[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 9 KB, 420x420, 1502264986809.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
661679 No.661679 [Reply] [Original]

Maya pros. Help me. What is the difference from pressing SHIFT + W (Set keys for translate) VS just pressing S? I do not understand at all.

>> No.661681

>>661679
Read your keybinds see if it says it does something different. Are you retarded? Next time use the questions thread

>> No.661682

>>661679
question thread exists for a reason

>> No.661696
File: 92 KB, 638x1000, 1546812313320.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>661681
Useless answers. Please don't respond anymore.Kys too while your at it please. Thanks.

>> No.661697

>>661682
I was unaware. Next time I will. Can you guys help me figure out what this shit means? I was watching a tut and the animator said he uses SHIFT + W instead of S to key frames but he does not explain why.

>> No.661708

>>661679
Well since this thread already exists I'll answer.

Hitting S adds a keyframe to every keyable channel. Shift+W adds keyframes to translate channels only. (Shift+E/R to key rotate/scale respectively)

>> No.661709

>>661697
S default behaviour keys all keyable channels, while shift+W\E\R keys only their respective TRS channels... you could see this yourself if you just used it by the way, since it's just a shortcut for key-set key, while shift+WER being shortcuts for key-set key on translate\rotate\scale respectively .

S can be modified to key selectively whatever your manipulator is right now and a couple of other options but I strongly recommend that you leave it on defaults since it is a good practice for blocking poses if you select all controls and hit S on them, that way you will be absolutely adamant that this key on timeslider that nothing is unkeyed you when you start refining your poses, and unused channels can be just easily cleaned up afterwards.
I personally don't use shift+whatever, because autokey is much better if you use it consciously, hopefully this answers your question, next time use question thread.

>> No.661714
File: 36 KB, 400x396, 1543203196689.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>661708
>>661709

Reading everything you said was like reading Chinese.

>Hitting S adds a keyframe to every keyable channel

What are channels? Are these like equivalent to Layers in flash/photoshop?

What does TRS channels mean?

SO SHIFT+E = ROTATE SHIFT+R = SCALE?

What is a manipulator?

>it is a good practice for blocking poses if you select all controls and hit S on them, that way you will be absolutely adamant that this key on timeslider that nothing is unkeyed you when you start refining your poses

What is Blocking poses? What is Controls?

>AUTOKEY

AUTOKEY = S?

>> No.661725

>>661714
Channels are everything that is in the Channel Box. Translate X, Translate Y, Translate Z are three channels you'd find on a typical object.

TRS is translate rotate scale. Yes the order is weird, it's just meant so that qwer starts with the most used tool (select) and ends with the least used one (scale). When you're more experienced you can change your hotkeys up.

Autokey is a mode where Maya automatically sets new keyframes when you manipulate something that has already been keyframed.

You should find a better tutorial that explains this stuff because it's super basic and not worth people's time explaining when any decent beginner animation tutorial should cover it.

>> No.661761

>>661714
I think you should switch whatever tutorial you are following right now to a more fundamental one