[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 318 KB, 1920x1054, sanhanat-suwanwised-popnew-07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
723514 No.723514 [Reply] [Original]

How to get over the fear of starting a sculpt?

I will be failing for YEARS before I can get to the level of pic related. Everything I do just looks like CRAP and I feel humiliated whenever I try and reminded how absolutely garbage I am...

>> No.723518

Sculpt anyway. Everything is an iterative process. You aren't going to get good if you think "this is too hard"

>> No.723519

>>723514

dude. justz take real sculpting classes at next real life school. after 3 month you will get used to basics or stop it and go over to the fucking hard surface modeling.

>> No.723528

>>723514
Dude, go step by step.
See what your sculpt lacks in comparison to a better one.
Start with the basics, do a few sculpts of the head shapes and forms, when you grasp this too, your sculpts of human heads will improve a lot since the rest of the stuff just go on top of the basic structure like anatomy.

>> No.723531

Took me 2 years to get to this level starting from zero with no knowledge of a 3D pipeline.

I am not including the texture skills in these 2 years. Not really that interested in ultra-realistic texturing.

>> No.723550

>>723531
How many hours a day were you dedicating to 3D on average? About to start the journey myself so I'd like a general idea

>> No.723555

>>723531
Don't fucking lie, we all know 99.999% on this board are blendlets and we also know that blendlets could never produce quality like that.

>> No.723556
File: 36 KB, 600x600, duckduckpoo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can relate to you very much, and for the reasons that are likely similar to my own I avoided sculpting because I was scared. I was scared I wasn't good enough, I read thread after thread on Polycount and the like which discussed the complexities and difficulty to sculpting. I read about artists stating that drawing would be a necessity to gain intimate knowledge about shaping, silhouettes, and anatomy. I felt very meek and pathetic, and for those reasons I put my all into hard surface, animation, and environmental creation. If I wasn't going to be able to make characters without a few years under my belt, I decided it wasn't worth it.

As my skills developed I learned fast. In two weeks I could animate to the quality of combat arms. In three months I was at Call of Duty 4 levels and consistently interacted with friends on FPSBanana to collaborate. Eventually I picked up hard surface, and while it took a year to get to AAA professional level I was very lazy. I thought there's no way, I have no schooling. No real, serious mentors. And yet I persisted. Within a year and a half I was texturing and modelling at an AAA level, better than what some of these companies were putting out at the time. And yet still I felt inadequate. Character art was something I wanted to do since childhood. Creating art and movies, tv shows, and games was what I have always wanted to do. Yet for the life of me I was paralyzed with fear of just making characters. Too much work. Then in 2017 I went through life changing trauma and after it all settled down and got better I decided to just say fuck it, I'm going to die anyway, I'll try to make characters. I bought a tablet with a screen, because fuck retards saying that a screen isn't necessary or needed, went to cgp, and started sculpting. In three days I was able to put together a full bust from a sphere. In a week I could make stylized characters. In two weeks I made professional stylization. In a month I made my first attempt at realism.

>> No.723558

>>723556
Within three months 14 hours a day I got to the quality you posted on /3/, maybe 90%. In 6 I was at a professional level and now am instead of making hero props and developing shaders for scenes, I'm a character artist who is confident in his abilities. Is my texturing to the level of gods I've seen on Artstation? No. Is my sculpting level to that of them as well? No. Some of them are able to create the intricate necessities so perfectly that it still makes me jealous. But am I making good enough sculpts for Apex Legends? Yes. Am I making good enough sculpts for CoDMW(N)? 90% yes, and by hand, not scanned. Do I now have the most desired artistry skill that I have always wanted as a child? Yes. Did I learn never to put a skillset on a pedestal again? Yes.

Listening to those fuckwits and pseudo snobbish cunts from various sectors of the 3D industry led to my crippling and insecurity of taking on such a skillset. It is all bullshit, what really, really matters in my opinion, is intelligence and creativity. Not intelligence with no creativity, and not creativity with no intelligence. But intelligence and creativity will make it so that you can fly past everyone else with ease. Don't listen to the idiots who tell you you need to be able to draw 2D to see 3D correctly. Absolute horse shit. 2D is the skillset of putting perspective into reality, 3D eliminates this by presenting us with correct perspective already. There is no need to learn 2D unless you want to design your own characters iterations faster. That's fine then. But by just making five ears a day on a base mesh, the noses, the eye areas, the cheeks, and by studying references relentlessly, you can gain skillful anatomy even if you don't know a single name or a single semantic. I still barely know the words for different parts of the ear. So fuck learning anatomy definition. Also, don't listen to anyone who says buy a tablet without a screen. Sure, they are more expensive.But you don't need a cintiq.

>> No.723559

>>723558
The screen helps you bypass fumbling with your computer screen and the length of the tablet measurements for a few weeks. It's worth it too because it always feels better sculpting like you're actually touching it - biologically that is. Cognitively. You need to realize everyone huffs their own farts. Art is most pseud bullshit route you can take but that's only because so many pseud retards go into it. Going back to intelligence I am seriously arguing that if you have 130+ you will excel in a year or two. If you have 140+ you could o it even faster. But it's not just intelligence, it's also creativity. What is creativity? Do a thousand ideas pop into your head whenever anything happens to you? Do you think about your ideas and daydream? Do ideas make you happy? Food for thought.

In closing I only give you this sincere advice because I felt the exact same way you do now. And anyone who puts character development on a pedestal is likely a midwit or brainlet who took a few years to get to such a level. It's pathetic. Just commit to characters, sculpt 14 hours a day or until it's not enjoyable or you don't feel that burning to get a section completed. You will fuck up, just move past it. That's all you have to do. What is a fuck up anyway? Probably sculpting in Orthographic mode after completing your model from start to finish. Will it suck? Yes. Have I done it before? Yes. Do they look amazing in that mode? Yes. Do they look like shit in perspective? YES. Fuckups will happen and again, just let it go.

Take my words to heart, it is not difficult and it ultimately doesn't matter when you get to the certain skill levels you want. Figuring yourself out as an artist is what is important, and dedication to the craft takes precedent. Can't do 14 do 10. Can't do 10 do 8. Can't do 8 do 4. Can't do 4 - well it's just you at this point who is holding you back.

Fuck every single pseud retard who says it takes years to get to such levels. You just need to do it.

>> No.723560

>>723559
I know this is better to ask in the questions thread, but since you guys know how to sculpt, I've got a dumbass question for you. How do you guys join block out shapes so quickly and cleanly? When I try to do a booolean union between an arm cylinder and an elbow sphere I never get something usable

>> No.723561

>>723560
Are you using zspheres? In my opinion they just hinder you and I don't use them. As for creating the arm I'd just suggest putting limbs into polygroups or full subtools. Go back later and merge after you've made a proper arm or leg. Do the same method with hands and feet.

>> No.723562

>>723556
Thank you for these words anon, they really helped me.

>> No.723585

>>723560
I just reread your question and realized that I answered incorrectly. In order to be able to block out shapes with precision and effortlessness you need to reach such abilities first. The real question you should be asking yourself is how do I gain such ability in the first place? I would suggest using yandex image search (better than Google) to find people. Not just people, anatomy. The eye ridges, cheek shapes, mouth contours, it all begins to make more sense when you just study and imitate on a sculpt. From reference to draft, reference to draft, you will reiterate until you push and pull correctly. And people may think that they have gotten somewhere once they can push and pull correctly, but they need to fasten the times it takes to make something beautiful. Practice specifically making arms, if that's what you're struggling with. Study both 3D sculpts by other people and real life arms of men or women. The shaping, the muscles, the fat. Everything can be brought together iby practicing. Blocking out is easy when you start at low amount of polys, use the move tool to push and use the clay tool to create quick blobs. Shift to smooth. That's really all you need and with practice it will be easy.

Don't bridge and connect elbows or arms, that's not going to help you fast enough. Create the entire arm instead in one subtool or polygroup. It will be much easier then. The bottom line is that you need to practice making entire arms anatomically correct because piecing together arms sounds counter intuitive as it's not an object that would usually be separated. Same applies to the legs. Make the entire limb as a singlular object.

>> No.723597
File: 163 KB, 1358x806, jv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>723514
I was stuck too. I just spent tons of time watching tutorials and anatomy videos. You will feel confident enough to do stuff after that.

>> No.723600

>>723514
Instead of being humiliated learn to feel humbled instead. Failure is a great teacher and in things like art it's of no concern seeing how it can't injure or incapacitate you, you're not trying to do backflips anon, what's the worst thing that can happen to you when you fail?

>> No.723605

>>723600
Best advice anyone can give for any endeavor.

>> No.723699

>>723555
I achieved this level because I don't use Blender. I use Modo. I watched several tutorials of other 3D packages taking about 1h to do something I can do in seconds in Modo.

Only pro's using 3dsmax are as quick as I am in Modo and I don't even come close to the speed of pro's in Modo.

I remember when everyone was saying how much of a time saver Live Booleans is for ZBrush users. Tor Frick (Modo power user) learned how to do Live Booleans in Modo a year prior.

>>723550
3D is about knowing what to do. How to do it is a matter of user choice. You've got the wrong mindset, dude.

2D skill is expanded by practice.
3D skill is expanded by knowledge.

If you want to crush learn how to do both.

>> No.723826

>>723600
I'm scared though

>> No.723832

>>723514
Learn to suck shit.

>> No.723833

>>723559
Which screen tablet would you recommend for zbrush?

>> No.723848

>>723833

Don't listen to him they are all shit. Too dark, too small, grain noise texture on screen so everything looks like it's from a horror movie. t cintiq 22 owner. Sculptors do not need hand eye coordination because 3d sculpting is nothing like traditional where as drawing is still drawing on tablet or screen.

>> No.723855

>>723833
Don't listen to the brainlet who replied to you. I've used plenty of screen wacoms and various chink brands and the best one for the price is the Huion Kamvas selection. Way cheaper yet can do what you need and still give supportive results like a Wacom. The guy is a brainlet and unfortunately he lost brain power in the second half of his post so it's best to ignore his drivel. He is obviously not a visual person so he tries to dissuade you from utilizing a visual feel. It's a sad fate.

>> No.723856

>>723826
Fear is inevitable in life, if not here than with something somewhere else.
If you wanna succeed you need to get in the habit of doing things in spite of your fear, or indeed because of it.

You don't have to go all Evel Knievel but when doing so is reasonable at all always try to face your fears anon, for that is how you adapt and overcome.

>> No.723860
File: 83 KB, 600x800, 1575333670701.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>723855

Must consoom product it's only way to be good artist.

>> No.723867

>>723860
No it really does make a difference. It makes sculpting more physically pleasurable. As an added bonus, it is MUCH better for drawing, and every sculptor should practice basic drawing skills. Kamvas 22.

>> No.723868

>>723860

A tablet is the only way to produce good sculpts.

>> No.723872

Go for Wacom. The product is designed FOR artists. There's a reason why all artists use it.

The only issue is price and if you ever used a Wacom you know it's worth it. Why? Because you'll use it for the rest of your life.

It doesn't break. It doesn't need updates. Its pen doesn't need batteries. The screen does indeed have a grainy texture. And if you're not retarded you would realize that's just an anti-glare screen which can be REMOVED.

>> No.723873

>>723872
desu these. gooklets always run into stupid issues with their tablets, shit drivers, conflicts and such. i'm wacom since 2006, i've changed 4 tablets already and every single time i sold off the old one because they never fucking brake. at all. japanese magic. this mean you can easily get a used.

>> No.723874

80% of aesthetic completion is 80% more than 0%. Just go for it. You can't get the other 20% by not doing anything.

>> No.723881

>>723514
the fear of STARTING a sculpt ??? What is wrong with you?

>> No.723889

>>723868

I didn't say a tablet I said a screen tablet was not necessary.

>> No.723900

>>723881
When you first start out as an absolute beginner, particularly if you have negligible 2d art skill (talking more the mental / visualization side) which is not uncommon amongst 3pots, you'll try to sculpt something from your imagination but it'll come out as ultra garbage because 1) your mastery of the tool is limited (you're a beginner) and 2) your core art skills (ex: understanding the small and large shapes that make up something) will be bad

So when you have this perfect idea, this abstraction, of a flawless waifu floating in Plato's realm of ideal perfect waifus, and then you conjure her through the portal of your soul into this reality and she emerges as a hideous deformed beast, you lose hope.
It's just beginner blues; if you stick with it (even if you're starting at less than 0 art skill) eventually shit will start to form the way you want it to, and then you realize you don't know shit about the human body and then you have to go study again, and then repeat the process

>> No.723905

>>723900
Well, you have a painful 10000+ hour journey ahead of you my friend. Nobody was born a master, they all had to get there somehow.
Good luck, even if it takes you years.

>> No.724132

>>723905
I'm not him, you baka. I was explaining the mindset of OP

>> No.724166

>>723514
learn first to draw realistically.

>> No.724397

>>723514

Comparing yourself to other too much is a bad thing, especially if you have a fear of failure.

When I was a student I was the happiest when I was just sculpting characters and trying the best that I could. I kinda had an idea of what was actually good vs where I was but would never really dwell too much on people in the industry.

In my last year of school I had a panic that I wasn't going to get a job and would browse Artstation every day and it made me not want to work. I would just see people who were way better than I was and I felt like I was wasting my time.

I was able to get a job as a character artist out of school but I was very upset and frustrated every day worrying about my skills.

Unless you are trying to get a job as an artist I wouldn't worry about what everyone else is doing. If you are, look for people who are regular junior artists, not the hot-shot Rookies winning superstars or front page Artstation artists.

The easiest way for me to start a sculpt is to make a really shitty looking block in. I can't leave a sculpt until I like the way it's going and if it looks like garbage I'm going to go at until it looks semi decent. Once its going well you will be excited to keep working on it.