[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 104 KB, 1920x1080, vrsculpt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
602488 No.602488 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any VR sculpting applications that aren't complete piss yet? Tiltbrush/Quill aren't useful for obvious reasons, Medium comes close to the ideal of being able to reach out and manipulate/pull voxels out of thin air while having precise control over the 3D space but it's missing too many tools (the only tools that work on the sculpt's surface instead of creating voxels are the smooth and color tools as far as I can tell), not sure what MasterpieceVR is like but I'm not going in on anything unless I know it at least tries to be useful for more than just doodling.

>> No.602493

i believe you can't work in VR until we get 5 times better screens than what we have now

>> No.602498

Oculus Medium isn't really more than a fun toy atm.

>> No.602502

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVJp74kMR14

>> No.602503

>>602493
1. I think the Oculus is clear enough at the moment, if you keep the sculpt the right distance away and scale it instead of leaning in you can see it pretty well.
2. Wouldn't be finishing the sculpt in VR anyway, and current displays are perfectly fine for working on block-outs.

I'd imagine both Valve and Oculus are working on clearer/higher fov displays behind the scenes, I'd give it 3-5 years though since both companies seem to be prioritizing getting rid of the wire for their next model.

>> No.602509

>>602502
That looks legit, but it's $30 a month just to use more than 4 layers? Don't see any mention of organic sculpting either but the spline stuff it has going on is something I'd definitely be able to make use of.

>> No.602541

>>602488
>>602502
Just the thought of working 12 hours a day like that makes me sick to my stomach.

>> No.602623

>>602503
look up Vive Pro
they upped the screen res, improved fit and headband, added headphones, and consolidated the wires into one cable with a wireless adapter coming soon (or you can still use TPCast with it afaik)

sadly it's still not at the point where you can do proper 3D in VR but I think it's mainly because the software doesn't exist yet, I think the hardware is advanced enough to support it now. Any further improvements to screen res are limited by graphics processing power so until Nvidia/AMD can improve their cards or we get better coding for efficient multi-gpu setups then HTC and Oculus are basically limited to making the headsets lighter, more comfortable, and wireless.

Hopefully stuff like foveated rendering can solve that issue but again that's software development not hardware.

>> No.602666

>>602488
there are rumors that Pixologic is working on VR window for Z

>> No.602669

>>602666
I'd really rather not even try to imagine how uncomfortable ZBrush's weird perspective warping would be in VR

>> No.602670

>>602666
I wonder how they'll get it to work given that ZBrush renders everything in 2D.

>>602669
You mean the default orthographic view or when you switch into perspective mode?

>> No.602745

>>602670
The actual perspective mode. They'd definitely have to build a new renderer to make it comfortable.