[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 9 KB, 225x225, 1542091828981.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
655634 No.655634 [Reply] [Original]

I can't take people who call themselves "3d modelers" but really only sculpt seriously. There's an art to making the polygons the right shape, in the right places, painting the textures to compliment the shapes. Sculptors might as well just work with irl clay and mocap it into a computer program.

>> No.655636

>>655634
Thank you for validating my neglect of teaching my self to sculpt and sticking with traditional polygonal modeling tools.

But in all seriousness they are both valuable skills. In the end, yes if your need to work with optimized assets your low polys are going to be better if you have more experience then just reretopologizing sculpts. By the same merit, on a piratical level, it much easier to get high quality high polys with sculpting.

>> No.655645

>>655636
*it much easier to get high polys with sculpting.
A good low poly model is light years better than a "high poly" model made by retopologizing sculpts. And all professional modelers for high poly projects must know how to make low poly look good before they know how to make high poly look good. A professionally made high poly model is NOT made with sculpting, but polygonal editing tools the same as a low poly model. There is a difference, and it shows. Sculpting is the 3D equivalent of balling and crumpling up a bunch of tissue paper together into a human form and calling it origami.

>> No.655649
File: 53 KB, 960x540, Making-of-Uncharted-4-Nathan-Drake-5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

But anon-kun, box modeling and moving vertex one by one is for retards. Are you a retard anon-kun?

>> No.655650

>>655649
>But anon-kun, box modeling and moving vertex one by one is for retards
wrong

>> No.655656

Agreed, but it's just fucking semantics. People imply and use retarded terminology a lot. (They) don't care for semantics. Get used it.

>> No.655661

>>655656
>(They) don't care for semantics
Why not?
Are semantics an autism thing?

>> No.655668

>>655661
>Why not?
I wouldn't know, it's just something I've observed. I'd chalk it up to people believing that others understand what they're saying and the implications that come with it. One might also say that 3D modeling and sculpting are the same thing on the surface level or on a technical level(manipulating geometry), so it doesn't exactly matter. Even that considered, 3D edge modeling, sculpting and the like are obviously different when compared to each other, since these are essentially unique workflows. Again, it all comes down to semantics, which as I've said earlier, are assumed by the conveyor to be understood by the listener.

>> No.655672

I can't take people who refuse to acknowledge existence and use cases for either box or sculpting seriously.
If you don't use every technique out there to achieve desired result, you are underperforming and deserve to be laughed at.

>> No.655726

>>655645
If you don't plan to use the sculpt for baking, then you might as well just model everything.

I know some people like to do design in sculpt, for that quick 3d look, but that's what designers are for, and most of them are going to draw everything.

>>655649
all that ugly micro detail

>> No.655789

>>655645
>Hurr Durr dude I don't have to retopo I have zremesher and lower subdiv levels lol stupid prof wants us to manually retopo!!!1
every autist in college, even the better ones.

>> No.655805

>>655789
If only it were confined to art school.

>> No.655807
File: 55 KB, 295x376, 1542867598275.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>655805

>> No.655808

show me a tutorial that goes over making detailed character models using just polymodeling techniques and isn't based on image planes.

>> No.655812

>>655808
It's a bit of a lost art, however interest seems to be increasing again. With all the hardware and software improvements along with open subdiv I am not surprised to see interest in subd character modeling picking up again. Even if it is slight.

>> No.655818

You still have to retopo the sculpts if you want to animate them, and that requires box modelling skills.

I wonder how many bigshot sculpters actually bother retopoing their models though... I think they just sculpt them baked into the intended pose, slap colors and maps on without unwrapping and then light it all nice. The result is a cool looking render for your portfolio you can legit say you did in a few days and then move on to other inspiring ideas.

If you go the full route of sculpting, retopoing, unwrapping, rigging and rendering a character, by the time you finish the thing it's been a good month and you're already sick and tired of the thing.

>> No.655821

>>655818
>I wonder how many bigshot sculpters actually bother retopoing their models though...
they have special people who do the cleaning

>> No.655824

>>655818
The more you do in Zbrush the more pain you cause for the rest of the pipeline. There is a reason you don't see the 'bigshot' sculpters taking their works through to animation. Few of them even do textures beyond polypaint. There is a reason for that.

>> No.655827

>>655824
Where i live these "bigshot" sculpters have a name. They are called ZBrush-cowboys and everybody looks down on them.
Because they can't do anything outside of ZBrush, their role in production is either minimal or they DON'T EVEN GET IN.
Because if you can't do retopo, unwrap, basic rigging, shading and rendering then you are basically only slightly above useless.

>> No.655846

>>655827
Thank you for this. I know someone who fits PERFECTLY. It's super annoying, all he would do is shill the software but has close to zero fundamentals.

>> No.655849

>I can't stand X thread
pure cancer

>> No.655852

>>655645
Okay I can see I forgot to emphasis something there, I was talking about high polys for the purpose of backing down to your carefully crafted not retopoed low polys. And I also clearly said that it was easier to achieve a certain level or detail with it, not that doing it by hand produced inferior results.

>> No.655964
File: 53 KB, 1280x1024, THIS IS A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>655818
>>655827
I'm an aspiring game dev so to me, doing the whole sculpt -> retopo -> unwrap -> rig seems only natural (and even then, the scope of my projects usually calls for a low poly mesh so I rarely get to sculpt anything). I hate how so many people look up to these clowns who just sculpt, mess around with materials and render a still image and then call it 3D modelling.

What use is what's essentially a digital statue? Or better yet, a PICTURE of a digital statue that's incompatible with game engines, animation and whatnot.

>> No.655966
File: 758 KB, 600x3252, workflow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>655808
some /3/ user made this. It's not a full character but the principle remains the same.

>> No.655972
File: 490 KB, 1600x900, Zflamenco.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>655964
They have the same value as any still image does. They can be great works of art in their own right. Pic related. However that is all they will ever be, a still image. My biggest problem with Zbrush is that it throws out all the elegance of 3d CGI and the promise of the medium to make it behave like artistic mediums of the past, complete with the limitations of those mediums.

>> No.656250

>>655634
Translation:
Butthurt because only needed to make simply clutter.

>> No.656266

>>655964
Ever heard of Sketchfab, retard?

>> No.656641

Hate thread?
I hate useless subdividing and spamming polygons everywhere.
>Same curvature with 4 times less polygons? Nah, lemme subdivide a bunch of times

>> No.656643

>>655966
>modifying a base mesh is somehow the equivalent to polymodelling without ortho references
ok