[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 441 KB, 1280x1024, headphones-women-cards-video-games-robots-coffee-people-shoes-books-cyberpunk-Pocky-graphics-tablets-posters-soft-shading-anime-girls-bazooka-Oekaki-Musume-digital-pad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
652088 No.652088 [Reply] [Original]

Too broke for school but is it possible? Thinking to just learn from Youtube, Skillshare or Udemy. What are the chances of getting a job? Or I should just definitely work my butt off until I collected enough to afford to go to an art school.

>> No.652091

if you learn from a tutor on youtube, skillSHARE, or udemy you arent self taught .

Having made tutorial videos myself you put a shitload of hours into making them for OTHER PPL

>> No.652098

>>652088
>is it possible?
Yep. I've seen people go from absolutely clueless to pretty damn proficient in a year, going off only youtube tutorials. That was with several hours every day just learning shit. It's all just based on your work ethic. Schools help to regulate that, so if you suck ass at managing your time and stopping procrastination, then a school's probably a good place for you.

>>652091
>if you learn from a tutor on youtube, skillSHARE, or udemy you arent self taught .
Nah, it still counts. Self-teaching just refers to seeking out information on your own initiative. You aren't being actively mentored by anyone, and you're learning simply because you want to. That's being self-taught.

>> No.652099

>>652098
>Nah, it still counts. Self-teaching just refers to seeking out information on your own initiative. You aren't being actively mentored by anyone, and you're learning simply because you want to. That's being self-taught.
thats not how it works. If you dont watch tutorials, you are self taught. If you pirate tutorials or watch tutorials you are taking someone elses work (usually a professional teacher) and using them to shape you. Everyone knows this. Everyone in the teaching world acknowledges this

>> No.652100

>>652099
Oh, looks like virtually no one fits the bill of being self-taught then. Good to know, Mr. CPU render thread.

>> No.652101

>>652100
>Oh, looks like virtually no one fits the bill of being self-taught then.

i never said that. To learn stuff I learn the basics through someone else then when i get to advanced stuff there are no tuts for that because of NDAs and stuff so you're forced to make up your own shit

>> No.652102

check out animationmentor

>> No.652111

>>652101
Someone who writes like this definitely knows what he's talking about. I'm going to listen to this person who definitely isn't currently on the Mt. Stupid stage.

>> No.652128

>>652091
>>652099
>>652101
That's like saying if you read a textbook on anatomy and you can tell someone all the bones in the human body you're not self taught. Lmaoing at your troll life.

>> No.652132

>>652088
what programs are you even using? And shitty Blunder doesn't count

>> No.652149

For the lecture portion of school yes, what you have outlined is more than sufficient. The hard part you will face is getting critique from competant and qualified artists. Some streamers offer crit portfolio review. That will probably be your best bet.

>> No.652194

>>652132
Why not you insecure little wimp?
fight me

>> No.652243

>>652194
because Blunder is amateur crap and not industry standard you retarded fuckhead

>> No.652256

>>652243
>le "industry standard" meme
Fuck you and fuck your "industry standard" bullshit, no one cares about what. Whatever gets the work done is what gets used in the end. And Blender CAN get the work done. You think Amazon, Netflix, etc would contract with Blender-centric companies if that weren't the case? Arrogant fuckwit.

>> No.652263

>>652256
baha the blendtards delusion about their shitty app is boundless.
Not one studio of name has Blunder in their pipeline with that autistic shit UI an no workflow . And we have used Softimage 3D and Houdini almost since version 1.0. No go back into you Blinder kindergarten and leave the pros alone

>> No.652270

>>652132
>>652194
People keep posting bait and you keep falling for it

>> No.652271

>>652243
If you ever actually worked a day in the industry youd know that no one gives shit what tools you use as long as it interfaces with their workflow

>> No.652272

>>652088
whatever you do, don't ask for advice here. ask advice from professionals who atleast back their opinions with their own names. youtube/gumroad/artstation/gnomon and the likes are good for getting hooked up with actual insight into the industry

>> No.652277

>>652256
Don't get dragged into this shit, it's a distraction. That said it wouldn't hurt being familiar enough with Maya to get your Blender stuff working in it as painless as possible. You can get a free Maya license by registering on autodesk's education site. Only note worthy limitation is no Linux.

>> No.652279

>>652277
>You can get a free Maya license by registering on autodesk's education site.
only if you have an educational email

>> No.652284

>>652279
Not needed. Done it myself.

>> No.652290

>>652284
prove it

>> No.652295

>>652290
You could just try it yourself.

>> No.652296
File: 77 KB, 500x593, pfffft.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>652279
All they ask is uni site address and never check it afterwards.
I just picked the closest uni to my location.
They never asked why the fuck a _forestry_ university student requires maya either.

>> No.652299

>>652296
Community colleges work too.

>> No.652325

>>652279
I used my own domain's email and told them I'm a self-taught student. It's been done months ago and my educational license, so far, hasn't been revoked.

>> No.652351

>>652277
No Linux for 3ds, but Maya does run on it.

>> No.652357

>>652351
Yeah but can you get the linux version of maya with an educational license?

>> No.652389

>>652357
I believe the license is per version, not OS. I can't confirm it now, just give it a try.

>> No.652401

>>652088
All you need to get hired is an impressive portfolio. If you have great content on artstation people hiring wont give two fucks about where you picked up your skills. If you are the kind of person who can seek out information and educate yourself effectively and focused on your own you don't need a university in this game, in fact it'll only get you into debt.

>> No.652412

>>652389
Only available for windows and osx. Looks that way for all student software.

>> No.652425
File: 42 KB, 843x406, firefox_2018-11-27_19-27-53.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>652412
That's weird. I see all of them available for my educational license.

>> No.652426

>>652425
alright need to look into this further. Thanks for confirming anon. It's very helpful

>> No.652429

>>652277
>You can get a free Maya license by registering on autodesk's education site.
But of course, you can't actually do anything with it besides educate yourself. Even moreso than other companies; autodesk wrote into the education license terms that they own everything made with it.

>> No.652433

>>652256
>Amazon, Netflix
People will just begin to call them Blendershills and hacks (which they are, but that's another matter altogether).

>> No.652435

>>652429
Autodesk can fuck off with that.

Just pirate the program if you want to learn it anons. Don't give Autodesk the time of day with their retarded practices.

>> No.652436

>>652429
yeah which is why I suggested to anon they just learn enough maya so that they can get their blender work looking good in it. The idea is to get enough maya knowledge to not be a drag on a pipeline. Look I HATE maya with a burning passion, but it is an un avoidable evil if you want to work in 3d entertainment fields. You have to know your way around it. I wish it weren't true, but it is.

>> No.652441

>>652436
>learn enough maya so that they can get their blender work looking good in it
But how can they bring assets from Blender into Maya, while preserving all the functionality?

>> No.652465

>>652441
That's kind of the idea. Learn what issues you face exporting caches and fbx's to maya. What changes do you have to make to your textures so they render well in Arnold etc. I don't use Blender so I don't know what those issues specifically are.

>> No.652517

>>652091
CPU, I don't think you get what the term means, i.e.- looking that shit up yourself and not being assigned it or told to do it by a physical presence.

By your logic, how-to books aren't "self-teaching" either.

>> No.652554

You need ability to understand what looks natural and what doesn't.
A lot of patience and obviously enjoyment from the process itself.
You don't need school, everything is available right there on your fingertits, on the internet.

>> No.652570
File: 198 KB, 369x148, 4dqJ.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>652554
>fingertits

>> No.652603
File: 61 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>652554
>fingertits

>> No.652612

> Industry Standard
Toonboom is the "industry standard" of 2d animation and it has been the main source of the most garbage tier animation thanks to its overrated bone rigging. Industry standards don't guarantee anything if you don't have skills in that matter. Look what another people has done with it and judge yourself if that's what you are looking for. Use what fits for your needs.

> Shitty comment about being self-taught
Being self-taught means that you are the one that should know what book / youtube channel / online guide you need to progress, it means being independent. That doesn't mean that you don't need some source to develop any skill, but you must acknowledge when your source stops helping you. For that you need at least an understanding of the most basic fundamentals of 3D (ie what makes a 3d model believable) .
If you are going to get stuck with only one youtube channel to improve about one subject, you are not understanding what self taughtness means. You have to have enough self-critique to identify when your learning curve starts to slowing down, thus you gotta seek for a new source. Don't stop you thinking if 'that' book looks interesting, go check it out, if it is shit, just drop it. Library genesis is full of good stuff.
The key of being a good self-taught student is having good self-critique IMO, you have to develop that too then. Ask another person for a critique if you feel short.

Also developing drawing skills and understanding drawing fundamentals should help you with 3d. I don't know any great 3d artist that doesn't know how to draw.

>> No.652613

You can literally do anythang with enough iq, patience, wisdom, and luck