[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 87 KB, 2000x1635, Blender_logo_no_text.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
606253 No.606253 [Reply] [Original]

I'll just open the general since I don't even know where to post, and the only choice were the current discussions about Blender in troll threads.

I was trying to find out if Blender has that incredibly useful bevel shader I learned about recently in Modo, and it seems that it doesn't atm, but I stumbled upon this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6NAMgQDFDs

Can't understand anything though, but the video is relatively new, so is this some addon in development and will this potentially be available in Blender 2.8? Modo can even bake that bevel shader down to a low-poly, which is crazy. I can't live without it now.

That being said, as much as I like Modo, I won't lie, it's a fucking struggle to get used to the controls. Blender is piss easy compared to that, at least from my experience. And I realized that I still have to move and scale tools with a bunch of clicks, but I don't think any other program could make it more comfortable for me than Blender. My fingers start hurting after a while. I probably just got really used to Blender in the last few months so that might be why, but the struggle is real now.

Anyway, just wanted to share the video and ask about the possibilty of getting a bevel shader in Blender.

>> No.606264
File: 740 KB, 773x749, bevel_curvature.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The guy says that the Bevel shader was added in the experimental branch of Blender a few days before he recorded. A pair of caveats he mentions are that it slowers rendering, and that it’s not a true bevel, since there are no geometry changes behind the scenes.

Good for baking, however. In the dev discussion (https://developer.blender.org/D2803)) I see there are some people already trying it for that.

Pic from the discussion, using the shader to create an edge mask. Cool stuff.

>> No.606265

So for Valentine's Day I want to make a 3D model of the character my girlfriend ERPs as (loli catgirl Hatsune Miku) and I want to start by making a skin material but I hate using prerendered textures since they're so inflexible.

Anyone know how I can get the voronoi crackle + dots texture of human skin with nodes?

>> No.606275

is the udemy course on blender sculpting any good? i've been following the "complete blender creator course" on it, but i want to learn how to model mostly characters and this course gives an overview rather than focusing on what i want. from what i understand, i should be learning sculpting for my purpose

or do you people just watch random youtube videos to learn?

>> No.606316

>>606264
Wow, DonutMaker™ is catching up...we already had that shit in 2010.

>> No.606317

>>606253
Cant you just use the shape modifier bevel?

>> No.606320

>>606253
>>606264
Btw dude blender does have it I use it all the time
Look up face weighted normals

It's that very same shader, but you have to get an add-on for it, and you have to click the thing after you finish modifying each time, so you can essentially model something, literally bevel the whole thing and get the same result, and also there's many different cool things that you can get via this way of shading

>> No.606345

>>606275
I did the Udemy’s “Complete Creator” course, and I’m now following a few Learning Paths in CG Cookie. If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to ditch the Udemy course and go straight into CG Cookie. It’s really that bad in comparison.

CG Cookie has great courses on sculpting for character creation (apart from whatever fundamentals course you may need), ranging from cartoon to realistic styles.

I can’t say anything about Zach’s course, however. Personally, I wouldn’t try it as long as I have pending sculpting courses on CGC.

CGC is subscription based, though. If you have the time and can grind for a month or two, you’ll get good value for your money.

>> No.606346

>>606317
The bevel modifier creates geometry. This is a shading trick.

>> No.606351

>>606316
>Brecht Van Lommel (brecht) added a comment.
>This is a new algorithm not based on any existing implementation or paper about rounded corners.

>> No.606360

I don't want it to be this way, but the more different 3D programs I try, the more I realize how much I love Blender. Sure, it has it's own weaknesses that I have to deal with (like every other program, after all), + constant insults from other people (which is the hardest part, even if they are joking), but I can't help it. I'm so fast in it, and I have such a pleasant time working with it that it's really hard to force myself into something else. Why does it have to be this way?

>> No.606388

>>606360
Fuck what others like cunt
Just use what you enjoy

>> No.606400

>>606345
alright anon, i'm gonna give cg cookie a try. thank you for the advice

>> No.606412

>>606360
>Why does it have to be this way?
Because it's not what you described exists only in your mind and is fueled by the fact that you can't admit to yourself that you made a big mistake the day you downloaded Blender.
>I'm so fast in it
Yes. With Blender you go nowhere fast.

>> No.606417

>>606412
3/10. You ruined the second part and it doesn't make sense.

>> No.606430

>>606412
>Shitposting against Blender tirelessly
>Actually afraid he’ll lose his job to some poorfag with more talent than him, who otherwise wouldn’t have been able to learn 3D due to outrageous software costs

>> No.606431
File: 11 KB, 182x233, Somuchpork+_e2335b1043b91d4ca59c0a8caa2c6c39.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>606430
D E L E T E T H I S
E
L
E
T
E

T
H
I
S

>> No.606434

>>606430
>who otherwise wouldn’t have been able to learn 3D due to outrageous software costs

Blendlets will always amaze me in their stupidity. Individual artists don't give a fucking shit about software costs since they can either pirate them or get free student licenses even if they're not students.

So who's going to be getting a job between a guy who uses Maya and Zbrush, and another one who uses DonutMaker, if their art has the same quality? That's right, the Maya/Zbrushfag, because he known how to use the tools the rest of the studio is using.

Modeling donuts and anvils will get you nowhere.

>> No.606438

>>606434
>a guy who uses Maya and Zbrush, and another one who uses DonutMaker, if their art has the same quality?
>the same quality
You played yourself there, friendo.

>> No.606442

>>606434
Surely each one of them will have a certain style which will appeal more or less to the studio. What are 3D artists, some fucking completely replacable model generators?

>> No.606445

>>606442
This. Look at the variety even among newbies’ donuts. No two donuts look exactly the same, and yet we can assume their makers had similar skills.

>> No.606446

The reason Blender is so good is that it makes up for a lack of strengths with a lack of weaknesses.
Every other 3D program seems to excel in one area, but outweigh it with massive flaws and gaps in capabilities.

It would make way more sense for Blender to be the industry standard than anything else, because:
>Blender does everything a studio needs it to, they don't need a wide range of tools
>in the rare event the above is not true, Blender can be modified down to the very source code
>Blender is already standard amongst non-professional 3D artists, due to the accessibility and the fact that the only reason someone would use something else is because a studio forced them to

>> No.606537

>>606434
And? You can still make anvils in Maya or ZBrush.

Hell, there's tutorials on how to make donuts in those programs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_deRGShNzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCv_JeBUdMc
If anything, all CGI programs are DonutMakers.

>> No.606539

>>606442
>What are 3D artists, some fucking completely replacable model generators?
it's a very competitive industry, so yes.
you conform your style to the studio, not the other way around.

>> No.607363

im trying to download a 3d model from a video game and the issue is that when i download it, it becomes an "rar" file. is it possible to convert an "rar" file to an "xps" file?

>> No.607369

>>607363
You have to unzip it. And by that you right click (with the mouse) and select the option "extract here" in the folder you want to put it in.

>> No.607372
File: 24 KB, 1502x649, shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>607369
lemme just show you what i mean. pic related is the xps file that i got from deviantart. the profile says that its an xps file but now for whatever reason when i open it up it shows up as an "rar" file when i click the link. i saw a vid on some dude getting an xps file on a character from injustice 2 and then it became an xps file which he was then able to import onto blender using an add-on which i also got and know how to use. my problem is that now i just have the file that i want but its an "rar" file and theres nothing i have that will open it, let alone unzip it.

>> No.607733

I downloaded production 2.80 to try some things, but I have a few questions:

>I can't import any models, gives a bunch of errors, what do?
>Where did realtime rendering icon dissappear and why is everything in the viewport constantly rendering? How can I stop it? If I'm in a Cycles renderer I can see the timer in the corner and the performance is not that great.

>> No.607734

>>607733
>>I can't import any models, gives a bunch of errors, what do?
2.8 is developer only and unusable for everyone else

>> No.607735

>>607734
Wow, I didn't know that, thank you so much. /s

I just thought there may be some solution for it. Want to try the bevel shader with one of my models.

>> No.607745

>>607735
AFAIK you can pause Cycles, but then you won’t see shit in the viewport. Do this:

Switch to Clay rendering engine.
Load your model, prep the scene.
Switch to a UI layout with only a tiny 3D viewer and a huge node editor. Switch to Cycles here. You’ll be able to select your object, edit the material, see a live preview render.
Include the bevel shader in your material.
Pause Cycles in the viewport. Render.

>> No.607750

>>606539
But the studios could pick someone already close to theirs

>> No.607758

>>607750
hurr, that's the whole point of adjusting your style to the studio. SO THAT THEY PICK YOU.

>> No.607772

Please don't reply to the troll posts, just ignore them. You go and make a thread to get away from trolling, then you feed the trolls?

>> No.607777

If I resize a rigged character using it's bones. (For example, resize legs and head to give a cartoon/goblin look), is there a way to apply those changes to both the armature and the mesh?

>> No.607782

Give me the best books on blender 3d. I've been using the software for like 4 years now but I feel like reading some interesting tutorials.

>> No.607783

>>607777
I think under modifiers, you can apply the armature? If you scale a bone, it should just scale all the verts in the corresponding bone group.

>> No.607784

>>607782
oliver villar have a dvd + book combo, check him out

>> No.607886

>>607783
Yeah, I found the solution was to apply the armature modifier, then apply transforms to the armature before parenting the mesh to it again.

>> No.607896

this guy got tired of 3DS max and switched to Blender

http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/

fucking good tool

>> No.607898

>>607896
As somebody who's used to Max and just moved to blender, thanks for this.

>> No.607901

>>607896
>>607898
I was just reading about this on Polycount, looks like it'd be useful if I ever got around to UV unwrapping. I'm currently struggling with the issue of "how do I go from highpoly to lowpoly without decimating the existing mesh" and other adventures.

>> No.607912

>>607901
Its called retopo.

>> No.607923

>>607901
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEHtKH55Us

Very simple tutorial. So much better than the options on zbrush.

>> No.607931

>>607912
>>607923
I'll keep that in mind, but I'm working with hard surface design - for some reason, pretty much all the results I'm finding for retopo are for sculpts and it seems that people do hard surface by hand.

>> No.607939
File: 126 KB, 1139x821, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another very specific scenario and problem.

I've been using uv project and cameras to model things from flat images but when I need to move bits back and forth, it means realigning with the camera's perspective each time.

Is it possible to have the transformation orientation align with a camera's fov or it's origin point?

I guess the other solution is to just use an isometric camera for the project but that might make the model look weird when trying to guess the distance of pieces.

>> No.607940

>>607939
>I've been using uv project and cameras to model things from flat images

that sentence does not make sense, you mean that you use photogrammy to make models?
also how can you model a flat image?

>> No.607941

>>607939
Wut the fug are you even doing, bro?! Don't understand the question at all.

>> No.607947

>>607939
You're doing it... Well, not "wrong", so to speak, but that's definitely not the usual way. If you want zero perspective, hit 5 on the numpad and everything will look "flat", no perspective at all.

Modeling from images is generally done by having the image open as a reference on another screen, not by drawing directly over it, unless it's a flat image specifically meant for that.

>> No.607950
File: 213 KB, 1143x866, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>607940
>>607941
It's a plane with a UV Project modifier, using a camera as the projector. So while I edit the mesh or add new mesh in front, the uvs will automatically update and keep things lined up.

I've seen some people use it to make 2D images 3D and even animate them.

>> No.607951

>>607939
this post just reeks of autism, but I'll give it a try.
>but when I need to move bits back and forth, it means realigning with the camera's perspective each time.
No, it doesn't. Just use hotkeys to set the camera to the front or side view. Obviously, do this in ortographic mode.
>Is it possible to have the transformation orientation align with a camera's fov or it's origin point?
Yes. Change the pivot point. Or just learn to extrude vertices/faces along axes or with blocking just one axis.

>> No.607953

>>607951
>Doesn't understand
>"Must be autism"

Grow up, Anon.

>> No.608027

>>607950
Huh. But is this your artwork or someone else's? Seems like an incredibly hacky workflow, I don't think it's worth it. Well, for a portfolio it definitely isn't. One guy on /r/ blender was posting renders of "Nixon scuplt" where he just used a photo and made some bumps on it to make it look 3D. Never wanted to show any side other than front because of obvious reasons. This looks like you're doing the same thing. What about the backside? You want to skip texturing just by placing a full single image on your model? It will look like shit, too.

If I didn't understand you and you just want to create a model from a reference, it's not the right way either.

>> No.608040

>>607950
why did you picked this exact image tho???
I get that John Blanche is fucking awesome and "Emperor Protects", but he's images are not suited for 3d IMHO.
and this image is very blurry and details are not very defined (it's he's style and I love it, how he stylises things), but, but I'd chose something different for sake of learning the technique you want to achieve, because this image as I said is blurry and it's hindering your work...
PS: Death to the corpse Emperor!

>> No.608072

>>608027
>>608040
It's not for modelling but making a 2D image look 3D. The Emperor model was just a shitpost thing I made for vrchat, that was the only sfw example I have to show.

The others are pov art/animations I'm trying to make 3D for vr video. You'll only see the front of them. Manyakis did it for his Marina video.

>> No.608106

>>606275
>>606345
i watched "fundamentals of digital sculpting" on cg cookie and it goes by so fast. the instructor does some things so quick. to be fair, i was watching on my phone without following along in blender, so maybe by the time i sit down to do it, it'll seem easier. or maybe sculpting is that much harder compared to the extrude method, i dunno.

>> No.608108

>>608106
>to be fair, i was watching on my phone without following along in blender
That’s most probably why you found the instructor too fast. You are expected to follow along, trying to get a similar enough result. With sculpting, it takes a bit of practice to get used to the brushes and how they work. Instructors have it, and so their courses make it appear easy, but you’ll have to work on it a bit more to get to the same point.

Sculpting may seem slow at first, but it soon will become second nature to you and you’ll be fast modeling with it.

>> No.608184

>>607950
What is this supposed to be?

>> No.608187

>>608184
Emperor's Throne from WH40k

>> No.608222

Should a vulva be a distortion of a grid, or face loop raised at the sides?

>> No.608299

>>608222
Depends on the topology of what's around it. A grid distortion is probably the easiest but I'd use a face loop if I wanted to use it for close ups with shape keys if you know what I mean.

>> No.608302

>>608222
I imagine it's best as a ring around the whole labia but more tucked in at the top. Like how the lips curl inward at the corners of a mouth.

>> No.608307

>>608299
Grid distortions are hard, because then you need to produce a fine grid without increasing the mesh density everywhere else, which takes a lot of strange topology.

>> No.608310

>>607733
Open in 2.79, copy with CTRL + C, and paste in 2.8
Thank me later :*

>> No.608319

>>608222
Anything you want flexible like that should be face loops (aka edgeflows).

>> No.608329

Is there a simple way to apply soft-body physics to a stationary image? That is, the soft body is distorted based on intersecting colliders in a single frame.

>> No.608375
File: 896 KB, 1000x607, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>close outer labia like this
>subsurface creates a glow that is obvious in poor lighting
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

>> No.608380
File: 194 KB, 1524x722, what-the-feck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wish I new why importing a scene with fbx is such a pain in blender. The same file loads fine in unity and resetting transforms in the original program (max) only makes it worse.

>> No.608382

>>608380
Supposedly because FBX is proprietary and compatibility is shoddy at best with some programs, Blender included.

Could be wrong on that one. But Blender .FBX importing is complete shit, I'll give you that regardless.

>> No.608388

Another weird thing I'm getting on some models is I'm unable to move stuff in edit mode. Pressing G twice for slider mode makes it go 100% in the closest axis. Strange thing is duplicated faces from the same bit of mesh move fine.

I'm not sure if I'm accidentally pressing a 'lock' key or something but I can't find anything like that in guides.

>> No.608393

>>608388
Check if you have snapping on, sounds like it might be the case

>> No.608394

>>608393
I think I found it. The mesh had blend shapes and deleting those stopped the problem.

>> No.608409

>>608375
Is that because of SSS?

>> No.608412

>>608380
This Anon has it right (>>608382). FBX is not an open standard, and Blender cannot use Autodesk’s FBX SDK due to license incompatibilities. Blender devs use alternative code (their own, I believe), but it’s of course not as complete as Autodesk’s.

If I recall right, a dev discussion considered abandoning, or at least slowing, FBX development in favor of better designed, modern, and open exchange standards. glTF, developed by the Khronos Group, is the one that fits the requirements. Exporters/importers are already being developed for Blender and other 3DCG software. Not sure about Autodesk’s products, though; I wouldn’t be surprised if they work actively against it.

>> No.608416

>>608409
Presumably, yes.
Never had this issue before, I don't usually use S3X

>> No.608422

can someone explain to me why blender can't import fbx for shit?

>> No.608426

>>608412
isn't the point of an sdk to make fbx cross compatible?

>> No.608449

>>608426
Ideally, yes. However, the SDK license is incompatible with the GPL, so it cannot be used with Blender.

See the reasoning here: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ton/Autodesk_FBX_EULA

>> No.608454
File: 10 KB, 198x254, 1514516933265.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>608449
All 3ds/Maya/Blender/etc. shittery aside, I really /really/ hate the fact Autodesk buys up all these properties, sometimes kills them (RIP XSI Mod Tool), and charges stupid prices for them / does stupid things with them.

>> No.608456

>>608449
Can't they reserve-engineer the sdk and pretend they did it without it?

>> No.608459

>>608456
no

>> No.608460

>>608456
>Can't they reserve-engineer
no they forgot to reserve any engineers for that

>> No.608504

>>608456
They did that somewhat, that's why there is some support for FBX in Blender. However, we all know it is far from being good enough.

The question devs face is whether it is worth the effort. They may come up with a perfectly compatible FBX addon, and yet Autodesk could simply change the protocol and fuck them over in a single release.

Hopefully, glTF being adopted by the industry will put an end to this, benefitting everyone in 3DCG... except maybe Autodesk.

>> No.608523
File: 595 KB, 476x351, silhouette_brush.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT ANYMOAR

>> No.608537

>>608523
Source?

>> No.608546

>>607896
>>607898

I also switched from 3DS Max to Blender. I have years of experience and can safely say Blender is superior overall. It's also just more enjoyable to work with and the 2.8 update is looking amazing. Really pathetic that normie kids insult Blender because it's free when it's likely better than anything they're using. Most open source software IS shit though, but this certainly isn't.

>> No.608547

>>608523
Will it ever even be released? It looks godlike.

>> No.608575

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyoOzv0_bc

I had this problem with my rig snapping.
Acording to the guys on blender comunity on facebook is an issue on rigging.

Should I stop wathever shit I am doing and just watch that rigging blender DVD?

>> No.608588

alt c isn't working when I import svg file, nothing pops up. im in object mode

>> No.608747

>>608523
2.80?

>> No.608753

>>608747
I've seen a thread where the creator posted updates (including this gif), and he stopped posting around November. Apparently didn't have enough time because of a job. Shit SUCKS. Maybe he updated somewhere else, idk.

>> No.608837

>>608546
Something to do with render quality, mostly. Still a crappy reason since most productions use separate rendering programs anyway.

>> No.608859

>>607931
You can also sculpt hard surface, then retopo. I haven’t done it, but I’ve seen it done.

>> No.608874

>>608837
And that's what these people forget- Blender isn't the end all, be all, and neither is any other program like Maya.

I doubt any of the people ragging on Blender even know what a workflow/pipeline even is when it comes to CGI. Many Blender artists still use other programs like Substance and zBrush alongside it.

>> No.608952

>>608753
if thats really the case he should release the code the way it is and let other people finish it

>> No.609002

How can I invert the green channel of a normal map?

>> No.609084
File: 36 KB, 925x649, ss (2018-02-26 at 05.47.23).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why am I getting a transparent border around the edge of my image? It takes about 10px off of my image, but 2px off the left / 8 off the right.

>> No.609104
File: 94 KB, 1434x704, 1506468922219.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>609002
Something like this?

>> No.609157

>>609104
Thx, can't believe it doesn't have a simple checkbox for that like every other 3D program.

>> No.609249
File: 81 KB, 640x480, hh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>609104
>those control nodes

>> No.609397

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEWOTZnFeg

Respect.

>> No.609424

>>608523
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvjYN0Z79k I'm not even mad

>> No.609434
File: 23 KB, 180x137, 2d_to_3d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>609424
It goes even waaay more back. Look at this program from 1999

http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy.htm

3D coat has something similar too since quite a few years

>> No.609446
File: 31 KB, 922x506, 12234698256.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What would be the best way to do penetration in Blender? Would you hand animate it with shape keys (morphing between closed and gaping) or just apply some soft body physics around the hole and the cucumber? The physics system doesn't seem to be very accurate and things seem to overlap quite a lot and cause weird jittery deforms.

Haven't found much documentation about this subject anywhere, Likkezg does a pretty convincing job but his .blend files cost money, can't really dissect those.

>> No.609507

>it's not possible to change the specular intensity of multiple materials in one go without extensive scripting fuckers

Why the fuck isn't it possible to just hold shift, select a bunch of materials and change parameters like for a single material? This is possible in most other 3D softwares.

I am disappoint.

>> No.609539
File: 5 KB, 480x361, ss (2018-02-28 at 11.59.34).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How in the hell do I align this highlighted edge with the edge above it in a specific plane? I want to make the trapezoid square, and it'd be real easy if I could just snap to the line vertically, but I can't figure it out.

>> No.609540

>>609446
morph keys always. you'd have to be insane to try and do soft body. you'll never get the collision, iteration or smoothing right.

>> No.609542

>>609539
you just align the verticies on an axis, using snapping

>> No.609543

>>608375
Use ambient occlusion?

>> No.609561

>>609507
Well how many materials could you possibly need for a donut?

>> No.609576

>>609507
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/editors/node_editor/nodes/groups.html

>> No.609577

>>609539
I think relaxing bottom vert would align it with the top vert

>> No.609626

>>609542
>on an axis
That's the issue, I could do it fine if it was on the one of the 3 default planes but it's at an angle to all 3 of them

>>609577
I'll try this

>> No.609654

got random artifacting on normal bakes in blender. why and how to fix? even with a cage I get this on simple test models

>> No.609656

>>609654
Probably a general issue with your methodology and not Blender itself, but unless you post examples of what you are seeing and what settings you are using, there’s not much that can be done to help you.

>> No.609657

Just started Blender.
I'm reading this book: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Blender-Graphics-Animation/dp/1498746454/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M428GSQFQVHY65K94PPS
Reading it to get the basics of Blender down and whatnot.
Since I'm used(and find it easier) to learning things from book, does someone know any more good books on Blender?

>> No.609659
File: 3.62 MB, 960x540, Little dude.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm making cute little things these days to get better at it. Just made this little dude today. Look at him go.

>> No.609660

>>609656
Ah I got it fixed, my ray distance was set to 1

>> No.609665
File: 1008 KB, 775x959, coppeecup.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>609659
nice looks nifty, I'm just starting out and tried making a dunkin cup.

I tried doing the high poly to low poly baking thing with normals and this cup is just below 500 poly which is probably still too high for what it is. It's also two pieces, the lid and the bottom, should models always be one continuous mesh or is having two separate meshes in a single object fine?

>> No.609667

>>609665
Multiple meshes in an object generally are fine

>> No.609677

>>609665
>donuts
Meta.

>> No.609697
File: 659 KB, 600x600, magica.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

followed a tutorial on this one. Topology is utter dogshit though. I use it as an example as how NOT to do things and why topology is important. Still pretty cool since i'm still getting the hang of things

>> No.609698

>>609697
topology doesn't matter on lowpoly characters.
but you should pay attention

>> No.609712

>>609665

Why are blendies so obssessed with donuts and donut related stuff?

>> No.609714
File: 212 KB, 1024x1321, ShowCover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else gone over this yet? Mine came in today, I really wanted something that could help me with Topology more because that shit has left me confused since all the tutorials I found don't actually explain shit but sort of just a "follow what I do" kind of thing.

>> No.609732

>>609714
Let us know how that book is anon! I've been debating buying it for a few weeks now

>> No.609733

>>609732
I will, I only started the first part of it, but it's kind of neat that it tells a bit of history about blender and the blender foundation.

>> No.609759
File: 27 KB, 672x631, ss (2018-03-02 at 12.24.29).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's with this weird shading when I Smooth shade the model? These faces are supposed to be flat. I've got surrounding geometry beveled and the mesh looks okay (i.e. no blatantly obvious issues). What's happening?

>> No.609760

Quick question, is there a way to give objects or faces a colour without assigning a material to them? Getting sick of grey but I don't want to clutter my scene up with 'red', 'slightly different red', etc.

>> No.609762

>>609760
Have you tried Matcap materials? The selector is only visible in Object Mode; it's near the bottom of the N toolbar under Shading. Otherwise, I don't know of a way to do that.

>> No.609771

>>609714
I just can't go through a course if the finished result looks bad.

>> No.609772

>>609759
Normals are fucked.

>> No.609793

Why isn't there a list of renderers in the sticky? I'm starting out and no idea what I need (I'm going to be doing interior design). Anyone got any suggestions?

>> No.609795

>>609793
for blender? well you should use cycles because its the most compatible renderer.
there is also vray and corona which give nice results in blender, but you have to buy them.
all the other free ones are outdated,haven't been updated in years

>> No.609802

>>609771
And that's why you're never going to make it in this business and with that outlook, you're already a failure.

>> No.609803

>>609802
I have plenty of courses at my disposal that are at least equally good. Stop projecting because your argument doesn't make any sense.

>> No.609806

>>609803
And how did your statement make any sense? You just like to bitch and moan, to bitch and moan? You contributed nothing to the conversation and instead now trying to make it seem like you said anything significant.

>> No.609811

>>609762
I guess. Just in Max, it's as simple as clicking the little square next to the object name and picking a colour. It only shows if there's no material.

>> No.609822

>>609806
I just answered the question and you decided to get offended by something and calling me a loser. Please.

>> No.609824

>>609772
Normals are fine and all are facing the same/proper direction.

>> No.609832

>>609824
Well I had an exactly the same problem once and it was because of the fucked up normals. It can usually be fixed by recalculating them afaik. It's a shading problem, is it not? What else could it be, possibly double faces? Your topology is possibly fugged, too. Other than that, idk, sorry.

>> No.609840

>>609759
>>609824
you need to use bevel i think

>> No.609849

>>609840
That's after beveling

>> No.609860

>>609849
i dunno then. are the vertices in that plane aligned? try redoing that section maybe

>> No.609864

>>609822
lmao you didn't answer anything. That was my point. You contributed nothing.

>> No.609865

>>609864
The guy asked if anyone checked out some book, I just replied why I didn't and don't want to, that's it. What is wrong with you? I didn't even want to have this pointless conversation with you, and yet here we are, spamming each other with useless toxic comments. Just fucking stop replying to me.

>> No.609876
File: 1.68 MB, 1920x1920, G409Xtr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you like the new Blender logo?

>> No.609878

>>609876
Nice job.

>> No.609886

>>609712
donuts and coffe at 4 am ARE kino

>> No.609889

>>609865
you're the one who didn't even need to say what you said. In no way, shape, or form did you say anything that mattered. Yet, here you are trying to defend the uselessness of your comment.

>> No.609890

>>609865
>The guy asked if anyone checked out some book, I just replied why I didn't and don't want to

>Not understanding the implicature of the question you “answered”; i.e., if anyone who has read the book can say anything about it

>> No.609897

>>609876

I want to fucking bite that logo

>> No.609905
File: 65 KB, 701x438, walk-with-dinosaurs-patchi-face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For a scaly skin shader will your standard subsurface scattering node setup for human skin work or should I do something different?

>> No.609906

>>609876

Fucking kek. That's more than fitting.

>> No.609931

>>609890
>>609889
I stated my opinion on the book regardless. Stop being autistic and jumping on me for 12 fucking hours just because I said something negative about your dear book. Jesus, why am I still browsing /3/...

>> No.609934

>>609771
If you can tell it's bad then you'll know not to make the same mistakes when modelling your own thing. It doesn't mean you can't learn something.

>> No.609936

>>609934
There is truth in that. But, maybe I'm wrong, but when I see a tutor whose work is not that good, I just can't bring myself to learn from him, when there are so many better alternatives that I won't even be able to go through all of them. I don't know, from my experience, and also from real life, it has been true. On the other hand, sometimes they are better teachers than guys who are great artists, so there's that. I also burned myself IRL with one class in which the tutor was fucking horrible and taught just a lot of bad habits, so I'm extra careful and somewhat biased about all of it. If this book is that good, there is no reason for me not to give it a chance, though.

>> No.610026

>>609931
Holy shit, I love how you're still trying to defend yourself. See, all you're doing is proving my point. And now you're backtracking and getting frustrated cause you painted yourself into a corner. Congrats man! Once again, you didn't contribute to the conversation. You stated an opinion that didn't matter and here you are trying to defend your ego and pride cause you're too dumb to admit defeat.

>> No.610036
File: 48 KB, 456x344, BNE Biggest fag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And once again, another Blender thread devolves into shitposting because neither side has anything better to do than win arguments on the internet, regardless of how right either side is, and regardless of how USEFUL the argument is.

FUCKING GET OVER YOURSELVES.

>> No.610050

>>610026
You win. Goodbye now.

>> No.610145

>>609759
I think it has something to do with the way the vertices are connected to the ones on the edges, show us the wireframe.

>> No.610198 [DELETED] 

>>610145
They're pretty bad.

>> No.610199
File: 24 KB, 368x360, ss (2018-03-04 at 10.41.20).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>610145
They're pretty bad.

>> No.610234

Does anybody wear any blender related apparel? Like a tshirt or something?

>> No.610243

>>610234
I only have a sticker on my laptop, also ordered the rocket.

>> No.610250

Is Eevee supposed to work like Marmoset? Will users be able to normally model and work in a viewport where everything is renderer at Marmoset/substance painter quality? If that is so, it will be pretty awesome.

>> No.610258

>>610199
Yup, that's the problem.
Maybe try changing the topology around add a bevel to the edges along the hole maybe.

>> No.610259
File: 40 KB, 736x360, 5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>610199
You should remove all the shit encircled with red, and then connect the edges inside the hole like the second pic, also add a bevel or something to the edges see if that fixes the problem.

>> No.610277

>>610250
>Will users be able to normally model and work in a viewport where everything is renderer at Marmoset/substance painter quality?
That’s the idea, yup. You can try the alpha builds, they are not really usable, but the demo Eevee projects show its potential quite well.

>> No.610317
File: 32 KB, 612x698, thirsty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how can i improve the texture?

>> No.610323
File: 5 KB, 469x107, Nalgene.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>610317
Well, for one, don't use what looks like MSPaint - a literal 10 seconds on Google and I have the actual logo

>> No.610325
File: 34 KB, 480x522, 1485234345617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>610199
holy fuck thats so bad

>> No.610327
File: 34 KB, 2385x2482, SLIME VECTOR SMALL.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't post here much but I posted a seal once that was a plushie. Here is a vector art looking piece that's of a pixel slime. I made this in 3D. None of this is drawn.
Do you think it's a neat little niche?

>> No.610328

>>610317
you can use stencil projection to place the logo

>> No.610408

>>609697
I'm literally following the same one

Kind of, I'm making my own character alongside it.

The tutorial's fucking great though despite her horrifying mic quality tho

>> No.610419

>>610408
Link please

>> No.610420

>>610419
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjB3Ao1tNxs&t=5s

enjoy anon

>>610408
i'd like to see what you make or at least hear about how it's going so far desu

>> No.610423

>>610323
understood, but i only have mspaint and wanted to test my UV unwrapping skills as possible so i used it. any tips for making your own textures?

>>610328

is stencil projection > manual uv unwrapping? never done it but looks interesting to check out imo

>> No.610425

>>610423
GIMP or InkScape are decent programs. GIMP is like Photoshop (raster images and picture editing) and InkScape is like Adobe Illustrator (vector art and graphics)

>> No.610438

>>610425
what about Krita or whatever it’s called?

>> No.610447

>>610438
Never heard of it before.
>Many people who develop .gif files use GIMP for making their .gifs and editing preexisting .gifs
Krita is used mainly for making illustrations and comics.
>GIMP has a basic, digital texture
>Krita give the experience of a paper-like texture
I've used GIMP for making masks and editing textures and it works well enough for me; don't know how Krita stacks up, but feel free to try and report back how it works.

>> No.610452

>>610438
I vouch for it. It has OCIO support, so you can integrate it with Blender and work with Filmic from Krita.

For example, I have just removed a few fireflies in a render using Krita, moving the file seamlessly from Blender to Krita and back.

>> No.610454

>>610438
>>610452
PS. Forgot to say, Krita allows you to work on files of 32 bitdepth, such as EXR. GIMP only manages 8 bitdepth files, if I recall correctly.

EXR is like a digital interpositive, you use it to bring renders, textures, etc., losslessly between programs, or to archive master renders, etc.

Bad (little) thing about Krita, for now, is that it won’t dither if you decide to export to PNG or a similar format from it. You can dither manually in Krita, but there’s also the option of loading the EXR in Blender and exporting to a final display format from there.

>> No.610466

>>610452
>>610454
okay so if i didn't understand a thing you've said then gimp should be the safest bet to start off withi presume?

>> No.610468

>>610466
GIMP is really easy to learn to use, Krita I don't know about but judging by never hearing about it in the past 7 years I would say it's probably not a beginner's tool (but I can't say for sure). You should be able to start drawing within 5-10 minutes of installing GIMP.

>> No.610478

>>606253
How can I use this burnt orange texture while modeling?

>> No.610479
File: 81 KB, 1800x639, thirsty2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

thoughts on this re-texture?

>> No.610492

>>610479
Add a subdivision modifier and you're good to go. One very minor complaint is lack of text on the mL/oz levels.

>> No.610501

>>610492
it already has the modifier applied.

>> No.610502

>>610501
Well, kick it up a notch

>> No.610503

>>610479
0/10 for those UVs desu

>> No.610508

>>610503
What could been done better? I dont see much how he could, maybe tighter packed

>> No.610509

>>610508
definitely better packed
so much empty wasted space

>> No.610521

>>610509
>better packed
>wasted space
Mate, it's all blue. If it were anything but a solid colour I'd agree with you but... what's better packing going to give here? More blue per area?

>> No.610522

Is there a way to move an object up to where it touches something else, and then stop?
Like if my donut is floating, can I press G, then Z, then something else, and if I drag it down it won't go any lower than my plate.
Or something like that.

>> No.610524
File: 10 KB, 248x211, ss (2018-03-05 at 09.40.35).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>610522
This is what you want. By default, it's set on Increment and holding CTRL turns it on, but the magnet icon toggles it.

>> No.610525

>>610524
I'm trying to drag it down on another object but it behaves like the bottom object is like rubber, so it just slows it down and makes it kinda bounce (allowing it to go through it a bit) instead of stopping it completely.
Is this normal?

>> No.610533

>>610525
You have to fiddle with the thing a bit, DESU. Maybe even go so far as to create a floating vertex at the exact location you want the surfaces to touch so it has something to snap to.

I'm sure there's probably a better way but unfortunately this is the best one I know, snapping has always been finicky for me in Blender.

>> No.610557
File: 23 KB, 947x594, ss (2018-03-06 at 12.52.33).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why won't the Pointiness output play nice? All I want is to highlight some edges and instead of making them nice and bright it fades out. Plus, it doesn't show other sharp edges at all for some reason. I've ColorRamped it to 0.534/0.550 so it should be picking them up but it just... isn't.

>> No.610560

>>610557
Pointiness actually appears to work on smooth edges, not pointy ones. Bevel your edges and used a subsurf mod if you can.

>> No.610561

>>610557
>>610560
Oh, also the material viewport display mode appears to render the effect incorrectly, so use render mode instead.

>> No.610563

>>610533
Thank you very much Anon.
I'll try to play with it more if that's the case.

>> No.610564

Does anybody have the latest 2.8 build? I want to know if import/export are working now. They don't work at all in my a couple of weeks old build.

>> No.610595
File: 432 KB, 981x477, Screenshot-2018-3-6 Scene Linear Painting - Krita Documentation.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>610466
If you intend to paint textures and use them in Blender, go with Krita. Gimp is oriented towards photo/image manipulation, and for that goal I’d pick Photoshop instead.

This may be a bit technical, but if you go down the rabbit hole you’ll surely find the benefits worth the study: https://docs.krita.org/Scene_Linear_Painting

>> No.610900

>>610521
>Mate, it's all blue
Then scale down the UVs to a single blue pixel, you dumdum.
Let the logo and other details have the texture space.

>> No.610913
File: 266 KB, 576x324, blendercg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

guess what i made

>> No.610920

>>610913
congrats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VxtGy0zwoc

>> No.610931

started making my first model today /3/. its not that good

>> No.610942

>>610920
It should have ended with a cue to Poliigon.

>> No.611028

>>610931

Of course it's not that good if you used blender. Unless you're planning on starting a donut designing carreer for dunkin donuts, there is no reason to use blender.

>> No.611036

>>611028
Have you watched Doctor Strange? I just did, it was on my backlog. I found it entertaining, though the VFX were a bit repetitive and not very original.

>> No.611037

>>611028
actually i plan on applying for dunkin donuts

>> No.611188

>>607372
7z or WinRar

>> No.611219

>>611188

Still not better than blender

>> No.611220

blender source tools are fucking broken for some reason when importing

>> No.611288

>>611220
What format you trying to import?

>> No.611291

>>609714
I know another Anon argued on this shit, but for reals, to the OP that was reading and bought this; how has this book been? It's on sale and I'm close to biting the bullet on it. How is the book???

>> No.611292

>>611291
The introduction to blender chapters are spot on, covering just about everything you would need. As for the actual modeling part I can't say for sure yet. as I just started it tonight since I've been busy with work.

>> No.611324

>>606253
I am working on some homework right now where I need to unwrap an axe and create a texture for it.

The problem for me isn't in unwrapping it. I have found a way to unwrap it without much stretching, but I am wondering what the most efficient way to place separate parts of it into their own UV islands.

Should I just create more seams to section them off, or is there just a way for me to select it and create a new UV island for it? What are the pros and cons of using more seams?

>> No.611325

>>611324
the best way to unwrap stuff (for me) is to unwrap one island at a time, with this method i have full control on the resolution and size. but be careful to not miss any island. i usually select the island by pointing the mouse over and clicking "L".
>What are the pros and cons of using more seams?
that's a good question. ideally you want to use less seams as possible, the downside is that with less seams there is more possibility of warped and twisted UV shells. with more seams you get less twist and warp, but more islands by the number, which is ok to a certain extent.
you simply have to be careful with marking large areas. you can also relax your shell by using the relax function (ctrl v)

>> No.611379

>>607372
just change the file extension then you retard.

>> No.611387
File: 241 KB, 1920x1200, Screenshot_2018-03-11_21-58-36.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.611418

>>611387
Try Sculpt it and retopo instead, when youre done post results, i wana see nice dick

>> No.611518
File: 302 KB, 1979x805, closeenough.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Learning blender and just sort of trying to copy images from google, how's it look? I'm running into the issue of having no real good textures. Does anyone know of a free or good paid library?
(its the left one)

>> No.611519
File: 368 KB, 1920x1080, Battlefield5assestSneakPeak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I started with blender about 2 hours ago and I've already managed to create a masterpiece. Now here's my question: I want to import this into Yunity and make the turrent rotate around the red axies, and the turretturret rotate around the yellow axis. Do I have to create rotation points or something like that in Blender before I export the file? Because as of right now I'm sure unity can only see a tank-shaped rock and wouldn't tell turret from chassis.

>> No.611523

>>611518
CGtextures / textures.com is a pretty useful one. You're pretty much limited to 1024x1024 textures for free, which sucks, but they're at least decently high quality and it's better than nothing.

>> No.611527

>>611519
you can do all the rotations in unity

>> No.611528

>>611518
you could do the whole thing without textures, with procedurals. but it requires advanced knowledge in cycles.
if you find a texture that fancys you, use it

>> No.611535

>>611518
Nice work on replicating the reference. I dig it!

>> No.611544

>>611527
cool

>> No.611960
File: 848 KB, 1997x743, screwdriver.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>611535
thanks, I'm working on this thing now but I'm having trouble making a Phillips tip. I tried making it all one continuous mesh but can't seem to make that happen when I got the tip so I just made it a flat head. For objects that are meant to just be renders it is okay to have them made of different objects instead of one continuous mesh?

Also I'm having trouble trying to make low poly retopos of high poly objects. If I understand it right the idea to almost trace the shape of your high poly object. I keep getting weird bakes that either have details missing or adding details where there shouldn't be any. I haven't been using a cage, and had bias set to like .005. What's the proper way to set up a cage?

>> No.611999

>>611960
last time i modeled a screwdriver.
i made the tip first then bridged it with a lowpoly cylinder, it created some tris but it looks seamless

>> No.612164

What the Hell is the true difference between Blender Render and Blender Cycles? Is the main difference being that Cycles allows you to render in real time?

I'm working my way through a tutorial about both, but they haven't spoke about what all of the differences between the two are; however, it seems like using nodes will allow me to quickly build my scene.

Is Blender Cycles good for creating low-poly models for games and stuff, or is it mainly used for scenes where lighting information needs to be baked in?

>> No.612168

>>612164
blender render is an older render engine that is calculating light and shadow by approximation,meaning its trying to calculate where light and shadow will be based on arbitary configuration.
cycles is a physical raytracer that sends rays from the camera to your scene and samples an image based on the settings.
if you want to create lowpoly characters, i suggest you stick only to blender render,its easier to configure the textures and you can view your model in realtime without having to use rendered mode

>> No.612169

>>612168
i should also point out that blender render is geared more towards npr and cartoons and cycles is more for realism

>> No.612191

>>612169
>>612168
Super helpful, thanks!
To add, I notice that modifiers are crucial for quickly modeling objects, but would the modifiers that I've created for objects in my scene show up if I were to export to models to a program like Unity?

>> No.612192

>>612191
some of them will, some don't.
if you apply the modifiers before export, it should work

>> No.612211

>>612169
Blender render is geared towards being broken and outdated by '90s standards and Cycles is more for noise.

>> No.612215

>>612211
your mom is geared towards being broken and outdated

>> No.612217

Heya, I'm pretty good at hard surface modeling but I'm looking into getting into character modeling. Should I just download Zbrush or try to use Blender's sculpt tools?

>> No.612218

>>612215
good one
>>612217
Zbrush

>> No.612235
File: 125 KB, 960x540, shotgun.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

working on this, it's sorta close to my reference so far but for some things I'm just glancing at other images of shotguns and sort of just adding ideas from them.

>> No.612241

>>612235
The magazine tube and bore look a bit far apart/thin, the front sight is a type I've never seen before, and the part where the barrel meets the receiver shouldn't narrow down (I might be wrong about that last one since I don't know what reference you're using, but AFAIK the narrowing is only for necked-down cartridges, not cylindrical ones)

>> No.612243

>>612217
Blender is free and the sculpting side is easy to get into. Can't hurt to try that first.

>> No.612244

>>612168
>>612169
Are there ways to make cycles quicker without the noise? I'm going more for the simplistic cartoon style but only Cycles can render 360 panoramics.

>> No.612245

is cycles faster than blender render if i'm only rendering shadeless materials?
there's going to be no lighting in the (animated) scene at all

>> No.612258

>>609539
What I would do is set the active element as the pivot point, then select the edges you want to align and make sure the last one you click is the one you want to align the rest with, then scale to zero in whatever is the correct axis.

>> No.612259

>>609539
>>612258
Wait fuck I didn't notice that the mesh was at an angle, my bad.

>> No.612260

>>609760
>>609811
You mean viewport color?

>> No.612262

>>612244
There is a denoiser option in the scene tab and if you are doing NPR you can probably get away with setting the light paths to direct lighting, which is found in the render tab.

>> No.612265

>>612262
Oh another thing, if you want you could just use emissive materials in cycles which is like shadeless materials in Blender internal renderer. Emissive materials render very quickly and cleanly.

>> No.612271
File: 256 KB, 750x750, Biko.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>608546
They just don't want their software to die out. If Blender becomes the industry standard, then all the money they blew on other programs becomes wasted, and several other software companies will be in danger. I actually feel like the anti-Blender shitposters are just falseflag marketers most of the time, desperately trying to save their soon-to-be dead product.
Honestly, these other companies should just get with the times. Make a cheap subscription mode, or just make their stuff free for personal use.

>>609157
Make sure to save the node group so that you don't have to do it again.

>>609697
I remember this tutorial, though I never completed it. I wound up finding my own workflow for modeling cartoon bodies.

>> No.612275

>>612271
>If Blender becomes the industry standard
That won't happen. Too many different interests at play. But at least Blender keeps the prices somewhat grounded.
Specialized tools will be expensive as always. But no company can demand 50000$ for their tools, unless they are so special that they bring that amount of investment back, which would make them very niche.

>> No.612280

how do i set freestyle to maintain the stroke thickness despite camera movement (camera animation)? not even sure how to explain it, but right now the strokes get thicker when the camera dollies away from the object
it looks like it has something to do with the "distance from camera" modifier, but i can't wrap my head around where to place it in the modifier stack, and how to manage the range parameters if the camera is going to move

>> No.612303

>>612275
If Blender ever starts to seriously compete with Maya and Max, Autodesk will lower its prices.

>> No.612305

>>612245
>is cycles faster than blender render if i'm only rendering shadeless materials?
no.
>>612280
maybe try this, and parent it to the original mesh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss04Dx93Qn0

>> No.612307

>>612303
uhhh, it kinda already has. You can download any autodesk product for free as a student version. You just lie about what university you're from. It's even easier to pirate maya and max than ever before. Pirating Autodesk is the visual equivalent of FL Studio.

Autodesk makes it very accessible now to pirate/download student versions; because then they can charge a fuckton of money for licenses for businesses. They're not dumb. Look at Adobe. They know they have the market by the balls. They know they are on top. By making it easy and super accessible to get their programs means that even that small window of what blender has done, has made them change directions as a company.

Not to argue that they're not going anywhere or that any time soon, Blender is going to be the king. lmao, I'm not trying to say that stupid shit. But realistically, they have already changed their business model a little because of Blender.

>> No.612311
File: 58 KB, 740x260, m4-tactical-shotgun-pistol-12-gauge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>612235
thanks for the feedback I'll tweak it, I'm using this as my reference

>> No.612325

>>612311
>>612241
You're doing a pretty good job of sticking to your reference. What I would do at this point is see if you can add this image to your viewport as a reference image and view your model from the right profile to see where the mis-match is. Seems like the barrel narrowing is just over a longer distance than I had thought, and the sight really is something I've never seen before. Instead of changing the distance between the magazine tube and barrel (since they really do look a bit thin) I think it would be easier to scale them up rather than change all the receiver/etc. geometry you have. GL.

>> No.612331

>>612307
>Look at Adobe.
Kinda off-topic, but you cannot be more right. A couple days ago I decided to get Lightroom/Photoshop, seeking to try out photogrammetry, and, holy cow, CCMaker is unbelievable. It downloads, installs, and “activates” the software (any software from Adobe CC) all in one go.

It appeared on some Russian forum, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was developed by Adobe themselves.

>> No.612345

>>612307

kek Image Line absolutely hate pirates, almost as much as The Foundry do.

>> No.612350

>>612260
Looked it up but you still have to make a material for it. I guess I just have to name things early.

>> No.612375

>>612271
How do you get this shadeless, black outline on models? I've seen it before but I don't know the what that effect is called

>> No.612385

>>612345
I’m a pirate and I also hate pirates, because they might pirate my shit. It may seem contradictory but it doesn’t matter, because I’m a pirate, and a pirate is free.

>> No.612387

>>612375
Look into NPR (non-photorealistic rendering). In Blender, it’s achieved in great part by using the Toon shader and Freestyle.

>> No.612479
File: 213 KB, 1915x1787, topology.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I got more time to work on this and I'm fairly new to modeling but is this topology bad? I wanted to try and keep pieces connected but I ran into issues making some of the details and just came out with this so far. I just want to use this for rendering purposes. When I apply a smooth mod to it, it appears to look alright but I'm not sure if I trust my eyes I've been looking at this for a while. I noticed I have a habit of probably adding edges where I might not need them.

>> No.612615
File: 2.85 MB, 670x335, 2000-2300.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is Voxel Heat Diffuse Skinning a good addon?

https://www.blendermarket.com/products/voxel-heat-diffuse-skinning

>> No.612749

EEVEE looks pretty damn nice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9p3Xd_CO-8

>> No.612750

Will all the 2.79 and below scripts break upon the launch of 2.8?

>> No.612752

>>612750
No. Most of them should work just fine. Only couple of things like OpenGL drawing changes https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/OpenGL

>> No.612753

>>612750
plus this https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/Python/UpdatingScripts

>> No.612754

All of the materials are emissions. Then I rendered with freestyle. It's pretty simple.
If you want it in real time, you just do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4T1cDJryOI

Doing this does mess up my renders though.

>> No.612756

>>612754
Meant for
>>612375

>> No.613015

So eevee is supposed to be real time rendering, does that means I render and animation way faster than cycles?

>> No.613017

>>613015
it depends, if you have particle systems and sss material then cycles is better visually.
but for material + texture workflow realtime is faster

>> No.613038

>>612271
this looks great anon

>> No.613067
File: 82 KB, 798x417, Pushbutton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm having a bit of an issue rendering something and don't know quite what to look for. I want to make a semi-transparent pushbutton like in pic related, but mine show up almost completely dark - no light is getting through to shine on the inner surface, so it's rendering black. I'm using two objects, the plastic case/top and the inner object/label. I'm almost certain there was a tutorial on this but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

>> No.613077

>>613067
The top case should probably have subsurface scattering on it's material. You can also increase the transparent raycast samples in the render settings.

>> No.613098
File: 3.87 MB, 2130x1065, render1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

trying to fart out a scene working from a reference image. I tried using BLAM and drawing sight lines but it never seems to work right so I just started modeling. Still have more to model but here's what I got so far. I also don't really have textures so I'm settling with polligon's 1k stuff

>> No.613133

How do you texture paint specular maps in cycles?

>> No.613134
File: 55 KB, 926x601, 2018-03-22 06_17_55-Blender.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>613133
you add texture paint slot
can also be added through the texture stack

>> No.613140

>>613077
I can't seem to make SSS work for that (only the edges become clear) and increasing the samples doesn't help, unfortunately.

>> No.613153

Tried 2.8. Feels kinda messed up. Kinda forced Left Click select because right clicked is forced to be the "Action Tool". Eevee doesn't even have wireframe or solid mode. Can't even apply texture to a diffuse material. Not really sure how experimental this is, but right now I'd rather stay with 2.79 until it's updated to at least 2.85.

>> No.613154

>>613153
It will still take a while... Nothing surprising there. I'm glad we're at least able to try out some of the new features before they are released.

In the meantime, 3DS Max released 2019 version and it couldn't be more boring. Won't even bother updating.

>> No.613159 [DELETED] 
File: 125 KB, 950x623, 456564564654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i want to model my favorite bird, any tips how to approach?

>> No.613160 [DELETED] 

Is the Terrain in Unity built-in into the engine or just a scripted component? I'd like to experiment on making my own terrain component. I feel a little bit scared re-doing built-in functionality, but that's what Unity is encouraging with their scripting capabities right? Just want to do this because I have fun scripting things like this.

>> No.613167

>>613067
Mix a translucency shader with a transparency shader. You could also experiment with using volume absorption and volume scatter added together. Make sure you have your light paths set up to full global illumination, not sure if that will help or not but it's best to do so. Also, you could if you need to simply disable shadows on the button, that will prevent the inside being dark. You can also disable shadow rays in the material using the light paths node and mixing the material with a transparency node. Also, keep in mind that the inside part of the button in your image is white and therefore easy to make out. Darker elements are going to be harder to make out.

This is a difficult material to make look good, so good luck to you.

>> No.613168

>>613153
It's not meant for production at all. It isn't even in beta yet.

It probably won't even release until next year.

>> No.613172

>>613067
Just tried it and it works just fine when you make the outside somewhat transparent and then place an emission object inside. Can you show your material settings?

>> No.613173
File: 171 KB, 1245x593, 514bdaca99de57147eb8c8490d20bad4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>606253
What's this green shit? The model was originally a obj made with Maya. Looks weird when i subdivide it. How do i remove it in blender?

>> No.613174

>>613173
Sharp edges in blender
>Ctrl E >Clear Sharp

>> No.613177

>>613174
Thanks anon.

>> No.613179

So is CGCookie the best way to learn Blender?

>> No.613198

>>613179
It's okay. Use multiple learning sources.

>> No.613210
File: 12 KB, 240x240, andrew price.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>613198
Blender Guru?

>> No.613214
File: 1.83 MB, 200x200, hellyeah.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>613210
No. Polycount.

>> No.613217

>>613210
>>613214
BG's fine, what are you talking about? Speaks a hell of a lot clearer and easier to follow than most others, too.

>> No.613224

>>613217
To be fair if you're not a fan of the whole
>and now we're gonna get all of the materials from my own site :^)
thing I can understand not liking BG.

>> No.613227

>>613217
the only thing i would buy from BG is architecture academy because i suck at interiors, also it would be nice if i get some archviz textures with it.
but for anything else id go with CGC, even if they are expensive

>> No.613250

>>606253
What's the best way to fucking learn all of these things about Blender? I'm watching these videos detailing about the use of junctions in quads and stuff, but I always struggle whenever it comes to me applying stuff from the video tutorials into stuff that I want to do.

Is there a website that just tells me to create certain objects based off of skill level, so I guess that way I can put all of this information I am learning into muscle memory?

Should I take notes on the stuff that I am learning from videos?

>> No.613252

>>613250
give us an example
i think borncg have the fundamental info

>> No.613253

Should I be using principled shaders in Cycles?

>> No.613263

>>613253
yes, why not?

>> No.613264

>>613263
Longer renders

>> No.613273

>>613252
I don't know.. I guess I'm just struggling with the terminology. Like an edge loop and an edge ring sound like the same exact thing to me, but they're not.

Is the difference being that edge rings need to end at triangles or n-gons, and edge loops need to end at poles?

>> No.613275

>>613273
never heard of edge rings

any cylindrical object can end in triangles or ngon. its mostly because its a convenient way to top off anything with a large amount of edges flowing to it

>> No.613277

>>613263
It just seems so simple compared to what I used to do with building my own node trees. I didn't know if it was actually the end all be all or if I was getting pranked and there was something better.

>> No.613278

Is there a way I can find my last saved render image location? I fucking forgot where I saved that shit.

>> No.613288
File: 31 KB, 680x680, notblenderguru.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>613224
>mfw nothing recent from Poliigon is on cgpeers

>> No.613291
File: 193 KB, 960x1620, reference.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>613273
Edge ring.
Edge loops.
Face loop.

>> No.613319

CGCookie now allow you to download videos on the monthly plan. Just get that, download everything and be done with.

They do weekly livestreams now too.

>> No.613326

>>613277
yes, its supposed to be simple.
actually the fact that we have metallic and specular nodes is out of this world.
every other shader (other than glass) is obsolete

>> No.613432

How do i change Display Mode in the File Browser to Thumbnails as it's default? Every time i open it i have to switch from Short List to Thumbnails and it's kind of annoying.

>> No.613502
File: 11 KB, 343x345, 1497381151262.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>use a bigger brush to quickly lay out some basic colors
>tons of ugly and SHARK borders in the paint where the rounded parts clipped off the brush
>overpaint the line but of course it stays visible because you can't always paint with 100% opaque brushes

What are some good settings to make it smooth instead of a hard line where the brush doesn't reach on the model?

>> No.613503

>>613502
*sharp borders

glad those aren't sharks yet though

>> No.613574
File: 1.74 MB, 1920x1080, mushroom.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Workin on a simple mushroom scene but I can't seem to find any mushroom textures anywhere, and I'm trying to make some moss using hair but it looks like it's floating in some spots.

>> No.613671

How the fuck do I taper an object in this shit program?

>> No.613686

>>613671
Lattices, proportional editing

>> No.614029
File: 56 KB, 890x662, 2345236723.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I reset the origin point to the middle of my object? I normally could just set it to the median, but since I am using an array modifier with it with an object offset it messes everything up. I really just want to set the 3D cursor to the middle of it, but I can't since it just moves to the origin that's sitting above it.

>> No.614158
File: 21 KB, 535x145, blendy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm trying eevee (sort of) but it immediately crashes the driver. Is there any fix for this on an amd gpu?

>> No.614165

>>614158
Ahh shit, found out the eevee doesn't support FBX models, that was the reason.

>> No.614189

>>614029
Tab to enter edit mode, 'A' to select everything, and then hit 'shift - S' and select Cursor to Selected. To reset the origin to the center, which the 3D cursor is now on, you can exit edit mode with Tab, and then press 'T' for the left control panel. Now click "set origin" and select 'Origin to 3D cursor'.

>> No.614214
File: 106 KB, 790x766, Unwrap.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any suggestion on how to get this absolute mess rectangular? Yes, I know that's an absurd amount of vertices, but I'm relatively sure I need them all. TexTools "rectify" breaks, so that's out. The shape of the object is a highly ridged, slightly tapered cylinder.

>> No.614261
File: 2.78 MB, 4032x2268, 20180328_051813.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ok, so I started taking Blender seriously as a hobby 2 weeks ago. I try to do a daily or bi-daily project of various house items that are fairly simple to get used to things, but yesterday this stumped me. The hairdrier is basically a tube extruded from an elongated cylinder, with a handle, but this handle has sort of a 'lip' that surrounds most of the back. Just how would I create this shape, and have it equidistant from the walls of the sphereical back-side of the Hairdrier? Any advice or tutorials would help.

>> No.614335

>>614261
Worst answer you can get but best one I can give: "Just try it". Unless you start, you can't really know where exactly you'll run into issues, and by the time you do, you'll have a better idea of what to do.

Slightly better answer: You don't necessarily need to make everything 100% accurate. Try starting with an elongated hollow sphere and pushing the edges further back (toward where it narrows), that should hopefully get you started.

>> No.614351
File: 175 KB, 1920x1920, ref.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>614261
>Just how would I create this shape, and have it equidistant from the walls of the sphereical back-side of the Hairdrier?
Select the faces that you want to wrap on, duplicate them, separate the duplicates as a new object, edit this object, select all its faces, scale them along their normals (Alt+S).

>> No.614352

>>614261
>>614351
Sorry, I missed a step. After editing the duplicate faces, _extrude them, cancel the move_, and then scale them.

>> No.614366

>>614214
first explain why you need that many faces. Having less would make doing this easier.

>> No.614367
File: 55 KB, 633x617, Res.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>614366
I need the definition or otherwise it won't subdivide properly. I created this by using two curves and using one as the bevel object for the other - there's 60 copies of this geometry.

>> No.614381

>>614367
Maybe you can do with texturing just a big enough patch of them?

>> No.614411
File: 140 KB, 811x728, Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 10.00.57 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>614351
>>614352
Thankyou so much. With your help I was able to figure it out - and now I will probably always remember this strat. Here's progress tonight for thread.

>> No.614413
File: 107 KB, 782x571, Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 10.08.40 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>614411
better angle of the problem part. Was almost jumping when it looked like my reference.

>> No.614571
File: 184 KB, 905x615, Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 7.34.10 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's hard to get used to how slow this board is. Progress update for anyone who cares

>> No.614572
File: 144 KB, 573x565, Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 7.35.39 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

and the back

>> No.614581

>>614571
>>614572
Looks pretty good so far. Yeah, /3/ is pretty slow unfortunately, but you can get some useful tips once in a while.

>> No.614769
File: 114 KB, 607x339, Screenshot-2018-3-30 Heikkila_Elisabet pdf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How to do that?

>> No.614770

>>614769
i mean merge edges

>> No.614952

>>614769
>>614770
Select two vertices and hit ALT-M

>> No.615406

/new/
>>615405
>>615405