[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 168 KB, 1080x569, IMG_20180920_075206.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
642704 No.642704 [Reply] [Original]

New to the world of 3D. Just downloaded Blender but I don't know how to start. What would you recommend I should do to learn how to use this program? Got any tips and tricks?

>> No.642705

>>642704
Get addons off github like hard-ops, box cutter, retopoflow, and watch youtubes for how and when to use them. Sculpt organic shit with dynamic topology. Learn the keybinds and how to use various modifiers.

>> No.642708

borncg on youtube

>> No.642720

>>642704
Unironically Blender Guru (Andrew Price). Don't buy his stuff though, just watch his donut video and his anvil series.
Once you complete those you'll have a good taste for the features of Blender, have produced something adequate and can feel good about working through a long tutorial series.
From there I recommend cgpersia or your favorite source of pirated shit. Or there are other long tutorial series videos.
I recommend long series videos because:
1) real projects take a long time, they don't take an hour or a day, they take days, weeks, months
2) there's a lot of short tutorials that are low effort garbage, long tutorials can also suck but they're more likely not to suck by virtue of inherently taking more effort
3) long series videos are going to have you repeat things you've already learned, but also show you that artist's way of doing something which will either show you something new or make you feel good that you learned a better way from a different video (even though you didn't realize it until now)

You might be tempted to show people your "work" after you finish a tutorial. If you do, you should really say "This is from a tutorial I did" or "this is from an andrew price tutorial", if you just pass it off as your own your brain will inherently know it's not yours (even if you think you don't care) and will make you not feel good about it, you'll get discouraged in the long run because you "still aren't making my own work".
You should absolutely keep some sort of repository of your renders and tutorial output so you have something you can look at a month from now or a year from now and feel good about your progress.

>>642708
His knowledge of the software is good, sort of, but his output is terrible. He's basically a worse Andrew Price

>> No.642723
File: 118 KB, 791x443, dontblendinstandout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>642704
1. remove Bender
2. install proper 3D Software
3. produce content of actual worth instead of meme donuts

>> No.642729

>>642723
autoshecks is overpriced bloatware. For less than 100 in addons, you can make a blender program comparable to 3dsMax, Mudbox, and Maya all in one package.

>> No.642732

>>642729
yeah and skyrim is a full game right anon
only need 50+ addons to be playable

JFC just buy max or maya you poorfags, no one in the industry complex even uses blender, resumes with it are usually chuckled at

>> No.642733

>>642732
based industryfag with a lot of knowledge about the current industry and how it functions

>> No.642735

>>642720
>just watch his donut video and his anvil series

comeone anon, both of these tutorials are shit. i can prove it right here and now.
with the donut video you basically learn how to put particles on a primitive object, the end result in this particular tutorial is awful. it doesn't matter if the donut looks good or not, as it does not look like one.

for the anvil? its the most basic bitch subd modeling with very poor texturing and sculpting mixed in.

do yourself a favor and stay away from these tutorials, even if they teach you a little of everything, the results are disappointing.

>> No.642744

>>642729

And without any plugins I get a complete package. No amount of plugins will make blender worth a damn in the industry. What you need is a plugin to free you from your delusion.

>> No.642745

>>642732
This is a straight up lie. Newcomers should really avoid /3/, lots of bad advice here. Go on Polycount or find some good Discord community where you will get a real help from people serious about this and not just some idiots who use this board to troll in spare time.

>> No.642748

>>642735
>Hurr durr those tutorials are shit don't follow them
>Doesn't propose an alternative or mention an actually good tutorial instead
What a worthless post.

>> No.642765

>>642704
Do Blender Guru's donut tutorial, then go on to his anvil one. They're amazing for the basics

>> No.642767

>>642723
I think its better for people starting out with 3d to use cheap/free software instead of putting their eggs in one basket. Because there could be the chance that 3d won't be their thing and they'll stick with other mediums of art etc

>> No.642771

>>642705
>hard-ops, box cutter
that looks like fun. precisely what i was looking for

also, anybody knows a good tutorial/workflow/plugin for very BASIC automotive design?

>> No.642781

>>642771
>>hard-ops, box cutter
>that looks like fun. precisely what i was looking for
They are plugins for blender. I'm too lazy to look them up, but chances are that they have downloads hosted on github. They will be zip files that can be installed using blenders automated plugin install feature (found in the addons section of its user preferences). There are some pachaged plugins that are useful as well; such as node wrangler and some of the architectural plugins. I haven't fiddles with all of them, but its not a bad idea to at least peruse them at some point.

>also, anybody knows a good tutorial/workflow/plugin for very BASIC automotive design?
Literal design or conceptualizing? Literal design would probably need to be done with a CAD program (they operate entirely different then 3d cg programs, but are able to spit out the information needed to actually build the real car). You'd probably be able to design a 3d concept for a car in blender with the above mentioned addons... maybe some more as well, though inanimate stuff is already pretty easy to model with "vanilla" blender.

>> No.642850

>>642748
He's wrong anyway, Andrew is a good teacher even if he's a mediocre artist. And even if the final output is "shit" (aka fails to either be sufficiently exaggerated in form as to be Stylized, or sufficiently authentic to the real world object as to be Photorealistic) at the very least it's something you can compare yourself against in the future.

There's a lot of other beginner tutorials on cgpersia: Lynda has a series, there's a bunch of Gumroad ones, CGCookie has beginner tutorials, pretty much anyone that has a series of tutorials (professionally) for Maya/Max/etc has ones for Blender too.

>> No.642851

>>642771
>tutorial/workflow/plugin for very BASIC automotive design?
Besides full on CAD (which probably isn't necessary unless you are LITERALLY fabricating components), Blender has a "precision mode" where you can set it to work with real world units (instead of Blender units, which it uses internally for easier math) and can give Precision inputs (you have to press some hotkey combination to enable it, I forget what it is).

>> No.642875

>>642748
im saying this based on my experience. iv watched maybe 3-4 andrew tutorials and in every one of them he wastes alot of time explaining concepts rather than being practical.

iv learned way more from other channels, most notably tutor4u, oliver villar and borncg. also in those channels they are not afraid of approaching hard subjects like texturing and shader creation which is something andrew avoids often

>> No.642903

General guidelines for me are
>Start simple. inanimate props and scenery are good.
>Block out first. The hardest bit is looking at that cube and wondering how you're going to make it something complex. Just extrude, copy and intersect meshes to get the shapes down, then you can use that as a guide for the proper model.
>Reference is not 'cheating'. Besides looking at photos and art of the subject, also look up wireframes of other models to see how they tackled the areas you're doing.

>> No.642904

>>642748

He's right. The donuts look like baby plastic toys. The anvil is okay though.

>> No.642943

>>642704
blender is a tool and what i will say may be sound stupid and obvous but you need something to do with it for example i started doing shitty models for my game in unity.