[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 9 KB, 782x543, StupidQuestions.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
633468 No.633468 [Reply] [Original]

Somewhat premature thread creation edition
Previous Thread: >>630666
What is this thread for?
Questions. Particularly ones that do not deserve their own threads.
Questions like "How do I do X in Y software?" or "What is the best way to do Z?"
If you have a question that deserves its own thread, make a new thread.
Questions like "What does /3/ think about this new developing technology?" might be good candidates for their own thread.

>> No.633502

>>633468
Why'd you make an early thread? You afraid someone else will steal your (You)s?

>> No.633556

>>633502
Wanted to update and clean up the OP a bit.
Who the fuck quotes the OP in a thread like this?
Here's YOUR (You).

>> No.633559

>>633502

lmao people being afraid of missing out on their precious karma on a site that doesnt give any

>> No.633571

>>633502
>>633556
Oh my god are we now going to pretend that simply having someone respond to your post is some sort of trophy that people posting here are somehow motivated by?
If that's true - that may be the downright saddest fucking thing I've ever heard.
But, what I think it is, is someone projecting their own sad internal machinations on other people, because they mistakenly believe other folks are as utterly hollow as they are.

>> No.633573
File: 1.46 MB, 3840x2160, Youbuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633571
You don't go off /3/ much, do you? That actually is a thing on the other boards.
Pic related that makes fun of it.

>> No.633574

>>633573
>>You don't go off /3/ much, do you?

No. That doesn't mean it isn't the lamest fucking bullshit in the universe. Which it is.

>> No.633575

>>633502
I'll have to agree with this. No reason to create one until we've hit bump, just post the good ol' "hey fuckface questions thread's this way".

>>633571
>he doesn't know about the four chan's (You) culture
lurk more fgt
And I wouldn't really call it a trophy, just mere validation. It's always nice to get a response.

>> No.633577

>>633575
>>And I wouldn't really call it a trophy, just mere validation. It's always nice to get a response.

Seriously... get a life dude.

Fuck, that is one of the most depressing things I've read on here.

>> No.633578

>>633577
>he likes it when people don't respond to questions he asks
Well, everyone has their own fetishes.

>> No.633604

>>633577
IKR.. I'm reading all this with open mouth..

>> No.633626

>>633604
And I'm reading it with unzipped pants... Seems like we are a match!

>> No.633738

All right guys, I have a quick question. I have the following text:

Ding ding

A Brem Brem

A ring ding ding ding ding
A Ring Ding Ding Dingdemgdemg
Ring ding
Baa-Baa

Ring ding ding ding ding
a Bram ba am baba weeeeeee

BREAK DOWN!

Ding ding

Br-Br-Break It

dum dum dumda dum dum dum dum dumda dum dum dum dum dum dumda dum dum

Brem daem

weeeeeeee

A ram da am da am da am da weeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Wh-Whats Going On?

ding ding

Bem De Dem

ding ding

da da

Ring ding
Baa-Baa

Ring ding ding ding ding
a Bram ba am baba..

ding ding

Br-Br-Break It

Brem daem

ding ding

Bem De Dem

So the question is, is there any program which would turn text like that into some kind of 3d model?

>> No.633740
File: 94 KB, 496x432, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honestly I have zero clue where to ask this, and I don't want to risk pissing off people with a thread of my own.

I can't model for shit, and my hardware is currently down for repairs anyway.

I hate to ask, but you guys are all extremely talented and know this area far better than I do— I'm working on a proposal and I require a lotus blossom for a particular reason, but I can't get a physical flower anywhere that I know of, and I didn't have any luck with people who carve artwork. My only option at this point I believe is to 3D-Print one or make one from paper.

If I wanted to commission someone to make me a 3D model of a lotus, would that cost money, or are there services to even do such a thing? In particular I'd need two varieties specified to a certain look, but either way I don't know where to go from here.

>> No.633749

Whats the best way to simulate sweat?

>> No.633764

>>633749
Slight bumps (for the droplets) and low roughness. Same as raindrops.

>> No.633766

>>633764
Would that be modeled in or exported as a normal map?

>> No.633770

>>633766
Depends on how close you'll get with the camera.
For good measure i would do both.
Spread some particles over the surface, and put it into the normal map.

>> No.633772

>>633468
HOW THE FUCK DO I MODEL CLOTHES OVER MY FUCKING BASE MESH.

NONE OF THE TUTORIALS I FIND ARE ANY FUCKING GOOD AND I CAN'T FUCKING DO IT.

>> No.633775
File: 28 KB, 119x125, Screenshot_2018-07-17 【MTG】ゆかりちゃんと吉田くんのMO実況 その3【スタンダード】 - Niconico Video.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is the Logitech c270 good enough for face tracking?

>> No.633776

>>633772
>model clothes over model
>doesn't have to be touching skin at all
>turn on vacuum tool so its skin tight
>copy and transfer over body weights to clothes

>> No.633791

>>633776
What software even has a vacuum tool?

>> No.633800
File: 599 KB, 681x891, e72a48ae3640f6c7393ca5571cb2dbbc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll try to make it short since this board is slow af. My question is regarding posing of characters.

SITUATION:
I'm a beginner and slowly putting my workflow together. Modeling/retopo/UV/baking/texturing etc. However I'm sort of unclear about certain aspects of posing my work.

QUESTION:
1) If I have a finished in-game model including all maps/textures etc. Can I still pose it in ZBrush? Or would you recommend a better program for that purpose? I haven't really looked into it yet, but so far I just posed my base models by masking and deforming with the 3D gizmo, which isn't really professional. Is there an easy way to create basic rigs or is there no way around weight painting/rigging?

2) I don't fully understand how certain parts can be omitted from movement. For example if you have a knight with shoulder plates, how do you keep the shoulder blades as a hard surface without deformation? Do you just weight-paint around the plate?

Or if you want to move the finders on a robot hand, how do you make it so only the separate sections of the finger move in a 90° angle, without deforming the fingers themselves?

Pic related to show the type of construction I mean. On an organic hand, the skin surrounding the joint would move, but on a robot hand, the two 'bones' would basically move without and deformation to the topology. How is that working in CG ?

Would greatly appreciate any input or links to tutorials. Thanks.

>> No.633809

>>633775
If you already have it, try and give it a try but I strongly suggest you get the newer Kinect and the necessary adapters cause it costs only slightly more and works better but you can do full body mocap with it too if you ever wanted to.

>> No.633811

>>633800
>If I have a finished in-game model including all maps/textures etc. Can I still pose it in ZBrush? Or would you recommend a better program for that purpose?

>Is there an easy way to create basic rigs or is there no way around weight painting/rigging?
pose is in maya/blender/c4d etc. it gives you more control.

>Is there an easy way to create basic rigs or is there no way around weight painting/rigging?
you can create the rig and then use automatic weights, its usually good for simple characters.

>how do you keep the shoulder blades as a hard surface without deformation?

this is where weight comes in. think of weight as a value of 0 to 1. 0 being the weakest, and 1 being the strongest. so id usually paint static objects as 1 because i want to them move, but not deform.

>Or if you want to move the finders on a robot hand, how do you make it so only the separate sections of the finger move in a 90° angle, without deforming the fingers themselves?
using constraints, you can constraint a certain mesh to an axis in a 90 degree angle. there are many types of constraints and its very useful.

>> No.633817
File: 56 KB, 800x800, armor_suit_1_1.jpgfd3bd8dc-afc9-4a87-8482-a098efe2f3abOriginal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633811
Thanks a lot for taking the time. I appreciate it.

>> No.633823

How can I make this curve shape?

>> No.633824
File: 84 KB, 312x382, 38237BB2-914E-4132-BDBD-D54EF694DD44.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633823
sorry. image attached

>> No.633834
File: 49 KB, 800x800, knight_armor_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_1096783_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633800
>>633811
Just a question in accordance to this: Let's say you want to animate this knight here >>633817
Obviously you want to avoid the geometry of the various armor plates colliding with each other. (shoulder pads with torso, stomach plates with each other etc.) So does that mean each armor plate that is potentially colliding has to be its own separate mesh? Because otherwise I image it would be difficult to rig them in such a way to work without causing strange clipping issues.

>> No.633839

>>633834
As a general rule, if it's separated in real life it should be separated in the model too. Of course for a model that's rendering in real time in a game you'll want to optimize a bit, if it's little bits that are separated it's probably better to just have those be a normal map on a larger piece. But the big pieces like the shoulder pads, upper arm, lower arm, etc, would be separate. Same with that robot hand you posted, each joint of the fingers would be separate.
The separate mesh parts can still all be in the same complete mesh though, you don't need to actually make each piece a fully separate object.

>> No.633844

>>633839
Thank you for your insight sensei.

I'm pretty okay in terms of UVing and maps, but I still have a lot to learn.
>The separate mesh parts can still all be in the same complete mesh though, you don't need to actually make each piece a fully separate object.
This may be a basic thing but currently I can't even imagine how I'd do that. I mean how to save those parts as a cohesive file/obj. I mean once I'm doing the retopo, how I would go about retopologizing those separate meshes without exploding them from the main body mesh. Like I said, I have a lot to learn and I don't want to clog the thread unnecessarily, so I'll look into that. Thanks again!

>> No.633846

>>633809
Looks complicated af and slightly more expensive if I wanna do it the legit way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0rWWT24TNE
Think I'll build up a following using a c270 and then use the funds gained from that to upgrade in the future.

>> No.633854

>maya 2018
my problem is that it keeps doing "side"
how do i turn off this ?
pls help
>feelssadman.jpg

>> No.633862

In Europe and have an 8 hour plane ride home. Any books on 3D modeling a novice (I made the donut in blender once)

Would like to mean organic but I know hard surface is simpler. 3d Max, Maya, or Blender all have my interest

(Have worked in Maya before I half modeled a gun before the tut I followed stopped )

>> No.633863
File: 12 KB, 301x259, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633854
forgot the pic
>pls help

>> No.633868

>>633863
open your move tool settings and reset it. Looks like the vert is only being moved along the edge.

>> No.633870

>>633868
wer can i find that???

>> No.633877
File: 7 KB, 275x183, F15ACTIVE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are these courses just memes? I want to get better at hard-surface and topology to make aircraft, but wanted to get /3/'s opinion/input on it first, especially if anyone here has experience with these courses. Is there a best or worst among these? Are there better alternatives?

>Linda
https://www.lynda.com/Blender-tutorials/Welcome/606041/671483-4.html

>CGCookie
https://cgcookie.com/course/introduction-to-hard-surface-modeling

>CGMasters
https://cgmasters.net/training-courses/hard-surface-modeling-in-blender/

To me, the CGMasters and Linda tutorial seem like the best ones. I would like to eventually be able to retopologize stuff for real time use, but that's kind of a secondary thing, since I'm not much of a game developer. Being able to 3D print my stuff is more important to me.

>> No.633946

How long should it usually take for someone to make a AAA standard character model?

I know this is going to vary by a lot but I just need ball park figures so I can set reasonable deadlines for myself.

>> No.634027

>>633946
faster than you're doing, better than you're doing.
you're doing good enough once you're hired and making the AAA characters

>> No.634030

>>633877
cgmasters are legit. they do highpoly shit like its cake

cgcookie are more structured, they will always go through every basic function in an advanced tutorial

>> No.634031

>>634030
also, linda is pretty shit but its the cheapest. get it if you are tight on money

>> No.634032

Does Maya ask if your a student?

What will they do if you cannot prove your a student?

Should I just download modo instead, but I need to be able to also do animation and put it in Unreal engine.

Asking for a friend?

Will pay for license when I'm no longer a neet

>> No.634077

Combining face-weighted normals with baked normals in the same project:

Is this an ok idea?
I'm just doing a little modular environment kit project right now, and want to keep the textures to a minimum so here's what I was thinking; please chime in with any thoughts.

Environment is combination of metalwork and brickwork/masonry.
For masonry modules, these will be sculpted and baked as usual. Low poly UVs for these modules will obviously be laid out properly.
For metalwork elements, however, this is what I'm thinking - have simple bevels on low-poly edges and use face-weighted normals to get smoothing. And for texturing (this is where I think I'm being dumb) on metalwork - all the elements will be unwrapped - BUT - all the UV islands for these parts are going to be overlapping on one small part of the 0,1 space with all the masonry elements, probably up in the corner. In this part of the texture, I will lay down a simple tileable metal texture.

So, put simply, both the masonry and metal parts share the same texture set - but the masonry gets the lion's share of the UV real estate because it's all gonna be uniquely painted/sculpted. The metalwork just gets pushed off to the edge and works off a generic tileable texture asset.

To be clear - the vast majority of the asset is the masonry - the metalwork is just trim pieces; edging, fixtures, bolts etc...

Will that work?

>> No.634078

>>634077
if its for rendering purposes and there is no realtime benefit to it. then bake everything using highres 4k textures.
for game purposes, do use weighted normals, but make sure to tile the textures differently if they are using the same texture map

>> No.634079

I'm new to Blender. What is the best free tutorial on it? I've seen some on YouTube but they weren't that good.

>> No.634080

>>634079
what you mean by "best free tutorial"? are you beginner or advanced?

>> No.634081

>>634078
>>if its for rendering purposes and there is no realtime benefit to it...

Obviously this is for a realtime project. Would've thought that was self-evident....

>>but make sure to tile the textures differently if they are using the same texture map

Don't know what you're getting at here.
As I said - there's gonna be one texture set for the entire environment - nothing is gonna tile/repeat. I'm just going to paste in a texture asset that would normally be used as a tileable in one small region of the texture set for the overlapping UVs of the metalwork to sit on top of.
Remember - within the one UV set there will be unique UVs over a cutom paint-job, alongside overlapping UVs (which are overlapping to save space for the custom stuff, obviously).

>> No.634082

>>634081
i can't give you advice because i don't know how big your landmass is.
generally speaking, have you played half life: lost coast? this is the kind of space you can work with in terms of size (before you lose performance). i would say you can still use a texture per object if you keep everything under 2k

>> No.634087

>>634077
The idea of mixing techniques - I don't see why not. You can blend the two techniques on a per-element level, for example, make furniture face-weighted, with smaller bits like cushions, handles, knobs and ornaments as normal-mapped meshes, or even just apply normals as decals.

As far as your metalwork goes, be careful of using FWN on bits and pieces that are particularly small, like bolts, because it can easily lead to zero-pixel triangles. Any time a triangle becomes one pixel or less on screen, the shader units have to render it several times, because the GPU clusters pixels in a 2x2 arrangement for processing shader fragments, so the same spot ends up getting processed multiple times by itself and by neighboring triangles. This technique is best used on big stuff that isn't reasonable to normal map efficiently (buildings, sci-fi structures, large vehicles), while smaller props and detail assets should be normal mapped, as that is easier for the engine to handle.

Unwrapping FWN models is pointless as you would want to apply tiling materials using projection mapping within the shader, to avoid having the engine break the mesh at UV seams. If you want to add "spot" detail, like labels, dirt, or additional normal mapping, it has to be either through floating geo (planes with textures), using the built-in decal functionality in your engine of choice or whatever other kind of projection method you can make use of. You never want to map the FWN geo itself.

>> No.634109

>>634087

Thanks for feedback so far.

>Unwrapping FWN models is pointless as you would want to apply tiling materials using projection mapping within the shader.

Ok I'm with you up to this point - but here I get confused... Let me try to break apart what I think you're saying and you correct me where necessary...

So... adding UV seams to the mesh is gonna cause the engine to pull the mesh apart on these seems - ok, I'm with you here. Why is this bad though? Will that process undo the FWN normals and cause them to look wrong?

>> apply tiling materials using projection mapping within the shader
I'm totally lost on this point - 'projection mapping within the shader' - no idea what this process entails, or how/where to use it.

If what you're saying is correct - this kinda means my whole idea is unworkable because the point of the exercise was to supply both the baked-normal meshes AND the FWN meshes with the same texture set and material. Please advise.

Again thanks for input so far - v. useful.

>> No.634159
File: 169 KB, 1920x392, umn8XCu.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>634109
1: No it won't, however one of the key ideas of FWN is to prevent the GPU from splitting your mesh into more fragments than needed. A split happens every time you have smoothing groups (split normals), or across UV seams, or across texture seams, or basically any time the engine thinks "uh oh, this needs to be processed as a separate fragment", it will cut that group of polys up, and double up the number of vertices along that line. This allows weighted models to have similar processing overhead as the same mesh with hard edges, despite the seemingly higher initial vertex count.

2: Since your object no longer has any specific mapping, it can't be textured until it's within your game engine. If you intend to show it off within Unreal 4, for instance, what you would do is import the model, create a new material for it, and use UE's own tools and node system to create the texture, using for instance triplanar mapping to lay on the base, and then use the decal system to apply normal maps for additional stuff. For all intents and purposes, your models won't have a texture until they're in the game.

This isn't very convenient in that you're essentially locked into the shading system of a single engine, and you would have to rebuild it if you wanted to transition to Unity or something else, but as long as you have your dev environment on lockdown, it' ends up faster overall, as you can quickly and easily propagate the materials already created within the engine to newly created objects, and never have to touch Painter to make changes. This is why the models of Star Citizen's spaceships have no textures on their Sketchfab page, the textures only exist within the shader they created for CryEngine/Lumberyard, and so you can only ever see them as intended running in-engine.

>> No.634182

I'm designing some letters to maybe create a font or something. I won't show the letters but every one of them is 180 pixels wide so the spacing between them will not be a problem. Well... except for the letter 'i'. How do I space it for it to make sense?

>> No.634280

What are some of the most helpful resources you guys have found when learning to texture?

I don't have much of a basis in 2d art, but I understand 3d very well - I find it much easier to create things in 3d than I do 2d. What I'm worried about is being unable to texture my sculpts etc.

I'm aware of Substance Designer on the purely procedural side of things, but I was thinking more toward 'traditional' texturing - I'm not sure how good a procedural skin texture would look on say, a character sculpt.

>> No.634286
File: 61 KB, 888x692, Screenshot (34).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What the fuck is wrong with the multicut tool in maya, it doesn't work on smooth mesh preview anymore. any anons know why?

>> No.634355
File: 87 KB, 1177x1109, yekaterina-bourykina-ybourykina-joe-mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633468
So after sculpting back muscles in one pose, and baking onto lower poly it may look anatomically accurate, but when you move arms up on down, back muscles are going to look off, because the muscles are just textures on a mesh and they are not going to move like human body. I understand I could repose sculpt's arms at different angles, and bake more maps, and then switch between them while animating (same as how faces have extra textures for more surprised expressions where you want wrinkles on forehead), but is it really something that people do for bodies?

Are there any other ways to deal with normal maps not matching anatomy in different poses?
not my sculpt by the way.

>> No.634421

>>633468
I see so many retopology tutorials of characters with their mouths closed. What about baking? Wouldn't that cause baking errors on where top and bottom lips touch each other? Or are you supposed to make mouth cavity afterwards?

>> No.634429

>>634286
It does work but its snapping to the actual vertex position , not the smoothed position you're seeing. There is no reason for you to be cutting faces in smooth preview.

>> No.634440
File: 74 KB, 651x548, butt-topo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How important is butt topology? I've seen a trillion ways of putting edge loops around different parts of the ass and some that don't do it at all and just use a simple quad grid.

>> No.634442
File: 25 KB, 994x528, aks for help.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm modelling this axe in 3ds max. Because of some poor decision I ended up with one side of it looking like the pic on the right.
Is there any way to fill the spaces between vertexes with polygons so it would look like the pic on the left?

>> No.634443
File: 13 KB, 490x504, aaha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>634442
In other words, is it possible to create a polygon between these four selected vertexes?

>> No.634444

>>634443
If it were Blender just press F to make a face

:^)

>> No.634445

>>634444
I'd happily just use blender, but 3ds max is what we use at my school, I didn't want to learn to model on something else
But that sounds like a helpful keyword, thanks!

>> No.634446

I want to become environment artist in games industry. How do I learn to create interesting environments(not plain props)?

>> No.634447

>>634445
The fact that I can't even google for a straight answer makes me think Max is probably hot garbage. Unironically just export to Blender and export it back into Max once it's fixed.

>> No.634448

>>634447
>>634445
>Polygon SubObject level, Create button (on the Edit Geometry rollout), click all the vertices, in sequence, starting and ending with the same one. 3D Snaps to Vertex (only) will help.

>It is possibly the new poly will be created with the Normal facing the wrong way - just Flip it (Edit Polygons rollout) if that happens.

>> No.634452

>>634447
I guess I'll just do this. Thanks anon~

>> No.634455

>>634440
It depends on how important butts are to you, you you are going to use jiggle physics, separate bones, or nothing, at what angles are you going to be able to see the model, is it for porn?

>> No.634456

>>634455
Butts are pretty important to me, and having it be noticeable is a nice quality. It's not porn, nor is it necessarily sexual, but just a prominent butt through say, tight pants is what I'm going for. I'm going for ambiguity on whether it's truly sexual or not depending on who you ask. Think Judy Hopps from Zootopia.

Model would be shown from all angles with the camera significantly above the eye line for a 3D game. They don't need jiggle physics, but may need separate bones to keep it from shrinking when the legs are animated, and to maintain its volume when a leg bends back.

I just don't know if I need a certain topology for this or if I can just get away with straight quads.

>> No.634461

>>634440
Unironically, look at DAZ Genesis's butt topology. It's more than capable.

>> No.634467

>>634456
To maintain shape, and volume you will definitely need morth/blend shapes.
As for the topology, you don't need to have edge flow following the muscles that much, but because you want the model to be shown from all angles including above, you need to maintain good contour of your ass.

I personally model butts just like breasts, but instead of smoothing on top of pectorals towards clavicle, I give them more waterdrop shape because of gluteus medius on top of the illiac crest under obliques. That gives me nice flat area for sacrum.
It depends how muscular you want to go, with how much detail in muscle groups, but things like PSIS can be just baked without any extra topology.

But hey, even low poly ass can look good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffCKw00kOEo

>> No.634469
File: 207 KB, 2160x3840, nek2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>634467
>To maintain shape, and volume you will definitely need *morph/blend shapes.
Respectfully disagree. Rigging ass bones to keep volume is a lot faster and leaves less room for error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iOMt5kpoHM

After seeing that inkling sample I'm inclined to just stick with flat quads + bone only. Pic is what I have so far.

Yes, I start modeling characters ass-first.

>> No.634471

>>634469
A bonus of using bones is that you can very instantly scale the buttcheeks directly and have it look natural

>> No.634478

>>634469
They are corrective, not for manual animation.

Is that view from underneath your "character" sitting? and why not sculpt?

>> No.634479

>>634478
"Character" was the wrong word. It was really just a test of bending over with the armature.

>why not sculpt?
It's pretty fucking gay.

>> No.634480

>>634469
>After seeing that inkling sample I'm inclined to just stick with flat quads + bone only. Pic is what I have so far.
I cannot blame you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmtAKMbcWKI nintendo knows what they were doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pMAluVsXQw

>> No.634483
File: 109 KB, 676x583, 1529398245408.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>634479
>>why not sculpt?
>It's pretty fucking gay.

>> No.634485

Are there any good tutorials\guidelines on pbr hairs? i.e. with diffuse I could just put accent on individual locks\strands directly on diffuse and stuff but albedo allows only colour information if I recall correctly. Should I use AO for this purpose?

>> No.634486

>>634485
What kind of accent are you looking for? Hue? Glossiness?

>> No.634488

>>634486
I've meant light\shadow desu

>> No.634489
File: 35 KB, 400x400, 7eea856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Quick question.
So apparently somebody who may or may not have bought an asset pack I made, uploaded their unity game on GitHub, and of course, the pack, along with other stuff from assets store is now available to download just like that in an unchanged form. Can I do something about it? SHOULD I do something about it? I don't think i mind if people pirate my shit, but not if it's just like that lying in the open.

>> No.634492
File: 1.10 MB, 3880x2150, 1510122839791.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

can 3ds max do this?
>>633738
consider blender

>> No.634495

>>634489
That depends on the license you gave it on the asset store. I don't know what the particular license is, but I could imagine it possibly allowing redistribution as long as it's only being used to build that specific game, as in anyone who would copy it from that game to make their own game would be infringing on your copyright. But it's more likely that it doesn't allow redistribution at all in source form, in which case you should raise a little hell. It's no different than when an open source project has a proprietary component to it. They can upload their source parts, but they can't redistribute the middleware.

>> No.634498

>>634488
Then I'd say it's a matter of lighting, or specific shading work, instead of touching the material values. If you don't want that, you have to depart from PBR... which of course you can. In that case, I'd touch specularity maps. Diffuse parts have about 4% spec, for individual strands it might work to up them a bit. It's not physically correct, but if it works, it works. Of course you need a Spec/Gloss workflow instead of the more common Metal/Rough for this.

>> No.634505
File: 394 KB, 2554x1455, 1505346816427.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633738
here you go, anon. i hope this helps.

>> No.634506

>>634498
oh thanks, I mean I don't have any quarrels about spec/gloss because I've never worked in PBR to begin with... just got this new substance painter toy to play with and it blew my mind(I used to do things in 2d by hand)

>> No.634523

I opened up a dynamesh sphere tool (resolution 32) in zbrush and increased the dynamesh resolution - but instead of being a nice smooth sphere, it's all faceted and polygonal, even though it has more geometry

How do I smooth out the sphere?

>> No.634541
File: 12 KB, 425x237, 1424410370451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What does it take to make $1000+/mo in Patreon-bucks these days?

The SFM market seems pretty saturated, and everybody is doing it.

>> No.634552

Good and complete source for Maya rigging, skinning and weight painting? Doesn't matter if free or paid, it just have to be the go-to resource to be a fully professional.
I learned a lot through this youtube tutorial but want to learn more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOokoFED7QE

>> No.634562

>>634541
You need to do porn. Like, extreme fucking porn.

>The SFM market seems pretty saturated, and everybody is doing it.
If you're any good at all you'll instantly stand out. Most people's SFM porn look like complete shit. You could also use Blender 2.8 when it comes out in October and render better looking stuff in Eevee, or use Maya or whatever else you want to and render in any other real-time renderer if raytracing takes too long for you.

>> No.634566

Quixel question.

I'm using Maya 2017 for modeling and trying to learn texturing with Quixel, but I'm having a hard time to import the .fbx to Quixel.

Is there any reliable tutorial to learn Quixel.

>> No.634592
File: 399 KB, 900x1001, deleuzelet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>634562
exactly what we need, more people slamming polys into each other, creating cringy 3D porn.

>> No.634605

>>634523
Open deformation tab and use polish

>> No.634610
File: 10 KB, 215x327, capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

in 3ds max when i input some number value is there a way to make it so that it doesn't matter whether im using coma or a dot between the numbers
for example 1,35 is accepted but 1.35 is not
i find it easier to use the numpad so having to switch over the other side of the keyboard just for the coma is very annoying
pic related for one of the menus im talking about

>> No.634678

>>634592
What we truly need is people not trying to make money in something as fruitless as 3D

>> No.634679

How much do hard edges/smoothing groups affect game engine performance?

I'm making a gun with picatinny rails and I have to use a lot of hard edges and UV cuts on said rails. Shading looks dogshit if I don't do that. I've learned from different tutorials that hard edges cost extra verticies when rendering in game engines.

So, should I be concerned about how many hard edges I use or it doesn't matter really? I'm using Maya btw if that makes any difference.

>> No.634681

>>634679
It's true that when your model is exported from Maya (or imported to the game) that it splits the mesh across vertices with different shading.

You shouldn't really be concerned about it unless it adds too many polys for your taste for your gun. It's literally no different than just having a higher poly count. In reality the most intensive computations in modern times are done in the fragment shader, not the vertex shader.

You could also make a low poly "base" shim that's just a simple rectangular prism that spans over all the gaps and bake normals from the high poly one onto it, or at least try to and see how it looks.

>> No.634683

>>634681
>having a higher *vertex count
Sorry, same poly count, higher vertex count.

>> No.634718
File: 70 KB, 400x388, 1518746208309.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any C4D fags here? Complete noob to everything 3D. I'm watching cineversity basic/beginner tutorials, is this the best way to learn? I've been also trying it out on my own, glancing through occasional youtube tutorials. So far I've only been toying with shapes and building basic models. Timid about materials, still trying to get a grip on splines, generators and animation stuff. How did the C4D pros start and learn, and how long did it take you to be independent from instructions?

>> No.634720

>>634718
Try Greyscalegorilla tuts.

>> No.634722
File: 14 KB, 398x309, no.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>634562
>extreme
What, like vore and bug-fucking?

I'm /d/egenerate as fuck but I straight up don't know who's satisfying what niches. I've seen some dog-fucking webms on /gif/, so there's obviously a market there.

>> No.634730

>>634720
After you've done the beginner tutorials should you just go on to any and every other video? Is there an intermediate stage or anything goes?

>> No.634753

Has anyone elevated from doing porn to being employed? What exactly did you put on your resume?

>> No.634796

>>634753
Why would you want that, if porn pays more?

>> No.634807

>>634605

didn't work

>> No.634809
File: 124 KB, 325x569, help.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How the hell do I create straight collar hems in Marvelous Designer? It's a tad difficult to explain, but it's basically straightening something like top of pic related out so I can easily apply a fabric texture to it and not have it act all curved. The sweater, notably its collar, is just a more exaggerated version of what I want to accomplish.

>> No.634844
File: 91 KB, 309x688, Pyke_OriginalSkin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Question for anyone who uses fusion 360. Just starting to play with it and I got stuck on a side project. Trying to model the hilt of pykes knife from league of legends. Here's the reference. How would I go about getting the details of the hilt on to the model? Just use a bunch of extrusions from all angles? Progress pic to follow.

>> No.634845
File: 164 KB, 1251x893, progress.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>634844
Current progress pic after using a 3 part loft.

>> No.634852

I honestly googled but couldn't find the answer
Currently learning substance designer and for some reason it doesn't update bitmaps when I paint on them while every tutorial out there does it and does it instantly. What am I missing?

>> No.634879

>>634845
>>634844
why in the world would you want to do that in fusion 360

>> No.634940

>>634879
Because it's a pretty easy program for 3d printing.

>> No.634946

>>633740
Creating models usable for 3d printing isn't quite the same task as creating them for 3d renders. You have to take structural stuff into account. Also, that 3d printing goop they use isn't cheap so most places don't like printing solid models, or you might not like the price they quote if you send them one that isn't designed for printing. In other words you can't just buy a flower model off turbosquid and sent it to the printer without it either falling apart or costing an arm and a leg. You could possible commission a correctly designed model, but that too would cost a lot since 3d printing is a fairly niche market right now. You'd honestly be better off buying a dozen flowers from a gardener in whatever country those flowers grow in and overnight mailing them to yourself with the hopes they don't all fall apart on the flight. I would be surprised if it was cheaper than a quality, custom 3d printable flower model.

>> No.634948

>>634879
Would blender or zbrush be easier? And can they make good models for printing?

>> No.634950

>>633834
Attach extra bones to the basic human rig for each plate and weight the plates accordingly. You can then mess with the bone's influences/parenting information and their rotation/transform locks to get the desired motion restrictions. At the end of the process you'd hide these bones on their own layer so only the original, base human rig is left.

For example; the wrist guards would be affected by the forearm bones trajectory, but not its twist. So you'd parent the wrist guard bone to the forearm bone, but lock the wrist guard bone's Z rotation. That way the forearm can twist inside the wrist guard, but if the elbow is bent the wrist guard moves with the forearm.

Both the forearm and the wrist guard bones would get their origin from the upper arm bone. It's a little hard to explain without explaining the entire process of rigging.

You'd also prevent clipping by clamping the base human rig's rotations within an acceptable range of motion. I wouldn't suggest separating the model and running collision physics if that it what you were thinking. You'd be waiting days for all the geometry to calculate collision just to get a 1second walk animation.

>> No.634952

I'm interested in getting into substance designer, but I need to know if something is possible.

Is there a way to take a substance designer material (let's say, a wall with massive chunks plaster chunks ripped out of it) and apply it to a mesh so that it becomes part of the geometry? Sort of like applying a gigantic alpha to a low poly mesh at a high resolution.

Many of the projects I work on are for older games where normal maps aren't really useful - what I want to do is take the texture, apply it to a low poly asset so that the geometry is altered, then retopo that asset so that when the texture is applied (with baked lighting) it won't look like a completely flat wall with a high poly texture, but will have some areas of depth modelled into the mesh itself.

tldr: can I use substance designer to increase model geometry rather than faking it with a normal map

>> No.634954

>>634952
Sort of, if you use blender you can adaptive subdivide and use true displacement. The current release build of blender only supports z axis displacement, but I believe they are implementing multi axis displacement in the next release. It looks like it is going to be some kind of weird normal map-esque texture, but I haven't looked into it a whole lot. I get the feeling it'll allow for some crazy procedural mesh generation though; like entire trees generated out of nothing, but noise and a flat plain.

From what I understand substance designer does true displacement as well, but I don't know a lot about that program.

>> No.634961

>>634954
Ah! This looks like exactly what I need, displacement mapping. Thanks for the help!

>> No.634963

>>634952
>can I use substance designer to increase model geometry rather than faking it with a normal map
Yes. Instead of baking a normal map, you bake a displacement map. Then you take that displacement map and apply it to a mesh of enough resolution, either offline (creating geometry you can directly edit) or at render time, if the renderer supports it (most, if not all, production renderers do).

>> No.635000

Is there a good workflow to upscale bitmap textures without loss? I know this is probably a pipe dream, but say, I have 1024 and I want 4096. If I use something like photoshop, it will have that nasty pixelation.
Also not completely related, but there's this interesting tool called xnormal, it has "fine detail image" setting and I have a hard time grasping the concept behind it. What type of images does it accept and how does it work?
I've tried piping diffuse into it, it did capture some fine details painted from diffuse but apparently compression artifacts too so resulting normal wasn't looking good enough. Anyone actually experimented with this? Should the fine detail have similar resolution with outputs?

>> No.635003

>>635000
>upscale bitmap textures without loss?
No. Not at all.

But some interpolation algorithms are better than others. Default is either nearest (literal pixels) or linear (squarish fuzzy pixels). It depends on your textures. If the texture is painted with many flat colors you could probably get away with using waifu2x.

But the better thing is to just get the texture in goddamn 4096 size. Upscaling is balls.

>> No.635008

>>635003
It's a game model I've ripped. Holy cow never thought this stuff would be so tedious, first I've had to basically rebuild the model from scratch because it was ripped with awful topo, then I realise all textures are 1024 and I'm thinking in the end I'll just repaint it...

>> No.635012

>>635008
There is no such thing as "awful topo." Muh all quads are a complete fucking meme. It only matters if you're subdividing it, and if you are, then fine I'll let it pass.

pls post model btw

>> No.635013

>>635008
1024 textures are pretty damn high for games. Most I've seen don't even go above 512.

>> No.635014

>>635000
>>635008
give this a shot:
https://letsenhance.io/

it's your best bet at an ez upscale. worst case scenario it gives you a better base to work on than traditional methods.

>> No.635017

>>634954
The "new" displacement has been in the 2.79 nightlies for quite a while. It's very cool. CGCookie did a video about it a couple of weeks ago where he displaced a 3d human ear from a plane.

>> No.635018
File: 216 KB, 859x682, a model.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635012
I'm keeping it all quad because I'm subdividing it to get highres for bake because normals went out 1k and this model is actually a hair and in the game it deformed quite well, and I want it to deform as smoothly as I can do
my wire is most probably trash btw but don't bash on me because this is actually first model I produced ever(consciously at least apart from that thomas the tank engine one when I was underage jailbait) and I DON't really know what the fug I'm doing haha trying to figure out things as I'm doing it.
>>635013
yeah but I'm sure I saw 2k in that game, probably missed something
>>635014
aright, thanks

>> No.635021

>>633870
W+left click. Choose the last option.
In the window that pops up hit "reset" on the top.
Then learn how to google.

>> No.635022

>>635018
>because this is actually first model I produced ever(consciously at least apart from that thomas the tank engine one when I was underage jailbait) and I DON't really know what the fug I'm doing haha trying to figure out things as I'm doing it.

hmmm

>> No.635026

>>635018
How high are you right now, young anon?

>> No.635027

>>635018
>when I was underage jailbait
London?

>> No.635028

>>635018
>first model ever
>thinks he knows what good topology is
I'm lmaoing this very moment.

>> No.635030

>>635028
At least I can hope its better than that n-gon and triangle mess that was before

>> No.635031

Which 3D software handles extremely high poly scenes the best?

I notice Maya handles them a little better than Blender

>> No.635032

>>635031
Then go with Maya, dipshit.

>not optimizing poly count to begin with

>> No.635033

>>635031
Houdini does it very well with packed primitives/packed fragments and Alembic caches. You can vary the level of detail (read, hidden, bounding box, full geometry...) per object as you need, and you can leave most of the geometry unloaded until it's required at rendertime.

>> No.635034

>>635031
Clarisse iFX is quite incredible for handling massive scenes of many billions of polygons, but it's a layout/lighting/rendering system, you can't actually create anything within it. From the creation side of things, ZBrush is also well known to be able to handle millions of polys with ease. Other programs can also be made to handle large datasets depending on how aggressively you manage scene data through caching and references, but not on the scale of those two. Having more RAM and a fast CPU never hurts either.

>> No.635040

>>635031
oh its another "i can hardly model a teapot, but i need a program that can handle billion polygons asap"

>> No.635105

>>635040
It's understandable, though. Once you go past two teapots, the bad performance of Blender's viewport quickly gets on your nerves.

>> No.635109
File: 54 KB, 465x725, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wanted to ask a question about triangulation, does it matter the direction of splits? let's say, this cylinder here, I've triangulated it and then manually edited some splits. Will it cause problems down the road and when? Should triangles form sort of spirals along the mesh or it doesn't matter? What if mesh deforms? Will it affect lighting? Normals?

>> No.635113
File: 14 KB, 912x209, 9dtWa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635109
Triangulation doesn't matter at all in situations like these. If you were to animate something like this tube to bend, it would've been on the quad version of the mesh, so triangulation would just adapt to whatever new shape the cylinder took on.
In just about all modern game engines, coplanar triangles are often batched together in processing so that it doesn't have to recompute the same vertices twice, when it can just add to the result of the previous one. In some cases you can help the engine along in this is by making sure your surfaces are capped with opposing triangles like on the right in the example pic, compared to the default pole-cap.

>> No.635114

>>635113
Thanks, this may look like a retarded question, but what if I actually needed this tube to bend?
Like, say, I skin it to several joints, it bends correctly looks correctly on quad version, but the game engine will accept only pre-triangulated version else it will triangulate it itself and this will break some quads in the process. And if I understand it correctly, once you triangulate it before feeding the model into engine, polygon splits are defined and set in stone. Will it matter in this situation?

>> No.635115

>>635109
Why destructively triangulate anyways? If you want that aesthetic, just set the cylinder to flat shading and give it a triangulate modifier. The modifier gives the option to align triangles the way you want.

>> No.635116

>>635115
I'm trying to figure out how to create models optimized for game engines, tutorials I'm following suggest to triangulate the model before export but never explain how the splits should be aligned or will it even matter soo

>> No.635118

>>635116
I really can't think of a reason why it would matter aside from slight optimizations. However, I'm pretty sure most modern game engines can handle an unoptimized cylinder with a with less than a hundred verts... Potentially even two of them.

>> No.635119

>>635118
Thanks, that's a relief, maybe all these tutorials omit this question because it really doesn't matter

>> No.635135
File: 7 KB, 214x101, aaaaa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Zbrush question. I'm following a tutorial and the teacher has this kind of brush alpha, a box with rounded corners.

1. What's the reason that it's called "BrushAlpha" instead of "Alpha [number]"?

2. How do I get the same alpha? Can I tweak some easy setting in Zbrush or do I have to build my own image in PS and import it somehow?

Tried searching for some tutorials but they mostly seem to be about copying a pattern or image and making an alpha out of it.

>> No.635142

>>635105
le blender stinks haha funny meem xD

>> No.635158
File: 1.99 MB, 1173x1200, 1487346567495.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the /3/ equivalent of programming socks? I want to improve my sculpting.

>> No.635166

>>635114
Typically you only want to triangulate models containing n-gons (polys with more than 4 sides) because the engine might freak out and screw things up, but if you have a model containing only quads and triangles, you can export it as-is, with no further edits.

Just to be clear on something: all 3D meshes are built up of triangles whether you like it or not, because the GPU is incapable of rendering anything else. Even when it seems like a polygon has more than 3 sides, it's still made up of randomly-generated tris that the editor is simply hiding from you. Most 3d editors even have a view mode that should let you see these hidden edges.
All that pre-triangulation does is set in stone the direction that you wish the triangles to point, which in 99.9% of cases is completely irrelevant to you, it's something the game engine can handle fine on its own, n-gons aside.

>> No.635169
File: 3.89 MB, 200x200, 1532723189697.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635142
>programming socks
Use MarvelousDesigner for cloth, but that might be overkill in this case.

>> No.635170

>>635169
will MD make me better at sculpting (and look cute)?

>> No.635197
File: 30 KB, 473x423, just seam my shit up senpai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how does one combat the dreaded uv seam issue
is there a way to just smudge it over in some painting application or something

>> No.635199

>>635197
set the islands apart from eachother
before you paint make sure your bleed/padding is 4px and above

>> No.635201

>>635199
oh shit ive' made 0 padding for mask and forgot to add it

>> No.635250
File: 353 KB, 2242x1055, How2Combine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey so I'm working on pic related, it's gonna be part of a prop for an environment scene. Currently the major parts are separate meshes as you can see from the scene explorer.

When it's done I'm going to combine it all into one mesh, but my question to you is: for the lowpoly, is it worth me actually welding it all together? Like, actually chopping into all the meshes and finding a neat way of getting all those separate elements to have their topology all flow together? Because I'll be honest - that sounds like a very unfun task. The only benefit I can think of right away is the more efficient UV real estate that will be made available by completely excising all unnecessary geo. Is there any other reason I should do it?

If not - I was just gonna go in and literally cut out any intersecting/internal geo, but leave it at that - not actually go as far as fusing the vertices together. Is that ok?
How would it be done in industry?
Cheers.

>> No.635251

>>635250
I tend to stick to the advice "If they physically come apart then they should be separate geo." So a pipe fitted into a seal should be left as two separate objects. There's no benefit to combining them.

>> No.635252
File: 143 KB, 1116x1069, How2Combine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635250
(with wires so you can better see the different meshes)

>> No.635253

>>635251
Cheers, i thought so.

Even if they were combined - the likelihood would be that the intersecting surfaces would be on different smoothing groups, which would mean the engine would pull them apart into separate fragments anyway - so it would end up being a false economy - right?

>> No.635254

>>635158
I had that keyboard for a while - until I realised that there was no fucking way of working with a giant monstrosity like that next to a tablet - I literally had to sit with both my arms held wide open, not able to rest my elbows on anything.

So - first tip if you're sculpting with a tablet - get a tiny little bluetooth keyboard that'll sit nicely next to your tablet.

>> No.635255
File: 1.95 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635254
>>635158
Pic related. My setup; large tablet requires small kb.

>> No.635256
File: 2.21 MB, 2448x3264, 1532455235173.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635255
Oh wow that is small. Would pic related be ok?

>> No.635258

>>635256
I regret participating in this conversation.

>> No.635265
File: 1.08 MB, 1210x680, 1502470406583.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635258
why's that, anon?

>> No.635270
File: 36 KB, 613x531, nope.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635256
>>635265

>> No.635271

>>635270
well how else is a girl(male) to get good at sculpting, bigot?

>> No.635273

>>635271
Sucking my dick would be a good start. I can teach you more advanced techniques as things progress.

>> No.635276

>>635273
Why would you want an autistic chap dressed as a girl to fellate you?

>> No.635277

>>635273
Sounds great, senpai! When do we start?
>>635276
Rude.

>> No.635279

>>635276
Bruh, you'd say no to a blowjob?

What are you, gay?

>> No.635286

Is renderman for Maya a GPU or CPU renderer?

>> No.635288

>>635279
>>Bruh, you'd say no to a blowjob?
You *asked* for a blowjob for a dude. It's not the case that one was offered for you to either accept or decline - you actively sought it out.

>>What are you, gay?
No. You might be though.

>> No.635289

>>635288
Yeah and it's free.

I don't see the problem, seems like a good deal

>> No.635292
File: 339 KB, 808x1077, 1503494721848.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

is anyone else here using linux and has a graphics tablet? could you run two simple commands for me so that i can try to make my tablet behave?
the commands are:
xinput list
this lists all your input devices. from there, you just need the id number of your tablet's pointer / pen device from the second column. then run
xinput test ID
then tap your stylus on the tablet (once is fine - i just need to see how it reports pressure), press CTRL+C and then copy and paste the output onto pastebin and link it here.
thanks anons, i know i can count on you.

>> No.635293

>>635286
CPU. GPU support for look dev is expected in 2019 (nicknamed RenderMan XPU).

>> No.635295

>>635292
It's almost as if you need a driver. One that the manufacture provides under the other operating systems. The better operating systems. Fuck linux

>> No.635297

>>635295
better operating systems don't need you to install some dodgy chinkware - support for a huge number of devices (including my shitty offbrand tablet) is built right into the kernel.
my problem is that, although pressure sensitivity works fine in krita, blender doesn't like it. if i make it appear as a wacom then blender won't know the difference and it should just work.
i appreciate your valuable input though and hope you wake up in a better mood tomorrow.

>> No.635300

>>635295
krita brush engine for instance works better on linux for some reason even if its vm'd, when I was more into 2d I kept one small mint distro with seamless active all the time specifically for it.
and wacom hooks up automatically, at least my intuos did so on mint.
non-wacom tablets do not matter.

>> No.635302

>>635300
i don't suppose you've still got that vm have you? pretty please.

>> No.635303

>>635295
>The better operating systems
In the 3DCG industry, that's Linux.

>> No.635305

>>635302
just switch to Ubuntu. You wont regret it.

>> No.635306

>>635305
install gentoo

>> No.635307
File: 184 KB, 1637x918, mpc-hc_2018-07-29_15-21-23.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, every rigging course tells you should create a proxy, slicing the model with the rigs. The instructor is saying that it's in order to see how the mesh will deform.
But I can't see the point in doing this, why not just go straight to the result? You slice this thing only to throw it away anyway and skinning is just a click away.

>> No.635308
File: 108 KB, 433x419, 1490484243569.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635297
>complaining about garbageware
>uses blender

>> No.635309

>>635306
Already tried building up an Ubuntu core. I have no desire to deal with all the inevitable fuck up when piecing together your own OS. Not for a second time, at least.

>> No.635311

>>635305
I can certainly try a different distro but everything works as expected in X and in other applications. It seems to be Blender-specific but I think it would be much easier to just emulate a Wacom than try and understand this: https://git.blender.org/gitweb/gitweb.cgi/blender.git/blob/HEAD:/intern/ghost/intern/GHOST_SystemX11.cpp
>>635306
>>635308
GOOD MEME

>> No.635313

>>635311
>GOOD MEME
It's amazing how easily the blendlets get triggered. They are second only to feminists.

>> No.635314

>>635313
its amazing how much time you invest to trigger people on samoan flute carving forum

>> No.635318

>>635313
BAD MEME?

>> No.635321

>>635265
I sure hope that's a 3d render

>> No.635322
File: 11 KB, 472x453, contenedor-[Convertido].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633468
A stupid question of someone who doesnt know a shit about 3d.
is there an app to convert this fckin image into a 3d model? i just mean that i want the container of the image to be a 3d model. i don't know how to explain better, but think it just like when illustrator applies an effect of 3d. its just taking the element and giving it a z dimension.

>> No.635324

>>635307
Because you can't animate the goddamn character at render resolution and expect Maya to run smoothly, but the lookdev and tech anim team can't work with a sliced up low res model. Also facial rig alone is as heavy as the body rig, you can't have both loaded at the same time and expect to be able to use them.
But that's for the big budget stuff. Most people who are only interested in seeing 3d tits bouncing around don't need all of that.

>> No.635326

>>635322
post full size image

>> No.635328 [DELETED] 
File: 62 KB, 828x416, contenedortextura.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635326

>> No.635329
File: 54 KB, 828x416, contenedortextura.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635326
Is for a serie of augmented reality tarot cards

>> No.635334

>>635197
>dreaded uv seam issue
>le uvs are hard meme
literally the easiest step in the pipeline

>> No.635337

>>635324
What render resolution? I mean, can't you test the rig on the low poly model?

>> No.635340

>>635334
teach me senpai

>> No.635343

>>635337
Not the pixels, the geometry's resolution. Polygons.
Animators need a fast rig, lookdev and tech anim need the full res shit.
But as I said, the average Joe doesn't work with terribly heavy geometry/rigs. Characters with different LODs are a thing only in big budget vfx.

>> No.635348

>>635340
You see, you cut up your model in a way where it lays flat with as little stretching as possible. Worrying about seams are a complete meme because you're just going to paint over them anyway and the discontinuities won't even be visible.

>> No.635350

>>635302
all right
https://pastebin.com/vrcYiXDS
hope it helps

>> No.635351

May be a bit of a stupid question. Let's say you're using free non-commercial software. You make some art with it, you post it on whatever site of your choice. You're not directly profiting off it, but you have a patreon/donation system set up for the more generous folks in your audience. Is that considered commercialising? Or is that more of a grey area/loophole? Since it's not guaranteed that you'd make any money off that specific piece.

>> No.635353
File: 574 KB, 1116x806, Araxxi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where do I go to hire a ZBrush sculptor

My hobby is 3D printing and I can manage most models but I really want to print something from a game that doesn't have widely available 3D models and this model would have to be higher resolution than I can handle myself

inb4 that is a shitty spindly model to 3D print, I would be making some kind of metal armature for it

>> No.635356

>>635353
Do you have the thousands of dollars to even print something with high enough detail to justify sculpting?

>> No.635357
File: 322 KB, 900x675, Formlabs_Form2_Closed_Egg_1400x.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635356
Yes, my dude.

>> No.635358
File: 70 KB, 1198x887, asdf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How into color id maps? Baked mine in substance painter but it gives me shit like pic related. I even bumped up resolution to 4k/8k and nothing.

>> No.635359

>>635351
Depends on the EULA. With RenderMan or Houdini, for example, you can.

In general, if it's a non-commercial edition, and there is no clear indication that it can have uses leading to indirect income, don't do it.

>> No.635360

>>635351
The renderer matters more than the actual modeling software.

Source: my ass

>> No.635364
File: 17 KB, 228x300, wowhuman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633468
Hello!
I created some low-poly buildings and objects in Blender.

Now I want to get in texturing and low-poly human modelling.

Where should I start?

>> No.635373
File: 324 KB, 1280x720, money please.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635329
>>635322
I did it

>> No.635380

>>635364
You like WoW? Try and emulate the old character models or something as practice

>> No.635385

>>635343
Well, I was talking about polygons too. But now it's starting to make a bit more sense since you talked about LOD.
Can I just gloss over this for now then?

>> No.635391
File: 5 KB, 177x123, 1520292438249.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633468
Here is my babby question:

I want to put clothes on an ugly model I made to go into VRchat for an avatar.

I have never made clothes over a model before: would dragging clothes off another model and pasting them on mine work?

>> No.635392

>>635348
what if my model has no flat areas at all

>> No.635396

>>635391
it would work if they had the exact same body shape and size

>> No.635408

>>635350
Thanks, anon. This helps a lot!

>> No.635409
File: 13 KB, 250x250, AFQ9rKr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any way to make the gizmo in 3DS Max not pixel perfect sensitive? Like Maya and Blender. This shit slows down my workflow.

>> No.635416
File: 275 KB, 1024x1024, model_04_uv_map.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635392
You can still minimize stretching easily, cunt. Go look up UV maps for every organic thing ever.

If you're so goddamn adamant then post your shitty model here.

>> No.635420

>>633468
How i can sculpt an anime face in blender, i started with a subdivided sphere and then use the grab tool to create the chin, but how can i sculpt the nose?
For example if i use the sculpt brush with dynotopo the nose is too wide and with the grab happens the same thing

>> No.635421

>>635420
Change the brushes influence curve?

>> No.635423

>>635421
ok, i'll try that, i used to decrease the size of the strength, but never touched the influence curve
Also if you know of a good tutorial who isn't a timelapse to model an anime face will be awesome

>> No.635426

>>635409
god, /3 is so full of dumbshits

>> No.635427

>>635423
If you have to ask than I'd suggest starting with a teacup. You aren't going to be able to create an appealing aesthetic without understanding the basics. Starting with cartoons is like trying to do stunt racing before learning how to parallel park.

>> No.635442

>>635427
i used to model the traditional way, extruding faces, but modeling faces i think is better to use sculpting tools because it's an organic thing.
I'm gonna start understanding the tools with simple shapes then.

I have another question somewhat related, i see a lot of timelapse videos that didn't use references images in the viewport as a background when they are sculpting (for example the t-pose in front and right view)
So is better if you don't use references in the viewport like the traditional way?

>> No.635458

>>635442
>So is better if you don't use references in the viewport like the traditional way?
Preference, skill level, and what you intend to do with the model. Tposes, etc., are just standard rigging poses. You don't need to sculpt a character, rig ,and then pose it if it's a one off 3d print or still render.

>> No.635470

>>635442
If you git gud at knowing your proportions then you don't need an almost-traceable reference. Those same people usually do have loose references on a second monitor though.

>> No.635473 [DELETED] 

>>633468
>>>/pol/180582140

>> No.635600

How can I model, rig and animate low poly hair? Like the stuff from wow where the hair is kind of a mesh instead of planes and it just moves great (with some clipping with gear here and there but whatever) any tutorial or tip would be very appreciated

>> No.635603

>>635600
I've had some decent success with bezier curve hair modeling for polygon hair. There are tutorials for it on youtube. You'd just want to set all the curves to have very low "resolution" (ie segmentation).

For the movement, you could modifier bind the polygon hair to a lower poly mesh (or lattice) after mounting the lowpoly/lattice object to the characters head. Doing this eases the overhead of physics computation since it reduces the number of verts immensely. If your polygon hair is low poly enough you might just be able to run softbody physics directly on it.

Binding works kind of like an armature, but its an exoskeleton instead of a normal skeleton. Just be careful that you don't try to "move a vert twice." If you bind a vert and also deform it with an armature you'll get undesirable results. It is best to move the lattice object with the armature and then use the bind to move the hair (or whatever object you have bound).

>> No.635608

How do I add individual strands of hair in Blender when using interpolated?
I can do it when using simple generation method, but interpolated assigns the new strand to the whole surface area. I want to fill some balder spots, without increasing the amount of strands too much.

>> No.635612

>>635608
You can place individual strands in particle edit mode, I believe. There is a add brush or setting, or something. However, that strand will get the same number of children as the rest of the hair.

>> No.635613

>>635612
That only works in simple children mode otherwise the strand will be randomly assigned to the whole surface instead of the exact spot I want.
I managed to do my task with simple mode, but I find interpolated more versatile, not the least due to the children seed randomization after doing particle editing.

>> No.635614

>>635613
Did you try assigning the hair areas to a vertex group and then assigning that to particle density?

>> No.635617

>>635614
Yeah, I had a vertex group and did some weight editing to control density.
Sometimes I just want to add a few finishing touches so there is more symmetry while staying within vert/face limits.

>> No.635634

Noob here, there seems to be many different modeling techniques out there such as sculpting/spline/box and edge modeling. Should I pick one and stick to it or do they each have their own specific use?

>> No.635636

>>635634
It depends. Do you want to suck at a lot of things, or do you want to suck at just one thing? Because that's how it'll go for the next couple years regardless of your decision.

>> No.635639

>>635634
It's completely fucking arbitrary, really. You might prefer to use one over another depending on what you're doing.

Steer clear of the sculptfags. Nothing wrong with sculpting, but sculptfags are the fucking worst.

>> No.635640

>>635636
op here. i'd really love to suck your thing desu~

>> No.635647

>>635640
What about mine? Don't be mean!

>> No.635677
File: 40 KB, 657x527, 1518371065783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

CINEMA 4D, how do I keep the Voronoi Fracture on the object itself as it moves?

I applied a motor to the object I want to spin (rotation) as it collides and explodes into another moving object (which remains whole). I can't see how to apply the spin/motor to the V Fracture, ehlp

>> No.635692

Have a question about substance painter if anyone uses it here
Is there a way to copy brush strokes I've made in, say, height channel to roughness\metallic channel? Right now I have to export height map and plug it into fill layers for their respective channels but I thought maybe there's easier way to do the same thing?

>> No.635762
File: 126 KB, 807x553, Clip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ok /3/, I dont know how to do this in zbrush

>I have one big mesh, all subtools are merged together.
>I want to add detail only to certain parts of the model. For example, the mouth and nose area.
>If I create a polygroup inside this area and add subdivision levels then I get this distorted topology surrounding the polygroup. Which is really bad when smoothing and polishing.

How can I do this? Which is the correct workflow for adding detail to certain areas without having to increase the resolution to the whole mesh?

>> No.635779

hey what's up with 8-chan they only have an art section not even a 3d thread and they are slower than here?

>> No.635788

>>635779
why wouldn't they be slower than here?

>> No.635790

>>635779
I hear that leddit has a wonderful 3d community :^)

>> No.635823

>>633468
Whats going on in this video? Low frame rate with video stabilization in post? The second and third video in the compilation are the ones I am most interested in replicating. The aesthetic kind of degrades after that so I save you the time and tell you to stop watching once she stops wearing the red dress.

https://youtu.be/xBopR-ppfTA

>> No.635824

>>635823
wtf is this? why does it even exist? why people do this shit? why do other people watch it? can a big asteroid please hit us already.

>> No.635826

>>635824
I have no clue, but the two clips I mentioned have a kind of cartoon flow I want to replicate. It is also essentially a series of poses which I assume is easier to animate than natural fluid movements.

>> No.635830

>>635823
My guess is that they were acted in sync with slowed-down music, then sped up and cut/polished to create the jerky/kinda robotic feel.

>> No.635832
File: 18 KB, 800x450, confused.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633468
I heard a friend talking about physical rendering and I'm confused. WHAT are alberto and shyness maps??? I know pump and normie maps but not these. Also what is the best app to make FPS games? Do I still need to learn programming?

>> No.635856

>>635832
>physical rendering
Slower than raycasting, but a lot more accurate. If you are using blender on windows it comes with an alternate rendering engine that does "physical rendering" (I'm using a linux so I can't check it without searching google; you can find it in the addons tab of your blender preferences).
>albedo
Its like diffuse, but without any shading information (ie it is only colours). They look practically the same, but the albedo texture is flatter (if that makes sense).
>shyness
Don't know this one, sorry.
>Also what is the best app to make FPS games?
Unity? I'm sure there is better, but you really can't beat that price. Especially, since you probably wont be making any money off your games for a very long time.
>Do I still need to learn programming?
If you don't want to learn programming, or at least scripting, than you should rethink your desire to get into video game design.

>>635830
Hmm, Doesn't that cause interpolated frames, or something like that? Maybe that's part of why it looks a little uncanny. I'll probably go ask this again on /p/ since it is actual video.

>> No.635860
File: 1.03 MB, 470x256, TZnFzc8.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How are realistic eyes that can deform normally made?

>> No.635862

>>635860
Two meshes; one for the sclera and iris, and one for the glassy outer layer. A shapekey is used to deform the iris. You can then either use a zeroed emissions shader to colour the hole true black, or actually line the interior of the eye with a mesh and colour it blood red (actually modeling the inside of the eye is probably overkill though).

>> No.635868

So I have a model that I want to turn into an articulated figure, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly sculpt and segment my mesh for 3D printing. I really don't know how joints and their placement work. Are there any good resources that could help?

Also, is a CAD software good for working out the articulation? I think it does, but I can never find any info about it online.

>> No.635869

>>635856
>Doesn't that cause interpolated frames
yeah, but its not slowed down enough that you'd notice anything.

>> No.635884
File: 780 KB, 1920x1080, HELP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Checking the archive for help with this, complete noob here.

When I render this scene in Maya the background gradient has horrible banding. I don't see this banding in the perspective view. I assume this has something to do with color bits, but I've tried every possible image format to render and it doesn't fix it. Thanks if you know anything about this

>> No.635886
File: 1.50 MB, 1919x1075, nobanding.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635884
and if i just take a screenshot of the render preview you can see no banding, so I'm not sure what's going on.

>> No.635887

>>635884
>>635886
also i just realized i could easily photoshop the non-banded background into the rendered image, but that's a shitty way to fix this and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong with the render.

>> No.635890

Starting to learn sculpting in Blender. What are some techniques to learn and possible projects to start with? Should I just try turning concept art or orthographic views into sculpts?

>> No.635892

>>635890
i suggest you start with "yansculpts" on youtube
also subscribe for the cgcookie blender training channel they upload alot of sculpting stuff

>> No.635895

>>633468
What's the best equivalent to "Shrinkwrap" tools in 3DS Max 2018? All I on search results get is a bunch of Blenderfags bitching

>> No.635896

>>635895
different terminology

>> No.635897

>>635896
This doesn't answer the question. What is the shrinkwrap tool called in 3DS Max? Does it even have one?

>> No.635901

>>635896
>What terminology does 3DS Max use for this?
>different terminology
No shit sherlock.

>> No.635902

>>635901
ur a big boyaren't you

>> No.635906
File: 17 KB, 225x273, conform.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635895
Create tab -> Geometry - > Compound Objects -> Conform

Alternatively, turn the object into an editable poly and use the Conform tools in the Tool Ribbon to shape the object manually using brushes. In case you want to undo the changes, apply an edit poly modifier first.

>> No.635907

>>635823
Disgusting attention whoring thot
>>635902
No u

>> No.635909

>>635884
Use an HDRI. The banding is caused in scene back lack of information in the world image. Either that, or use a procedural texture.

>> No.635911

>>635909
thanks, this is a good suggestion. ultimately i just removed the third color from the gradient (darker blue at the top), which removed 90% of the banding and it's fine now.

>> No.635919

>>633468
I'm too stupid to model or for good topology, but I want a qt Anime model that deforms well. Should I just steal one?

>> No.635936

>>633468
How well does auto-rigging work these days, as plugins and standalone ?

>> No.635972

>>635936
how does it work?

1. you set up your model in a Tpose position, arms and legs wide. in ortographic front view

2.you select "points". usually one goes in the chin,the neck,the elbows,wrists,legs,pelvis etc.

3. you click "rig" and you got a rig.

4. for facial rigging zoom in to the face and set the points as instructed

>> No.635974

>>635919
yes. just practice your rigging and animation.
come back to modeling later

>> No.635975

>>635936
Mixamo is decent for getting a basic working rig, but you'll need to modify more later.

>> No.636014
File: 2.19 MB, 1270x1806, t6RYVM7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

im using 3ds max 2011, is there any point to upgrading?

>> No.636015

>>635256
man legs and hairy legs no thnks

>> No.636016

>>635919
http://www.manuelbastioni.com/
They come pre rigged and with decent cycles materials (However, the real skin material is better than the anime materials IMO). Shits free, brah. You can use for production renders and in games (still best to read over his copyright FAQ though).

It's basically a "Daz Studio: the blender plugin" without the pay wall... but less cloths sadly.

>> No.636128
File: 678 KB, 500x282, SlipperyRealisticCavy-size_restricted.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>635012
>There is no such thing as "awful topo."

>> No.636130
File: 370 KB, 2048x1536, 1529128257241.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can anyone recommend a good up-to-date print book on Blender?

I hate learning from videos for some reason, I prefer a nice textbook by my side while I work.

>> No.636370

what the hell is happening with cgpeers? im getting
> This Domain Name Has Expired - Renewal Instructions.

feels more serious that their usual downtimes, are there any new or info about it?

>> No.636379

>>636130
The Complete Guide to Blender Graphics: Computer Modeling & Animation, Fourth Edition by John M. Blain
4th edition is up to 2.79, so that's up to date. It's over 600 pages long, it is full of screen shots

>> No.636384

>>636379
They actually wrote a book for it. Wow.

>> No.636389
File: 322 KB, 389x575, 1517085562007.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>636130
Hi friend. Why not enable subtitles on youtube and print out every frame of every tutorial ever published? :^)

>> No.636458

>>636370
ugh yes i'm getting that too, they're probably done for. and the new master classes from artstation were coming out today :(

>> No.636461

>>636370
>>636458
cgpeers.to is their backup domain

>> No.636464

>>636461
thank you so much man.

>> No.636476
File: 64 KB, 636x447, 18n98llo8qdbfjpg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How'd PS1 pre-rendered backgrounds look like this? and how can I emulate it?

>> No.636477

>>636476
its normal modeling and texturing like anything else. the only difference is low rendering resolution and low AA

>> No.636488

>>636476

drawn/photo-sourced textures, not too high res
using point/spot/distant(parallel?) lights
raytraced shadows and reflections only sparingly
reflection mapping
NO radiosity (bounces emulated by lights in the scene)
shadow-mapped lights
using phong shading for spec
strong bump & spec maps, no normal mapping
NURBS, patches or highly dense poly modeling to get nice smooth geo
obvious procedural textures
texture sequences for 'some' animated surfaces or effects
procedural textures as pump/spec components
strong, saturated colors in textures and lights
lots of cheating
post work in photoshop etc.

t. oldfag

>> No.636490

I'm completely stumped on the proper way to do terrain mapping in Blender, or in any 3D software for that matter.
I've read that using vertex paint for a splatmap is a better solution, but doesnt that limit me to 3 channels? With splatmap textures I can throw in multiple splatmaps to allow for more than three textures at a time, but that doesnt seem possible with vertex paint (to be fair im completely unfamiliar with vertex paint).
Is there something I'm missing here? Or should I stick with using splatmap images instead of looking into this vertex paint stuff.
As a sort of side-question to this, Is there any way for me to seperate out the Alpha channel as well as the RGB channels? I see a RGB seperator node but no RGBA (Though I have seen RGBA seperator mentioned online).

>> No.636493
File: 29 KB, 926x694, 1512991661078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

CGPeers and GFXpeers are both down, whats the next best alternative?

>> No.636495

>>636490
>I've read that using vertex paint for a splatmap is a better solution, but doesnt that limit me to 3 channels?
That's exactly why it's a better solution.

>> No.636496

Is 3dcoat an acceptable alternative to z-brush for sculpting? I normally draw but I want to get into 3d sculpting so I can have stuff 3d printed

>> No.636497
File: 80 KB, 273x260, JP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>634541
-be a canadian professor who sounds like kermit the frog
-critique political correctness
-tell people to clean their rooms
-collect patreon bux

>> No.636501

>>636495
Care to explain why?

>> No.636504

>>636501
>wanting bloat

>> No.636506

>>636490
You already have 4 possible combinations. Black for base texture, and RGB for three separate splat textures. If you want more than you can just add another vertex color group in your mesh data in Blender and incorporate it into the node editor.

>>636501
Per-vertex data is a lot more efficient than per-pixel data.

>> No.636521

>>633468
Are higher res sprite sheets(64x64, but preferably higher) a viable option for fixed perspective 2D/2.5D games (think baldur's gate or Diablo Two, but higher res)... Or is the memory requirements a deal breaker? I know that 2D bones are typically used for side scrollers, but they don't seem to be a viable option for an orthographic views. I'd like to replicate the old sprite based RTS aesthetic, but it seems like everyone just does lowpoly now. Is it just an easier workflow or are their performance benefits?

>> No.636563

>>636476
Slightly blurry photo is my favourite cheat.

>> No.636576
File: 13 KB, 662x556, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

New to blender, and whenever I try to box select the top vertexes, I can only ever drag one of them up. (pic related) What am I doing wrong?

>> No.636580

>>636576
There is an toggle on the 3d viewport's menu bar that turns on the feature you are looking for. "Xray mode" or something like that.

>> No.636593
File: 8 KB, 364x108, sel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>636576
this?

>> No.636603

>>636593
Yes, toggle that shit till it works (I've noticed the button doesn't really display right for me sometimes).

>> No.636605

>>636593
>>636603
Where on the ui is that? I can't find it for some reason
>>636580
You mean wireframe?

>> No.636731

Do you need to have drawing experience to do 3D characters etc?

>> No.636740

>>636731
No.

>> No.636763

I've been transferring animations to an alternate rig. Some of the bones came out wonky so I masked them and baked an animation out of what was left. However this animation runs slow as molasses. The keyframe count/interval is a lot higher in the baked animation. it also contains superfluous keyframes (scale never changes, but those were baked into the animation). Is this what is causing the viewport to chug? Does excessive keyframing reduce performance? If so is their an easy way to remove unnessesary keyframes, and/or reduce keyframe count?

>> No.636764

>>636731
It helps tremendously if you can draw AND have some knowledge of anatomy.

>> No.636777

>>633468
>2018
>cursed to see mspa drawing

>> No.636788 [DELETED] 

For Maya, is there a way I can set up a custom orthographic camera angle? If so, how do I do it? I can't find it where I'd expect it to be.

>> No.636838

>>636740
>>636764
>>636731
>No.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA fuck yea you do.

And no, it doesn't "help". It's a damn requirement.
You don't need to be be Michelangelo, but you definitely need to be able to draw more than stickmen.

>> No.636844

>>636838
bait

>> No.636846
File: 17 KB, 411x337, brainlet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>636838
Different art is different, you stupid cunt faggot.

>no you see you NEED to know how to draw before you start molding IRL clay into figures

>> No.636849
File: 45 KB, 800x450, brainlet-mask.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>636838
Is that why 2Dfags use 3D to lay out shit like furniture and buildings in perspective before tracing over it?

>> No.636852

>>636731
no

in fact, you might find that by pursuing 3d, you find your 2d skills improve as you begin to visualise things in your mind more and more

>> No.636868

>>636731
>No
but you'll be so gimped that you eventually learn how to draw because you can't actually make any concept art yourself. It helps a fuck ton with every aspect of modeling and making art. 3D helps 2D and 2D helps 3D.

>> No.636878

Can someone tell me what Zbrush has that over Blender sculpt tools?

No meme'n. I just sculpt with Blender as a free method. I noticed that zbrush doesn't do Dynamic Topology and updates the mesh as you sculpt. and it seems to have no smooth shading?

>> No.636883

>>636852
Common misnomer. 2D skills are improved by memorization and basic construction skills. You either know it approximately correctly or you construct it correctly, the latter of which can take a lot of time and canvas depending on how many things you need to measure. Visualization is how you get awkward drawings that look ok but have something off that laypeople can't pinpoint, usually to do with foreshortening. Nothing beats a massive mental library, it's why a common study is to break down objects or poses into simple shapes that capture the proportions and contours. You're supposed to memorize that for when you want to draw the same thing (or something approximate to it) in the future.

>> No.636886

>>636878
Zbrush has dynamesh, which is like dyntopo, however instead of it updating as you go like dyntopo does, you need to sculpt until you begin to notice stretching etc. and update the dynamesh, which sort of applies a "flood fill" to the topology and makes it more manageable. I prefer it, because personally I think dyntopo looks awful and it really annoys me

Zbrush doesn't use smoothing groups, it achieves smoothness through higher and higher subdivision levels

Zbrush also has zremesher, which Blender doesn't.

>> No.636887

>>636878
How do people like you fucking exist, have you even considered watching videos of people using Zbrush, or are you so captive in your tiny blender world you can't bear to look and see how professionals work? Michael Pavlovich is probably a good place to start, he shows off tons of incredible tricks. Or if you're too autistic to understand anything but numbers, how about >1 billion polygons in a sculpt?

>> No.636890

>>636844
>>636846
>>636849
>t. unemployed salty virgins
Jesus fuck how can you be so lazy that you can't pick up a fucking pencil.
Keep struggling trying to make your shitty animus and then complain that you can't succeed because you lack "talent".

>> No.636907

>>636890
who the fuck wants to be employed in 3d at the poverty line lmao

>> No.636919

>>636890
I *do* pick up a pencil to draw on occasion, but claiming you NEED to be able to "draw" to do 3D is just patently false.

>> No.636924

>>636887
Question about My tablet And Zbrush.
I'm using a huion gt-220 v2 tablet. And ZBrush has been sort have running into issues. I'd have to close it and reopen it.

I was wondering a few thigns.
Like Is there a quick reset on Zbrush, where I can just quickly refresh it.

Or if Anyone has had the same issues as I did. But found a better solution?

>> No.636991

What's the best 3d software for porn on linux?

>> No.637009

>>636991
cheese

>> No.637094

In Blender I can use the SubSruf Modifier to apply subdivisions and go up and down the levels and see what higher subdivisions are like. I can then export the highest one and then click back down to the lower poly.
In Maya, which I am new to, is there anything comparable? Do I just have to duplicate my model and then smooth the next one to the level I want and then export that for a high poly or something? The modifier just made things so intuitive and I feel like I'm missing something in my Maya subdiv knowledge

>> No.637138

Is there a way to lock border edges\faces\verts in maya so that they are not affected by soft select\sculpt?

>> No.637244

Does anyone know how I might go about making a seamless, tileable, animated water texture? I'm honestly stumped...

>> No.637254

Okay how the fuck do I rig bendy arms? I know ribbon deformers are a thing, but they seem really complex and take a while to set up. I don't need the arms to stretch or anything like that, I just need them to be able to curve instead of bending normally. I spent the last few hours trying to use an IK spline handle for this, but right when I thought I had figured it out, I did a test bind and it turns out I made it really painful to control. For some reason I can't seem to find any tutorials for spline arms on youtube, even though it seems like something that should be pretty common and basic. Someone pls help or point me to somewhere that can.

>> No.637259

>>637254
instead of looking up arm rigging, look up tentacle rigging and apply the concepts to your arm

>> No.637385
File: 27 KB, 699x599, why.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i'm using the inset edgeloop tool with symmetry on and maya is cutting my polygons like this instead of even edgeloops all the way around. anyone know why or how I can prevent this?

>> No.637439

>>637385
check on non-manifolds, boolean artifacts and bad faces with cleanup, delete offenders and re-append them back
sometimes maya produces bad faces for no apparent reason

>> No.637447

>>635426
God, /3/ is so full of pretentious pricks

>> No.637664

>>637439
thank you, this fixed it!

>> No.637704

>>637664
if at some point you have overwhelmingly huge amount of these bad faces, you can export your model in obj and import it back

>> No.638266

Sorry if this is an answered question, but I have two questions. How would you sculpt eyelashes in Zbrush/Sculptris and how can you reduce polys without losing quality?

>> No.638299

Has anyone done the Introduction to 3D modeling on CG Spectrum? In terms of thought courses it seems like good value.

>> No.639611
File: 611 KB, 712x712, 1509697852248.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>633574
here have this