[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 3.41 MB, 1920x1432, cyberpunk_alley_render_by_wakpan-dbl8kbi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
598951 No.598951 [Reply] [Original]

Also should i keep doing 3d stuff in blender or invest time in learning different software?

>> No.598956

>>598951

Needs to be darker. I can still see details.

>> No.598961

It's getting there. Could be darker if you used path tracing a bit more aggressively.

>> No.598966

>>598951

old school rpg intro movie/10

>> No.598968
File: 88 KB, 900x720, fellowkids.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>598951
Another beautiful example of how - regardless of technical proficiency level - the average 3tard totally lacks any and all traditional image making skills.
Who needs to know about proportion when you can use Substance Painter?
Why bother learning composition - knowing how to use particle effects is way more important.
Generating interesting subject matter is for fags - real art skills are knowing how to leverage instanced hi-poly workflows and stuff like that.
Am I right or am I right, fellow kids?

>>pic related
This is how I feel when I occasionally check in round here and then see your work.

>> No.598970

>>598951
Apparently you're still asking for feedback on an image you finished and posted in August.
https://wakpan.deviantart.com/art/Cyberpunk-alley-render-700799454

>Posts image
>Does almost nothing for 4 months
>Asks if he should learn another application

Your problem is not software related.

>> No.598982

>>598970
Aw c'mon i had to take a long break from 3d and all i wanted was some tips/critique.

>> No.599010

>>598968
The composition is meh, but I like inconsistent proportions like this, it makes it look like someone made a set using random toys.

>> No.599014

>>598982
You can model, texture and render decently. So let's not concern ourselves with those for now.

The two (three?) areas you need to focus on are composition, design, and maybe lighting.

Composition because your render has none. The focal point is unclear and barely identified (I'm assuming it's the central shop with the bike, but there's no direct light on it, no areas of high contrast, just a couple neon lights that are competing with many more randomly placed lights). Your scene lacks depth - you're basically showcasing a wall with a vanishing point to the left. Lines don't support or frame your composition, but rather veer off the shot in awkward tangents (and why the hell is there a single area of high contrast and unique colors right in one of the corners of the image, being cut off by the frame?)

The design is pretty blando. It's scifi cause it has metal and 45 degree angles. It's cyberpunk cause it has neons and chinese characters. Wow.

You can improve your design by developing a more original and tailored visual language. Look at a film like Blade Runner. What kind of shapes, materials, and colors are used most throughout the film? Through a scene? What is its architecture inspired from? Same for something like the mech designs of Ghost in the Shell. Are some shapes used more than others? Are some omitted completely? Why?
Look at the work of two artists (say, Tor Frick and Vitaly Bulgarov, and notice how their shape language is completely different and allows them to create sci-fi objects that reflect their own, visually distinct styles.)

Lighting kinda comes with composition. As you practice composing better shots you'll find you need specific lighting to match, since lighting is simply a tool you use to create moods and direct the viewer.

>> No.599015

>>598982
Also, an artist I've recently found to be very useful for learning design is Alex Senechal.

https://www.gameartinstitute.com/p/hard-surface-design-alex-senechal-value-1

The guy gave a lecture on hard surface design, the first few hours of which are available online for free. He breaks down design in very technical, easily-applicable concepts, and it's a great way to demystify something which is often very hard to grasp for newcomers.

>> No.599016
File: 41 KB, 470x470, 1510024762592.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>598968
truth be told, 99% of everything posted on this board is cringeworthy trash (this thread included) and pointless software debates

you have really high expectations if you think you're ever gonna see images with careful composition or any nuanced visual quality here.. after all, most posts relate to "waifus", "faggots", and "muh blender", not any actual artistic discussion

I personally keep coming around just to have a good laugh

>> No.599017

>>598982
>>599014
>You can model, texture and render decently
Incorrect. Modeling is basic and hard to read, texturing is atrocious, and render looks like a Playstation cutscene.

Though indeed the composition, lighting, and concept (what you call "design") are really bad too.

Based on OP's image, I'd say a solid 2 years of practice and learning will be needed before any real decent work is achieved.

>> No.599019

>>599017
I disagree - it looks bad because it's badly lit, but he's actually got *some* material definition going on.

Is there improvement to be made on these fronts? From an objective point of view, surely, but there's no use trying to push these areas when there are bigger, easier to compensate lacks in others.

>> No.599077

>>598951
what is supposed to be interesting about this, Why not figure out a reason for your renders before you move into a different software.

>> No.599085

>>599077
>what is supposed to be interesting about this

probably the cyberpunk hookers he was going to put in the big blank space in the middle before he got bored and gave up

>> No.599088
File: 53 KB, 438x438, 55-boomer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>598968
>uses well-known meme as pic
>has the actual name of the meme as title
>namedrops the meme
>still feels the need to call attention to it
>actually goes and explains the picture
>still gets it wrong
When will you "people" learn

>> No.599105
File: 29 KB, 273x398, can-i-has-cheezburger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>599088
>uses well-known meme as pic
thats how memes work fucktard, by definition a meme is something easily recognizable as part of culture

>> No.599134

>>599014
>You can model, texture and render decently. So let's not concern ourselves with those for now.

Ahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Woah. Actual tears there. Thanks dude - I needed that.

>> No.599135

>>599016
>I personally keep coming around just to have a good laugh

Oh for sure - but speaking as someone who has been sweating fucking blood for the last 2 years trying to become a better artist its like.... you know that thing we all do where we absent-mindedly just assume everyone we speak to on the internet is like us? Well, I evidently keep doing that because whenever I see actual 'work' get posted round here its always kind of a wake up call.
I shouldn't get involved.

>> No.599139

>>598951
you might find maya interesting

>> No.599181

Damn i got fucked in the ass here by most of you, thanks for the tips tho. I think it's time to watch some tutorials on youtube. I'll play around in blender a little bit more and i'll try maya. But i'll focus on characters now. Im tired of 3d scenes xd

>> No.599182

>>599077
You're right it's boring. I'm lazy when it comes to adding something interesting to my work. Usually i'll work a little bit on something and for me, bam its finished. I've made this in two days in my free time i think. I should put some more time and creativity into it.

>> No.599183

>>599015
Thank you :D i'll definitely check this out.

>> No.599184

>>599134
Can i see example of your work please?

>> No.599188

>>599134
Somebody's feeling insecure

>> No.599213

>>599135
nah man keep getting involved, no doubt it keeps you grounded on your own skills vs others (assuming you visit other forums or portfolio pages like artstation and shit)
2 years of hard work will pay off for sure, keep it up

>> No.599240

>>599184
You see where someone reverse image searched your post and now we can all see your deviantart profile? Well, for you it doesn't matter because you're either a kid and/or just starting out - either way, you're a long-ass way from employment.

Well I won't go into specifics, but for me it's a bit different - so no, I will not be posting searchable images on here. Thanks for the offer though.

>> No.599241

>>599240
If you know that im just a beginner why are you being a cunt? It's like laughing at a fat guy at the gym.

>> No.599243

>>599241
Ok, I might have been a bit of a cunt, so brace yourselves here for /3/ first.... i apologise for being a bit of a cunt.
Now... fuck off and do some fucking work, grow a thicker fucking skin and stop fucking obsessing over what fucking software you use because - for the last fucking time - IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT SOFTWARE YOU USE AS LONG AS YOU APPLY EFFORT.
And no, that wasn't being a cunt that time. That was just truth.

>> No.599246

>>599241
Seems to me it was more like laughing at a fat guy who went to the gym a few months ago, disappeared and came back and is wondering why he's still fat.
Lack of effort is your issue. Not the equipment.
>Why are you being a cunt
Welcome to 4chan, learn to shift through shit for the occasional good piece of information.
>>598982
>had to take a long break from 3D and I wanted some tips/critique
TIP: Get back to work
Critique: Re-evaluate your interest in 3D if you can't seem to find time to do it for such long periods of time. If you truly wish to continue in 3D this re-evaluation will only drive you to get better.

>> No.599247

>>599241
There's some weirdo that gets mad at beginners on /3/ that lurks threads, I hope he checks out some other places like /r/blender or the comments section of an intro SFM tutorial, then he'll realize /3/'s noobs are leagues better than most of the plebs.

Anyway, you should try a bunch of different software (Maya, Max, Modo, C4D, eventually Houdini) and find one you like. I tried Max, Maya, Wings3D, and finally settled on Blender; somehow it just clicked with me.
Like 90% of what you learn is transferable to the point where you can watch tutorials for other programs, or watch somebody like Tor Frick use softimage (before he switched to Modo) and still pick things up. That 10% is software specific stuff; the tricks, the gotchas, the ins and outs, the hidden features and interactions that speed up work that you only learn about from watching tons of tutorials in that software and compiling tricks. Even then, you can almost always google "how do I [blender tool] in [maya]?" or "how do I [c4d method] in [modo]?" and it's going to be on Stack Exchange.

Getting bogged down with "what's the best [software, technique, workflow, etc]?" is beginner shit. The best is what you're fastest at, what you're most used to, what the people you work with know how to do. It's how a piece of software becomes "industry standard" even though it's not actually "the best".

>> No.599249

I think some of you are too hard on that guy. There's much worse work posted here and you don't attack people like that. OP, all your scenes I've seen on DeviantArt are too dark, it could be that it's because of your display, so you can't tell. Be sure to test it on different devices if you can, tablets, phones etc. Lighting is a huge thing and now assholes think your work is even worse because you failed to present it nicely. Check out BlenderGuru on YT and go through his videos. He had some nice long videos on lighting and composition you should check out.

That old town scene looks nice to me, but I too can't see very well the details and textures because it is too dark. Seems like you'd need to work on your texturing a lot since it does look old-school. Definitely try Substance painter and designer for that. Just by using default textures from painter, you'll get good results. But saying you're far from a job-ready is a bit too much, me thinks. It's not THAT bad.

And as others have said, try out a bunch of different software, you MUST NOT get invested so much in one and only thing because you will have to learn and adapt all the time anyway. You could produce great stuff with Blender as well, if you know what you're doing. You still haven't achieved it's full potential yet. And don't get down because of some people here, but we all do have to have a thick skin in creative fields and escape from our egos.

>> No.599252

>>599249
Also a big tip - use references, that will help you choose the right colors and intensity of the lighting. Always have some pro work side-by-side, analyse it and compare with your work. That's the best way to improve fast. A couple of days is nothing, invest more time into it. Make sure to keep your eyes fresh, because if you keep tweaking and working on something for too long you won't be able to look at it realistically anymore. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to your lighting. You keep tweaking it and want to make it darker and more atmospheric, but you fail to realize it's now so dark that a person who is viewing it for the first time won't be able to see anything. Make pauses and look at other works in the mean time. When you get back you'll notice the problems with your scenes more easily.

>> No.599253

>>599247
>>>599241 #
>There's some weirdo that gets mad at beginners on /3/ that lurks threads

If he lurks, how the fuck do you know that he's getting mad at anyone? You telepathic or something?

>> No.599254

>>599247
>Try all the softwares
>tfw I haven't done this since XSI was still in active development
I've heard great shit about modo, though never cared enough to go try it.

>> No.599255

>>599254
I gave modo a shot about 6 months ago - it was fine but absolutely not worth giving up the 5-6000 hours I have in Max at this point. The Boolean stuff is its key selling point, also the preset library was neat. But Zbrush does Booleans really well now, there's also F360 which is great, and there's like two Max plugins already that mimic the preset library thing.
So, no point for me to switch. If I were young and starting out I'd consider it for hard surface stuff, definitely.

>> No.599796

>>598951

Is it supposed to look like those PS1 FMVs? If so, that's pretty good.