[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 5 KB, 241x209, images(12).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
672336 No.672336 [Reply] [Original]

I want to learn blender, but it'll take a while because I'm so tuned to 3dsmax. Key and mouse controls are pretty much completely flipped so I'm struggling to get comfortable.

Is it worth it?

>> No.672344

>>672336
eeh no.. why would you even want to do that?!

>> No.672363

All those software options available, and you chose to go with Blender?

>> No.672369

https://blenderartists.org/t/bmax-tools-or-how-i-left-3ds-max

>> No.672372

>>672336
there's an option to flip them back and it's even the default in 2.8

>> No.672374

>Open Blender
>File menu
>User Preferences
>Input tab -> Preset: 3DSMax
There, stop cutting your wrists.

>> No.672377
File: 952 KB, 465x254, shitno.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's probably a bad idea to learn Blender right at this moment.
If you dive into it with 2.79, you will get frustrated later on when 2.80 is finalized with all the stuff you have to re-learn and also because the new version is a fuckton easier especially for newcomers.
If you jump right into 2.80, on top of your noob problems you ALSO have to deal with obscure bugs and every time something strange happens you don't know if you just did something wrong of if some bug did some bullshit.
If I was you I'd either wait until around August, after they had that huge programmer meetup+ code cleanup and then dive straight into 2.80 or go for 2.80 now and tinker around with it without any expectations and to keep the frustration low.

inb4 super smart
>it's always a bad idea to learn Blender
reply. It's totally fine if you're an hobbyist or freelancer to some degree. The toolset it has is absolute adequate for this and the main problem professionals is the lack of actual customer support and reliable work pipelines between other big name programs. Also their texture painting tools suck big time still but that's about it.

>> No.672379
File: 39 KB, 978x466, Screenshot_2019-03-17 BMax Tools or how I left 3ds Max ).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672369

>> No.672381

>>672336
no, its bad for sculpting, bad for modelling, the only merit it has is that its free and animation is somewhat okay.

>> No.672385
File: 1.54 MB, 230x230, 1522820432339.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672381
>>672377
>>672363
>>672344
Jesus christ, you faggots are cancer.
Why does Blender make you so insecure? Is it that hard to accept that it outshines Maya and Max in many respects because you've "wasted" so much money on those programs?
Or are you just afraid of learning a new software package? Blender isn't hard, just get to it.

>> No.672387

>>672377
anyone who uses 2.8 rn is a dummy

>> No.672388

>>672385
i know how to use, maya, max,cinema,zbrush,fusion and several others including blender. and blender is just missing so much content. and no i have student licenses for autodesk programs because im not a retard like you. blender is missing so many modelling tools and modifiers that max outshines it at, its missing a lot of animation and rigging tools that maya outshines it at, and its missing a lot of sculpting tools that zbrush outshines it at. blender has nothing to offer but its "free" license, its tools are fucking lacking and you would know this if you actually went outside blender you fucking blendlet.

>> No.672389
File: 10 KB, 275x183, 1528055161395.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672388
>blender is just missing so much content
Except Blender can do almost everything FOUR of those programs can do and more? Are you retarded?
Care to mention something you feel Blender is "lacking"?

>i have student licenses for autodesk programs because im not a retard like you
Well, I have pirated full versions, so I guess that makes you the retard.

>blender is missing so many modelling tools and modifiers that max outshines it at
Max has a different workflow when it comes to modifiers, so you can hardly expect it to be identical. Care to mention what you feel Blender is lacking in this regard?

>its missing a lot of animation and rigging tools that maya outshines it at
I've seen this claim many times, but never have I seen any evidence to suggest that's actually true. I'm not mainly an animator or rigger, so I might be wrong, but I've never had any trouble rigging or animating in Blender. Maya has some really retarded bugs in this department too, and the whole system of hiriarchy dependency is just a mess.
Again, I'd like to hear actual examples on things you fail to do in Blender.

>and its missing a lot of sculpting tools that zbrush outshines it at
Zbrush currently still handles more polygons than Blender (but blender can do 30 million+ tris, so it's not as though that matters much), and it has a bigger selection of better brushes right out of the box. But there's nothing Zbrush can do that you can't also do in Blender, one way or another.

>blender has nothing to offer
This is pretty much proof that you don't know Blender. Blender has many other tools, and they're not "lacking", but the main thing about it is that
>it's extremely much faster than the alternatives
>it has almost zero bugs (like Maya's massive memory leaks and frequent crashes)
>it's very light-weight

Go actually learn some Blender instead of being such an insufferable faggot.

>> No.672395

>>672389
>But there's nothing Zbrush can do that you can't also do in Blender, one way or another.
Dynamesh?

>> No.672396

>>672395
Currently only directly available through an addon, but you can use fill with the simplify brush.
Think someone said it will be in vanilla 2.8 Blender soon, though.
There's also the InstantMeshes implementation into Blender, which can serve the same purpose to some extent.

>> No.672398

>>672396
>>672395
There's also the remesh modifier, but I haven't used it much myself.

>> No.672399

>>672389
>I'm not mainly an animator or rigger, so I might be wrong.
Yes of course are you wrong. You don't know shit, so you cannot judge what you don't know. You are clueless.
>But there's nothing Zbrush can do that you can't also do in Blender, one way or another.
hahaha....Wrong!
>Blender is extremely much faster than the alternatives
overall, no it isn't.
>it has almost zero bugs
wrong!
>it's very light-weight
because it lacks functionality

Go actually learn some Maya or Max you insufferable faggot before you open your mouth and spout bullshit.

>> No.672402
File: 148 KB, 987x700, 1538797819047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672399

Nice arguments. You couldn't come up with a single thing?
Not one?
Hell, even I would've been able to come up with a little bullshit half-lie or two to justify using Maya for rigging/animation.

>> No.672403

>>672389
>Go actually learn some Blender instead of being such an insufferable faggot.
i already told you i know this program. its so fuckign easy because it lacks content so there isnt much to learn lol.

>Well, I have pirated full versions, so I guess that makes you the retard.
no that makes you the retard because you have an illegal copy, i dont and its easy to renew it and i get updates while you have to reinstall the whole package lol.
>Max has a different workflow when it comes to modifiers, so you can hardly expect it to be identical. Care to mention what you feel Blender is lacking in this regard?
no its not a different workflow its the same workflow for any modelling program there isnt much to it but the problem with blender is that its fundamentally missing alot of component operations for vertices,edges,faces and elements in max its all neatly put together.
>I've seen this claim many times, but never have I seen any evidence to suggest that's actually true. I'm not mainly an animator or rigger, so I might be wrong, but I've never had any trouble rigging or animating in Blender. Maya has some really retarded bugs in this department too, and the whole system of hiriarchy dependency is just a mess.
Again, I'd like to hear actual examples on things you fail to do in Blender.
trying to set an ik rig in blender is retarded, because you have to manually set up the handle when even max and maya do it fast and easy for you. same for cameras you have to manually set up constraint targets when max and maya do it for you. you have to do so many things manually its just tiresome. the only merit it has in the animation is that its sort of easy to switch between weight painting.

and as far as sculpting goes, blender gives the wrong impression of it. sculpting is no different than modelling because you work on a low poly to high poly model thats it. blender gives noobies the impression that you add detail and then retopology, which is not sculpting should be taught.

>> No.672406

>>672403
>i already told you i know this program. its so fuckign easy because it lacks content so there isnt much to learn lol.
It's pretty obvious you're lying, because
1. You don't know how to use Blender
2. You think Blender "lacks content" when it in fact has 10x the content of most standard software packages. This isn't an option, it's just objective fact.

>no that makes you the retard because you have an illegal copy, i dont and its easy to renew it and i get updates while you have to reinstall the whole package lol.
It's not hard to install new versions of a software. Are you literally mentally handicapped? Is that why you struggle so much with Blender?

>no its not a different workflow its the same workflow for any modelling program
Not even sure what to write in reply to this. That is one hell of a misinformed opinion you've got there.

>the problem with blender is that its fundamentally missing alot of component operations
Such as?
Literally just give me an example?

>trying to set an ik rig in blender is retarded, because you have to manually set up the handle when even max and maya do it fast and easy for you
You need a handle for your IK in any software, Anon... And by "setting up manully" do you mean the single click you have to do on the bone you want to be the handle?

>same for cameras you have to manually set up constraint targets when max and maya do it for you
Ah, it's you again. This was the argument you presented last time too. Literlally just click your camera, and add an aim constraint targeting your object. That's it. It's not hard, it doesn't take time, it's not complicated.

>you have to do so many things manually its just tiresome
That's exactly what makes Maya and Max so much worse - That every operation is manual and hidden in a long drop-down list.

cont.

>> No.672408

>>672403
>>672406
>and as far as sculpting goes, blender gives the wrong impression of it. sculpting is no different than modelling because you work on a low poly to high poly model thats it. blender gives noobies the impression that you add detail and then retopology, which is not sculpting should be taught.
This is some of the stupidest shit I've read on this site.
You can do the same in Blender as you can do in Zbrush, but yes, you do have tools for box modeling too. What the hell are you even trying to say?

Also, please stop typing like a 13 year old girl.

>> No.672409

>>672408
It probably is one and not just typing like one

>> No.672411

>>672406
>It's not hard to install new versions of a software. Are you literally mentally handicapped? Is that why you struggle so much with Blender?
no ones saying its hard lol, i get to keep my version and just install a new one from the app manager with just a click, while you have to WAIT for a torrent and uninstall, reinstall the fucking program lmao, im not new retard ive done this shit many times until i just said fuck it im done reinstalling. but more work for you i guess.

>Not even sure what to write in reply to this. That is one hell of a misinformed opinion you've got there.
you have the wrong impression of modelling

>>the problem with blender is that its fundamentally missing alot of component operations
Such as?
Literally just give me an example?
you cant select elements of an object in blender, it only gives you verts edges and faces for selections, no borders or elements. for instance a cup has 2 elements a handle and the cup itself you have to manually select that handle when max lets you select that handle fast and easy with a simple click. especially if a component has tons of information or if it its clipping and you cant reach(maya also has element selection)(and element selection is great for color ids). you cant detach elements of that object as clones so its destructive and you cant detach selected elements into elements easily in blender you would have to separate it and then join it when in max its a simple click again. you also cant adjust triangulations in blender aka the edge you can flick back and fort on a quad. aligning shit in blender is like a fucking 10 step process when in max you can do it fast and easy with grid align or even a custom grid. relaxing mesh is rigid/limited in blender, max has more control that goes for a lot of the operations with bevels,extrusiosn and chamfers. i can go on and on with this shit dude.

>> No.672412

>>672411
You keep on writing your drivel, don't you?

>you cant select elements of an object in blender, it only gives you verts edges and faces for selections, no borders or elements
Wrong and definitive proof that you don't know how to use Blender.

>for instance a cup has 2 elements a handle and the cup itself you have to manually select that handle when max lets you select that handle fast and easy with a simple click. especially if a component has tons of information or if it its clipping and you cant reach
Select one part of the mesh you want and hit Ctrl+L to select all connected vertices. If you want them to be separate objects, you then hit P.

> you cant detach elements of that object as clones so its destructive
Shift+D to duplicate selection, P to separate. Nothing destructive about it.

>and you cant detach selected elements into elements easily in blender
Ctrl+J to join objects.

>you also cant adjust triangulations in blender aka the edge
Ctrl+E -> Edge rotate

>aligning shit in blender is like a fucking 10 step process when in max you can do it fast and easy with grid align or even a custom grid
Grid snapping is a thing in Blender too, retard.
There are many alternatives for snapping objects to a face or specific location.

Stop being a retard any day and never post again.

>> No.672413

>>672408
>This is some of the stupidest shit I've read on this site.
>You can do the same in Blender as you can do in Zbrush, but yes, you do have tools for box modeling too. What the hell are you even trying to say?
its not the same lmao
in zbrush to sculpt shit you have a low poly and high poly version usually up to divisions of 6, in blender noobies dont even start that way, they get taught to already have a giant mesh blob, shape it and put it together with other blobs like you would with real sculpting and then retopology it when youre done to make it even usable. thats not how it should be done. blender doesnt have a workflow for lowpoly to high poly divisions. all you have on blender is dynotop which adds/removes geometry to the base mesh which is why you would have to retopology. the biggest problem is that you would have to retopology to a low poly cage as best you can, so you can bake the high poly information on to it when you go and texture it. noobs need to be taught to work from a low poly cage mesh and then just switch to a high poly subdivision to add details which you can later bake the information on to. and thing about already have a low to high and that you can also provide one inbetween. blender doesnt offer this workflow but zbrush does. and no one should work that way its too fucking stupid even zbrush doesnt have a way to add geometry on the brush like dyntopo because its a dumb workflow.

>> No.672415
File: 194 KB, 670x637, GIF00.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672412
you cant be serious lol

no you know what i mean by blender being all over the place and being a special little kid. yes i know you cake those selections but im talking about how blender has dumb workaround for it like why? cinema max and maya have it right there on the same menu for vert edge and face selections, blender you have to know a keybind and making ita 2 step process to select the object and the hit a keybind.

>Shift+D to duplicate selection, P to separate. Nothing destructive about it.
yes but again a retarded workaround and thats all blender is going to be, which is why it makes it fucking slow, have a one step process? blender will double it.

>Ctrl+J to join objects
thats not what i was talking about. im talking about making a selection on an object and then breaking it into another object of that object. in blender you would have to break it and the join it again make it more work to do.

>Ctrl+E -> Edge rotate
no lol that means the object would need to be triangulated. max does it without triangulating.

>Grid snapping is a thing in Blender too, retard.
i know it is, retard. im saying its fucking dumb process to apply it lmao.
again blender makes things 10 times more complicated by doing twice the amount of work you would do on max or maya, and you have already proven that.

>> No.672417

>>672413
>in zbrush to sculpt shit you have a low poly and high poly version usually up to divisions of 6
You don't have to do that in Zbrush anymore, since they finally implemented Sculptris, and also, you can do the same in Blender with the multiresolution modifier.

> in blender noobies dont even start that way, they get taught to already have a giant mesh blob, shape it and put it together with other blobs like you would with real sculpting and then retopology it when youre done
You can dot hat in Zbrush too. There are many ways to begin sculpting. You're just continuing to reveal your absolutely horrid lack of basic knowledge.

>blender doesnt have a workflow for lowpoly to high poly divisions
Blender has had the multires modifier for many years, you dumb fuck.

>all you have on blender is dynotop which adds/removes geometry to the base mesh which is why you would have to retopology
You can do that in Zbrush too now, with Sculptris. Also, that has nothing to do with retopology, but you can retopo in Blender just fine.

Please stop posting. This is embarrasing.

>>672415
Your English is not even comprehensible here. I'm not sure you know what you're even trying to say. Judging by your lack of knowledge about compeltely basic tools, I'd say you ought to go watch some more tutorials before you try posting your opinions again.
There's nothing complicated about the things I posted.

>> No.672434

>>672417
>You don't have to do that in Zbrush anymore,
no thats how it should be, it doesnt make sense to do it any other way, it will make it harder if you dont model it in low poly first.

>You can dot hat in Zbrush too. There are many ways to begin sculpting. You're just continuing to reveal your absolutely horrid lack of basic knowledge.
i know you can lol im saying its what noobies do without knowing the basics of sculpting, which you dont need to do that.

>Blender has had the multires modifier for many years, you dumb fuck.
i know what it is lmao shut the fuck up about it. you wouldnt know shit about the workflow so im not evening going to elaborate on it.

> I'd say you ought to go watch some more tutorials before you try posting your opinions again.
There's nothing complicated about the things I posted.
thats what you need to do too since you have no idea what youre talking about.

>> No.672440
File: 993 KB, 250x250, 1536830466892.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672434
Dude, you might literally be mentally handicapped

>> No.672441

>>672440
>realizes hes wrong
you must be retarded!

>> No.672445
File: 312 KB, 369x369, 1518675192107.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

can you fucks actually produce anything instead of ranting about software?

>> No.672477
File: 436 KB, 200x150, 1486771071100.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672385
mfw i never paid a single dollar for a 3D package, and in 10+ years of professional work, not once was Blender even mentioned while I need to use Max and Maya on a daily basis. Outshine my ass, anon

>> No.672490

>>672411
>you cant select elements of an object in blender, it only gives you verts edges and faces for selections, no borders or elements. for instance a cup has 2 elements a handle and the cup itself you have to manually select that handle

not true. its called select linked and it can be done with 1 click also

>you cant detach elements of that object as clones so its destructive and you cant detach selected elements into elements easily in blender you would have to separate it and then join it when in max its a simple click again.

not true

>you also cant adjust triangulations in blender aka the edge you can flick back and fort on a quad

not sure what you mean but i think iv seen someone do that on video

>aligning shit in blender is like a fucking 10 step process when in max you can do it fast and easy with grid align or even a custom grid.

not true. i never had problems with aligning objects to grid or changing the grid itself. usually i just dispose of the grid in certain cases

>relaxing mesh is rigid/limited in blender, max has more control that goes for a lot of the operations with bevels,extrusiosn and chamfers.

lol what

>> No.672505

>>672406
>Literally just give me an example?
Edge slide with curvature following/interpolation. It's essential for subdivision modeling.

>> No.672516

>>672505
Wow, an actual argument.
I'll give you that one, although you can get the results you want with spline curve interpolation.
There's this free addon that solves the problem, though: https://blenderartists.org/t/it-is-finally-here-edge-flow-set-flow-for-blender-benjamin-saunder/1128115
I agree it should be in Blender by default.

>> No.672561

>>672516
>>672490
stop trying to continue the argument, you already lost.

>> No.672562
File: 49 KB, 1403x763, faggot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672561
u wot m8

You're the one autist who can't write properly, who yesterday spent hours proving he doesn't know even the most basic operations in any 3D software.
This post alone ought to make anyone feel embarrassed on your behalf:
>>672405

Look up "Dunning-Kruger"

>> No.672584

>>672562
no lmao youre trying to hard to justify blender and youre sweating lol

>> No.672586
File: 112 KB, 682x900, 1543455359889.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>672584
I'm not trying to "justify" Blender. To begin with I was just surprised that you claimed Blender "lack" features, and then you failed to point out a single feature Blender lacks, while claiming retarded shit like 3DS Max being best at sculpting, and that you should use sculpting brushes for editing hardsurface. Then you claimed that Zbrush is better than Blender because of the multires system, despite Blender also having that and having had that for many years. Then you said Zbrush didn't have a dynotopo system because "it's stupid", and that Blender is bad because it does have dynotopo, when all three claims are complete mongoloid.
Frankly, I've never talked to a more retarded person on this persian carpet weavery board. You have the dumbest, most uneducated opinions I've ever heard, and it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.
And you write like a faggot who didn't finish high school.

>> No.672622

>>672586
>and it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.
you cant read and you dont know how to 3d its that simple, try again in a few years when you actually go and model shit lol

>And you write like a faggot who didn't finish high school.
becvause i know it would piss you off lmao

>> No.672815

>>672385
>>672389
And this is precisely why people hate Blender users.

>> No.675205

well, i'm not an artist but been using 3dsx for fun since 2004 when i was 10. Some time ago I tried to learn Blender but I didnt like it. Now 3ds max give Student Version so Its fucking perfect. Attatch to the software you like. Dont be a sheep.

>> No.675209

>>672336
>Is it worth it?
>switching from industry standart software to hobbyist tier software
what do you think, is it worth it?

>> No.675216

>>672381
Blender hard surface modeling is god tier you mf candy ass

>> No.675220
File: 10 KB, 239x211, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>675216
>that pleb never used MODO or 3ds

>> No.675227

>>675220
That's the problem with blendlets. For some reason, they think they are justified in judging other software without having properly tried it, if at all. It really baffles me.

>> No.675264

>>672440
Just reading all the comments and you, sir, are the dumb fuck.

>> No.675265

>>672586
This is honestly embarrassing to read. I can smell the Cheeto fingers and virginity through the screen.

>> No.675266 [DELETED] 

>>672381

> Blender is bad for modeling, but okay at animating

How can you be this fucking delusional? Of the small amount of industry uptake of Blender, the ONLY time it is used is for modeling. Animation is perhaps the absolute heinous, worst and most flawed part of Blender. Even the bastard stepchild 3ds Max has better rigging and animation capabilities.

>> No.675268

>>672381

> Blender is bad for modeling, but okay at animating

How can you be this fucking delusional? Of the small amount of industry uptake of Blender, the ONLY time it is used is for modeling. Animation is worst, most heinously flawed part of Blender. Even the bastard stepchild 3ds Max has better rigging and animation capabilities.

Just a reminder that we're already 1/4 through 2019 and Blender 2.8 is still in beta.

>> No.675318

>Learning "nobody uses this, the software"