Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 60 KB, 592x841, 2342342.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
660898 No.660898 [Reply] [Original]

Is it true that all I need to get a /3/ job is a good portfolio even without formal education? What about the "tfw no job" meme, are most people here just terrible artists or is the job market scarce and competitive?

>> No.660903

>>660898
If you can make content that is production grade it is very easy to prove and get hired since your portfolio is your actual work.
But what do you seriously think is easier - getting a formal education to be a white-collar worker or learn to create commercial grade art?

It's not so much that people are terrible artists as the effort you have to put in to be a competent artist goes well beyond what people are prepared for.

>> No.660904

>>660903
What does a production grade portfolio look like? I keep seeing profiles of hired artists on artstation who's work looks on par or worse than mine.

>It's not so much that people are terrible artists as the effort you have to put in to be a competent artist goes well beyond what people are prepared for.
elaborate, is the workload too much?

>> No.660908

>>660898
>Is it true that all I need to get a /3/ job is a good portfolio even without formal education?
Yes.
>What about the "tfw no job" meme, are most people here just terrible artists or is the job market scarce and competitive?
You have no idea how competitive it is.
Entry level jobs are easy to get, but they suck.
You don't want to
>retopo
>mocap cleaning
>rotoscoping greenscreens
>bring coffee to actual artists

Because at that point you're only good at making coffee and you will keep doing that

If you manage to get good at something for real, i.e.
>sculpting
>rigging
>animation
>texturing
>concept art

etc, then welcome to your new SLAVE LIFE! You'll be overworked to death by your employers, 12+ hours a day, say hello to burnout cause it'll happen

>> No.660911

>>660908
>>retopo
>>mocap cleaning
>>rotoscoping greenscreens
>>bring coffee to actual artists
sounds better than being neet or being on the brink of homelessness

here's two rough sculpts I posted in another thread
https://i.4cdn.org/3/1543182869777.jpg
https://i.4cdn.org/3/1543182931984.jpg
I can do better but I don't want to link my actual work an associate my profile with 4chan desu

>sculpting
>rigging
>animation
>texturing
>concept art
Do I need to do all of these? I thought employers tend to seek for artists specialized in one thing i.e. character artist, animator, hardsurface artist...

>welcome to your new SLAVE LIFE
name an alternative to wageslaving that isn't homelessness, I'll gladly take it!

>> No.660917

>>660911
>sounds better than being neet or being on the brink of homelessness
Making burgers at mcdonalds is, too, but at least whn you get home you might still want to look at your 3d software and do some art instead of hating them with the force of 1000 suns

>Do I need to do all of these?
Of course not, choose one field and git gud at it

>> No.660919

>>660917
>Making burgers at mcdonalds is, too
/3/ pays better than mcdonalds

>> No.660926

>>660911
Depends on the studio. But for a lot of those specializations you'd need multiple things. Knowing the workflow and pipeline is really important as it shows you know your stuff.
eg. a character artist would need to know how to sculpt, retopo, texture, maybe rig too depending on the studio. Concept art also is a bonus skill a lot of employers like to see.

>> No.660938

>>660908
tfw when in crunch for half a year

>> No.660967

>>660938
2077 is that you?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action