[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 161 KB, 1080x946, DO183F7WsAAaPbU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
725990 No.725990 [Reply] [Original]

Quake style low poly retro models. Modelling and animating. In blender???

Hello /3/ I'm an indie dev, aspiring to make a dusk inspired retro flavoured fps that pays homage to the gems I grew up playing (quake and doom). I know that's nothing new and remarkably original (wrath, dusk, prodeus, etc). But one step more above being a contrarian edgelord who shoots down other peoples goals, is not giving a fuck about contrarian negative edgelords who shoot down other peoples goals. I'm doing it despite the fact that there's a whole trend of people doing this.

Now I'm comfortable modelling in blender, and I can paint textures very comfortable. But how do I learn to animate a model like this?

Is there a go-to tutorial, or site that will teach me to go from concept/turnaround to model to animated ingame character ?

Thanks for your efforts or interest.

>> No.725991
File: 642 KB, 2202x1241, 123.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's some stuff of mine from the past so you can see I'm quite serious about this and give me your high hanging fruit advice reserved for only the most worthy anons.

old zombie project:
https://streamable.com/zgpjz

old zombie project:
https://streamable.com/8mvxn

recent fps controller project:
https://streamable.com/ijz3p

>> No.725997
File: 51 KB, 655x527, apu_read.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>725990
you'd have to retopo, create a really basic rig and skin it, loads of tutorials on that on youtube, especially connected to whichever game engine, whatever you use.
-
Then use the rig for animation. I'd suggest to just follow a basic walk cycle tutorial and start with that.
-
Also there is mixamo (adobe, but free), where you can upload your model, create a rig EZClap and go through tons of animations that would probably be enough for you to create a game. Those animations can go straight into unity, there is also an infinite amount of tutorials on that.

>> No.726000

its rather simple, like the other anon said, do a nice job with the topology, even if its a simple model since it can make the model look fucked up after rigging. I only animated characters in 3DsMax with bipeds, its really nice. Unreal, at least, can import bipeds with no issues at all.

>> No.726005

>>725990

Quake didn't even have rigging.

>> No.726011
File: 7 KB, 213x237, disgusted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>725990
>dusk inspired
please go away, zoomer

>> No.726028

>>725990
Why do the same thing again?

>> No.726036

>>725991
Wow that looks great, when I look into the distance it actually makes me dizzy and registers headache. Nice going with shitty pixel graphics.

>> No.726066

>>725990
just keep in mind how topology affects animation, optimize UVs, hand paint textures and keep within budget
it's really that simple, though getting assets into the engines may not be

study the topology of the models you want to emulate. check out polycount's low poly thread
there's plenty of old odds and ends about old techniques and methods for getting good looking models at a low triangle count
Paul Steed's "Thinking Outside of the Box" series as well as PDFs of his books are archived online and one of his colleagues detailed some of his tricks
https://ricardocasarino.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/paul-steed-wordware-modeling-character-in-3ds-max-2002.pdf
https://threader.app/thread/1170094518936338432

>> No.726076

>>726036
Sensitive little bitch.

>> No.726082
File: 23 KB, 264x194, 1699.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>725990
quake models didnt use bones, they had to individually model each frame. if you look at texture maps for say, the ogre its fucking simple front, back and chainsaw.

>dusk inspired retro flavoured
now here's a question. why don't you just use dusk? it has an sdk. you can just make a total conversion. why spend all that time making something that only 20 people are actually
interested in?

there are enough games that 'pay homage' to 90's fps we should start calling fps's 'doom clones'

tl;dr try making something less generic.

>> No.726083

>>726028
Seethe

>> No.726193

>>726083
Nobody's gonna play your shit anyways

>> No.726210

>>725990
They didn't have bones back then. You had to manually move verts/pieces around for each frame of each animation.
Different games had different ways of storing and using that information.
One of the ways of achieving that would be keyframing your monster, then the game engine would select the frames to be shown: 'frames 1-10' - idle, 'frames 11-20' - running, etc.

>> No.726279

Thanks for the constructive replies. I'll probably bump this thread every now and then with progress, depending on how demoralising or not it is.

>> No.726625
File: 186 KB, 1412x715, 3-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So here it is, my first model. Texture painting is postponed for now.

>> No.726626
File: 277 KB, 1828x884, 2AA2ukh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you want to see it in action:

https://streamable.com/tsurq

The skull-spawning tentacle monsters are very much a placeholder. I'll have to model those on the weekend though.

Modelling is the easy part I think, animating and texture painting will be the deciding factor.

>> No.726627 [DELETED] 

>>726626
>Jeff Koons
kek. I love this, anon. The UI sounds and vocal SFX make no sense at all but work perfectly.
Seems like it'll be a fun game to play.

>> No.726628

>>726626
>Jeff Koons
kek. I love this, anon. The UI sounds and vocal SFX make no sense at all but work perfectly. And I like the tentacle monsters too, despite the fact they're placeholders.
Seems like it'll be a fun game to play.

>> No.726673
File: 2.93 MB, 298x328, 1582035407637.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>726082
>quake models didnt use bones
>>726210
>They didn't have bones back then

The in game models didn't have bones, however they were skinned and animated using bones (or the software's equivalent) in the modelling program.
The format conversion would then bake the animations to vertices and quantize the vert positions for compression

Quake's UV mapping is a weird hack that required a 'skin frame' to project a flat UV from. Thankfully you don't have to deal with that anymore as most MDL converters will correctly convert UVs
Quake also has bizarre texture limitations for models, 200 max height but unlimited width. Hexen 2's textures are very wide because of this.

>> No.726798

I know it's not my blog. I can't help it. I have like 2 followers on twitter (one of them is my mom) so please forgive me. But here's an update

https://streamable.com/g0sh5

>>726628
Thanks anon! I sure hope so. I'm adding plenty of game modes and fluff that I would myself enjoy in a game of this type, hopefully that resonates with some of the target crowd and I can sell a copy or two when this is finished.

>>726673
Did some reading up on this and I'm honestly incredibly confused. Not sure I'll succeed at animating anything remotely resembling an active opponent desu.

>> No.726801

>>726798
They animated the models in a 3d program and the exporter spit out a game model file with an animated mesh, no bones, hell its been a while but if I remember quake animation frames are just a bunch of posed meshes. They did this till quake 3 btw.

>> No.726867

>>726801

that actually makes sense, because the originals animations look incredibly jittery by modern standards. there is clearly no interpolation whatsoever going on there.

>> No.726872

>>726867
jittering is happening because of vertex position rounding which was really aggressive to preserve memory
it has nothing to do with interpolation

>> No.726875

Bump
I had a simliar idea for a project, but i would render lowres sprites instead of using the actual 3d model.
Non related question, but how do you go about texturing like this? just use a low res image and go crazy or do you plan beforehand?

>>726798
Aight, i'm interested. Drop your twitter big boy

>> No.726891

>>726875

I'm actually considering doing this because it would be pretty great to get around the challenge of actually animating models. And I already spent some time working on a performant 8-sided billboard script for characters

My twitter is @swimclubdunk but seriously don't expect much.

>> No.728350

bump

>> No.728504

>>726801
Can confirm, I've modeled for Quake as recently as a year ago.