[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 41 KB, 600x600, morelli-human-heart-3d-model_D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
639132 No.639132 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone ever done work on medical shows or training for medical teams? I would like to know all about it and hone my skills directly at that focus. I'm talking about not just good accurate human anatomy, but future technologies, VR assets, training animations etc. Who does this kind of work and how can I learn more about it?

>> No.639766

Minor bump

>> No.639780

>>639132
learn Image Engineering or something dude.

>> No.639784

>>639132
I once did, working together with 2 guys who studied medicine.
I got kicked out fast because i accidentally injected to much artistic freedom into the work.
Working with doctors and medical facilities is a pain in the butt, since these people where pedantic beyond comprehension.
Also everything in this area was build on who you know and which (and how much) ass you kissed.
It was 10 years ago, but i assume it hasn't become better only worse.
Pay was great, stress was too high.
Good luck is all i can say.

>> No.639802

>>639784

>got kicked out fast because i accidentally injected to much artistic freedom into the work.

What did you do, put frills on the organs?

>> No.639832

>>639784
>take on a job that's entirely about replicating rather than creating
>in a field that HAS to be incredibly scrupulous because it can very easily be a matter of life or death
>thinking there's any creative liabilities in there
What a fool you are.

>>639132
A good starting point would probably be to find surgical simulations (genuine ones, not those obtuse flash ones), research who was contracted to do them, follow down the rabbit hole.

>> No.639842

>>639832
Good advice thank you

>> No.639856

>>639832
>life and death
Oh shut up you don't know shit. I was basically doing glorified marketing videos for doctors "selling" them on prosthesis and stuff like that.
Working with bad references means that i have fill in the blanks. Not entirely my fault, my boss fugged up too.
I was young and needed the money, I regret nothing, i earned good money and learned a lot about anatomy.

>> No.639871

>>639832
>green text
Explain medicine propaganda to me then.
Sciencefags: 0 Shitposters: 1

>> No.639903

>>639856
OP here I won't beg you but if you have any pointers for specializing in medical modeling and animation I'd be grateful.

>> No.639910

>>639903
I don't, i am sorry. Just start doing it, you'll become good when you spent time doing it.

>> No.640948

>>639784
not OP, i'm interested about the workflow. Did you sculpt organs and then retopologise or was it nurbs?

>> No.644078
File: 57 KB, 500x550, tspine_final_small.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you want to be a 3D medical illustrator, consider networking with people from AMI.org, maybe their conference. Most of the work I do with doctors now involves the pipeline for 3d scanning and segmenting models from MRI/CT scans. Replicating colors used by Netter and Machado since that's what the docs know. The doctors are more responsible for the "mistakes" because they need to identify atypical anatomy but they respect "real data". You can simplify from there if needed for clarity and that's easier than not meeting expectations for accuracy.

Artistic freedom can be had in the presentation, materials,and lighting but don't alter real life objects or medical devices unless justified.

Odds are you will be a on a very small team as a generalist. Work smart, non-destructive, modular, and procedural. Have presets you can back up with reference and get the doctors to justify their opinions when they want it changed, but be able to do it quickly if they really do. You can build this "library" on your own or their time. Increase your toolkit. Have ways to quickly make arteries,fat, nerves, muscles etc.

"This is a pretty standard titanium material, it might look like a different metal with those changes. You sure you want this?"
"Oh this is the material palette based on Netter's colors, I'm worried it might be confusing with if we change it"

Use their fear of their expertise being questioned or wrong. Most doctors are pedantic and have type A personalities, That's a double edged sword. Never fault them directly though.

My attitude is I am there for the completed work not as their underling. Their work is more important than personal issues and in that way we're equal. Give off the impression that it's not about you but the work being done well and "correct".

Finally, Learn Zbrush.

>> No.644081
File: 2.48 MB, 282x287, 1535742712633.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>forget to re-calculate some normals
>PEOPLE DIE

>> No.644115

>>644081
Nice.

>> No.644123

>>644078
You probably have a number of fully modeled skeletons with muscles and organs and everything
Barring HIPAA regulations, is there anything stopping you from attempting to simulate "physically accurate human motion" using muscle contractions as the primary source of deformation?

>> No.644304

>>644078
>segmenting models from MRI/CT scans
>3D generalist
>non-destructive, modular, and procedural
OP listen to this, it is a really good write up.

I do 3D reconstructions from segmented scans at a bio lab, and each opportunity opens more opportunities. Try to model some things on your own so you build a medical portfolio, visuals are key.

>> No.644513

https://www.slicer.org/

>3D Slicer is an open source software platform for medical image informatics, image processing, and three-dimensional visualization. Built over two decades through support from the National Institutes of Health and a worldwide developer community, Slicer brings free, powerful cross-platform processing tools to physicians, researchers, and the general public.

You can use this to make stl files from scans.