[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 622 KB, 1417x1276, FEFD8E84-5B95-4DB0-80BB-C567B62B2C42.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
667710 No.667710 [Reply] [Original]

Since avoiding insane poly counts is vital for game modelling, what do you find easier - straight up polymodelling or sculpting something out and then performing retopology? What parts about one method make you prefer it over the other?

>> No.667714

>>667710
I work form well drawn concept art so i find it easier to just get it right the first time with the low polly modeling followed by sculpting just for the bake

>> No.667716

Depends.
Working off well-made concept art, you'd obviously polymodel since everything's been done for you and you're more or less just extrapolating to 3D.
Working off the top of your head, it'd be easier to create and shape forms through sculpting, making changes where you see fit in a very easy manner.
Of course, both still have their places in either's workflow: sculpting on the polymodel for additional bake detail otherwise impossible/incredibly difficult to do through polymodelling; retopologising sculpts using knowledge of polymodelling theory (topology).
At the end of the day, it can be a heavily preferential thing. Some people find it easier to sculpt everything, some people find it easier to polymodel everything. It's whatever creates the best product in the shortest amount of time that counts.

>> No.667756

general simplification but ive found:

Hard surface/props: Polymodelling is faster
Characters/organics: Sculpt&retopo

Another thing is very heavily stylized/simplified characters are also faster polymodelling if you are skilled enough and you don't have to retopo setup.

>> No.667806

>>667756
> Hard surface/props: Polymodelling is faster
wrong. barely anyone in the industry these days polymodels hard surface. it's all done in zbrush and substance. imho fastest workflow .

>> No.667807

>>667806
what kind of fruitcake sculpts a gun?

>> No.667808

>>667807
I'd probably be dumb enough to try that out given that I made this thread.

>> No.667820

>>667756
I agree with everything you said except for stylized characters. Unless, of course, our view on what counts as stylized is different.
Cartoony stuff like TF2 and Overwatch is still something I would sculpt. The only character models I box model are super low poly more akin to Old School RuneScape models.
Hard surfaces are 100% box modelling for me with the exclusion of sculpted detail for normal mapping. They are uniform and rigid so I prefer to have full control over every vertex from the get go.

>> No.667828

>>667807
me but it's usually gigeresque organic dick shaped guns in my case anyway..

>> No.667829

>>667710
Here's a tip to make avoiding insane polycounts easy: have a good art style instead of overdone cartoony messy shit like in OP.

You sword does not need a triple fuller channel, 8 spikes, curve like a sickle, and have 50 skulls on it. In fact, it would be much much better and less generic without them.

>> No.667890

>>667710
Nice urinal of death concept man

>> No.667893

>>667829
Not very effective. Breath of the Wild's models look great and the game still manages to run like hot garbage on all available systems, despite the environments looking terrible and a low draw distance to compensate for them.

>> No.667897

>>667890
I didn't make that. I just needed something for the OP image, preferably related to the topic.

>> No.668171

>>667893
None of that is due to an excessive amount of polygons on screen.

>> No.668180

>>667806
Are you the autist from the other thread desperately defending a sculpting workflow for hard surface?
>barely anyone in the industry these days polymodels hard surface
Couldn't be further from the truth.

>> No.668234

I model with sculpting and baking in mind. Usually my low poly doesn't need any extra work after high poly is done.