[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 2.74 MB, 1980x1080, Hammer2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
693587 No.693587 [Reply] [Original]

So I just decided to get in to blender because of the new update and I have never had any experience with 3d modeling before.I followed a tutorial and for a first try I think I did pretty good, what do you all think ?

just messed up the bottom of the handle with the texture

>> No.693588
File: 261 KB, 328x272, ht.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wait.
didn't you post that hammer couple weeks ago?

>> No.693590

>>693588
Nope probably someone else who followed the same tutorial.

Anyway got any tips on good places to find textures or tutorials as most youtubers fill their videos with personal crap like err and umms

>> No.693601

>>693587
>what do you all think ?
Keep going, don't stop to pat yourself on the back.
Save your renders to somewhere on the web (DA, FA, google storage, whatever) so you can see the progress you've made.
If you put your renders somewhere public (which I don't *really* recommend) always credit the tutorial for two reasons 1) so that other people can learn too, maybe write a tiny bit about what you learned from the tutorial or what you liked / didn't like.
and 2) so that if some day someone in a professional capacity sees your shit they won't give you an automatic disqualification for having uncredited tutorial shit in your profile (even if you don't consider your DA or whatever your profile).

Seriously, some stupid cretin shitposter is going to say "lmao at giving credit to tutorial authors!!!" but I've seen plenty of threads through out the years on /3/ of someone posting their 3D reel (or a 3D reel) only for someone in the thread to go "Oh, I recognize that bulge. That background character that showed up at 3:01:02 for exactly five frames is from Tim Dingdong's expert Dong 'n Balls tutorial"

Seriously, you don't want that to happen to you.

Some people will tell you that you shouldn't follow tutorials 100%, that you should try to do your own shit to make it your own.
These people are trying to sabotage you. Just plow through as many tutorials as you can, learn as much as you can, if you get stuck in a tutorial (like proper stuck) then set it aside and move on to another tutorial that does a similar project then come back to the tutorial you got stuck on.
Eventually you'll go from "I learned so much doing this series!" to "I learned exactly one new thing. Wish I'd known that about 6 months ago though", and as long as you're still learning one new thing, you're doing good.

More in the next post.

>> No.693604

>>693601
Cont.

Eventually if you keep up with tutorials a year from now or so (maybe 6 months if you're super dedicated, maybe longer than a year if you're not dedicated) you'll eventually outgrow tutorials.
At that point you'll want to move on to learning THEORY, theory is the sort of broad concepts in art, photography, lighting, optics (physics).
Theory is the sort of stuff you learn in art school, where the assumption is you already know how to get things out of your head and onto the paper (or screen).
Everything you've done with tutorials is for the purpose of learning how to take an image or idea or concept in your mind and put it on the screen.
The next step is to learn how to make a better image in your mind, or how to better take someone else's idea (i.e. a concept sketch) and take it further than what's just on the page.
That's THEORY.

>>693590
Don't concern yourself with "good" tutorials. At first you want to do short little tutorials that don't overwhelm you, even if the guy in the video stutters and (as you find out later) does everything slowly and clumsily.
That's going to happen, it's just the nature of those super beginner tutorials.

Eventually you'll want to do longer tutorial series that are several hours long and have you go through the entire process much deeper than anything you've done so far. You can find these tutorials on cgpersia or often just google them.
Personally I avoid torrenting anymore, I just go for direct downloads; other people feel differently. You can also buy stuff but the only reason to buy stuff is if (say with cgcookie) you want to be able to talk to other people also doing the tutorial(s) for help / advice / whatever.

>> No.693607

>>693601
>"Oh, I recognize that bulge. That background character that showed up at 3:01:02 for exactly five frames is from Tim Dingdong's expert Dong 'n Balls tutorial"

Can I get a link to that tutorial?

>> No.693616

>>693604
>>693601
I went on a college course for 3d game development but at the time I couldn't be bothered with college, most of the course was just writing essays and only 1 day a week on 3d software, pissed me off. Anyway I dropped out and studied something else but i've always dabbled in porting assets to other games and converting files, extracting files out of game engines. I decided to to take this seriously now and I have to say that tutorial I watched taught me more than 6 months at college.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of making a youtube channel with a group of people building 3d models, animating and adding state of the art effects and creating stories about historical vehicles from the past. I know a youtube channel that sort of does this called Mustard, but the models are normally planes in the sky flying along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elUJCEC06r8&t=615s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZSD7pVIUkY

I followed this one really good, speaks very clearly and there is no messing around it's .