to unwrap it or to map it? because that image is a very good way to map it.

>> No.743660
File: 301 KB, 986x580, UV face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743649
I used to do it a lot like your example there but these days I'm less concerned about having seams in my UV than I am with stretching
so I cut up the surface into more UV islands that causes me to have a few more seams but way less stretching everywhere which is more beneficial to how I edit texture.

As with most things there is no real 'best way' of doing this and you're talking pros and cons with various approaches.
my tip would be to worry less about finding the 'absolutely-most-worldtier-industrystandard-4D-chess-optimal-ultimate-way of doing X'
and instead go for what is good enough for you at your current level of understanding and be willing to change it when once you can think of a better way.

>> No.743676

What's the best approach to edge or box modelling humans?

>> No.743682
File: 176 KB, 464x753, thawpohlowjyh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743676
Find good images or video of the person/type of person you want to make, start figuring out where the loops need to flow to best capture that surface.
When polymodelling generally operate on edges, boxmodelling is for the most part just a more elaborate (retarded) way of going about things.

This is a picture I made when someone asked a similar question a while back, I don't actually paint stuff like this to figure out the topology
but it illustrates how I think internally about what I'm looking at while exploring images of my subjectmatter.
Make sure to study up on the concepts commonly know as 'spacing' and 'edge flow' if it seems at all mysterious why it looks like that.

First stage is just to figure out where the key loops will flow, then as I start building the surface I figure out the in between topology that will allow
these loops to connect cleanly and quaded with a minimum amount of poles or triangles (which both are equally undesired but unavoidable).

>> No.743731

>>743647
Noob question, but what would be a good way to make some cliff-face geometry? I want more depth than a normal can provide, and need to be able to bring the model out of blender into a game engine.

>> No.743734

So this CG Cookie guy shows how to model a human, I'm stuck at eyes because I can't decide whether they need to be anatomically correct (round sphere) or can be a form of ellipse?
As a beginner I probably won't be able to reach realism in the near 5 years so I'll keep it simple regardless.

So, are ellipse eyeballs okay, at least for cartoonish style?

>> No.743735
File: 135 KB, 1514x590, stackedDisplacement.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743731
To make dramatic rockformations in any software you can use stacked displacement maps. That is, displace already displaced geometry so you get things poking out the normals of the already non planear geometry.

Here's an example I made.

>> No.743736

>>743735
Neat. How do I make a displacement map? (You know, besides using the spray can in paint)

>> No.743738
File: 290 KB, 1447x803, displacementDemo2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743736
You can model, sculpt, generate your geometry using any method, when you're done you either use texture baking and bake it as a displacement map to a plane or if you're OG you can just UV map everything with a flatlit gradient like this and render it from the top.

>> No.743739
File: 259 KB, 2364x806, displacementDemo3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743738
and to make it tile seamlessly you can for example offset a copy of it in photoshop and blend it using lighten like this.

>> No.743740
File: 919 KB, 1081x548, pupil.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743734
I'm asking cuz a round eyeball fits only if you rotate it in Z axis. Do it and the pupil is not at the centre of the eye anymore.

Also because this series aren't finished and the modeller definitely wasn't preapring the mesh for animation.

>> No.743776

How do I determine which way my tris should go? I think I have a general idea - "which way they flow", but more often than not that gets me to just work through trial and error.

>> No.744041
File: 227 KB, 1004x1200, ENXV9t8WkAASGf7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are good proportions for tabletop miniatures?I'm thinking bigger hands and feet than normal but are there references, a guide or something on sculpting miniatures?

>> No.744072
File: 144 KB, 998x350, hairPb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know why tube groom on maya 2019 takes so long to process? These are my settings to test it out, and generating the curves of ONE tube takes about 2-3 minutes.

Using Ryzen 9 3950x, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

>> No.744086

This is not very 3d oriented, but does anyone knows where can i get information about hard surface design principles? I watched Arrimus's videos and i want to learn more. I'm looking for a book maybe?

>> No.744119
File: 1.37 MB, 1920x1080, ToonFaceMaterialTest.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know how to smooth out the shadows on my face here? Using blender eevee.

>> No.744144

>>744119
nevermind, figured something out

>> No.744195

How do I make details from multires carry over to subdiv in blender?

>> No.744197
File: 187 KB, 533x775, wskjhASJKCAJCFGAJSDGFJKSD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

can someone fucking explain what I'm doing wrong

I'm following the blender guru's tutorial and my program isn't showing the settings he's telling me to use

left is his, right is mine

this is the timestamp where he tells me to change the displacement settings
https://youtu.be/Rh5gAQLtOls?t=351

I don't fucking see those settings when I look at that tab. The options he wants me to use aren't fucking there

>> No.744201

>>744197
okay apparently those settings only show up if your render engine is set to cycles. I was using eevee because my pc is a toaster

god this program pisses me off. it's a great program I keep running into problems that I don't understand what I did wrong and end up having to either google or start over from scratch

>> No.744202

>>743649
In the few times I had to uv a face, it was the easiest uv i've had to do. Literally any tutorial to see where to cut and you're golden (in my past experience) Granted you have clean topo and a human face.

>> No.744214

>download obj/fbx prerigged from the net
>import into ue4
>texture dropped of
>download another import again
>no skeleton just a mesh
>try again and again
>try import into blender and exporting with ue4 addon
>cant because blender has some sort of multiple parts of a character

I just want to download FF or DOA models put them in UE4 and animate them, why the fuck does this have to be such a hassle?

Any good guide for this? All guides are like "lol just drag it in and click export!" Shit never works

>> No.745351 [DELETED] 

bbbbuuuummmmpppp

>> No.745469
File: 501 KB, 1315x953, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743647
How do I do it bros?

>> No.745475

>>744214
Game models often have in-engine controlled rigs and additional script systems that are not visible to a ripper or something you can store in a fbx/obj etc.
Meaning the version of a character one steal from a game will need some degree of extra touch up work by an experienced techartist
to make it viable to be reused as an asset in another project.

Most people that are into ripping game models and publicize them prob don't have these skills
(since they're ripping game models and not creating their own OC).

Creating a curated collection of ripped gamemodels that are suitable to be reused would be a lot of extra work for the people hosting those kind of sites.
I've cleaned up a few ripped models myself from noteworthy titles just to figure out how they're put together in order to learn by reverse engineering.
I would not publicize such work anywhere myself as it doesn't belong to me and anyone serious about learning rather than stealing can do exactly what I did and rip it themselves.

Helping koomers koom is not on my todo list.

>> No.745579

How does texel density work for movies? They just use a shitton of UV maps for everything, right? Is vertex painting even a thing there like it is in games? Do they also consider the distance an object will be seen at, so they might texture a whole building with one 2k map if it's far away, or would they still detail it to the max anyway?

I'm a game artist but am doing some cinematic and now I'm thinking about the workflow and if I can change some things a bit, so I'm planning to just texture some big ass objects in Substance Painter since they will only be shown from a far away. I may not even need multiple UV slots for that, since as I'm rendering in 1080p, even 1k texture could be enough in theory, if it's far enough away, right?

Is that ok approach, or am I missing something?

>> No.745581

>>745469
You may want to try the shader to RGB node in EEVEE.

This series of tutorials may also be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd9i2MKimSaKezat1xkn8-A/videos

>> No.745582

>>745579
For quality you want the texel density to be about twice that of the target resolution for as close to camera as you plan to have the given model. That way it'll always look as intended under sampling.

So for far away stuff it varies, some things are easier to create at a higher resolution, other things are easier to create at a lower resolution.

>> No.745589

Does anybody know why I keep getting a black line over a part of my model when I bake high to low in SP? It only happens on curvature and AO maps for some reason, not even on normal map.

>> No.745641

How do I work out where to put my triangles to achieve certain shading? I have a general idea of how to do it, but I'm not sure

>> No.745761
File: 269 KB, 1715x881, received_666073097458811.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm sorry but i'm just 2 days new into this whole 3D thing and somehow I manged to make this. Messy but still it's something lol. But when i tried to upload it on sketchfab it had this black areas and I dont know how to fix it. Can anyone help me pls

>> No.745799

I'm hella drunk and retarded but just wanted to post my stupid idea before I pass out in bed. why can't we just go to sketchfab or any (hard to rip) game, record your screen while panning around the 3d model(s) and then put the converted image sequence in one of those fancy point cloud programs, like meshroom? something tells me this wont work, but I can't logically figure it out. Gonna try it tomorrow unless someone beats me to it with an answer. yes I know you just get the geometry with textures and no rig, but it's better than nothing I guess.

>> No.745803

>>745799
>my stupid idea
If it works it ain't stupid.
And yes it works. You saw that Quixel video were they replicated that Counterstrike level?
The guy did exactly that to get an proper 3d reference. He captured lots of screenshots in counterstrike then ran them through some photogrammetry program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi7A6D0TDfQ

>> No.745854

>>745803
been a while but I even watched that vid when it came out. guess I wasnt paying attention, thanks for the reminder

>> No.745855

I picked up blender and started trying to learn it as a way to gain an actual skill instead of being useless during the quarantine.

I'm beginning to wonder how useful it is to know blender, though. I read the faq and the part about learning techniques being more important than knowing the program resonates with me.

How true is that, though? Are there any common but important techniques that are only doable in maya/3dsmax? Like something that changes how you would even approach something basic?

>> No.745856 [DELETED] 

>>743649
How would you create a texture for this now? I'm imagining just creating a highly distorted texture but know that's not right.

>> No.745859 [DELETED] 

>>743649
How would you create a texture for this now? I'm imagining just creating a highly distorted texture but know that's not right.

Assuming I wanted to use an image texture for anything else that has a warped uv like this.

>> No.745861 [DELETED] 

How would you create a texture for this now? Or anything with a warped uv? Assuming I wanted to use an image texture for it.

>> No.745862

>>743649
How would you create a texture for this now? Or anything with a warped uv? Assuming I wanted to use an image texture for it.

>> No.745864

>>743647
How do I make my renders decent looking in max with mental ray gone? ART seems to produce some grainy shit and is weird with lights, Arnold is weird when it comes to materials. I swear everything looks better when I use cycles in blender without setting up anything than it looks in max with scenes and lights set up.

>> No.745867

Can anyone recommend a good guide for animating in blender? I've seen a few of em, that talks about keyframes etc, but I've not found one that properly explains the idea behind getting smooth animations

>> No.745918

>>743647
Do any of you guys sell models or assets online?
Whats a good place to do it and how fast do stuff to sell?
How long would it take me to make 50-100 bucks with intermediate level skills?

>> No.745941

When I sculpt a zbrush character and use multiple pieces, should I later fuse them together, and if so, how should I do that? ie. Hair and head, or if the char has big ears or something.

>> No.745975

>>745855
no, not really. if you learn blender, you'll be able to use the knowledge in most if not any other 3D application such as 3ds max, maya, cinema4d etc. just gotta get used to the different UI and know about special quirks every package has.

>> No.745980

>>745941
Ears should be part of the head mesh but hair should be separate.

>> No.745987

>>745582
how high-poly are movie models anyway, and what level of detail do they go to? I mean, they can just throw absurd rendering farms at shit, so does it take anything more than a big-ass mega-poly model to make something like pixar chars or superhero CG? I'm also curious about how they even animate shit when it's that high-poly. Do they have god machines that are capable of manipulating a ton of polys without a sweat, or is there a technique to it, like animating a low-res model and then dropping in an identically-rigged high-res for the render?

>> No.745988

>>745980
when I try to make ears out of the same mesh as the head it looks like ass, what tools should I use to make a good deformation? Do I need to add more definition/poly density at those points?

Also curious if eyes are usually part of the head or separate like they are in traditional block modeling

>> No.746055

>>745975
That's really reassuring to hear. I'ts difficult for me to maintain focus on anything for very long, and I was doing pretty good with keeping interest in it, long enough to recreate my room.

I kind of began losing interest in learning blender because of my worries. I'll keep at it though.

>> No.746081

>>745862
Wondering this as well. I'm wanting to texture a computer mouse to look like a specific mouse (razer naga) using photos I have, but not sure how to apply them due to the uv map being weird. Is there some way to morph the image texture to fit the uv?

>> No.746090

I tried googling this but i think I might not know what terms I'm looking for. Is there a way to specify relative paths for textures UP one level in a .mtl?
Something like
>newmtl TEX_0
>map_Kd ..\dds\texture00.dds

Or does it all have to be generic paths going down?
Ripping some game assets and by default the textures are up a level from the folder the obj is in, but the mtl wants them in the same folder, so I'm trying to figure out if I can just point it up one level. There's also a chance that some of the models (I have thousands) may re-use textures, so I don't really want to have to make copies of the textures to move into the obj folder if I can help it.

Folder structure looks like this right now:
>folder\obj\model_name1\model_name1.obj and model_name1.mtl
>folder\obj\model_name2\model_name2.obj and model_name2.mtl
>folder\obj\model_name3\model_name3.obj and model_name3.mtl
>etc.
>folder\dds\*.dds

>> No.746092

>>746090
Nevermind, all of a sudden it just works the way I thought it would.

>> No.746101

so, if i download a crack of maya full version and install it, do i have to worry about the autodesk application manager or any kind of background software sending a license or piracy report back to autodesk?

out of work and looking to spruce up my portfolio and maya is what i'm trained on. i could take the time to learn blender, i'm not opposed to it, but i'd prefer maya and with the recent changes you cant use the student license anymore (been out of uni too long and let my personal license drop since i had a work license)

>> No.746368
File: 699 KB, 768x947, 1575890076798.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When the fuck is Pixologic going to fix their servers? I have the Zbrush trial and I haven't been able to log into Zbrush for nearly a week now what the fuck is going on

>> No.746369

Test

>> No.746375

>>746101
Use a firewall and block all that shit from phoning home.
Check your taskmanager / startup - disable that autodesk genuine service. Deinstall that desktop app too - Done.

>> No.746733

Are there any good brushes in Substance Painter that imitates a physical airbrush with very fine spatter?

>> No.746759

>>746101
>>746375
Same for Cinema 4d/Octane?

>> No.746762

>>746759
Yes, always block everything you can. Even if you bought a valid license, why would you want all these programs phone home without your consent? Block that shit. Makes your computer more safe the more doors and windows are shut close.

>> No.746763

>>746762
Doesn't work with Foundry products.

>> No.746769

>>745988
If you are going for AAA quality then a head could be at least 30k polys. It needs to be as smooth as possible. Eyes are separate spheres you can even have a separate caruncle and eye wetness mesh. Make it as anatomically correct as possible.

>> No.746773

>>746101
I cant even find a crack for a recent version of maya/3dsm :(

>> No.746777

>>746763
The magic method for using all of their tools without them even knowing is to use an offline workstation. Or simply pull the internet cable and don't plug it in again until you have rebooted (after you finished your work in Nuke/Katana/Mari).
Having an offline workstation is THE best method for keeping your computer safe. Not even the NSA can access such an PC.

>> No.746906

Can sculpting be done efficiently using only a mouse? Or do I need to invest on some other tools?

>> No.746909

>>746906
Sculpting with a mouse is perfectly sufficient. I own several generation of wacom tablets that I frequently use for 2D drawing/painting and texture work but for example here >>743728 I used nothing but my mouse.

For me using a tablet for sculpting is the exception. The pressure sensitive aspect can be good for somethings but generally I prefer the hold and drag precision of a mouse over a tablet.

>> No.746927

Directions to somewhat recent cracked copies of maya/3dsm?

>> No.747012

>>746906
>Can sculpting be done efficiently using only a mouse?
no
> Or do I need to invest on some other tools?
You need a tablet
>>746909
ignore this retard

>> No.747023
File: 27 KB, 500x413, kjymmVW.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where the fuck am I supposed to go to learn how to make a decent pussy?
every time I try it ends up really long, but trying to study other models is impossible with the amount of clipping & shitty topology they all have

>> No.747027

>>747023
Have you tried learning how to model? If you know how to make shapes you just have to look at picture of V (there are many places on the internet you can find such pictures) and then recreate those shapes on your computer with your favorite modelling software.

>> No.747039

>>747012
Some people do cling hard to their tablet, but the idea you absolutely must have one to be able to sculpt is 100% false.
I grew up playing lot of shooter games and making precise mouse movements to me is just very natural and relaxed.
If given the choice between only tablet and only mouse for sculpting I'd go with my mouse any day.

>> No.747043

>>747012
It's just a different way of working. The guy you called a retard gave much better reasons that you did.

>> No.747052

>>747039
Sculpting must be very slow without pressure sensitivity, unless you keep changing it via hotkeys, which would just be tedious. I can't imagine doing it without a tablet.
I wonder why there are no pressure sensitive mice (mouses?) on the market, I feel like that would be the prefect solution for both sculpting and box modelling. Where can I fund this?

>> No.747053 [DELETED] 

Is this board useful at least for advice/opinions? I am trying to create a social media art account with my own CG artwork. It's mostly into the vaporwave/outrun theme. I just wanna know if it would get me somewhere or I should find another hobby.

>> No.747054

Is this board useful at least for advice/opinions? I am trying to create a social media art account with my own CG artwork. It's mostly into the vaporwave/outrun theme. I already have like 500 followers. I just wanna know if it would get me somewhere or I should find another hobby.

>> No.747055

>>747054
Are you doing anything new or inspired? Or are you just copping things you've seen and maybe animating them? This is a rhetorical question, It can't hurt but a most it may be something you can show during an interview and get a "oh nice, thats cool"

>> No.747056

>>747055
Most of my ideas are original. When I find another great posts, I make sure to add some originality. I do only simple animations because my laptop is weak

>> No.747057

>>747055
An 90% of my posts are photos

>> No.747102
File: 798 KB, 827x737, asd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

is there a better way to get detail near the cursor than to have those diagonal loop cuts?

>> No.747107
File: 1.48 MB, 1776x1096, normals wrong.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743647
i have this object that has a mirrored UV for certain faces, when i generated a normal map for some reason the mirroed face does this. can anyone help me out? should i not be mirroring UV?

>> No.747126

>>747107
it seems to be photoshop's normal map generation that is causing the issue. now im very confused..

>> No.747128

>>747126
If you're using mirrored geometry that uses the same normalmap for both sides you need to make sure your UV islands are not connected at the seam. Otherwise it will sorta tell the program the geometry normal points in two opposite directions simultaneously and you'll get major artifacts.

>> No.747134

what can vertex colors do that textures can't?

any vertex color information can just be baked out as a texture.
i know vertex colors can be assigned without uv maps, but i always uv my models just in case. so what use do they have?

>> No.747135

>>747134
When you write a shader the vertex colors are available in the 'vertex shader' that takes place first and then sends information to the 'pixel shader'.
You can use the color data of the vertices to do various exoitic effects at that level of shading.
Maybe you have like a character with a vertex value for how loose the flesh is at that vertex and you displace it at render time to give it a bit of a softbody look.
Things like that, basically it's a a way to differentiate between vertices "do this but only if it's red" etc.

>> No.747139

Any anons here have examples of Blender rendered still life of the same quality as Maya?
Would like to see some examples that dont look like they were molded with playdoh or clay.

>> No.747166

>>747128
ill try this but when i use a random normal map i found i do not have this issue. seems to be only with the ones photoshop is creating. for which i have other normal maps for non mirrored objects.

>> No.747168

>>747166
make sure your green and red channels are pointing in the right directions and don't need to be swapped around. Different apps uses different conventions for what axis point where so you often have to reorder them manually to fit your target application.

>> No.747169

>>747168
how do i change them

>> No.747170

>>747169
In photoshop you'd look at the channels and see if the black and white are pointing in the same direction as a normal map that is working properly, if not you'd invert them (select everything and go ctrl+i) to flip direction or copy one into the slot of the other if left/right up/down is swapped.

>> No.747201
File: 537 KB, 809x831, 1565583008510.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What would be the best way to make these cuts in the geometry while keeping good topology?

>> No.747208

>>747139
Try to find some Megascans assets rendered in Blender

>> No.747225

>>747039
I mean sure, you can paint by sticking a brush up your asshole too, but that doesn't mean that holding a paint brush in your hand isn't more effective.

>>747043
It's a inferior way of working. Try drawing with a mouse and then dry drawing with a tablet. See which one feels more natural. Oh, and ask literally any industry professional. This isn't up to debate.

>> No.747232

>>747225
>Try drawing with a mouse and then dry drawing with a tablet. See which one feels more natural.

Sculpting isn't drawing.

>Oh, and ask literally any industry professional.

Well, guess what anon.

>> No.747243

>>747225
>Try drawing with a mouse and then dry drawing with a tablet.
>Oh, and ask literally any industry professional.
Okay, industry professional here, drawing with a pencil feels most natural to me. I don't use a tablet to draw, but I know people who do. I know people who only ever use their computer, too.

>This isn't up to debate.
It is, even if you won't take that brush out of your asshole. You have a favourite input method, that's okay and up to you, but you don't get to tell everyone they're retards for not doing the same as you. And like anon says, sculpting isn't even drawing.

>> No.747253

>>747135
i take it you're referring to realtime rendering?

my background is geared more towards non-realtime, so i haven't done any shader programming.
the closest i've gotten was feeding vectors through a string of math operations in a node editor. from that perspective, it seemed to me vertex colors and textures were evaluated at the same time on render.

the basis of my question was that i thought it would be cool to store a layer of information (glossiness/roughness/etc.) as vertex colors that are always associated with that specific model.
since i eventually want to get into amateur game-dev, what data would you recommend i store in vertex colors as apposed to storing in a texture to maximise their usefulness?

>> No.747254
File: 391 KB, 1440x900, DonutMaker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>747201

Add a loop cut(or edge loop if you prefer, different name, same thing) between each boolean to isolate them. Then, all you have to do is to connect the door vertices to the top wall vertices. Another way is to create the shape of the door with a horizontal edge loop at the top and 2 vertically. But for clean topology just follow the main method. Make sure to isolate each boolean with an edge loop on 2 sides (add the loops before the boolean of course).

Here's a pic

>> No.747255

>>747232
>>747243
the fact that weirdos exist that would rather make a given shape with 30 clicks of a mouse rather than a single pressure stroke on a tablet does not change the fact that 99% of sculpting is done with tablets and anyone looking to get into it needs to try one because they will almost certainly find it to be an enormous improvement over a mouse. actively hurting a newbie by tricking him into not getting a tablet because you're a special snowflake contrarian is fucking awful and you fags know it.

>> No.747256

>>747232

Stop making excuses for being a poorfag who cannot afford a freaking $100 tablet.

>> No.747257

>>747253
>what data would you recommend i store in vertex colors

some common realtime cases:

-masks for texture blending usually multiplied with a heightmap, good for mossy rocks, puddles on roads etc.
-masks for procedural animation, a sinusoid moving a fish left and right can be tempered with a falloff stored in vert colors so it looks like a swimming motion.
-sub-object pivots, again for animation. for example tree leaf billboards always facing the camera done on the GPU.
-AO, it usually doesn't need to be high res.

I think most programs clamp vertex colors to a 0-1 range, if you want flexibility try storing your floats in UVs instead so you get the full signed range.

>> No.747258
File: 410 KB, 1240x801, 1578637346344.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>747254
Heh, it's no door. It's the back of the Turok 2 flare. Thanks for the reply. Here's what I ended up doing.

>> No.747260

>>747255
If anon wants to buy a tablet that is perfectly fine. However anon asked if sculpting can be done efficiently with a mouse.
Seeing how I sculpt with the mouse despite having the tablet here next to me I answered anon's question.

Perhaps it is your conformism that has gotten out of hand if any deviation from what you deem to be normal makes one into a
'contrarian snowflake' who tricks people with deviant 'fucking awful' workflows construed to hurt them.

Like you're assigning a choice of input device these almost satanic qualities here.

>>747256

But I'm not, I own like 6 tablets and a cintiq (an older model with really horrible input lag). I sculpt with the mouse because: works best for me.
If you wanna buy a tablet go ahead. But again, that was not what was asked.

>> No.747262

>>747243
>It is, even if you won't take that brush out of your asshole. You have a favourite input method, that's okay and up to you, but you don't get to tell everyone they're retards for not doing the same as you. And like anon says, sculpting isn't even drawing.
Biomechanics dictate what is the most effective input method. If you prefer using inferior tool, you're simply not properly trained and your instincts are wrong. You would have superior results if you switched to the correct tool for the job. Wielding a brush with your asshole is inherently a inferior way to using it, just as using a mouse instead of a pressure sensitive stylus is for sculpting. It's really not subjective. And yes, drawing skills have a massive overlap with sculpting.

>> No.747264

>>747258

Oh I see. What you did is perfectly fine.

>> No.747265

>>747255
>actively hurting a newbie by tricking him into not getting a tablet because you're a special snowflake contrarian is fucking awful
That's not the case, though. I'm not saying it's not worth trying a tablet ever, if he tries it and finds he works better that way, good for him, but it's an apples to oranges comparison and you can't say that someone is being a snowflake because they won't use a tablet. I'm used to drawing by hand, and I don't use tablets, and yet others do, despite centuries of people not using tablets and producing better art, and there's nothing wrong with that.

>>747262
>Biomechanics dictate what is the most effective input method.
>Wielding a brush with your asshole is inherently a inferior way
No, the tool you prefer is not necessarily the superior tool, it's just the tool you like using. It's not like you're using a brush as a chisel, you're perfectly capable of producing fine art with a mouse, just as you are with a tablet. It depends on you.

> It's really not subjective.
We're all still waiting for you post something objective in support of your purism, oh great sperglord of tablets. What is this autistic fixation with your way or the highway? Are you a programmer or something? Only a retard non artist would blame his tools in this way.

>> No.747267
File: 242 KB, 1800x1012, sperglord.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>747265
>Only a sperglord deals in absolutes.

>> No.747269
File: 36 KB, 600x600, duckduckpoo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>747012
I try to refrain from posting in the generals, wips, and the ask question threads in order to give those that are actively contributing on the board, space from my criticism. However I do like to lurk sometimes, read questions, and post answers to those that aren't getting the help they need. This discussion about tablets has gone on long enough. It just takes a simple look at which one is more arduous.

Can you sculpt without a tablet? Yes. I do it every day, usually by using the move tool in zBrush to reposition areas I dislike in the current sculpt. It just saves time, it's less annoying than using a stylus for large amounts of time to move tiny fractions of a pixel. But is using only a mouse more efficient than using a tablet? I would have to say no, for one simple reason: your input for output. The input you use is energy, which is your clicking and dragging a mouse. Scribbling with a stylus is exponentially easier to make larger, more varying amounts of detail, multiplied the more abstract in the pipeline you go. For instance, I would argue a mouse can be used solely in the production of an AAA character if the artist uses a base mesh, or models one in Maya/3DS/Blender package. By doing this you would only need to reposition bone structure, body sizes, and more macro details in order to have a completed highpoly. This pipeline can be done in a reasonable amount of time. But to make a character from scratch (like I often do), from a sphere (good practice), it is painful to use only a mouse. A mouse does not have pressure sensitivity, it only operates in a 1 or a 0. Binary. With a stylus (tablet), you operate between 0-1, meaning at every level you work in analog, a more "organic" workflow. When push comes to shove on a mouse you will need to change pressure sensitivity, change brush width, change your settings much more than with a stylus, all because of pressure sensitivity. (continued)

>> No.747271

>>747269
I can press down 1/5 the way and never have to change my setting, even in a shortcut, because pressure sensitivity is there for me. Five seconds later I can press down 1/2 the way and never have to change my settings. Two seconds later I can press down all the way and still, never have to change my settings. A mouse adds more time to this process, and the more from scratch you work from, the more tedious this will become. One other thing that has helped me learn was automatically off the bat buying a screen tablet. I would likely have gotten frustrated with being disconnected from looking down like you do on paper, so I decided to forego that headache and just start from a display tablet. In three days I could make a basic bust that looked mediocre but presented all the right anatomy. In less than two weeks I made my first real character, with good proportions and decent, stylized anatomy. In less than a month I made my first polished stylized character, akin to Overwatch and Apex Legends quality. Less than a year later I was making semi-realistic characters that you might find in PUBG or Skyrim, etc. And although my quality isn't at the level of photorealism, I can safely say I am close to them now, from handcrafting my sculpts with a tablet.

The bottom line is that you can create characters that look nice from a mouse. But is it really worth the objective extra time you will be handing over doing so? In the end use what you want, but there is objectivity here, and it comes in the form of time and efficiency.

>> No.747300

>>747271
>there is objectivity here, and it comes in the form of time and efficiency.
You said yourself, in the first post, that a mouse is quicker and that's why you use it every day without a tablet. dumb pepeavatar man

>When push comes to shove on a mouse you will need to change pressure sensitivity, change brush width, change your settings much more than with a stylus, all because of pressure sensitivity.
Is this not merely more control, that may not always be appropriate, but not an objective flaw? I understand if there's things you'd rather do on a tablet, because there's things I'd prefer not to do on a PC, but it's for the birds isn't it? It depends, and it depends on you. If it takes a while longer or shorter, it's ultimately whether you want to do that that matters most, doesn't it? Is this an art board or a sweat shop for chinese mobile asset modelers?
>you wan tark andrew price, you bring mei donut, lao wei!
I can tell from this conversation, that this sort of horse hair vs chihuahua hair brush arguing is not something a beginner should really care about. When he's good at using whatever he uses, then he can care, and fine tune his way of working.

>> No.747302 [DELETED] 

>>747300
Tablet is objectively easier when on a detail oriented character, anon. The move tool is relatively easier on a mouse though, yes. Part of it has to do with physical positioning and literal gravity, i.e consumption of gravity.

The answer that best suits him is 'which one is easier?' The tablet is most often the answer.

>> No.747304 [DELETED] 

>>747302
Consumption of energy*

>> No.747305

>>747300
Tablet is objectively easier when on a detail oriented character, anon. The move tool is relatively easier on a mouse though, yes. Part of it has to do with physical positioning and literal gravity, i.e consumption of energy. The answer that best suits him is 'which one is easier?' The tablet is most often the answer.

>> No.747326

>>747305
>Tablet is objectively easier when on a detail oriented character, anon
It depends on what details, doesn't it? You may want the consistency and adjustability of mouse performed actions and way of working. Or you may prefer to use one over the other for completely ambiguous reasons, because it feels nice to use a mouse or tablet. What is this "Heh, I work exactly 25% than those theists after accounting for gravity and wind conditions" bullshit?

>The answer that best suits him is 'which one is easier?' The tablet is most often the answer.
Said the avatarfag who sculpts without a tablet every day, in a discussion where only one person regularly uses his. Look, I encourage anon at some point after this quarantine, to go into a shop and actually try using a tablet. A few times, even. If he likes it, he might consider buying one. But it's very far from being a necessity, and it's dishonest to portray it as such a biblical saviour, when most of the tablets in this thread have ended up gathering dust.

>> No.747335
File: 1.44 MB, 1560x1280, NormalsStillWrong.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>747326
>>747107
welp my normals are still being shaded oddly when i do this. i guess this is poor form for 3d unwrapping ? ill have to redo this without inverting the UV . i wish i knew this before. fucking hell

>> No.747351
File: 134 KB, 433x512, sssss.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you go about texturing faux 3d stuff like handles, hinges, etc? Drawing? Modeling then baking somehow? Pic for an example. Flowers, hinges, crescent - how are they done?

>> No.747352 [DELETED] 

>>747326
All you're really typing is sophism, in a nonchalant, dismissive attitude. It's unacceptable behavior and shows a lack of knowledge. I use the mouse 10% of my workflow, the rest is done sculpting. The move tool can be used on a tablet, but after some time it is just more comfortable to use a mouse due to energy consumption. The facts that remain are these:
>A tablet is more energy efficient than a mouse due to extra steps the mouse must use every single action
>A mouse does not have micro detail efficiency
>A tablet can work in both macro and micro efficiency better than a mouse
I think this lays out the point, a mouse in zBrush is just a waste of time unless you are working through a very specific workflow (base meshes). Outside of that, like the context I have laid out, a mouse is objectively less efficient than a tablet. You saying "choose what you want, they're both the same" in a dismissive counter, is a flippant inaccuracy done on purpose. There is literal, physical differences to working with either, and a mouse, while fine with the move tool, suffers with clay, standard, custom brushes, clip brushes, etc. The only brushes it can be better than a tablet is again, the move tool, due to energy efficiency.

I will restate that yes, you can use whatever you like, but a tablet is capable of efficient micro and macro details in an uninterrupted workflow. The mouse is not, and only is capable of broad, macro details without constant interruption. I will not be replying anymore nor perhaps reading your counter, as I believe you're just trolling, but you are free to give your last rebuttal, for any lurkers reading this discussion. The tablet is objectively, through a physical lens of energy consumption, better overall. And in my opinion, that makes it easier to use, and that's the most important of all.

>> No.747354
File: 166 KB, 1100x619, E4315AA6-7875-4EB1-83CB-4274EE6C94EA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How would you guys approach modelling this? Not the car itself but the bargeboard/aero area with all the fins and vanes.

It looks complicated yet when analysed, it’s all simple but I don’t know where to start. It’s overwhelming, I do have a decent front and side view of this area, the top view has it covered with shadows though.

Tips would be appreciated.

>> No.747355

>>747326
All you're really typing is sophism, in a nonchalant, dismissive attitude. It's unacceptable behavior and shows a lack of knowledge. I use the mouse 10%-15% of my workflow, the rest is done sculpting the highpoly. The move tool can be consistently used on a tablet, the whole point of stating I use the mouse is to give specifications on energy consumption. But again:
>A tablet is more energy efficient overall than a mouse is due to extra steps the mouse must use every single time you must switch your brush width, and z-depth. The Tablet does not suffer from this because of Pressure Sensitivity.
>A mouse does not have micro detail efficiency and it shows when attempting to create custom micro detail on the sculpt. While yes, I use the mouse with the move tool sometimes, this is not to be conflated with being the same as a tablet in terms of micro detail effiency. The reason you use a mouse with the move tool is because it does not require you to be looking over your tablet. And you can instead relax into a position of laziness. From here, you work slowly with the mouse, correcting anatomy where you see fit, manually adjusting the brush width and fov. It is a time consuming process and is not meant to be considered an equal output tool compared to a tablet. It is just there for comfort and a more relaxed modifier.
>A tablet can work in both macro and micro efficiency better than a mouse, explained above.
A mouse only in zBrush is less efficient use of time unless you are working through a very specific workflow (base mesh characters), or inorganics, ie environment art. Outside of that, like the context I have laid out, i.e what this entire conversation is about, a mouse is objectively less efficient than a tablet for custom character creation. I will not be responding anymore but you are encouraged to leave a final rebuttal. To the anons, tablets from Huion and Wacom employ a 30 day refund slot which you should take advantage of to use as a trial! Good Luck!

>> No.747358

>>747354
i dont even know what it is

>> No.747387

>>747358
Not him but it's clearly a F1 car.

>> No.747391

>>747355
>All you're really typing is sophism
I think I've heard these exact words from people defending their mac purchases. I misread your post where you said you used a mouse every day to use the move tool in zbrush, and I apologise for that. But that doesn't change my point of view.

>A mouse only in zBrush is less efficient use of time
You've still not proven that. You've described how you personally use a tablet more, because touch sensitivity saves you time on the few occasions when not having it slows you down with a mouse. Your comments about laziness are in light of you using your mouse when your hand is tired, compared to people who use their mice most of the time and their tablets when it can't be avoided. Is the guy with a pile of tablets who chooses to use his mouse quicker, or are you quicker? It's assuming things of other people and yourself. You and the first guy throw around the objective word, but it seems very one sided. If you had never used them, how much slower do you think you'd be?T he answer's probably closer to not at all, because the mouse is quicker at some things, too. It's quicker to move from point to point with a mouse than it is with a pen, for instance.

>unless you are working through a very specific workflow (base mesh characters), or inorganics, ie environment art
You can work on organics just fine with a mouse. If you objectively showed it was better, I would buy a new one right now. It helps sometimes is not really enough to warrant upwards of a hundred dollars. Will you buy a gaming mouse if I tell you you need the ten additional buttons or you're objectively inferior? I don't think you'd be convinced.

>> No.747393

>>747326
>Said the avatarfag who sculpts without a tablet every day, in a discussion where only one person regularly uses his.
how are you so dumb that you still can't figure out what his post said? he's not saying he doesn't use a tablet, he's saying he switches to a mouse sometimes when using the move tool (which i do as well). are you now going to pretend you're the only person in the thread who owns a tablet and everyone else is just lying about liking theirs?

the thing that makes you a contrarian snowflake isn't using a mouse - it's your life to waste - it's the fact that you can't help but defend your dumb preferences by farting out this giant cloud of misinformation, lies, misreadings and weasely horseshit about how "it all depends, technically, from a certain point of view" in the middle of a thread where newbies are looking for advice. thank god i didn't encounter you when i was getting into sculpting because if i bought your horseshit about a mouse being "perfectly sufficient" you would have robbed me of hours and hours of my life.

>> No.747395

>>743647
Imagine asking questions on /3/ where no one gives you a direct answer. It's always beating around the bush and making it as vague as possible. The fuckers here like to play with riddles and want you to jump through hoops and ask multiple questions before you get the answer you want.

>> No.747397

>>747395
What does everyone wait for, but when it comes, you still have to wait?

>> No.747401

>>747397
A woman.

>> No.747402

>>747397
The answer to a question. You wait for the answer to your question and an answer comes but it's not the correct one so you still have to wait. The people on /3/ don't actually know anything about 3D which is why they never give you an actual answer. (cause they don't know but they have dunning kruger that convinced them they know)

>> No.747406

>>747402
Give me a question, nerd.

>> No.747409

>>747391
>If you had never used them, how much slower do you think you'd be?
not him, but when i got a tablet my speed sculpts went from 3-4h to 2h to get the same amount of detail, plus they immediately started looking better. features that would have taken 10 minutes of clicking with a mouse were now doable with a few arm movements. it's fucking bonkers to me that you're even arguing this, have you considered that you simply never learned how to use your tablet properly seeing as you admit to avoiding it whenever possible?

>> No.747418

>>747406
why does something exist instead of nothing?

>> No.747430

>>747418
That falls outside /3/ and nobody anywhere can answer that for you without lying trough their teeth or appeal to magic. I tell you this tho, if you sit down and start to think this trough you'll find the idea of there being absolutely nothing is even stranger than the reality we're in.

>> No.747441
File: 447 KB, 1295x1942, 34045744_10155253001332471_38340430022049792_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I use the keygen for 3dsmax 2021? It no longer uses offline activation so I can't get a request code, and I don't see any instructions...

>> No.747443

>>747441
If it's a release by any proper cracker group a .nfo file should be included where the information you need will be stated.

>> No.747455

>>747443
No nfo file. It's keyforce 2021 :c

>> No.747457

>>747351
Get something like NDO and make an ao map and start from there.

>>747335
Is this a blender thing. But ya I could avoid seams as much as possible especially in noticeable places.

>> No.747459

I'm looking to make porn animations with Blender, but I'm not a natural artist kind of person. Would I be wasting my time learning how to animate with Blender if I'm not an artist already?

>> No.747467

>>747459
Are you real?

>> No.747469

How can I get a student license for 3dsm without actually being a student? I've heard you can get it but it always tells me it needs extra verification after i type in any credentials

>> No.747472

>>747467
My tastes in porn are very refined over many years, so much so that it can't be realised in reality. So to make porn I have to create it, and I thought that 3D animation would be the best way to achieve that. But I don't draw or paint etc. I'm more of a technical person rather than an artistic one. I'm asking if 3D animation is worth learning if you aren't naturally an artist from the start.

>> No.747479

>>747472
your whole line of thinking is so retarded that i'd say no, it's not worth it for you to try to learn anything at all. you're just going to give up and blame it on "not being an artist naturally" so why even start?

like, you're already deep into constructing an elaborate excuse for failing at a thing you haven't even attempted to start doing yet. something went wrong with you a while ago and it wasn't "not being born an artist" or whatever you tell yourself.

>> No.747481

>>747479
boners are good motivators though

>> No.747485

>>747472
If you're technically minded and willing to invest a lot of time in to learning animation I'd say it's def possible without having any visual artskills.
To succeed as an animator you need to be a somewhat decent actor tho. The fact you just wanna make porn means you're prob gonna fail tho.

Reason is you lack any real interest for the subject and will be distracted by your chosen subjectmatter.
Animation in general is a difficult subject to master and it's ultra rare to see any animated erotic material that isn't super basic back and forth
while looking like it's made by an autist (real type, not internet variant) that never touched a woman.

>> No.747488

>>747485
>>747479

Kinda wanna train this guy just to spite this cakeinferno guy who made the thread about gatekeeping so he can keep his patreon pervs to himself

>> No.747489

>>747485
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely interested in learning how to do it despite what the other guy said. It's just that I really will just be doing it for porn. What the other other guy said about boners ring true.

>> No.747491

>>746777
are there many 3D software companies that look out for comm/cracks that talk back to the company?

>> No.747494
File: 162 KB, 438x460, ow.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are there good guides out there on making photos for textures? I want to take some and maybe sell them too, but I assume it involves getting a high-end camera and lighting equipment?

>> No.747497

>>747491
They prob track it to have an idea about how many illicit users are out there. Because that is their potential growthbase.
You have to remember a lot of autodesks customers are pirates who learnt their software on a cracked copies before becoming customers.
There is a unspoken 'live and let live' kinda deal going on here.

As long as you're not making money on pirated copies you're in a gray area where none will come after you as that would only harm them.
Frankly without software piracy Blender would rapidly become a big threat.

>> No.747498

>>747491
where the fuck are you people finding cracked copies of anything that aren't loaded with malware?

damn i just want to learn the program that companies actually use instead of investing my time in blender. It's already taking 110% of my motivation concentration and effort to try to learn blender and while I have the motivation, I would like to direct it towards learning the actual program that would be useful if I managed to get gud at it.

I have a free trial that's gonna expire in 28 days and it feels really pointless to invest time into learning it if I'm just gonna lose the program after a month, with no student license or clean crack in sight.

>> No.747503

>>747498
>clean crack in sight.

Any crack or keygen are by definition a virus. They are designed to defeat security features in your machine.
To find a trusted release you google-duck-duck around for a scene release indexing site and take it from there till you
find a download link for a torrent that matches the listed content.

The keygen/crack will always be flagged as a virus if your AV is any good.

If you don't understand how software piracy releases work you can read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_scene

>> No.747509

>>747503
>google-duck-duck around for a scene release indexing site

And this is the part I have trouble with. I don't know where to go other than basically doing an internet coin flip and downloading from a random website and just crossing my fingers and hoping it's not gonna fuck my pc up

Rutracker? I have no idea where and googling it seems to be harder than expected

>> No.747511

>>747457
>Get something like NDO and make an ao map and start from there.
Many thanks.

>> No.747520

For my thesis I am writing about 3d-printing and modelling in the construction world. I am doing some research into which formats modelling software should support. Keeping in mind that multiple parties can interchange models while maintaining a reasonably steady workflow.
Materials and other information transfer is not necessary. Most important is the shape and accuracy from the delivering party.

As for now I have found the following universal formats:
Mesh: STL, OBJ, DAE.
NURBS: OBJ, IGES, STEP.
With: X3D as a doubtable format.
Anything I am missing?
Something I should take in consideration?

>> No.747526

>>747520
.BLEND

>> No.747556

>>747526
No.

>> No.747578

>>747520
i dont know the technical details of it but i know from experience that a lot of the nurbs suites do not like to talk to each other. we get surface from a studio that does catia that looks fine on their end and when we import it the surfaces have hundreds of spans and the whole thing gets really ugly under the hood, but the catia guys swear its clean, so we're pretty sure something gets fucked on the import. might be something to do with the way catia handles live history that some of the other software doesnt. not sure

>> No.747588

>>747578
Yeah I have been working with Rhino, autocad and Revit. Some times the work together other times they don't. Part of my research is to look for a program that can be used from start to finish with a concrete shape. Which may be 3d-printed.

>> No.747593

>>747520
>universal formats
>DAE
a lot of exporters for DAE are touted as being broken/incomplete by the very group that maintains DAE (Khronos); so much so that they've effectively dropped DAE and are focusing their efforts on developing glTF.
i'd replace DAE with PLY. it's not xml based like DAE but is an ASCII format like STL and OBJ.

>NURBS: OBJ
while OBJ is better supported across software than DAE, there are some slight differences. the most negligible is that some software will store extra information as comments that can be safely ignored (e.g. zbrush exporting vertex colors as comments). the worst, however, is that some software only support writing mesh data to OBJ (e.g. blender converts NURBS and metaballs to meshes before export)
if you want a more definitive list of universal formats, i'd recommend keeping OBJ out of the NURBS category

>> No.747597

>>747593
>zbrush exporting vertex colors
meant to say polypaint

>> No.747626
File: 300 KB, 512x512, ryuko.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I read these posts on /3/ and starting to think you guys don't know what you're talking about.

>> No.747628

>>747626
This is just where the newbies hang out and the dunning krugers who try to help them.

>> No.747683

1. Will my dad ever come back?

2. For those of you working as a 3D artist, what are you doing, is it worth it, what would you want to be told before going into whatever industry you are in.

>> No.747685

How to make Substance Painter bake AO from a normal map?

>> No.747687

>>747685
Nvm, had to rebake world space normal.

>> No.747688

>>747685
A normal map doesn't contain enough information to make AO type calculations upon, it's a depth based effect.
That said the blue channel of a proper normalmap (baked from actual geometry and not just generated from a texture)
will approximate the look of AO if you copy it and use it to darken parts of your model.

Reason is the blue channel encodes how much the surface is pointing towards the normal of the surface. I often use this trick to enhance AO maps, you may benefit from adjusting levels to make it pop.

>> No.747690

>>747688
Thanks for the tip.

>> No.747712
File: 995 KB, 1854x859, Screenshot_948.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>747685
1.You create a new AO channel
2.Create an empty fill layer and set all the blending modes to passthrough
3. Apply a MatFX HBAO filter to this empty fill layer and select either normal or height as the source
4. Export the AO with a "mixed AO" preset

>> No.747716

how much of a problem are UV seams in 3D? especially where they matter (cinematic/film I suppose?). wouldn't it be possible and beneficial to have only a small amount of seams (lets say 3 for a character model: head, torso, legs) and prepare the texture to counter the stretching? the idea is to export the the big UV islands that has a lot of stretching, put them in your 2D editor of choice, select the stretching mask/deformation and inverse it, import your texture, upscale and apply the deformation (which is the inversed stretching mask). so in short, you basically deform the texture map to account for stretching and non flattening the UV. yes I know you will need to have bigger textures or upscale them to counter the loss of pixel density, but that's not a problem in 2020.

the other extreme would be to have a technology that is so good at covering up seams, you can just make every line of your faces a seam.

>> No.747717

>>747716
For a cinematic workflow you use udims and since you rely mostly on disp maps rather than normal maps, they are rarely visible. You cut the pieces as many times as you want in order to avoid stretching and you shouldn't get any visible seams. For example on the character I'm working now I have 6 udims only for the head and virtually no stretching

>> No.747722

>>747717
Oh I see, even unreal engine supports udims in form of virtual textures (although probably a performance hit for real time stuff). Looks like they are a great solution to negate seams and stretching, as you say. Therefor also great for close-up shots, which I was looking for. Thanks for the tip!

>> No.747730
File: 23 KB, 300x404, weat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whats the best way to create photoscans (and meshes) from plants? I want to recreate some local weeds.
I have both a phone, a camera and my coputer available.

>> No.747780
File: 118 KB, 810x428, aaaa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why am I getting dark lines at the edges when baking an ao map in substance? It wasn't happening until recently, but I have now idea what's changed.

>> No.747783

>>747780
You're probably really ugly so it makes ur bakes ugly. :( That or your UVs are different.

>> No.747785

>>747780
Nevermind again, I had a world space normal map. jesus, i hate this program...

>> No.747893

is there a good way to make textures with a smartphone? on android, more specifically?

>> No.747897

are the buttcheeks to separated? taking any other criticism in general. this is following grant abbitt's last tutorial

>> No.747898
File: 18 KB, 442x435, Screenshot_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>747897
of course I forgot the file lmao

>> No.747910

I'm a massive fucking weeb, how the FUCK do I sculpt anime heads? Bodies are fine, I cannot for the life of me get the heads right

>> No.747971

>>747354
in doughnut maker i would freehand the fins as flats + subdiv + solidify modifier , each individually and then union them together with bools

>> No.748009

>>747893
bumping this q.
Also interested. Though less about the whole mobile aspect (personally I'd use a proper camera). Just making textures in general.
How do you make a proper PBR texture from a photo like Megascans? It doesn't seem like they plug the diffuse into something to fake the detail. How is it done? Laser scanning?

>> No.748033

>>748009
>How do you make a proper PBR texture from a photo
You bake the normals and height map in something like Knald and then use the baked maps to make the roughness map in Photoshop

>> No.748039

>>748033
>like Megascans
you dropped this.

>> No.748043

>>748039
It's the same thing dude. Extracting pbr textures from a photogrammetry model is exactly the same as extracting pbr textures from a photo

>> No.748047

Currently my computer only consists of a Ryzen3400g AMD with Vega11 integrated graphics. How many polygons should I aim to have as maximum when using Zbrush? A friend of mine who also sculpts said I should aim to keep it under 2M. I've not yet found problems so far because I've only been sculpting heads and bones, but just to be wary, I want to know what's the cap I should aim to keep when working in larger sculptures

>> No.748054

>>748047
Why don't you just take a sphere and subdivide it until zbrush gives you the warning that you exceeded the maximum geometry supported? Also it's ram that determines the amount, not the cpu and if you have at least 8 gigs you should be fine up to 16 mil polygons

>> No.748060

>>748054
16 million polygons with 8 gygas? Sounds pretty nice, but then why do people with actual gpus even bother about the poly count?
Either case Imma do your proposed experiment, sounds like the most scientific way to truly test how much is too much for my potato of a computer. Thank you!

>> No.748061
File: 63 KB, 192x238, groo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>747683
>1. Will my dad ever come back?
maybe you should go find him instead?

>> No.748065

>>748054
Btw the maximum amount of polygons I can handle is apparently between 6 and 10 million, oy vey

>> No.748077

>>748043
I guess you're right. I always figured the Quixel dude's had some special machine or something.

>> No.748081

>>747898
looks good to me, but I'm just a virgin coomer.

>> No.748085

posting this beginner friendly tutorial for newcomers who want to get an overview of asset creation for video games. honestly, this is probably the best tutorial I've ever watched, and it's free. despite being nearly 2h long, it's extremely packed with good information and tips. also every step is shown, which is excellent for beginners. I wish more tutorials were like this. Also there's a short version on his channel if it's too long for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy6b4cicSik

>> No.748097 [DELETED] 

Me >>747354 again, I need some help figuring out the topology for this thing.

The first before and after model on the top left is a cube with a chunk in the middle taken out with the inner corners moved away from each other.

The second one is just a plane with ripped midway.

Both of them produces problems on the area where they separate, the plane is even worse when solidified.

The ledge looks wrong and should be connecting to each other like the green lines on the bottom models.

Here is the file: https://www66.zippyshare.com/v/fgId7Y7V/file.html

It’s an extremely rough mock up with the separation exaggerated because I’m trying to figure out how to execute it.

>> No.748098
File: 107 KB, 1241x1302, 95C4531B-47B5-4590-BA06-99ED52495171.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Me >>747354 again, I need some help figuring out the topology for this thing.

The first before and after model on the top left is a cube with a chunk in the middle taken out with the inner corners moved away from each other.

The second one is just a plane with ripped midway.

Both of them produces problems on the area where they separate, the plane is even worse when solidified.

The ledge looks wrong and should be connecting to each other like the green lines on the bottom models.

Here is the file: https://www66.zippyshare.com/v/fgId7Y7V/file.html

It’s an extremely rough mock up with the separation exaggerated because I’m trying to figure out how to execute it.

>> No.748099
File: 152 KB, 1427x673, FFFF63A9-E7B3-4BC0-8BF9-CED70024400F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>748098
Here’s what I’m trying to achieve. You can see that there is a ledge which I sort of got with the first model from the first screenshot however there’s a gap between them and again, the problem with the inner corners where they separate.

I would really appreciate your help on this, if you can do a quick mockup just like the first screenshot or point me to relevant tutorials I will be grateful.

>> No.748100
File: 344 KB, 1651x989, B571A662-9667-4DF0-B35C-9287370533AA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>748099
Same concept with the ledges more apparent. (Ignore the arrows on the left, they’re not mine.)

Trying to figure out the proper topology for this makes me want to pull my hair out. Please help.

>> No.748109

>>748100
I wouldn't limit myself thinking about topology. Rough out the fins starting with a thick rectangle in a sculpting app. Merge them and Boolean or dynamesh. Use auto retopology with a high polycount.

>> No.748115

>>748109
Thanks for your reply! I’m not really a sculpting guy, and I honestly believe there’s an easier way to do this simple split with sub-d modelling, it’s really just the inner corner where there’s a problem and I’m having trouble solving it.

>> No.748116

>>748099
GIMI :DDDDDDDDDDD

>> No.748152

>>748081
your opinion matters just as much to me. thanks a lot!

>> No.748161

is it better to model the characters of a scene on T pose and only then position them or just shape them up in position from the get go? if I have a scene ref, more specifically, in which they're already in position

>> No.748163

>>748161
Whatever works best for sculpting to rigging, in my opinion. If the model is in a position of less than adequate and hides needed detail, it i better to start off in a pose that allows visiblity and thus more detail to be put onto the character.

Yes? T pose is technically the best. A post is second best.

>> No.748168

>>748163
I see, thank you my good sir

>> No.748194
File: 217 KB, 1280x720, poke-mon-mystery-dungeon-rescue-team-dx-screenshot-es-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

if anyone would be willing
I wanna break down the arstyle in this game
how to achieve this look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14vfjRi08pM&feature=youtu.be&t=6948

>> No.748226

>>748194
First tell me how you think it's broken down.
No point in spoonfeeding someone if they don't understand basic concepts.

>> No.748230

Any good tutorials to learn rigging? The ones i've watched seem to skip steps or aren't good at explaining their steps

>> No.748243

>>748230
mixamo go brrrr
otherwise royal sky lcc if you're a blendlet

>> No.748270

>>748243
I use maya, but i'm assuming the principles transfer from the blender guy?

>> No.748342
File: 766 KB, 501x765, 1576779114431.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I into shaders for game development in Unity, /3/? From where do I start?

>> No.748454

I'm gonna improve my current computer and turn it into a budget GPU. Can I render with this?
>AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X
>Gigabyte RadeonRX 570 Gaming 8G
>Corsair Vengeance 16 gb (that will add to the 8gb I already have)

>> No.748536

>>748194
Toon shader + consistent look across textures. Mostly mid tones and highlights.

>> No.748712
File: 873 KB, 1920x1080, old-library-lincoln-cathedral.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743647
Anyone hint me at some free hdri resources?

Looking for something with the feel of pic related - no luck so far

>> No.748730

>>748712
https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/

>> No.748749
File: 1.85 MB, 1516x1076, 1567110435256.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>748730
>https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/
noice

thank you very much

>> No.748761

>>748342
Shaders is a bit of an endless topic really, so it would be best to start with a goal of something you would like to make.
Vert-Frag are the simplest and typically I use these for UI based stuff. Surface are a bit more complex, but at the end of the day they are kind of the same thing.

What level would you put yourself at now? and what's your goal for this?

If you would like an example project:
I would like to define a heat map (texture) and a slider. As the slider progresses, more and more of the surface becomes alpha, resulting is disappearing completely when the slider reaches one.

>> No.748807

is there any way to import a psd into substance painter without it's alpha channel being taken into account
i want to use layers but its a pain in the ass to have to merge everything and then copy it into the alpha channel before i can use it in substance painter; for more context, it's a black and white mask

>> No.749315

Are there any dedicated resources/guides on various common motions and their timings so I don't have to reference the typical frame count of every last thing myself?

>> No.749323

>>748342
Start out by playing around and modify the existing ones, attempt to write your own variants of some basic effects to get a feel for how they work
and then transition into adding your own stuff.

You can find the sourcecode to any unity shader published officially here https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive
you click the link for your version of unity and chose "built in shaders" from the drop down menu that opens.

>> No.749329

When asking for a front, side and back reference picture, which size is best?

>> No.749358

>>743647
why are there no business threads on /3/??
surely you want money!
surely you want to scale!
surely you want multiple sources of income!

how do?

>> No.749384

>>743648
You would need infinite/very high resolution to have truly vertical cliffs from height maps. You can have very steep slopes, but the can't be smaller than the faces of the mesh you're displacing.
Think about the most basic case, if you have a square, how could you make it vertical by only moving the corners up or down and not horizontally? You can't.

>> No.749388

>>743648
>>749384
You could do it procedurally / programmatically using the height map as the basis for mathematical approximation for vectors / curves / whatever

But I assume what the guy is trying to get at, but doesn't know the term for, is topographic point cloud data

>> No.749414

Hows 3d compare to vector 2d animation for ease of use in the creation of short skits? I'm thinking like 3 or 4 characters and a basic background scene like beavis and buttheads couch.

I've been thinking about this for years now, a year ago I even bought a tablet and was learning how to do it in 2d but it was too tedious and I lost interest. Recently learning how to make games in unreal I started thinking using 3d might be easier but I'm confused why this isn't more popular? There is a whole community of people making 2d animations on youtube and very little in 3d. Is it because poorly done 3d is distracting or ugly? Is it more work than I'm realizing?

>> No.749458

>>749414
>because poorly done 3d is distracting or ugly?
yes
>Is it more work than I'm realizing?
yes.
MUCH MUCH MORE.
I don't know why noobs think they can just start with the crown discipline of 3D which is character creation/rigging/animation and make a game or an animated short.
>...and was learning how to do it in 2d but it was too tedious and I lost interest.
Drawing an image and then another one and another one is 500x easier (i am talking only about the technical side of it.)
You have to learn the artistic side of it no matter what.
If you have an ounce of drawing talent, archiving something like Rick and Morty or Simpsons is easily done.
Doing it in 3D is a complete different thing.

>> No.749461

>>745864
Then don't use max? I personally use Cycles/Eevee for my rendering and do all my modelling in max and animating/posing in Maya. I can understand if you don't want to have a lot of programs, but it shouldn't take up that much space for Blender in comparison to Max anyways.

>> No.749462

For those that use zbrush, do you guys have any good IMMs for hair (like Dylan Ekren's hair IMM) that are UV'd? If not, how do you guys approach UVing and (consequently) texturing hair in something like substance?

>> No.749557

Just downloaded Blender, how do I set the context menu to Spacebar? It allows me to set the key in preferences but it still uses one of the three options you select on installation. I would rather not reach for the brush size bar on top every single time

>> No.749567
File: 23 KB, 576x823, Screenshot_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what's the best way to quad/tri these up?

>> No.749569 [DELETED] 

>>749567
this is the solution i went with but it doesnt look as low poly as i wish it did. also i can't knife faces without distorting them in or outwards, i wonder if there's a way to do this?

>> No.749570
File: 23 KB, 417x753, Screenshot_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>749567
this is the solution i went with but it doesnt look as low poly as i wish it did. also i can't knife faces without distorting them in or outwards, i wonder if there's a way to do this?

>> No.749577

>>749570
not sure if i were clear about the knife part, what i mean is that i want to cut squares in half into triangles without having the middle stroke/edge deform the squared shape

>> No.749579

>>749570
Well if you really wanted it low poly the handle would be seperate and just penetrating the object.

>> No.749580

>>749579
is that alright for game dev? for unity, more specifically?

>> No.749585

>>749580
Ya but of course things like AO and normal maps might bake wrong.

>> No.749589

>Animating a character in Blender
>Character spins once during this animation
>Try to include the character going back to the default standing position on the last keyframe
>Between the second-to-last keyframe (post-spin) and the default standing position keyframe, character spins all the way back around to undo its spin

Is there a proper, clean way of handling this, or do I need rotate the final keyframe 360 degrees so that the character doesn't spin back around?

>> No.749597

>>749589
Not a blender user but these sounds like behavior caused by using Euler rotations, these allow you wind up an object rotating many revolutions between keyframes but if you copy keys you'll end up unwinding everything.

If you want animations with more predictable rotations where you're always going the shortest distance you need to use quaternion(TCB) rotation controllers instead. The problem with these is you need to keyframe them for every revolution since they cant keep track of going past 180 degrees.

>> No.749601
File: 34 KB, 1597x1178, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any suggestions for software that supports accurate CAD modeling? I tried freeCAD and it's pretty neat, but feel like there might be something better out there. I'm not a big fan of constraints and needing to have seamless geometry, so I was wondering if Maya (I hate 3dsmax) could also get the job done. Blender seems to be very lacking in the CAD department and you need a gazillion addons and configs to even get started according to YT tutorials. Maybe another CAD software like SelfCad is what I'm looking for? The goal is to create accurate object base from sketches like pic related and then add details/features with bashkits and boolean operations. I don't mind exporting the object from a CAD software to Blender/Maya to add details. Speedy and easy difficulty are priority.

>> No.749604

>>749601
Rhino? it also has 3 months free trial

>> No.749607

>>749604
oh yeah good idea, completely forgot that it exists. thanks

>> No.749615

>>749585
got it, thanks!

>> No.749619
File: 3 KB, 173x41, Screenshot (1285).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm probably the dumbest fuck, but I can't for the life of me figure out what this symbol is supposed to mean?

>> No.749622

I'm looking to get a laptop for blender but I have no idea what's the best option. My budget is like 1,500 willing to go a bit more if it make a difference what's a good laptop for that price?

>> No.749625

>>749619
Press left mouse button and drag.

>> No.749626

>>749625
I tried that, but it would just sculpt as well

>> No.749635

>>749570
>>749577
i'm still taking advice for this if anyone have any

>> No.749636

>>749622
>laptop
Don't. Get a proper computer. Custom made if you can.

https://www.logicalincrements.com/

>> No.749645

So I have a stitched object. The object itself and the stitches are two separate high poly meshes that I want to attach together and bake as a normal map for the lower poly version of the object. Now this part is easy, but is there a way to avoid handpainting the stitches on the final albedo/diffuse map ?

>> No.749655

Isn't CGPeers supposed to be open for registrations today? Or did i miss something?

>> No.749656

>>749655
They don't allow registration anymore, period. Something about some seething retards filling the uploads with viruses.

>> No.749657

>>749656
well what the fuck then where do i get freebies from?

>> No.749662

>>749657
Legends tells us of a bay where the black flag always flies... something about 'rating pies' or such or maybe it was 'ate at the pier'?
Aahr, I dunno matey, perhaps you need to rent it or sumtin?

Imma show myself out of this thread right now.
>*step* *clog* ...*step* ..*clog* ...*step* ...*clog*

>> No.749663

>>749662
kinda cringe ngl

>> No.749672
File: 86 KB, 1110x915, mug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>749635
This is what I came up with.

>> No.749674

>>749672
This is good, but why are you so obsessed about 3 extra quads?

>> No.749714

>>749645
Give the stitiches a color and bake an albedo or vertex color map. It never works for me though because the baked map tends to be jaggy. That's why I always do stitches in Substance.

>> No.749726

>>749672
that looks better, thanks. I'll try to get mine looking a bit more like yours. I don't know if there is a shortcut to get the edges of the cylinder to align so evenly like yours, the way I'd go about it myself as the very n00b that I am would be creating another cylinder with a subsurface modifier and then very thoroughly align them up by hand. which sounds a lot of work and probably not the best way to do it, but then again I guess anyone any bit more experienced than me would never get their mesh so messy to the point of having to fix it like this, so there's that

>> No.749728
File: 52 KB, 700x684, e9835e8b316e4d837c69f8e7555188ac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>749674
that wasn't me (>>749567), but I've been trying to get my meshes as simple and edge-free as possible ever since I started noticing how clean pro meshes look. so even though that's not many extra quads indeed, I can't help but think that my favorite artists wouldn't need them for such a simple model. yes I'm an imbecile

>> No.749729

>>749726
>the way I'd go about it myself as the very n00b that I am would be creating another cylinder with a subsurface modifier and then very thoroughly align them up by hand
as in, I'd use the flow of the vertices of the extra cylinder as a reference, not include it on my mesh per se

>> No.749732

>>749726
You can always scale vertexes to zero along the X, Y or Z axis to align them back up. Just select whichever ones are misaligned and scale them.

>> No.749749

>>749732
that's so useful, I had no idea! thank you very much my good sir

>> No.749773
File: 168 KB, 636x518, Annotation 2020-06-15 225028.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743647
Is there a way to get an outline effect which doesn't involve doubling the amount of faces in my mesh?

>> No.749777

>>749663
Do ye fear deatt anon-ah?

>> No.749779
File: 795 KB, 1804x1555, Fake Outlines.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>749773
Look into freestyle if you want to have headaches, or do a hacky solution like pic related.
It ain't perfect, but it'll work in a pinch.

>> No.749798

>>749779
What you posted looks dreadful.

>freestyle
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. Why is this not norm, what problems does it have?

>> No.749817

i already posted this as a thread, but in case i crossed some dumb rule and it gets deleted:

how the fuck do i export a particle system from one unity project to another? i've already fucked up by accidentally transfering the whole scene and deleting 2 hours of work, i'm extremely new to this. Google says i need to do something with prefabs or whatever, but i have no idea what the fuck that means or where to even find it. I have 3 particle systems in 3 different unity projects that i'd like to transfer into one, but now i'm scared to do anything in fear of accidentally deleting even more work.

>> No.749873
File: 532 KB, 1086x435, linkeyes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im trying to rig a game character's eyes, after modeling them using some ripped game character models as reference. I noticed in a lot of cases, especially with big cartoon eyes, they dont use spheres, it's just the faces visible.

I assume that they move the eye texture around these static faces via bones (one of the references was BOTW Link, who I know has IK eye tracking), but I dont know how to go about it.

>> No.749886

>>749798
>What you posted looks dreadful.
Well excUuUuse me for giving you exactly what you asked for.
>Is there a way to get an outline effect which doesn't involve doubling the amount of faces in my mesh?

>Why is this not norm, what problems does it have?
iirc it only works in cycles, only on the CPU, is janky as fuck to get the look you want, and it's applied AFTER you render, so you've got no clue what's gonna pop out until you render it. So it's a matter of fucking around with the settings, render, fuck around with more settings, render, lather, rinse and repeat until you're completely drained and you give up. Half the time the changes to the settings have no noticeable effect either.

>> No.749889

How do I arrange a group of unwrapped objects in Max on a single UV tile? I could just attach them together and form a single object, but this will collapse the stack for everything I add, and I'd rather have access to it. Is there a way around it?

>> No.749905

>>749886
I'm not criticising you or anything, I'm saying the method itself gives a result I don't like.

And the only correction I'll make there is that it works with Eevee as well, but after looking into it it does seem to have a lot of shortcomings. I'm half tempted to download Maya and just use arnolds toon shader, cause that looks way better.

Regardless, am I being crazy for not wanting to duplicate my mesh over itself? Like it just seems like a really silly way of getting outlines. I get the rendering of the outlines could in theory be much faster, but in practice, I don't really trust generic renderers with shit like that.

>> No.749907

>>749873
Not a blender user but I'd set it up like this:

1. Let's say Z is forward, Y is up and X is right.

2. I'd have two invisible bones located at the eyes that I animate to look at things like one would regular geometry eyes.

3. I let the forward axis of the head itself be neutral and then I'd take the dot-product of eye-up and head-forward vector to decide
how much the eye is looking up and down (eyePitch) and the dot-product of the eye-right and head-forward vector to decide how much the eye is looking left and right (eyeYaw).

4. I'd plug these value into the texture sampler of my shader as a UV offset for the texture to steer the texture on the surface in the direction of the bone.
So in a regular HLSL shader it'd be something like diffuseMap.sample(diffuseSampler,float2( In.uv.u*eyePitch, In.uv.v*eyeYaw ))

5. Just tinker around with a multiplier for these two values til I find the 'magic number' that causes them to have the correct amount of movement.

>> No.749967

>>748342
https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/ is fantastic.

>> No.749969

>>749905
No worries, I was just busting your balls.

>I'll make there is that it works with Eevee as well
It's been a while since I fucked around with it, but that's good to know. As far as I know though, it still doesn't work in the viewport so it makes it pretty much useless in terms of actually fine tuning the lines.

>am I being crazy for not wanting to duplicate my mesh over itself?
I don't really think so. You can't really "art direct" an inverted hull all that well. What you see is what you get. If you want any kind of stylization you're shit outta luck doing that.

>I'm half tempted to download Maya and just use arnolds toon shader
Whatever works works. It's all about that end result.

>> No.750235

Anyone have that pic that was posted here about 2 years ago that some Japanese guy made of a pair of sculpted/MD panties?

>> No.750271

>>750235
If it helps I'm positive it was mode in Zbrush. It was a pair of wrinkled panties, textured in gray, floating in the void

>> No.750305

Question guys!
I have a face with morpher layers, smile, surprised, and so on. He has a moustache and a beard but in a separated group.

How can I attach the beard so it moves when I turn on the morpher layers? Which is the correct solution? (3dsmax)

>> No.750307

>>750305
Personally I would go for a bonerig for the face and just skinwrap that beard. But if you use morphers and need the beard to be separate I'd try to create a rig for the beard using 'attachement contrainsts' on the beard-bones to force the skinned beard to move with the surface beneath.

>> No.750308

>>750307
For other models I would just attach the beard to the main mesh, but this one needs to be customised so I need the beard to be a separated object.

>attachement contrainsts
I'll look for this on 3dsmax then, thanks

>> No.750365
File: 568 KB, 1387x916, lowpolytexturenodes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743647
Does anyone have suggestions for a better way to display low poly models with opacity maps with just diffuse in Blender? This is what I came up with, using eevee. Should probably set the principled values to 0 as well. Solid mode set to textured does not appear to be able to display transparency.

Model is from Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis.

>> No.750371

>>750365
what do you want to archive? Do you want some shading to take place or just the model + color without light-information?
Mix shader with transparency in one slot and diffuse or emission in the other using the opacity map for the mix factor should do the trick.

>> No.750374

>>750371
Exactly, I just want to display the model in the cleanest possible way without a light source.What's the advantage of using your node set up? Seem easier to just plug it in the principled shader to me as I did as everything's there by default. Maybe I'm missing something.

>> No.750379

>>750374
Diffuse shader is just diffuse, so you're not getting all the roughness/specularity, and all that other jazz. It's just straight diffuse.

If you want it completely shadeless though, swap out the diffuse shader for emission.

>> No.750381

>>750379
Yes but the node set up I have in the pic above already works. I'm just trying to see if there's a even simpler way. I appreciate that you're trying to help but I'm not seeing how your way is faster/easier but maybe it has some other advantage.

>> No.750386

>>750381
Your node setup and those using an emission shader will emit light. You can plug a texture node's color output directly into the material output if you want a shadeless material with no light. Use a mix node in between if you do want transparency.

>> No.750407

do you really need to know all the art fundamentals like construction for example to model and texture paint low poly models?
i just want to make simple half life 1 or warcraft 3-esque textures but feel like i must first complete a book or three on fundies before i even dare to begin making my own stuff. i know how to model, seam, uv unwrap, texture painting interface, rig, even a little animation. it's just the art aspect that's. intimidating.
i checked some of the texture assets for both games and it seems like beyond basic understanding of textures/details, shadows, and colour theory there's not much else to it but practice. what do you think?

>> No.750418

>>750407
I don't think so, at the very least you can't pick up the very basic painting knowledge you need by doing low poly assets.

I'd say look up grant abbit videos to see a step by step process of some decent looking blizzardian hand painted assets.

And make sure you have a tablet.

>> No.750419

>>750418
>you can't

meant to say you can

>> No.750467
File: 77 KB, 1080x1080, D1Bgd3aU4AArrZa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone knows what program this artist uses to model/animate his stuff?

https://twitter.com/metromew/status/1266308334992322563

>> No.750555

>>750467
No but you can definitely do it in Blender

>> No.750560

is there any way to apply an alpha texture around the edges of an object in blender?
I want the object to sort of have a worn cloth look to it where it's sort of ragged at the edges.

I've thought of using a gradient node and attaching it to the alpha with a texture mask, are there any other ways?

>> No.750563

>>750467
Seems like it could be done in just about any program that lets you install a cel shader.

>> No.750576

Why is Arrimus 3D so mysterious? I still have no clue who that guy is or what projects has he worked on after all these years.

>> No.750583

what alternatives are there to substance painter?
I heard there was program that was leagues better for hand drawn textures but I've completely forgotten its name.

>> No.750588

>>750583
Was coming with about the same question. Substance Painter is pretty clunky and geared more towards using procedural materials and masks.

But Blender is missing very basic image editing options like layers and spraypaint

>> No.750590

>>750588
>>750583
mari

>> No.750604

>>750467
why does that even matter?
It's not going to suddenly make you a better artist.

>> No.750621

>>750576
it's exactly what makes his channel good. No me me me bs, just condensed info

>> No.750637

How to enable alpha in occlusion map bake in substance? I need a transparent background.

>> No.750638
File: 607 KB, 1036x581, 5q5q.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743647
so i have a problem with my normal maps, for some reason the ones im generating in photoshop have the direction of light reversed, using normals that come with unity apply light in the correct direction.

>> No.750639

>>750638
why would you create normal maps in PS, when it's an outdated concept?

>> No.750640

>>750639
is there another software that uses painted details for normals instead of geometry details?

>> No.750642

>>750640
substance?

>> No.750645

>>750638
what if you select "invert height" when generating in PS?

>> No.750647

>>750645
it just changes what is low and high, the direction of light is still wrong. i just installed a trail version of substance which ill try in a moment

>> No.750710

>>750642
why is this my output material ? what am i doing wrong ):

>> No.750713
File: 455 KB, 1293x872, substance output.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>750642
>>750710
forgot image

>> No.750719

>>750713
your details are probably on the height map
bake normal map

>> No.750930

>>749585
Just explode the model when you bake it. Anyone can fake AO and normal maps only matter where you can see it.

>> No.750974
File: 879 KB, 1000x586, ff97cd1c067b6c70765fb18d248acdcd.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm new to the whole 3d modelling scene, so please forgive me if this is a retarded question. I've gotten my hands on a reference png for this gearbox I'm making, but when I try to drag the image onto the plane, nothing changes. Is there any way to fix this?

>> No.750979

>>750974
you might need to change your viewmode to one that includes image textures. try lookdev if you're in eevee.

>> No.750983
File: 121 KB, 1112x762, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>750979
I'm not sure what the equivalent of that would be for Max, I should've specified that at the beginning. This is what my configure viewports settings are at. I think I've put a texture with the image on the plane already, as well as dragged and dropped as the gif shows, but neither seemed to have worked.

>> No.751172

what are the advantages of proper uv unwrapping?

wouldn't i be able to get the same result from unwrapping each polygon separately, similar to a lightmap, and then use a combination of projection painting and procedural texturing to make my textures? i could also use the object coordinates of empties to place specific details like decals, scratches, etc.
i figure unwrapping each polygon separately (select all edges > mark seams > unwrap) would preserve relative differences in polygon size and minimize uv stretching.

the only problem i see with this is visible seams in the texture; but baking with a sizable margin would mitigate this, no?

>> No.751173

>>751172
You essentially give up the ability to edit your UV's in a 2D editor. There is UV less technology that works the way you think without the problem of the edgebleed, it's called Ptex and is common in offline applications. If you're doing something for an engine that uses UV's it's a good idea to minimize the number of UV islands even if you do a lazy unwrap and don't care about being able to edit the texture in photoshop etc.

>> No.751177

>>751172
For realtime this is a terrible idea.

a UV split for every polygon would make vertex shading ~5-8x slower. Mipmaps would look horrible and obviously you can't just keep every texture full res in memory without performance tanking due to cache misses etc.

>> No.751178

>>751172
>what are the advantages of proper uv unwrapping?
is like asking "what are the advantages of building a proper foundation for my house?"
Let me tell you a secret many noobs don't want to hear but which is essential to get good in any discipline....
Stop trying to use shortcuts and learn the proper way.
There are reasons why its called the proper way and trying to half-arsing it or cheating it will always backfire.
You cheat yourself - you'll get half the quality or you spent more time.
Shortcuts are for people who know how to do it properly - if you have to ask then you don't know shit. Learn the rules first - then you may break them. But without understanding you only brake yourself or your end result.
Trust me, been there done that. Its almost always faster to learn how to do it correctly than to manage a fuckton of semi working shortcuts/tricks and hacks.

PS: Ptex is shit and dead. Nobody except some autists at Pixar use it.

>> No.751190

>>751178
>PS: Ptex is shit and dead
Stop, you'll awaken the autistic Ptex anon.

>> No.751219
File: 49 KB, 694x681, garbage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I avoid this kind of garbage on my normal map when two meshes intersect? Is increasing the resolution the only option?

>> No.751221

>>751219
What are you baking to cause that to happen?
Seems like the sampler has trouble deciding what geometry to pick the normal from so the solution is to up the resolution like you've guessed, but rather than increasing the res render it using a supersampler.

>> No.751238

>>751221
Basically just baking 3 iteration subdiv mesh onto same mesh with 1 iteration. How do I use a supersampler in SP?

>> No.751379
File: 288 KB, 1500x1332, moco moco friends.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to check all the characters from pic related for inspiration but I don't want to play the whole game and catch all the pokemon creatures to do so.
If I rip the models would it be possible to open them with Blender to look at them as they would appear in the game?

>> No.751387

is there a way to adapt old UVs on a model after you've retopologized it? i had a game model with texture maps, but i'm not sure how to go about reusing them. is it just easier to go from scratch? i'm using blender but i will use anything if it's easier.

>> No.751686
File: 751 KB, 1290x670, what the fuck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Help anons. I'm painting in 2d view in substance, in order to paint parts that are partially hidden under other geometry. For some reason, the paint goes on all the objects that are nearby or on top of the painted fragment. Circled area is where I was actually painting, and as you can see the paint is all over the place. How do I solve this shit?

>> No.751730

>>751379
I just sent all of the pokemon creatures to your email anon. Along with a crummy pail of water.

>> No.751731

>>751686
I think you have to change the paint mode from projected to something else. It's been a while since I've fucked around with SP though.
Generally though, you should avoid painting as much as possible.
Like painting should be the absolute last thing you do after you've gotten as far as you can procedurally.

>> No.751737

>>751686
Use masks ffs.

>> No.751741

>>743647
Anyone try the Perception Neuron? I've been holding on to my trump bucks to get a suit. Idk if it's worth it tho

>> No.751770

>>751730
pls anon

>> No.751921

guys how the fuck do I model the glass cover of a car's headlight?

>> No.753100

I'm new to 3d and I know it might sound retarded to you guys but what exactly is "baking" in relation to 3d? please be less technical as I'm dumb if you haven't make that out already.

>> No.753110

>>743647
What's the best detailing software?

>> No.753560

Is it ok to steal another artists concept and put it into 3d for practice

>> No.754359

Tips/guides for texture painting? Everything I try just looks flat and shitty.

>> No.754365

If there was one model you'd have a beginner analyze and study what would it be?

>> No.754420

>>743647
anyway to import an obj sequence into zBrush as their own individual subtools? automagically that is