[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 551 KB, 1479x920, render6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
724007 No.724007 [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys, any industry character artist here?? If there are then how did you guys get into the industry and tips for a graduate on how they can get their first job as a character artist??

>> No.724026

>>724007
You just have to be good, that's all. It's not that hard.

>> No.724050

school only teaches you the bare basics.

It's up to you to practice and practice. Its very competitive. So stand out.

>> No.724057
File: 36 KB, 600x600, duckduckpoo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>724007
>graduate
Did you really pay for a degree? You should know by now to sculpt 14 hours a day as a neet from home. Going to school for art is really from day one, pre-day one (orientation), you're supposed to be networking, socializing, making connections. You can learn more in an hour from downloading tutorials on CGP than a week in school. However, the past is the past so now I ask you did you make connections? I have a friend who went to CalArts and is pretty shit at animating, but he's really good at connections. He's already interned twice at various midhouse studios and is probably going to find something in Texas though it's only because of his connections. School is connections, you shouldn't be asking /3/, you should be asking the alumni and counselors where to go from here. Where did you go to school and how muh did you pay?

Is that your work in the render? Where's your character studies?

>> No.724087

>>724007
Hey, CG generalist here working mostly on characters in a medium big company. I was fortunate enough that companies came to visit my university near graduation. So I got my first job through interviews then. I feel a bit like I was at the right place at the right time though.

I would suggest that you:
- Work up a portfolio/showreel, showing only your best work.
- Contact recruiters on linkedin from the places you want to work and share your work with them
- Go to industry related meetups/drinks/hangouts/festivals and talk to recruiters and other professionals

Can we see more of your work?

>> No.724094

>>724007

Make art that is in the same style as the place you want to work.

>> No.724105

>>724087
Thanks my dude and yeah I've seen it before when someone was in the right place at the right time aha. Yeah I would love to show you. Have you got and email or do you want a link to my artstation??

>> No.724106

>>724094
Yeah I've heard that a few times from people but I feel like you run the risk of not being able to have chances at multiple companies and if you dont get a job at a specific place then you will have to change your art style to another company

>> No.724109
File: 543 KB, 1920x1034, 20200208_170532.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>724057
Yeah ahaha I wasted probably £40,000 on a university degree but I was told that people take you more seriously when it comes to having a degree (dont ask me why, that's just what I was told ahaha) yeah I mean I've seen cases of not so good people getting into the industry because they know some people, I remember I guy at uni had an uncle who was a lead designer at CD project red and wanted him to go work for him, but the guy would just model wierd aliens with penises ahahhaa. Networking is a good way but I find it difficult some times. I went to a university in southampton and yeah paid around £40k ahaha yeah that is my recent work. Here is its final render

>> No.724115

>>724109
How good are you at sculpting anatomy? Most game companies are looking for proficiency in human characters. Your model is decent but you could probably only find something at 12-14 an hour. It might have to do with your textures however, maybe the lighting render. In my opinion you should practice serious character sculpts going on 10-14 hours a day, build a portfolio (you should be building one already), and again, maybe find an alumni who can help, get your foot in with any connections you've made, or focus on generalist positions by creating set work and environments if your anatomy is lacking right now.

It's a decent model, but where is your anatomy? That is what will get you into character artist positions right off the bat, with great organic showcase.

>> No.724116

>>724115
Yeah that is very true, human anatomy is crazy important and practice will be the only thing to improve. Cheers for the feedback my dude. Really helps alot :)

>> No.724119

>>724116
Well I'm not berating you because I can tell you want to do this. I would normally berate most OPs but you're dedicated. Is there anything you want to know or need help with?

>> No.724122

>>724105
A link to your artstartion would be grand. If you would like specific portfolio/showreel feedback, I'd be happy to help :)

>> No.724136

>>724119
Yeah I know my dude and I'm really glad you have taken the time to comment and explain things wrong and right with my work. I really love what i do and it's definitely what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'd love to know your thoughts on the games industry and do you enjoy working for AAA studios, or indie studios or freelance??

>> No.724137

>>724122
Awesome here is a link https://www.artstation.com/joshdawson9797 and I dont mind. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong to not get even an interview for companies

>> No.724139

>>724137
you just doxxed yourself lmao

>> No.724144
File: 664 KB, 3632x1470, BigDaddy_ModelSheet_HiRes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>724137

Did you use the specular workflow for the big daddie. I suggest you use metalness for all future projects. It's just way easier to manage different materials and not have to basically work with 2 different color maps. My advice is to forget game art limitations throw the kitchen sink at it. Post your work on Sketchfab as Marmoset kills all detail with the online viewer. Look at that picture and all the silhouette changes. If you sculpt a wrinkle in the cloth model it in the low poly. Bend some of the drill bit and metal frame. Make cuts in the metal and model them in. Make it interesting to look at from all angles and not just a collection of shapes. See the way he did those tanks they look like they have been used for ages. Add loads of texture variation with cuts, rips accumulated dirt on the cloth. Add loads of variation in the roughness map as it's looking too flat. It's the extra 10% that makes models good I find.

>> No.724152

>>724139
Ahaha yeah I know but oh well aha

>> No.724154

>>724144
Oooo yeah that's very interesting and yeah marmoset can be very annoying sometime. It was only really done to show the different texture maps aha. Thank you for this feedback, it really helps alot my dude :)