[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 1.78 MB, 400x211, when-i-walk-into-a-room-and-i-forget-what-im-there-for_o_625426.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
668020 No.668020 [Reply] [Original]

>>Just finished a tutorial
>>Saving
>>Same exact filename exists
>>Opens file
>>wew lad
>>I already watched that tutorial 4 months ago
>>Forghetti Spaghetti

I wish I could specialize in one godsdamn thing instead of learning all the things

>> No.668022
File: 29 KB, 300x460, 112322-110207.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>668020
>op

>> No.668026

>>668020
Get in my age group and you forget to put pants on in the morning.

>> No.668027

>>668020
You need to apply what you learned. Not just once either. Do it again and again and again until you know that you know it. Do it until you can't possibly forget it.
If you already do this, then I have some possibly bad news: you may have dementia.

>> No.668028

>>668020
have you tried not being stupid?

>> No.668032

>>668020
Tutorials tend to show you how to do a specific thing a specific way, it's kinda like attempting to learn math by memorizing the steps of formula.
A very poor way of teaching yourself things, you don't need to know how to do things, you need to learn why to do things.

When you understand something you won't forget it because the mechanics of it fits like a key in a lock and it'll make sense to you.
The more things you come to understand about a subject the more connections you make so that remembering how to do 'X' doesn't hinge at you remembering some recipe.
Rather you will be able to recreate the recipe on the fly from thinking about how it should taste because you've come to know cookery.

>> No.668038

>>668027
>>668020
>>668028

nope, you dont need to do this,
>>668028
this is pretty much your answer. im 22 and i know how to model,rig(do complex muscle simulations too),texture, and lighting as well as some other stuff.i learned all of that in just about 2 months and i come from a 2d background, which im already great at. and 2d took me about 4 years. im a self taught so i know techniques on how to make things stick, thanks to one of my highschool teachers.

>> No.668039

>>668038
one of those techniques is that, if youre really interested in learning something, you need to give yourself time to debrief the info you just learned, go back in steps and read it out loud to yourself to see if it makes sense. the other is to pretend youre teaching this to someone, but teaching it yourself instead, if you have trouble explaining this to yourself then it wont stick.

>> No.668042

>>668032
well this

>> No.668268

>>668038
Dunning Kruger in effect folks.

>>668020
OP you're not going to remember shit unless you actually use it and understand why you need to use it. The old addage "Practice makes perfect" isn't bullshit. You're not going to follow a tutorial and instantly know exactly what to do. You gotta go off on your own and try these things. Once you use it in practice a few times in different projects, it'll be second nature, and you "just know" what to do without thinking of it. It's like muscle memory.
Just do your own thing. I've found tutorials don't help for jack shit, it's better to go off on your own, and when you come to a problem that's when you consult google/tutorials/forums/the questions thread.
Eventually you'll reach a point where you can just make what's in your head without worrying about what steps you need to follow to replicate it. You'll just be on autopilot, like drawing or writing. That's when you're no longer tied down by technical aspects, and have full creative control of what you want to do.

>> No.668269

i just use folders

>> No.668280

>>668032
but how do you do that?
smashing around like a monkey hoping to creat a symphony?

>> No.668288

>>668020
Apply and keep on trying over and over again until it clicks. It's a testament to your dedication, really.

>> No.668293

>>668280
No, when you're first starting out your task is not to create a symphony. Your task is to learn the structure of the music and what part of the instruments make the notes happen.

If you wanna be very serious about actually learning this a good starting point is to read trough the manual of the software to gain a birds eye perspective of the landscape knowing what's there and what's it's used for.

It'll demystify your tool and give you a rich vocabulary of field-specific terms so that you can seek out additional information on any topic much more efficiently. Having a rough idea of what everything does goes a long way in setting you on a straight path rather than smashing around like a monkey.

It's called RTFM workflow and only ~ 1 in 20 people living this world understands and uses it's power.

>> No.668320

>>668293

manual is not something you read through like a book. thats a great way to forget everything.

it's something you learn how to reference properly, when needed.

OP:

if you literally dont remember doing the same tutorial 4 months ago, it's time to see a doc

>> No.668322

>>668320
>manual is not something you read through like a book.

Yeah I know, reading the instructions documented by the authors who created the software is fucking ludicrous behavior, nobody does that.
That would be like the equivalent of actually reading a book instead of watching the movie of it or just reading the synopsis by someone else who already read it for you.

>>668293
There's a reason 'only one in twenty' would do that while all the smart ones are saving time learning and doing/making
youtube tutorials teaching others what they have learned from other youtube videos.

Manual is for eurofags, we save time not reading text made of letters and head straight line automatic thru the learning curve.
Getting good takes so long you gotta be smart about how you waste your time not learning stupid shit you prob won't need to understand in the first place and focus on what they say in the video.

>> No.668327
File: 35 KB, 600x600, 1300044776986.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>668038
>model,rig(do complex muscle simulations too),texture, and lighting
>learned all of that in just about 2 months

Prove it. Show us some of your stuff, Mr. Dunning–Kruger

>> No.668332

>>668020
>managing to forget a project from just 4 months ago
based dementia poster
i bet OP's forgotten even posting this thread

>> No.668355

>>668332
Happens to me all the time. As long as the project gets done and the cash comes who gives af

>> No.668381

it's pretty funny on the first glance but actually sad
is there a good drug for memory or some training? anyone used something like this, does it help?

>> No.668383

>>668381
Methylphenidate, sold as Ritalin.

>> No.668432

>>668381
It's called Practicalin. What you do is take it, then do the same thing a few times and then you'll remember it.
Remember, "Practicalin makes perfect!".

>> No.670270

>>668293
"It's called RTFM workflow and only ~ 1 in 20 people living this world understands and uses it's power."

Tbh, this sounds like something from a pyramid scheme self help book.
Also, learning types exist. This system that works for you, possibly even exceptionally, has the potential of setting OP back a few months in a fit of confusion, If they are not compatible.

>> No.670388

>>668381
Try Mentats, anon

>> No.670393

>>670270
Yeah I know it sounds like something an elitist cunt might say, but that is because it is exactly what an actual elitist cunt would say.

When you state this to a happy amateur who dabble in this and wants to 'git gud' you can see the clueless look in their eyes as they go cross eyed into a 'whaaat?'.
When you state this to a seasoned practitioner they typically just make a wry smile and nod.

And sure learning types exist, but if you're not of a 'learning type' that can access written information by the age you
start contemplating strolling into technical arts chances are you're just not gonna make it very far.

>> No.670541

>>670393
So, you mean that almost all info is only available in that format?
This is actually a contradiction to earlier, where you(?) said that following tutorials is not a viable way of actually learning, therefor akknowledging their existence.
Keep in mind, I am only trying to figure out what you think abut this from the limited info you gave in that latest post.

I personally just start doing stuff I saw in videos, and whenever I hit a roadblock, I look up what I need to know, only relying on a tutorial completely when I want to do the exact thing done in the video and otherwise skipping to the parts I need to complete a given task.

>> No.670553

>>668327
I approve this message.

>> No.670554

>>668268
Imagine actually being so narcastic that instead of answering a question you instead write out a braggard's resume with 0 proof

>> No.670609

>>670554
Yeah well, he's only 22. That somehow makes him immune to criticism and also better than everyone.