[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 28 KB, 398x241, girls_laughing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
620818 No.620818 [Reply] [Original]

Just fucking lmao at all these people on this board shit talking Blender.
Even if it is a shitty program most of you don't even have the skills to justify using any software that's better.

Prove me wrong. Post the best work you've done that can't be done in Blender.

>> No.620821

>>620818
I think the main issue is that if you eventually take your skills further (i.e. you want to get a job in a professional 3dcg house), you'll still be able to use the general concepts from Blender but you'll need to completely re-learn the controls and workflow. Whereas if you learn Maya, you could theoretically be productive straight away.

And unless you have some strong ethical objection to just torrenting it, there's no real reason not to just use the pro tools from the start.

>> No.620822

>>620821
That's true but it's also a minor concern. You're going to have learn how to transfer your skills between various programs regardless and learning Maya is only one less.

>> No.620827

>>620822
Your argument is essentially "Blender is not as good as Maya, but it's good enough that most beginners won't be severely disadvantaged by the feature deficit".

That's probably true, but it is not a convincing argument. If someone can access the best professional tools for free with a few clicks, why would they want to make do with kinda-sorta-nearly-as-good-in-most-cases amateur tools? Especially when far more polished learning resources are available for the pro tools?

I'm not trying to diminish Blender, it's a gem of open source and a marvellous technical accomplishment. But learning it just isn't the best option for people new to 3dcg.

>> No.620832

>>620827
The feature deficit is nearly negligible for most people on this board. Whether your argument stands or not is primarily based on the skill set of the person. If they don't have the skill set, then they didn't waste that much time and they could just pick up a new software, but even if they do have the skill set then they know what to look for and they could likely transfer their skill set. I have never used Maya, but I did have to resort to using substance painter, and Marvelous. These were not especially difficult programs to use and just doing some preliminary research into other programs, many industry standard software tries their best to keep things simple and user friendly unlike Blender.
There's also another factor to consider which you just assumed at the start and that is that there's a significant number of people on this board that either wants or even could get a job in the industry with the rate at which the people on this board is improving. You can sort of keep track of who's doing what based on style and I'm have a feeling that almost no one will get jobs in a notable company any time soon, if they do I think they are lying because the work I've seen on this board is seriously lacking. So what program you use will depend on what you've used first. Almost everyone here has enough time to pick up any software they need at any time. There's no need to antagonize any software until they've reached that point.

>> No.620834
File: 343 KB, 500x671, 1520498899311.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620818
>Post the best work you've done that can't be done in Blender.

All the work you see in major 3d studios. Can't be done in blender since none of them use it.

>> No.620835

>>620834
Yeah, but you didn't do them yourself you unemployed loser. What software you end up using has barely any impact on this board.

>> No.620895

>>620832
You have not improved your argument. You've given me a bunch of reasons why Blender is not as bad as people say, that it's useful as an educational tool, that retraining is perfectly feasible, etc etc. That's fine. I don't dispute it. But if a beginner just learns Maya instead of Blender, they bypass the entire debate. So to suggest Blender over Maya, you would need to come up with reasons Blender is /better/, which you probably won't be successful at.

>> No.620914

>>620818
totalitarian blender commie cunt, don't tell me what tools to use and mind your own business

>> No.620942

>>620895
You're missing the point. I never once "suggested" Maya over blender. Let me rephrase the argument is another way. Imagine if someone had extremely strong opinions about the benefits of having a license to drive semi trucks when they can't even drive to begin with. The argument is not entirely 1 to 1 but I hope you understand my point a little better. Everyone here will eventually move to one program to the next because they just have to, discussion of what programs to use should be peripheral to the larger content on this board.

>> No.620944

some people are broke and don't want to pirate.

>> No.621066

>>620944

some people are doomed to fail by being moralfags

>> No.621071

>>620895
Modifiers. There you go. Maya's history approach is garbage.

>> No.621079

>>621071
Sure, that's why Blender devs are looking into making everything nodes, just like in Maya.

>> No.621093

>>620944
but you don't even need to pirate autodesk stuff, student edition works just fine for education purposes

>> No.621110

>>620944
Why would someone not want to pirate? I don't understand.

>> No.621127

>>621110
some isps monitor p2p traffic and chances are if you're pirating you probably can't spare the cash for a vpn as well

>> No.621135
File: 39 KB, 600x367, brainpower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620818
The problem with /3/ mainly is that it believes Maya/Blender is what the begineer needs instead of Blender/Maya. Everyone misses the point that learning how to model in any software (except paint 3d that is just literally meme software) that shares common tools and support for things will matter more than bragging that you know how to use Maya 2015/19.

In professional enviromments, it will matter that you know how to use a tool, but if you are here, you are most likely an Indie. And Indie companies usually won't care if you use the pro stuff. They care if you can do the good stuff, and improving everyday with Max/Maya/Blender/ZBrush will stay as improvement forever.

So, maybe stop and start learning more. Learn how Maya's rigging system works, learn Max's powerful tools for Archviz, use Blender's nodes to achieve creativity, try to sculpt on ZBrush, make a better pillow on Marvelous Designer, paint that stool with Substance Painter or make new procedural textures with Substance Designer, and use all that to create maybe a fun little game on Unity/Unreal.

In the end, you can get the job if you learn how they all work and how to use them to your advantage.

>> No.621140

>>621135
based
finally a good post on /3/

>> No.621198

>>620834
OP meant you, dingus. Not companies like ILM.

But I guess you're too shit to do anything less than eye-seering, huh?

>> No.621199

>>621093
But what if you want to make something that isn't bound by the educational license are are a poorfag?

SOL then? Or just pirate the damn thing?

>> No.621200

>>621135
About time someone talks sense on this godforsaken board.

Well done.

>> No.621205

>>621199
fbx export cares not if the stuff was made in pirated, legit bought or student version
I wouldn't be surprised if some blender artists turn out to just do minor stuff in blender itself and the whole "blender artist" status for them is for ego stroking and hiding the fact they use packages that come from persian computer graphics education forum to do actual work

>> No.621214

>>620818
blender is great for learning but once you git so so you start to hit its limitations. You don't notice them when you are a beginner but as to progress...you will (sculpting resolution being an example as well as the renderer, although I'm interested to see how evee will fair)

>> No.621216

>>620821
Do all of you learn 3d just to become a pipeline goy for some publisher? isn't it possible to be a freelance/independent cg artist anymore?!!

>> No.621224

>>621216
unfortunately most people lack discipline and charisma to become successful independent/freelance artist so they opt for easier way that offers certain degree of reliable income

>> No.621225

>>621216
You'll do many things (outside of, perhaps, modeling) faster in programs like Maya, Max or C4D. Therefore being more performant as a freelancer.

Blender-exclusive freelancers find it hard to compete because they cannot produce as quickly and well as those who are not limited by their choice of software.

>> No.621226

>>621205
Most Blender artists I've seen either do one of two things:
- most of their work in Blender, but things like textures in other programs
- split most of the work evenly with other programs (like zBrush for sculpting, sometime Maya comes into play for animation, but not nearly as often).

That's what most people seem to forget when it comes to Blender or any other 3D program. Not every artist is trained on one thing. If I had a better machine, I'd be using Maya for rigging and animation and zBrush for sculpting while Blender would mostly be used for just modeling and UV unwrapping.

It's called a ripeline and many people decrying Blender seem to forget that they exist even in the big VFX and animation houses.

>> No.621243

>>621226
There's also the very important factor that Blender is free to use for any purpose. So if it happens to be better than, say, Maya at, say, modeling, it doesn't have to cost any extra to use.

This leads me to think it's (personally) installed on many studio workstations even if their pipeline is centered around other programs, as long as it can communicate with them.

>> No.621263

>>621243
And .FBX and .OBJ are (mostly) universal, so it is feesable.

>> No.621278

>>621263
Can one actually get away with making model in blender if the emplyer asks for an .obj made, for example in Maya? asking for a friend

>> No.621312

>>621278
Basically, OBJ are lists of vertices and edges. There is no way your client can tell which program you used to create that data.

In fact, it would be retarded to ask for an OBJ made in X. Maybe the client wants the scene description (in native format)?