[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 179 KB, 1425x1620, 1498897725357.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
596221 No.596221 [Reply] [Original]

New thread. Talk about whatever you want.

>> No.596222

I can't believe that when I was starting out I was... envious even... that this is what somebody managed to achieve in a year of learning. I wasn't sure I would be able to do it. I have no clue wtf is wrong with me, because I can do better things in less than a year already. I mean, not saying it's a bad render, just not amazing. Took me a long time to stop comparing myself to others, at least to tune it down by a lot. And no matter how good I was, I'd still feel like a shitter when I saw something "better than mine". Grass is always greener and all that shit I guess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/5sg576/still_an_amateur_but_here_is_what_a_year_of/

Anybody else likes going through some inspirational stuff they've seen in the past to see how much they've improved since? A lot of those seem nothing special to me now. Feels good.

>> No.596234
File: 494 KB, 952x407, lightwave_2018_news_banner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596221
I'm kinda pissed, over nothing, probably.

LW 2018 release on January 1st, 2018.

After THREE YEARS and no bugfixes for the still broken 2015 version there's:

1) a new render engine with physical based lighting, VR camera, and a de-noiser;
2) some additional tools in Layout (new deformation nodes, parametric shapes);
3) a couple of Modeler additions (lattice, smoothing, array, spline bridge, layout camera view).

And a number of smaller workflow adjustments.

It's worse than a yearly Maxon Cinema4d update. After THREE years? No unification of Layout and Modeler...and the GUI is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Not to mention all the lying and falsehoods, the wall of silence.

It will take at least 5 up to 10 years before Lightwave is where it needs to be.

:[

>> No.596242

there is no greater software on earth than...

>> No.596245
File: 63 KB, 702x720, goblendsomewhereelse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596242
If you say blender I'll murder you in your sleep

>> No.596253

>>596234
You are one of those guys?
Lighwave will never arrive where it needs to be.
Just give it up, its dead already.

>> No.596255

>>596253

People waiting to LW to rise while i wait for softimage to become OpenSource

>> No.596257
File: 63 KB, 150x287, 1512234427091.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596222

Mine is not what I've done, too much but more like what I learned, let me get in deeper context.

I remember like 1.5 year ago trying to follow that blender donut tut, for that time I couldn't even dominate blender cam movement and know where things are, or knew how to do the smallest things.

While now?, Now i am no god, but i feel like x25090 times better and i did not become a blender autist nor just an autofag, i became both and dominate both, i even know how to sculpt with dynamesh in zbrush when i couldn't even make a fucking cock with dyntopo, all of this also led me to learn concept and drawing, the road keeps going but i feel for a hobby this leads you learn even more shit.

>> No.596261
File: 189 KB, 432x387, diamond-blender.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596245

>> No.596393

Quick question: I've started modeling using Maya 2016 (with Mental Ray for rendering/texturing) for 2 years now, and now Maya 2017 is out with Arnold.
So here's the question:
Is Arnold better or worse than Mental Ray, and how much better or worse is it? Cause i'm not sure if i should switch to Arnold now because i'm so used to Mentalray. Also 2017 appears to be much more laggy when trying to do something as simple as rotating the camera.

>> No.596394

>>596393
I meant rotating the Viewport, not the camera.

>> No.596395

>>596393
Mental Ray has been deprecated for a while. Check out a thread about it here, I think they stopped a support on it recently or something like that. Arnold is very easy to use and provides great results. I think that you definitely have to switch to something else. It's not THAT hard once you know how everything works in general. Just give it a try, go through some course and you'll see.

That mindset is shit btw, you'll have to learn new stuff all the time, don't become like my first 3D teacher who got stuck in early 2000. That was horrible...

>> No.596403

>>596395
I can see where you're coming from and i will definitely try learning Arnold. My 3D teacher also recommended this to me.
That still doesn't help with the lags in the viewport though.

In case it matters, my specs are (or at least what i can remember about them atm):
Intel i7 4790
Geforce GTX 750
12 GB RAM
And 2 hard drives with around 700 GB each, plus an external one with 1 TB

And i did NOT have these lags in Maya 2016, so i don't think it's just my shitty PC.

>> No.596404

>>596393
Keep using Mental Ray for NPR stuff, for everything else use Arnold or Redshift.
Arnold is much easier than Mental Ray and the end results are better.
The other Anon is right, learn how to love to learn.

>> No.596406

Fug, I've been bouncing between Max and Blender since I started 3D and now I'm back with Blender, only this time I even set ZBRUSH to the side in order to use Blender's sculpting tools. For what I do, it's more than enough for me, but I'm worried again that I might be getting too used to it and won't be as good with industry standard tools... It's not my fault Blender is super comfy both to work with and to look at, and I have everything in a single program + no bullshit watermarks. Fuck me, amirite? Idk if I should maybe give Maya a chance... I know I'll get to it sooner or later once I decide to get a bit into animation.

>> No.596455

>>596221
I just want to make cute cartoon characters like the OP

>> No.596469

>>596403
I run Max 2018 inside of a fucking VM with no passthrough, giving it essentially 2 cores and 4GB RAM, but it runs fine for the most part. Sometimes crashes when UV editing or resetting XForm on multiple objects at once, but otherwise has been smooth.

>> No.596471

>>596255
>softimage becoming opensource
the one 3d software package I feel right at home with while learning it and it gets killed. why is life so unfair?

>> No.596472

>>596471
And to think XSi was such a staple of game development in the PS2/PS3 era, used as the primary software for cutting edge games of their time like Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid 4. I dunno, with it still being a property of Autodesk, what's the real chance it ever sees the light of day again?

>> No.596504

I realized I have never modeled a car
I'm not at all into cars, so what's are some fun cars to model?

>> No.596508

>>596472
zero
Not even with a 5000$ price tag.
What has Autodesk eve done for open source?
zero
What do expect are the chances that they release a software to open source which is better than Maya is some regards.
zero

>> No.596511

>>596504
Lada

>> No.596514

>>596221
Not gonna lie - when I see that OP pic, even I get a sudden need to sculpt qt degenerate animu waifus.

>> No.596555

How do I get over the fear of trying?

>> No.596567

>>596555
you mean laziness?

>> No.596576

Is it possible to create decals with Substance Painter (and maybe Designer)? Like, could I just texture a flat plane, use some smart masks to create rust drips and such, and then somehow export a transparent texture (or make it transparent in Photoshop), so I can have some 4k decals? Because I don't know how else to make them on my own. I really need some, and the free 1k ones from Textures.com are way too low-res.

>> No.596599

>>596576
Yes, there is a photoshop export plugin (comes with SP), but you also can export masks and layers. No problem, should work, but to use these smart stuff you need to bake some textures for you flat plane.

>> No.596712

https://80.lv/articles/how-to-make-3d-models-look-like-2d-paintings/

Okay, this is VERY inspirational.

>> No.596714

If I want to be a indie game dev/designer (VR Games) should I get a animation degree (that has 3d modeling class/rigging) or just learn programming and animation from home., not very good at advanced math and science.

>> No.596715

>>596714
complete noob here too

>> No.596754

>>596712
Okay guys, I want to try this out. The guy in the article uses 3D Coat, and the guy in this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPrzOBDhlWc

also uses 3D Coat. What is the difference between that and painting in Substance Painter or Zbrush? I know almost nothing about 3D Coat. Is it still relevant? I see that the tutorial is a few years old and maybe there are better programs for this type of work today.

But since I'd have to follow his approach, I'll probably have to download it anyway.

>> No.596871

Holy shit, is this tutorial series still good to go through or am I wasting my time? She is so slow that I feel like killing myself. But I'm very interested what will the end result look like. I still don't know if it is better to do this or just sculpt, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9stH1J536uQ

>> No.596877

>>596754
3D coat is better for hand-painted textures like in the tutorial, Substance Painter is better for realistic or semi-realistic stuff.

>> No.596986
File: 51 KB, 876x773, 1480373493900.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>post beginner/mediocre work asking for critique on polycount
>only 10 views
I guess I'm ngmi

>> No.596987

>>596986
It's usually like that on Polycount, don't worry.

>> No.597027

What is the fastest way of creating a short animated movie - using a game engine like UE4 or some regular renderer like Arnold? I don't know how exactly it works in game engines, but it seems to be a LOT easier to place a camera and test the movements when everything is real-time, and also I don't need to wait super long for the whole animation to render. On the other hand, Arnold will look better, ofc. But also the whole process of setting up the scene, positioning actors and testing camera angles and animations multiple times seem to be incredibly time-saving, at least I think so. What do you think?

>> No.597038

>>597027
I think you're onto something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0l3yqBrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8NeB10INDo&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSDsi2ItktY

>> No.597143

>>596234
Why would anyone in their right mind ever use Shitwave?

>> No.597150

What other things are out there for creating really beautiful skies in Unreal?
I'm looking at trueSKY right now - is there anything else like this, or even better?

>> No.597151

Smaller studios, generalists, long time users. It's even found in the pipelines of some bigger studios. Also still a thing in VFX for TV productions. It has a pretty big (and productive) user & plugin dev base in Japan and is used for a lot of NPR work.

Harima kenkyūjo SACLA [Kamikaze Douga]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G64-xD-mnw

Kamikaze Douga Production Reel 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgCpPnid-XE

KamikazeDouga 15th Anniversary Special Demoreel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ylEIjyTTbs

Kamikaze Douga - Two Studio Jobs of 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBke--9qZjw

Kamikaze Douga Recruitment 2013 - What is a CG modeler?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0O8vnRWDNk

>> No.597153

>>597151
reply was for >>597143

>> No.597252

>>597027
Unity and Octane 4 unity if its ready
Then Cinemachine cameras / audio / anumaiton in timeline

>> No.597431

Im learning 3d for the first time using maya 2017 and i want to make a base mesh that i can sculpt details on like an ear or nose and long or short hair and fingernails. Are the guides for older versions on cgpeers ok for this? Im worried ill learn something wrong. Like is modelling from reference planes still a thing to do?

>> No.597432

>>597431
To extend on this i wanna make a detailed base mesh. I wanna make a female or male that has muscle definition on thw base so i can focus on adding minor stuff on a sculpt.

>> No.597726

So, anybody here has some experience working in game industry as a 3D artist? Is it really that shit like some people say? It honestly seems like the most fun and interesting position in 3D for me, but if even that is a horrible job, then I don't even know why I spend so much time learning this craft in the first place.

>> No.597727

>>597726
it depends.
i imagine that a AA/A studio is fun and challenging.
the mobile/facebook game stuff is probably the type of work you want to avoid

>> No.597896

Are you able to live comfortably with 3D artist salaries? There is some local thing similar to bootcamps, for 3D, audio, game dev etc. And the salaries they mention for 3D artists are pretty high. Maybe they are bullshitting or they are posely mentioning western salaries (eastern europoor here) which are great for our standards. But that would mean that I'd have to work as a freelance for western clients, which kinda sucks. 3D industry is too small here for me to be able to find how much are local 3D salaries.

>> No.597929

Do you maybe know a percentage of 3D jobs across all the areas? Like some graph or a list? E.g. 60% games, 25% movies, 10% archviz and so on. I'm just interested where the most jobs are. I heard 3D artists are fucked because there is not much work outside of games, so they are paid less since they have nowhere else to go. Pretty sad and strange to me, considering that 3D is used everywhere, and now 3D printing and VR are becoming popular more and more.

>> No.598010

I want to get into gun modeling, do I use 3ds max or maya?

>> No.598029

>>598010
Doesn't matter. You can use whatever you want.

>> No.598038

Oh what I'd give for a few torrents of CGMA courses...

>> No.598459
File: 49 KB, 450x322, computermouse06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What mouse does /3/ use?

>> No.598461
File: 76 KB, 1500x953, 97d8be7d-7f0a-42ea-bc11-024d76de5abd_1.d05211a7f8d665e7b8cfcfef94118062.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>598459
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/g600-mmo-gaming-mouse

>> No.598462

Is blender *alright* for a complete begginer or am I going to learn a bunch of bad habits and actually be worse when I transition to 3ds/maya?
I keep reading that "skill is all that matters you can use whaterver soft you want" but also people treating blender like its ebola.

>> No.598465

>>598462
If you want to learn Max or Maya - just get the student editions of Max or Maya now. There is no point to 'levelling-up' to a piece of software, it's not like learning to ride a motorbike or something.
Max and Maya are both free for students for 3 years. There is literally no reason you have to start out in Blender unless you want to use Blender.

>> No.598696
File: 14 KB, 670x320, houdini11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I thought Houdini's free non-profit licenses lasted forever, did they change it?

>> No.598705

https://80.lv/articles/vegetation-creation-techniques-for-video-games/

Now I realize I know jack shit about environment art and I'm just a hack. I use SpeedTree, mostly use premade textures, and I make my grass with a Fibermesh instead of sculpting my foliage. Are there some courses for this I can find on CGpeers? I NEED to learn it.

>> No.598718

>>598461
Muh nigga.
I need to grab a new one, mine is failing on the middle mouse button. Other than that still all good, probably 5+ years old at this point.

>> No.598779
File: 23 KB, 1050x217, 1494924221017.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have this model, but know nothing about modelling at all.

Where would I begin to go about porting this into VRchat?

>> No.598783

>>598696
You just need to renew your apprentice licence once a month

>> No.598962

Is all vegetation in games sculpted or can you make a good vegetation from photogrammetry?

E.g. in Uncharted, vegetation is pretty stylized and sculpted in Zbrush first, then polypainted I guess (also, HOW do they still manage to make it stylized, but realistic at the same time?), but in Battlefront 2 they used photogrammetry for a lot of things. Not sure if they used it for plants though, because I've seen some comments on ArtStation that some was still sculpted. But those are 2 completely different processes, right? On the one hand people sculpt and paint everything, and on the other they use photo textures and get results like you can see e.g. on Megascans. I'm trying to find games where they just took photo textures and placed them on cards. Please explain a bit about the whole process if you know, thx.

>> No.599013

>>598962
>But those are 2 completely different processes, right?

It's not that simple. Photogrammetry provides the base data, but the material produced that way often needs a lot of work in something like Zbrush before it's ready. Basically, photogrammetry gives you a big head start.

Hope that clears it up a little.

> I'm trying to find games where they just took photo textures and placed them on cards

Without any cleanup or extra work involved? I can't think of any. There's always a little cleanup to remove the background and create an alpha map before the texture goes on to a flat plane model. Like what they do for hair and fur.

>> No.599561

Looking at UE4 renders in general is starting to make me just want to focus on Arnold (or even Cycles) instead. When I see senior artist's UE4 environments whose renders look like a child's play, it hurts. Like, what other type of artist has to have his quality of work dictated by scientists and engineers who make their tools? Game engines are still so much worse than offline renderers and so those people might be great artists, but they ruin their final result by using a shitty software and so if somebody who doesn't know anything about 3D looks at it, he will think it's a joke field for kids and not a real art.

>> No.600046

>hundreds of scientists and programmers spend years to create realistic looking hair
>some faggot brainlet applies hair&fur modifier to his pillow and gets many likes and money for his """product visualization""" and "rendering&lighting skillz"
Can't wait for all of you (and me) to get replaced with AI. This shit is easy as fuck and we don't deserve so much praise.

>> No.600048

>>600046
time to learn realtime rendering where you write your own shaders and procedural algorithms like it's the wild west. better get your thinking cap on and read lots of siggraph papers. you'll be a true technical artist in no time.

>> No.600049

>>598962
>>599013
>zbrush for games vegetation
literally never heard of that approach. vegetation is usually a ton of billboards or some out of the box shit like speedtree.

>> No.600050

>>600049
Well, just because you didn't heard of it doesn't mean that many people don't use it. Of COURSE you will use billboards, did you think they will scatter 100,000 poly-heavy grass meshes on the ground? No, you sculpt a high poly leaf e.g., and then bake maps from it. Then you just apply those maps to simple planes. For trees, yeah, a lot of games use SpeedTree, but for something more special, i.e. a "hero" tree, they would sculpt it too.

In b4 you ask "what's the point" - artistic approach and a complete control.

>> No.600056

>>600050
planes have an insane amount of overdraw and the illusion falls apart easily. these days the billboards are arranged more 3 dimensionally and form fitted to the baked texture.

>> No.600058

>>598459
Logitech G102, it's a G Pro for 1/3rd the price and is functionally exactly the same thing but with a better cable. would recommend.

>>599561
But you have to consider the trade-off - waiting for a single frame vs real-time interactive. Assuming you didn't need ultimate visual fidelity to begin with, the idea of having something immediate to look at is more salable.
It's not like UE4 was forced into the lookdev sphere, it caught on all on its own, and considering its ubiquity these days, chances are there are more people who think it's the right way than not.
For what it's worth, this will only push the engine developers to cater to this new growing segment and it'll benefit everyone as we might start getting increasingly better algorithms implemented for the various visual effects, that might not be specifically game-friendly. If early adoption means artstations full of dull renders you don't like, then so be it, it won't be so forever.

>>600046
>hundreds of scientists and programmers spend decades to create digital cameras
>some faggot brainlet posts snapshit to his instagram and gets many likes for his """artistic vision""" and "lighting skillz"
>complains when (god forbid) they get complimented for their nice camera instead
Funny how depending on where you look things can be treated the opposite.

>>600049
You missed the point, it's about the source of the texture for the billboard, whether it's hand-created (ZB) or acquired (photo/scan).
The thing about grass is that not a lot of fidelity is usually allotted on something like that as it can quickly get out of hand, so a slightly stylized result may look just as good if not better than a scan, since the scanned details might just get lost in the low-res soup anyway. Just like normal maps are typically made softer than they need to be to have good readability at a distance and lower resolutions, grass too tends to look better when it lacks unnecessary high-frequency detail.

>> No.600059

>>600056
Wait, are those not the same thing?

>> No.600060

>>600056
>these days the billboards are arranged more 3 dimensionally and form fitted to the baked texture.
it falls apart completely in VR no matter how you arrange those sheets

>> No.600062

>>600058
>For what it's worth, this will only push the engine developers to cater to this new growing segment and it'll benefit everyone as we might start getting increasingly better algorithms implemented for the various visual effects, that might not be specifically game-friendly.
Yeah, that's true. I don't know if that would be a good idea, but I think it would be pretty nice if they implemented an additional renderer with UE4, like Unity did with Octane. It's not realtime, yeah, but for me it would be so convenient to be able to work with my scene in realtime and use UE4's great workflow, and to just be able to render it with a proper renderer if I wanted to, so I get awesome results for static images or cinematics as well. Especially if I wanted to do some shorts, like that guy who recently opened a thread about making shorts in UE4.

>> No.600063
File: 67 KB, 1280x720, 460449706_1280x720[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>599561
>UE4 looks like a childs play
what did he mean by this

>> No.600064

>>600063
hello 1998

>> No.600065

>>596221

You got a tutorial for that style of hair?

>> No.600066

>>600063
The majority of exterior renders looks bad, almost like they came from some old game where you can make your own levels.

E.g.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/G3eEV
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/z4kJ4

How did they get the 80lv feature is beyond me.

>> No.600067

>>600066
I'm not sure I see the problem. Given that same exact scene rendered for 50 hours with some electricity wasting brute force path tracer what would be different?

>> No.600161
File: 222 KB, 1263x305, ohyou.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kek, you guys...

>> No.600162

>>596221
This bitch would look great with a flatter toon shader. What were they thinking going soft like that??

>> No.600169

>>600161
/3/ in a nutshell..
pathetic

>> No.600859
File: 1.54 MB, 1648x923, earth_c4d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any place to download rigged Overwatch models for Cinema 4D or Maya?

Trying to port via SFM > Blender > C4D is being rather convoluted at the moment. I've been scavenging sites for days now to no luck, since almost all of the downloaded content is either non functional, not rigged, has shit textures or the meshes/textures are jumbled together and it's impossible to edit individual materials.

Specifically interested in Mercy here.

Bonus: Information on how to port a fully rigged Iron Man Suit from 3DS Max 2015 to Cinema 4D R19

>> No.600861
File: 2.05 MB, 1421x778, env1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I'm sculpting an environment in one hit. I've been doing various prototype modular versions (making individual rocks etc and then arranging them in the UE4 level) but I'm working to a concept and I've decided the best way for me to accurately hit the shapes and composition of that concept is to do it as a whole.
So my question is; how would you go about breaking this apart and getting it ready to go in the engine? I've got my own ideas but before I write em down I wanna hear your take on how you'd approach it; surprise me /3/

>> No.600862
File: 1.19 MB, 1451x776, env2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>600861
Another view - stuff scribbled out in red is obviously not gonna be visible/used. That's just there because Dynamesh.

>> No.600866

>>600861
usually the ground and the walls are seperate.
it breaks down to big segments,medium ones and small ones. this is better from level design standpoint but less better than your own unique design.
the ground is usually 1 piece that is segmented as well, depending on how complex the terrain is

>> No.600869

>>600866
>this is better from level design standpoint but less better than your own unique design

This is the point, yeah. I know if it were a shipping product I was working on it would need to be modular and adaptable etc. but it isn't - I've got a set image from a concept artist that dictates how it must look. So modularity isn't just unnecessary in this case, it actually hurts the accuracy of the model.

>> No.600875

>>600859
C4D is moderately competent when it comes to character animation, but it gets messy quick.

Also, why would you use C4D over 3ds or even Maya for character animation?

>> No.600876
File: 1017 KB, 1455x835, jjprise_c4d_2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>600875
>Also, why would you use C4D over 3ds or even Maya for character animation?
I acquired C4D for creating high resolution and photorealistic space/atmosphere scenes at the time, the interface and workflow are very coherent for me so far, though i'm still learning the prospects of animation and other things such as lighting, it seems to be much more complicated to get photorealistic lighting correctly in C4D than even in SFM or working with 3D Photoshop models for some reason.

I have heard that character animation is a weak spot of C4D, although that criticism came from the time of R14, and i expect things have changed over time.

Which program should i use in this case to replace everything that SFM would do for me? pic related is an early render

>> No.600882

>>600859
Either rip the models from the game yourself or search for xps versions on deviantart and use blender on that.

>> No.600883
File: 447 KB, 998x6245, yeurfg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Help I'm too stupid to mess with the phyton files and can't export my game to .exe in blender

https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/NoSuchFileOrDirectory/

> game_engine_save_as_runtime.py
> https://pastebin.com/XuZhSrjb

>> No.600892
File: 58 KB, 658x435, wtfdude.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>every time I try to download some 3ds max plugin
Literally can't find anything useful for this fucking program. Everything is deprecated and unsupported, fucking kms.

>> No.600894

>>596242
No program

CGI is overrated and everyone using any program should be ashamed, right?

>> No.600915
File: 890 KB, 1228x410, ieoieroi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm using blender, why is the geometry of my game different?

>> No.600917

>>600892
I donated then emailed him, and politely asked for an installer and he sent me one.

>> No.600938
File: 809 KB, 1902x983, soijkoisjer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>600915
nvm I just checked the face texture option in materials

Also fixed >>600883 by reinstalling

>> No.601006

>>600917
Kek, that guy is insane. Ivy gen in blender works just fine, fuck him.

>> No.601014

>>601006
>> that guy is insane

You know when, in 3DS Max, you go to export your mesh as an .obj - the actual identifier for the .obj exporter in the preset list is 'gw: obj' ?
Did you ever wonder what the 'gw' stood for?

Guru Ware. The guy you're talking about. His third-party .obj export script was so good AutoDesk just decided to acquire it from him and use it in their shipping product rather than write their own.

>>>> that guy is insane

I doubt that.

>> No.601017

>>601014
insane =/= stupid

>> No.601018

Long story but here:

Got a high poly sculpted model from a friend, i did the retopology and UV unwrapped and baked the normals. I deleted the high poly sculpt cause i didn't need it. Got busy IRL and fast foward a month later i open it up to do some texturing, i UV unwrapped it again anf then painted the diffuse textures.

I now have 2 identical models with different UV unwraps and no idea how to use both my normals and diffuse maps on the same model.

How do i fix this in blender? This isn't mission critical, just a hobby but i really don't want to re-texture the model.

>> No.601025

>>601018
Don't know about how to do this in Blender specifically, but it's possible to have multiple map channels on one mesh, so you would for example have your old normal unwrap on channel 0 and the rest on channel 1. Search up "map channels in Blender" for the specifics, and how to copy UV sets.

>> No.601026

>>600892
I snagged the last version off Persia, someone uploaded it there. I suppose if you could donate and ask nicely like >>600917 too.

Also, what plugins/scripts are you interested in that you can't get? I've got a bunch already and while there have been a few I couldn't find (for "free"), it's not anything that would have been more than a small convenience anyway.

>>601014
Autodesk is well known for buying into third-party solutions, so it doesn't surprise me much.

>> No.601031

>>598718
I liked it so much I bought another one about 2 months after I got my first when it came up on sale on Amazon - £40. Bargain. Can't get 'em anymore I don't think. Still in the box. One button has gone a little sticky on my first one, but nothing worthy of retirement yet.

I believe Crucial have made a clone of it, where you can actually slide the bank of buttons on the side up and down to get into a more comfy position which I like the sound of.

>> No.601037

What is the difference and when would you use flat planes vs 3d rectangles (with actual depth) as modular walls? The second option won't be able to cull, right?, so I'd guess it would be better if you want to create a house in which you can enter as well. But then how are you supposed to texture the inner walls? Since there are 2 sides you'd have to create a lot more combinations for it. From what I've seen, AAA games usually just use planes, but then I have a whole different set of problems with that one - how to create significant damages on the corners (actual geometry, not just normal maps), and also how to create an interior walls, since you can't use same dimensions for interior and exterior pieces, because everything would be off.

>> No.601038

>>601025
"multiple map channels on one mesh"

Just this got me thinking! I figured it out.

>Select object A
>Shift Select object B
>Ctrl L
>Select transfer UVs
>Object B UV information is transferred to Object A and can be viewed under "Object Data" tab in properties windows.
>In node editor just use an "Attributes" node then plug it's vector into the vector input of whatever node needs whatever UV information.

This work for blender^

Thanks Anon!

>> No.601044

Does spoilers work on this board? Does it?

>> No.601051

>
Has anyone ever tried using real-world heightmaps for their large-scale landscapes? I read this article:

https://80.lv/articles/desert-gas-station-environment-production-breakdown/

And he imports Lidar data to GlobalMapper and from there he exports both the heightmap AND the color map, which seems great and I want to do just that, so I can use that single texture map as a base, but I don't know what other method I could use to achieve that because I'm too much of a brainlet to figure this GlobalMapper by myself.

>> No.601055
File: 1.84 MB, 1920x1080, ProceduralModCorona.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you think of my procedural modelization done in Corona, /3/ ?

I didn't do the grass nor the trees, I used free assets, but I created the terrain from Substances, height maps, used some masks to put the rocks and the dirt, used CoronaScatter to randomly put grass and trees.
Did in 3DSMax, rendered with Corona

>> No.601057

>>601044
nice

>> No.601098
File: 198 KB, 1920x655, 783cn8w734.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In blender, I'm trying to make a plane transparent by using the color of the the material and setting the alpha to 0 but I can't seem to make it transparent.

What am I doing wrong?

>> No.601102

>>601055
i mean

its not terrible anon but you said yourself the trees arnt yours but they are covering like 70% of the proceduals you made that you want t be judged on

>> No.601104

>>601098
object mode > select plane > lambert mat > slide transparency down

>> No.601106

>>601098
you are setting the object's display color to transparent. that display color corresponds to how it's displayed in the 3d viewport, not in the final render.
to make the object transparent, you would have to go to the materials tab (the checkerboard circle) and set the transparency there

>> No.601111
File: 189 KB, 600x650, blank_meme_mari_by_taikatsu05-dapn6cg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601104
Thank you anon

>> No.601146

>>601102
>its not terrible
or maybe it is?

>> No.601230

What do you think, would any 3D knowledge I acquired during the past year translate to 2D? I realized that visualizing every idea I have takes way too long so it might be time for me go finally dig into some digital painting and learn how to create concept art. Also, is it even possible to draw just with a mouse? I can do sculpting just fine with it, even though people alwas recommend using a tablet. I mean, I'm thunking about buying a Wacom some day but until then I wonder if I can still start immediately.

>> No.601231

>>601230
Wow, fug mobileposting errors.

>> No.601290
File: 25 KB, 388x339, 1503645402031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

seriously where the fuck is the unwrap menu in blender

I can't for the love of me find the fucking thing

typing U doesn't display the uv unwrap option

>> No.601292
File: 84 KB, 960x730, unwrap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601290
make sure you're in edit mode

>> No.601294
File: 122 KB, 850x850, Cute_902178_6334656.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601292

>> No.601307

>>601290
Edit mode > tool bar (T to toggle it) > mark the seams > unwrap

>> No.601319

>>601230
I doodle time to time in 2D, but more for fun than for concept work. I don't really think the two skill sets translate all that much other than the fact that might be using familiar software (Photoshop?), so at least you won't have to learn anything fundamentally new tech-wise.
You can use a mouse for drawing, however you'll have to make do with less than optimal techniques, such as heavily relying on a lazy mouse or focusing more on utilizing paths/vectors rather than freehand lines. Mind you, a lot of artists use lazy mouse even with a tablet, so it's not a full crutch. There's also the issue with variable-width lines, as there's practically no good way to get them without a tablet no matter what you do unless you go the vector graphics route and tweak things manually.
As you might imagine, all of these limitations will impede your ability to create ideas quickly, which is a good way to kill an idea. Most artists who are fine with a mouse usually draw traditionally, scan their work, and only use software for tracing, coloring or just adjustments if it's mostly done traditionally.
If you do plan on getting a Wacom, it doesn't have to be the latest one, if you can find a used Intuos 3 or 4 for cheap it's still hot shit. Do avoid the Intuos 5/Pro that has soft-touch material covering it, it's crazy that Wacom managed to make such a terrible tablet as part of the Intuos series. The pen is flimsy plastic and will break after a couple years of use as it consists of two halves joined by about 1/2cm overlap in the middle and the pressure sensor is also fragile. The soft-touch mat will eventually stretch and unstick from the board, but the button caps are integrated into it, so you can't just remove it outright as all the hotkeys will just not be there. Finally, the most criminal design choice is that the mat of the board is integrated into the tablet, so if you scratch it or wear it down in any way, you're fucked. The newest one rectifies all these issues though.

>> No.601332

>>601319
I did think about potentially getting the latest Intuos Pro Small, is that one bad as well? From what I've seen it's pretty nice, the only thing I wonder is if it will be too small for a 1080p display, since I heard the length of the brush stroke depends on the size of a display you're using. S version is also pretty cheap, but M jumps quite a bit in the price. There's also Intuos 3D, but I don't care about the default software it comes with and Pro seems like a better choice if I want to use it both for sculpting and drawing.

But yeah, I also think using mouse for drawing will be harder than for sculpting, because of the pressure and color blending, which doesn't matter so much when I sculpt. I'd bet doing a nice color gradient would be a pain in the ass.

>> No.601341

>>601332
>I did think about potentially getting the latest Intuos Pro Small, is that one bad as well?
No, like I said, it fixed all the problems of the older one; no soft-touch, the pen has a stronger shell, wireless is now built-in to all models, the buttons are hard plastic and separate from the mat, and more importantly the mat is once again user-replaceable with options for varying levels of roughness. The old Intuos 3 was ugly and bulky, but also virtually indestructible, so it was a shocking step-down in quality when I "upgraded" to the i5.

>I heard the length of the brush stroke depends on the size of a display you're using.
Mostly true. Small is best for displays up to 24" and 1080p, medium is more for 27~32" 1440p and large if you have like a 40" 4K monitor or ultrawide. Size also depends a bit on personal preference, if you're a CS:GO player who has no trouble swinging a mouse around at low DPI, then a large may work for you, but 99% of the time you want a small or medium - to get to the corner of the screen you literally have to move your arm across the entire length of the tablet.
The idea is that the line resolution of the tablet is uniform regardless of size, so larger sizes let you make both broad and controlled strokes without sensitivity step-down, however in practice Wacom tablets are already so sensitive that as long as you've got a steady hand, even the small should provide you with enough control.

>But yeah, I also think using mouse for drawing will be harder than for sculpting, because of the pressure and color blending, which doesn't matter so much when I sculpt.
You're right, the issue with using a mouse for sculpting vs drawing is that a sculpt you ultimately build up gradually and generally aren't concerned with laying down razor-thin lines of a specific thickness, and for that a mouse works just as well. With line art you have to get the thickness right in one stroke, there's no massaging it into the final shape.

>> No.601351
File: 2.16 MB, 1284x1464, 1 (40)_gif.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm trying to make my menu pics look like this (upper pic) in blender but it wont move.

To do that I parented an empty plain axes to the plane I wanted to move, then I made a text file and added this script in it:

-------

from bge import logic

cont = logic.getCurrentController()
own = cont.owner

mouse = logic.mouse

own.worldPosition = [mouse.position[0]*(own["amtx"]),
mouse.position[1]*(own["amty"]),
own.worldPosition.z]

-------

the, Logic editor > Add sensor > Always > "" (pulse mode) / Add controller > Python > (Select the script above) > (Then link the Sensor and controller) / Properties > Add game properties > (rename it to amtx and amty and set the value to 1.000)

Anyone knows what I could be doing wrong?

>> No.601352

What is an acceptable computer that I can build using used parts to get me through entry-level 3D design work?

Should I use most of my money on the GPU, CPU, or RAM? I have a large case that can fit server motherboards, but I don't know if rendering and all of that is more GPU or CPU intensive. Logical Increments tells me the parts to buy, but they're all new and I don't know if I should invest in brand new hardware if I am just starting out.

I have a cheap laptop that runs Linux and I am downloading Blender for it rn, but I feel like it's going to be very sluggish.

>> No.601359

Is it possible to learn how to sculpt in fine details from a normal map? For example loading up a mesh then plugging in the normal map then opening up Zbrush and loading up the mesh then sculpting in the details? Or sculpting in parts of the mesh that aren't there?

I'm pretty new to sculpting and i mostly do this as a past time hobby so I'm not too super serious about learning digital sculpting for a job or career BUT i'm willing to put some effort into doing small stuff like this.

>> No.601447
File: 138 KB, 960x540, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not working on it, just a quickie, so I thought I'll post it here.

>> No.601464

>>601352
To put it simply, for pure design work, even a potato PC should be fine, as you're not really going to be pushing it to do anything crazy. As long as you have some decent quad or six-core (perhaps a Ryzen given the recent events), and at least 8GB of RAM, you'll be fine. The rest of your budget you can spend on the GPU as that's what'll help you both with real-ime interactive performance and rendering, because attempting to use a low-end CPU for rendering is going to be pretty shit.
GPU prices are pretty horrible right now, as is RAM (would have recommended 16GB like 5 months ago), so you're going to want to scrounge around for a good deal. Most GPU renderers gel best with CUDA, so definitely get an Nvidia card with as much VRAM on it as you can get.

>>601359
Not really, normal maps are only for baking detail down to a lower detail mesh, you can't really "restore" detail back from a normal map, at least not that I'm aware. ZBrush works primarily with height maps, so what you can do, is use spotlight to load an image into the viewport, lay it over your mesh, and with zadd selected you can project paint from the loaded map onto your model. You can also load displacement samples in as brush alphas and stamp the map on to the mesh.

>> No.601658

>>601464
So I should be able to create basic scenes in Blender with my computer running an Intel Atom processor with Ubuntu Linux?

I essentially use THE potato pc, but I don't understand if you are saying that a PC with a decent quad or six-core and 8 GB of ram is classified as a potato PC. Let me clarify that I have the case left over from my gaming pc build, but I sold the internals for it because I felt that pc gaming was exorbitantly expensive for me.

You know, fuck it. I'll probably just get Blender running on this crappy laptop that I have and find an easy way to test the limits as to what I can do with it. Thanks for the info. If this pos computer runs Blender like shit, then I will definitely consider building another PC to work on.

>> No.601669
File: 32 KB, 640x557, IMG_6863.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know the anon ripping models from Hyper universe?
He dumped the uncensored version here. I just wanna know if he posted any models.
|
|
V

I've replaced all (or most, I don't know) censored portaits with the original korean ones, let me know if it doesn't work for you, be sure to make a backup of the original assets file just in case.

https://mega.nz/#!lYdCwTQS!aeLPD8sB5MysuWXtfjdA6d4ymnDQLato2wAPUtmTtsc

just place the resources.assets file into your HyperUniverse_Data and everything should be uncensored.

>> No.601762

>>598459
A really dirty PCLINE

>> No.601772

>>601658
>I essentially use THE potato pc, but I don't understand if you are saying that a PC with a decent quad or six-core and 8 GB of ram is classified as a potato PC.

No, those were kind of two separate things, I mean that straight modeling and texturing isn't resource intensive can done on potato if you're willing, but if you wanted to build a new system then those are the kinds of specs I'd recommend for good performance in most workloads.

>> No.601780
File: 132 KB, 1472x765, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can someone help me out? I don't think this issue is big enough to varant a new thread.
I am not a 3D guy, but I need to render a scene with particles for a project, so I watched so Blender tutorials and made a scene.
Everything worked fine, except for after a certain point camera FOV just fucked up.
Regardless if it's Ortho or perpective camera, when it renders it creates this fucked up abomination, and same shit happens even if you create a new camera or copy assets to a new file.
Everything is fine when I view the scene from the camera but when I render it, it just fucks up.

>> No.601781
File: 78 KB, 1212x703, 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601780
Here is an example of what sort of shit it does.

>> No.601786

>>601780
>>601781
Also, OpenGl render works fine.

>> No.601794

>>601786
solved it, apparently I forgot to turn off render for a collision plane in front.

>> No.601802

A question for oldfags and pros here:

What would you say a beginner should know after a 1 year of learning (either in school or as a self-taught)? This could be good to hear for us still relatively new at this. For example, what would be the most complex model created, how big and rich the environments should be, would a person already have to know all the tools in the full pipeline and on what level etc. Of course, it depends on the learning topic, but let's say for a 3D generalist, somebody who dabbles in various assets, environments and characters, but you could also talk about something more specific, like animation or just an environment art.

>> No.601911

>>601332
If you're still around, I ended up buying an Intuos Pro Medium myself, it's everything I expected it to be and feels better too. I used to have an i5 large which as I said was basically on its last legs due to all the shitty design decisions. Went Medium because I just felt like I wasn't using all the real estate to it's potential; maybe if I were expecting to use an ultra-wide down the line or something, given the crop you get on the tablet surface. The tablet is actually 16:10, so you get some crop even on a standard 16:9 screen, just remember to set up "force proportions" in the driver so that you can actually draw round circles.

I think Wacom redefined what sizes S M L refer to, as the new "Medium" fits entirely within the draw area of the old Large, which of course is in part due to the non-existent bezels, but the active area also doesn't seem as big as it would on the older M. In this respect I think the upgrade to a Medium size from Small is worth the price hike, as the S must be pretty darn tiny. I rarely use the tablet keys, except for window management (show all windows/desktop/etc.), but they feel pretty good despite being spaced a lot closer than they used to be. Might take some getting used to. Touch/gesture control is also light-years ahead and actually works like a decent laptop track pad, though I'm still not sure I'll be using it much. Overall, it's money well spent.

>>601802
After one year of learning (assuming from scratch) you should be decently good at at least one thing, like subdiv modeling with some basic steps into unwrapping and texturing, or maybe sculpting. You definitely won't be making any complex models unless you have damn good reference that you followed religiously, but even then I think it'll be full of mistakes. One thing that's for sure, is not to try and spread yourself too thin; if you got started in modeling, keep at it and ignore most other aspects like rendering, effects, particles and sims, animation and so on.

>> No.601914
File: 4 KB, 200x150, 2134DQZ15ML[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>598459

>> No.601920
File: 44 KB, 580x280, first-mouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>598459

>> No.602396

Does anybody know where could I download IvyGen from Guruware for Max 2018?

>> No.602398

>>598461
For people with super tiny thumbs.

>> No.602399
File: 62 KB, 800x450, logitech_g600_mmo_gaming_mouse-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601914
>not saving half an hour a day

>> No.602462

>>601914
same i feel ur pain

>> No.602638

>>602398
that's no way to talk about the President

>> No.602715
File: 146 KB, 500x375, 1493685793142.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do I get gud at sculpting?
I follow references/tutorials but my models look like shit.

>> No.602795

If you didn't hear already, Blender has TexTools now as well.

http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/

>> No.602796
File: 62 KB, 609x371, iridium_2018-01-26_07-29-37.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601031
>>602399
>Can't buy them anymore
You sure about that?

>> No.602797

>>602398
You use the tip of your thumb for the first six, and the joint for the other 6.
They're angled so it's not hard to hit at all.

>> No.602814

What's the ideal software for someone to learn 3D that doesn't know anything

>> No.602817

3DS Max, Maya or Blender. Really depends what you wanna use. The first 2 are paid but you can get a student's license for free. I started out with 3DS Max, now use Blender more often than Max. Both have a bunch of tutorials for every learning stage. Don't be lazy and go inform yourself on your own, then pick what you like the most.

>> No.602818

>>602817
Meant for >>602814

>> No.602889
File: 387 KB, 1200x800, 1200px-VW_1302_(2013-09-15_2307_Spu).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596504
A beetle!

>> No.602893

>>600050
>did you think they will scatter 100,000 poly-heavy grass meshes on the ground?

Maybe I misremember; I think the guys at Theory Studios made the intro for The Man in the High Castle with complex geometry for vegetation.

The presenter mentions vegetation here at some point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Gjx-rrIG0

>> No.603236

I want to create some sci-fi helmet so bad but I don't know how to do it. Some people sculpt them and some just start box modeling and using booleans. I realize I have a hard time with both workflows, fuck.

>> No.603242

>>603236
CG Cookie has a tutorial on creating a sci-fi helmet. It’s paid, but it’s pretty good material.

>> No.603244

>>603242
Oh yeah, I tried out that one, but I had a problem following it because he was using some cutting tool with a grease pencil which doesn't really work in the latest versions. I'm trying to search something good on YT, maybe sculpting and retopoing would be a better option. Surprised that there are not that many good tuts about this. Lots of speedarts though, but almost completely useless for learning.

>> No.603288

What are the chances that comments on CGPeers are mostly from anons from /3/? It's literally copy/pasted shitposting I see here every day.

>> No.603431

Is using Makehuman for base meshes considered bad?

>> No.603679
File: 302 KB, 1385x726, 1517422998416.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Blocking stage.

Got one suggestion from /ic/ with a good point that I need to change, but what do you guys think of this?

>> No.603888

Anyonr know if there's a Kojima Ludens 3D model out there on the interwebs?

>> No.603900

>>603288
There's a very strong chance that most /3/ goers are on CGP just because it's one of the few central sources for 3D-related stuff.

>> No.603911

>>603900
>>603288
Shhht. Thank you for not discussing the outside world.
CGP poster here btw

>> No.604181

I don't know what to do. Sculpting with mouse in Zbrush is very annoying. I realized that sculpting in Blender with mouse though, is super comfortable. The problem is obviously that Blender lacks a ton of features and the worst part is that it starts slowing down really bad after 800k+ polys. Buying a tablet is the only option, right?

>> No.604211

>>596234
Idiot . Go back to the newtek forums and bitch about Lightwave. Lightwave is the shit

>> No.604212

>>596255
Never going to happen. Autodesk killed it. Lmao you think they'd make it open source? Fucking idiot

>> No.604214

>>596393
Arnold is better. Stop being an autist

>> No.604215

>>596406
Setting aside ZBrush for blender sculpting? Do you have a mental disorder? You are a fool.

>> No.604219

>>596472
>Shadow of the Colossus
Dumb ass! Softimage wasn't used for SOTC! Lightwave was used!!

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/artist-spotlight-fumito-ueda/

>> No.604231

>>604211
You can't dispute these facts, asswipe. I like LW, I'm using it since Amiga days, but the shit NewTek pulled off on us in the last years is unacceptable.

>> No.604236

>>604215
The only pro is that it doesn't have an autistic UI which is irritating to navigate with a mouse. I hate the fact that I have to tryhard a lot more to get the same quality results in zbrush. Sculpting with mouse is easier for me in blender. Usually I start with blender for basic things and then finish in zbrush. I'm not a fool because I know Zbrush is 1000× better, but I have better results with blender and it's hard to get on that level in zbrush for me. It takes more time.

>> No.604243

>>604181
>Sculpting with mouse in Zbrush is very annoying. I realized that sculpting in Blender with mouse though, is super comfortable.

Seriously?! Buy a wacom. Who uses a mouse to sculpt. Insanity!

>> No.604245 [DELETED] 

>>604243
I'm really interested how many people actually use mouse for sculpting. I thought there has to be a lot, but now I slowly realize probably not so many. I'm actually surprisingly good at it, probably because I drawed a lot with the mouse in the past. I'm very precise, but the main problem is (and especially with zbrush) that it uses such a weird key combinations for navigating the viewport, and it doesn't have some cool shortcuts like Blender's F and and a mouse move to change the brush size in real time, which is what really makes sculpting with mouse problematic for me. But yeah, I need to buy some Wacom, probably a pro small, it's pretty cheap.

>> No.604246

>>604243
I'm really interested how many people actually use mouse for sculpting. I thought there has to be a lot, but now I slowly realize probably not so many. I'm actually surprisingly good at it, probably because I drew a lot with the mouse in the past. I'm very precise, but the main problem is (especially with zbrush) that it uses such a weird key combinations for navigating the viewport, and it doesn't have some cool shortcuts like Blender's F and and a mouse move to change the brush size in real time, which is what really makes sculpting with mouse problematic for me. But yeah, I need to buy some Wacom, probably a pro small, it's pretty cheap.

>> No.604247

>>604246
Your tacky and I hate you!

>> No.604248

>>604247
Tacky? Why?

I got an incredible amount of insults these couple of days on /3/, don't know what I'm doing wrong... Seriously hurts.

>> No.604633
File: 354 KB, 1920x1036, focus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Boy, do I need to focus... This is a summary of the January, kinda nice to see the progression through different projects and new softwares. I'll just drag it into a folder with a random name and start all over again, it's impossible to keep all of this in order when you forget to clean up the desktop for a few days. I'm generating too much shit and taking wayyy too much WIP screenshots that I never delete.

>> No.604635

>>604633
Then fix your stupid ways of doing things. You know what the problem is. Or struggle with your self-created chaos and suffer miserably.

>> No.604643
File: 28 KB, 680x383, 075.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>604633

I see I'm not the only one dumping project shit onto his desktop until it's completely unusable

>> No.604645

>>604635
I don't suffer at all, it's just a mild inconvenience.

And it looks horrible until I clean it up but whatever lol.

>> No.604683

>>604248
This board is plagued with trolls. Don’t react to them.

>> No.604700
File: 50 KB, 645x729, 1503757520535.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596221

>Try out blender, no idea what is what
>Watch some tutorials
>The blender they are using looks nothing like mine
>They have a super useful quick round menu that I can't access
>Find out it is now deactivated by default and has to be activated through some convoluted menu so that no one can even find it without looking it up
Is Blender just complicated for the SAKE of being complicated?

>> No.604702

>>604700
It has its own shortcut which is still available. It's called a pie menu and is similar to Maya. I wouldn't recommend using it anyway.

>> No.604704

>>604702
Hmm, now that I look at it, I probably did have to enable the addon but forgot about it, but it's super simple since you don't have to download anything, just tick one box in the settings.

>> No.604705

>>604700
>Blender, it’s complicated.

That’s what she said.

>> No.604708

>>604246
>it uses such a weird key combinations for navigating the viewport
default zbrush navigation is super comfy imo, but you could try the alternate right click system to see if you like that better.
>and it doesn't have some cool shortcuts like Blender's F and and a mouse move to change the brush size in real time
S

tablet is almost always better though, just because of the precision you get + pressure sensitivity.

>> No.604711

>>604708
I know about S, but you still have to move to the slider, click it and then it also hides half of your model behind it etc. Just annoying compared to Blender's F. I don't know, I use the right click and I can work fine with it, but it never felt natural. I'll have to buy tablet either way.

>> No.604858

It is nice to see some people change for the better, this morning. I know you're not bad people, but as one anon said, you don't know what the person you are trolling with your degrading comments has been through. Words have a real power, and what could seem to you like an obvious tiny offensive joke, some guy could really take it to his heart. When your life is so shit that everywhere you go, you get bombarded with pessimism, seeing this will only make you think that you are such a bad guy that even anonymous people on the internet for some reason decided to attack you.

This could be a good place for discussion if we wanted it to. I will admit, a long time ago I was stupid and bought into this "bully" mindset here, ocassionaly writing a comment like "he uses blender", while I was using it as well, just for some fun. But the fun wasn't there, there were no laughs, and it was pointless. Thank god I never went any further like some people here, and started calling names and attacking others to the point of death wishes. It was never fun or interesting, but I understand this is what often happens on this website as whole. You see people talk with that dose of sarcasm in every direction and you kind of adopt that behavior.

But when half of the posts this week were arguments about software, then we need to do something about it. There are some pros and very knowledgeable people here who sometimes post, but it's no wonder the board is dying when potential newcomers see what is happening here.

When this lazy "trolling for fun" brings real misery to some people and ruins threads, and when that is the only thing it does, perhaps the time for a change has come. It's easy to be a dick to someone after a long, hard day full of shit you needed to get through, but it's not easy to keep it cool and still manage to be pleasant towards other people, who are probably going through the same trial, if not even worse.

>> No.604897
File: 68 KB, 900x900, 2351899.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just fucked around with Blender for the first time and imported a model from SFM, basically all of it worked as far as I can tell but when I use the texture for the eyelashes in Blender, they appear as a black blob with no detail or transparency.
Wat do?

>> No.604908

Fuck blender fuck FUCK FUCK BLENDERFFFFFFUUUUUUCK

>> No.604938

Does it not make sense to use, or at least to start, from premade regular objects that you see every day? Like doors, windows, traffic signs, books, basic ass furniture designs etc? I know that big studios probably have libraries with all of that, but why does everyone still start every project from scratch, no matter how complicated it is? Like, there are free models available on the internet that you can easily modify and refine, and after all, if you're not going for some wonky stylized look, those objects will always look the same anyway. Texturing is what really makes them unique.

But for some reason, I, too, feel it's wrong, even for my personal projects, although when I think about it, I don't know why.

I'm terrified of the time I will probably have to spend on a bunch of trash you see on the street (since I'm doing some exterior city scene), and maybe I really should just download a bunch of containers, cardboard boxes, posters, trash bags, pipes and refine them, instead of modeling all of that from scratch. But the problem is - can I still call them my own? Is that still fair to put in a portfolio? Those are basic objects that have to be there, but nobody will really pay attention to, so spending the next week or two working on them seems like a really poor use of my time.

>> No.604940

>>604897
Example pic?

>> No.604945
File: 12 KB, 323x150, lashes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>604940

Here, the black stuff around her eyes looks like perfectly normal and shorter eyelashes in SFM but in Blender I get this.

>> No.604946

>>604945
Are your material nodes properly connected? Is some texture map missing? I think that black mesh can show up if you're previewing in texture mode without a proper material setup. Maybe normals are inverted?? Idk, not sure if it would look like that.

>> No.604983

>>604945
-You didn't apply the transparent nodes.
-Not in render view
-didn't apply the textures

>> No.605081
File: 7 KB, 235x258, blender_2018-02-07_10-29-08.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hi, I'm trying to model a character (new to 3d) and sometimes when I extrude things I get weird faces created, or new vertices. Does anyone know why? All I do is select the faces and extrude. Pic related, the dots in the edges are faces created by extruding

>> No.605083

>>605081
This will happen if you extrude, then cancel movement and then extrude again.
You can fix these by using W -> remove Doubles
There are some cases where you want verts doubled up, but since you're new you probably don't want these at all yet.
Be sure to select everything before using remove doubles.

>> No.605085

>>605083
Yeah that was what was happening, I was regretting extruding and pressing esc. not realizing the extrusion was not deleted, but left in place. Thanks!

>> No.605113
File: 70 KB, 1051x642, how do.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I'm kinda sucking at topology right now (pic related)
For this piece in particular it's not much of a deal since it's meant to be flat and all, but I know if I were to apply a smooth shader or subdivide it, I'd get a funky mess.

If anyone could help me figure out how to deal with models with many holes that'd be great

>> No.605114
File: 122 KB, 1080x1080, 18011706_1836137906638880_5654299371164925952_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>605113
Trying to model this fella btw
Planning to build him a skeleton and all

>> No.605117

>>604946
>>604983
Tbh I have no clue about 2/3 of these things or how they work, just tried to follow a tutorial on how to make transparency on textures work and they all said to check the "transparency" box in the materials tab to see the options for it but the box itself is missing for me, nothing there. The pic has transparency and is a tga though.

>> No.605128
File: 222 KB, 1055x738, blender_2018-02-07_22-42-01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>605113
Add bevel modifier, set limit method to 'Weight', add weight to the edges of the holes, add subdiv modifier

>> No.605141

I think I really have to block out whole scenes in my modeling program first, and only then start exporting all the parts to Unreal. I'm going back and forth and always feel like I'm so disorganized and I'm never sure if everything will even fit together in the end. I also have a bad habit of immedately texturing every new object I create, because I want to see the result so bad, but ultimately it's probably a bad workflow, because I have nothing set in stone at that point, so I'm risking redoing a huge portion of my work if I decide something major needs to be changed in the scene.

>> No.605151
File: 148 KB, 1425x1620, 18054665268.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596221
She is so cute!

>> No.605152
File: 137 KB, 1425x1620, 8054668921.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>596221
>>605151

>> No.605163

>>605152
>literally plane-flat ass

>> No.605175

>>605163
You think that's pretty fucked up, don't you.

>> No.605202

>>605141
I model all my components in one big "playground" file so that I can test-fit stuff as it's being made. Also, for fitting it's super-important to settle on a scale and snapping system early on. In my case, I use 20-unit increments for all my components, so I have 20, 40, 60, etc "blocks" that I am certain will fit together in Unreal if grid snapping is turned on and the pivot is aligned properly. As long as stuff is snapping to grid in your 3D software, it'll snap in Unreal.

>> No.605206

>>605202
>I model all my components in one big "playground"
It tends to be referred to a 'gym' or 'gym floor' in industry.

>> No.605219

>>605175
gahahahaha )) have not seen better response ))

>> No.605260

>>605163
Her ass is cute

>> No.605307

>>596754
3DCoat is fantastic but I went with Substance Painter. It's more than fine for doing handpainted stuff, though yes, it's marketed and geared towards generators and what not. If you already know Substance go with that and don't waste time.

>> No.605472

Is hard surface sci-fi one of the hardest things to do as a 3D artist? How does modeling e.g. an alien space base environment compare to modeling medieval ruins in a deep forest? Can it even be compared? I'm wondering what types of environments and assets you personally find "easier" to create.

Coming up with all those interesting shapes and having to bevel and subdivide a lot (i.e. be real good at topology) is the reason why sci-fi looks pretty tough to me, and I have a mad respect for those people.

>> No.605479

>>605151
That’s a depiction of rape. Rape is wrong, and you should feel bad for posting that.

>> No.605623

>>605479
But these pets are just hugging her legs.

>> No.605642

>>605472
Really? I find HS Sci-Fi to be one of the easiest things to model because you can just pull whatever idea you want out your ass as long as it can be justified in some way in terms of functionality or rule-of-cool.
Actually making something interesting and original is another matter entirely, but in terms of technicality it's arguably the best starting point for anyone getting into 3D.
Moreover, you can utilize almost any type of modeling technique in the creation of Sci-Fi objects, whether it's sculpting, subdiv, medium poly, boolean, spline or NURBS, so it's also a good way to try out various methods.

>> No.605837

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mocWjeeOxfs

How do people rework textures from games like this? Just sharpening it with various tools is probably not what is happening, right? I can only imagine that they recreate them with e.g. Substance Designer, but you have to be a god to really nail the same look, though. And if that is the case, since the bricks and stones have exactly the same shapes, I'd imagine they could make the original texture b/w in photoshop and create a base height map from that?

>> No.605910

When can you say that you "know" the 3D program? Some people here have been calling me delusional when I was saying that I feel comfortable in a program after a first few days, but maybe we just have different views on it. For me, I know the program decently when I'm able to confidently produce content with it, without having to google how to do something every 30 minutes. By that definition, it was true that I "learned" Blender, Maya and Modo, after starting with Max, every single one of them in about a week. And I won't open them up and start thinking how to do some command, no, I'll immedatiely start working smoothly with all the shortcuts, I have them memorized just fine.

That means that I know all the basic operations like extrude, bevel, I know how to work with curves, how to unwrap with some of the most used tools, how to work with subdiv, array and other often used modifiers, I know how to setup a decent lighting and how to render my work, and I'm confident with shortcuts. I probably won't know everything, but do I need to? A lot of those tools I am not using anyway.

So my question is - but what if a studio asks you do you know the program? By my definition I explained, I don't have to worry, I already know Max, Maya, Blender and Modo. But, IF they ask for a specific level of knowledge, then I ask you to please list me some of those things one should know if he considers himself good at a specific software. Seriously, enlighten me if I'm wrong, but if you agree with my definition of knowing a program, than I stand by my opinion that learning a new 3D software once you know 3D in general, is trivial.

>> No.605923

>>605910
>learning a new 3D software once you know 3D in general, is trivial.

They are very similar, so I agree with that statement.

I think it could be compared to learning different languages. There are some languages that are similar, so the more you know, the easier it is to learn more.

>> No.605936

>>605923
Yeah, and also with programming languages. But I have to ask, because some people here have said multiple times how Blender e.g. is a waste of time, so I wonder why would it matter if it is not that hard to make a switch to something else if needed. Surely there has to be something about it that I'm not aware of.

>> No.605945

Any concept artists here? I'm interested what would it take to become one and if that is something I could focus on. I see that concept artists use 3D more and more in their workflows, and so, since I'm already very familiar with that, how much of a jump start do I get? What is a ratio between drawing and 3D in today's concept art?

>> No.605946

>>605945
from what i see, if you want to become a 3d concept artist you need to have excellent rendering skills. so that means that your knowledge in photography,composition and lightning should be tip top.
now im not saying that your renders should be on the same level of a render artist, but its gotta be at the point where your concept can still guide the 3d artist through the stuff he would need to make.
im not a concept artist so i can't give you any tips, but i suggest you take some paid lessons because they usually explain it better than free ones

>> No.606010

I've been thinking about my choices for a quite some time and I don't know if I want to spend my life doing this. I might be a bit crazy, but I don't feel like I'm influencing anyone with my visual art. The fact is that people care more about artists like musicians and storytellers, which is also the reason why they can become so rich and world famous after all, which is impossible in this field. I want to feel like I matter and am bringing something useful to the world. That I'm at least inspiring people.

When I find myself spending hours going through random videos like gun tutorials and such, it hits the hardest. Like, wtf am I even doing? I'm just a faglet trying to make virtual weapons devoid of any meaning look cool for some kids and manchildren. There is not even any proper engineering involved in it. In the end, all of that is so pointless and there is such a small amount of 3D works that I actually think really do matter somewhat.

I guess that this is not as much of an art as the other art fields when you can come on a forum like this one and realize that nobody is actually talking about the art aspect of 3DCG. About their ideas and stories they want to tell. Only topics of discussion are connected with getting a job in the industry, fighting over what software to use in order to get a grinding monkey job in a giant machine, and then people would be happy. Doing 3D as a hobby seems to be a foreign concept here. Go to /prod/ on /mu/ or photography and filmmaking generals and you can see the passion for the art everywhere, a lot of people don't even consider making any money with it. But here, it's a different story.

Eh, I'm ranting, better stop now. It's just that it's 3AM, I'm going to bed after watching a bunch of tutorials about making pointless 3D things and every night I get a feeling of guilt and that I'm making a mistake.

>> No.606014

>>605936
because blender's UI is more unique, some people may find it harder to switch between blender and maya, and easier to go 3dsmax and maya.

Still using languages example:
Scandinavian languages may be similar, and know 2, may make it easier to learn 3rd, but it may not be that helpful if you wanted to learn e.g. japanese.

>>606010
It sounds like you are at you emotional low ground at 3AM. I'm not going to laugh at you or anything, because people hit walls all the time.
If there is one thing you should get out of my post is that you should worry less about making an impact and inspiring people, and be more content with your works.
If /3/ is your only place you go for 3d discussions, then I can see why you may think.
If what you do is going through random tutorials, then it's no surprising you see things as pointless, because you lack direction. Try making something original with the knowledge you gain from those tutorials.

And trust me there are many people who would love to tell you about their thought processes, feelings and stories when they post in a WiP thread. People don't want to seem self centered, so they don't write those things if they are not asked.

>> No.606639

>>606014
>Scandinavian languages may be similar and it may make it easier to learn more
>unhelpful if you want to learn Japanese
Ha, that's almost exactly what I'm doing, except with North Germanic languages (Started with German, then Dutch, then Norwegian, now doing Japanese). It's, uh. Difficult.

>> No.606653

How long until stuff like booleans become completely normal in 3D modeling? How long until retopo and unwrapping become obsolete?

Caring about topo and UVing seem like such a chore, and ultimately, having to pay attention to all of that shit due to technology constraints makes it harder to create art. When will all of that shit become so pointless that renderers could handle literally everything you do with your model? Just like, sculpt the hp, boolean the shit out of it and import into the engine. That's it. No more wasting time doing brain dead technical stuff, better focus on what is the most important and better looking final results.

I know, it is probably still something which won't gonna happen anytime soon, but at least I'd like to be able to use booleans whenever I want them to. Using them in Modo (the Tor Frick tm way) feels almost like cheating, but it is so good.

>> No.606656

>>606653

>How long until stuff like booleans become completely normal in 3D modeling? How long until retopo and unwrapping become obsolete?

Jesus Christ the stuff you can read on this board. Unwrapping will never become obsolete because your modeling software isn't intelligent enough to know that the front uv shell of your cereao box goes in the cereal logo area of your texture map. Besides, unwrapping isn't even hard. If you hate it you probably just suck at it. Train more.

Retopo will never be obsolete because sending a 2 million poly character in a game is fucking retarded when you can achieve the same result with 50k polys and baked normal maps.

It's part of the 3d artist's job, if you hate this stuff you can go and work at your local dunkin donuts with blendlets.

>> No.606746

>>606656
What a hateful fucking person you are...

>> No.606747

>>606656
>what is software like mari and substance
>what is ptex
>being this uncreative of a person that he can't even imagine that humans can make a breakthrough in such a trivial thing as UV mapping
>not realizing that, just like PCs can now handle a billion times more complicated stuff than they were able to just 30 years ago, it is not unrealistic to imagine them reach a point where poly count will be a lot less important (ofc it can be always optimized, but at that point it wouldn't really matter if it isn't, either)

>> No.606759

>>606653
>How long until stuff like booleans become completely normal in 3D modeling?
You could say they already are, as long as you're using a workflow that can deal with less then perfect topology.
>How long until retopo and unwrapping become obsolete?
You should try medium poly modeling with tri-planar projection aka the "star citizen" workflow. No need to retopo or unwrap anything, just model in all the detail you want, toss it in the engine, and texture it using shaders. Throw on some decals for extra diffuse or normal detail and call it a day. Only issue is that it's not compatible with light maps, so your engine better have dynamic GI.

>> No.606775

>>606747
not that guy, but here is the thing

Ptex has limitations, you need dense models
also some people still like to make edits in 2d

UV ampping can get easier, but never 100% automatic, because the machine still needs human imput, because the cereal box example

you think optimizing may not be this important in future, but the thing is, our current gen may be used for mobile games in future, just like hand painted low poly assets are used now.

>> No.606805
File: 90 KB, 658x458, mows.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whats the best way to start modeling a head for my Mickey? Should I start with a circle or with loops? The face isn't meant to be spectacularly detailed or anything

>> No.606827

I started burning out every week and I don't even have any pressure from the outside. It's all because of me.

Maybe this field is not for me.

>> No.606831
File: 586 KB, 1920x1050, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why did this happen?

>> No.606833
File: 272 KB, 1920x1050, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>606831
it doesn't seem to do this faceted effect if i choose not to preserve subd information in the fbx export window. why?

>> No.606836

>>606833
Smoothed normals..

>> No.606837

>>606836
but it was smoothed in daz...literally part of the subd info.

>> No.606845

>>606746
Not him, but it's got nothing to do with hate. Unwrapping is here to stay, and retopo will pretty much always need a human touch.

>>606775
This

>> No.606858

>>606827
Good news: Burnout is real in any field.

Bad news: Burnout is real in any field.

>> No.606966

>>602398

Not true. My thumbs are big enough to please your mom and I love this mouse.

>> No.607028

>>606656
My current job is literally just autodecimating and autounwrapping car parts for 8 hours a day. Extremely stimulating stuff. I've been manually unwrapping bolts to stave off the madness

>> No.607054

>>596261
>not based blendtec
That is the question

>> No.607195

>>597038
Oh shit, there's more episodes? I don't remember the original being called episode 1 the first time I saw it.

>> No.607290

When people say they have textured something with Photoshop, do they mean Quixel Suite? How do you even texture only with Photoshop? How can you preview the textures on your model?

>> No.607299

>>607290
The old-fashioned way: you unwrap your model, export an ID map or wireframe, and use it as an overlay to paint in the areas where your UV islands should be. When texturing manually, the rotation and positioning of elements in the UV map is much more important since you'll actually have to look for them.

>How can you preview the textures on your model?
You don't, it's all done blind. The best you can do is save the texture out and hit the reload button in your 3D software to update it and see the changes.

>> No.607316

>>607290
You can use projection painting to bring the current viewport view into your editing software of choice, paint there, and bring that back as a texture.

Example: https://youtu.be/z0qaB-y8qow?t=261

>> No.607400

>>605837
Bumping. Does anyone know?

>> No.607404

>>597726
>I don't even know why I spend so much time learning this craft
because you like it, right?

I thought noone would get into 3d, if they didn't enjoy creating shit.

>> No.607407

>>607404
It is one thing to do it as a hobby where you are free to do whatever you like, and the other to work in the industry where you'll be a monkey doing what he is told.

>> No.607408

>>607407
some people who work in industry are bosses, others are expendable grunts. Bosses love their jobs. If you're not a boss, well... :3

>> No.607411
File: 3.38 MB, 1920x1080, 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anon, help. Who does this character look like? Is there a person on this planet who would be similar to this renderer? I just can't remember.

>> No.607412

>>607408
Of course. I was thinking about the same thing these days, obviously like the rest of us, I'd also LOVE having a full control over everything, being a director of a project. And the more my skills advance and the more close I am to getting the job in the industry if I wanted to, the less motivation I have when I realize that this is not what I dreamt of at all. There is no fulfillment in simply creating shit for someone else. It's... Just not enough for me. It's tricky to admit that without looking like some egoistical millenial maniac, but I don't know why would that idea be so crazy. I want to tell my own stories, make my own name heard of, just like we all do.

I'd just make my own small game or an animated movie like Adam, where I take a full credit, but the shit part about 3D is that it's almost impossible to do it on your own. It takes too much time.

I wonder if it is even possible to rise to the director position as a 3D artist. I know that guy from Ubisoft did it as a concept artist though.

>> No.607413

>>607411
Emma Stone.

>> No.607415

>>607413
Anon, are you sure about that?

>> No.607417

>>607415
Are you kidding me? That's definitely her. Why are you asking? Whose model is it?

>> No.607419

>>607417
Mine, lol. That's my first work in CG. I wanted to create my favourite actress (Emma Stone), but now i'm not completely sure that my character looks similar to her (I have not finished yet). And i decided to ask Anon for help. For best result i didn't write the name.

>> No.607420

>>607419
Yeah, well, it's not perfect by any means, but I can clearly see the resemblance so gj. Are you sculpting or poly modeling and with what program? It doesn't seem like an easy task, do you have any drawing experience?

Btw, Emma is my favourite as well, no way I wouldn't recognize her in an instant.

>> No.607425
File: 779 KB, 1920x1080, 4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>607420
Thanks, Anon. I tried to make it better.
I used Blender for it (i just wanted to try, and Blender is free), and i used poly modeling.
And no, i have no drawing experience.

Another render for kind Anon. I know that figure looks not similar, and just used references of female's body. Not Emma's body (lol, if i just can find it...)

>> No.607430

>>607425
>decent rendering
>decent lighting with HDR
>full body with clothes
How long did this take you as a beginner? Something is fishy here, there's a lot of knowledge you need to acquire to achieve this.

>> No.607435

>>607430
Anon, i don't want to lie. I just wanted to get some advice to make my skills better.

>How long did this take you as a beginner?
I started in early January. Is it "beginner" or not? I watched tons of tutorians on YouTube and made, you know, cups, plates, pencils...

But after this, i decided to make something more interesting. And i started in the middle of January. I spent 1 month to make this model. Yes, i made full body with hair and clothes.

And i didn't find this kind of hard. Long - yes, painstakingly - yes.

If you want, i can tell you about process in detail (what i did, what i used and so on).

For lighting i use HDRI texture that i just found in Google search.

>> No.607439

>>607412
>It's tricky to admit that without looking like some egoistical millenial maniac
That's capitalism talking. No, it's not egotistical to want to create our own stories in our own voice. We all want that, and it has been that way since before the first cave paintings. It's just human nature to seek expression with freedom, and not to be constrained by anyone else's vision.

>> No.607465

Is cgpeers down for you guys? it's been down for like a day for me, I'm getting desperate.

>> No.607466

>>607465
Yep.

>> No.607477

>>607465
Same here, from Europe.

GFXPeers is online, though.

>> No.607576

>>607412
Working with great people on the same team may feel even better than your own vision of things.
You gotta have enough ego to admit that some people have more experience and are better than you at designing characters, choosing colors and other things, so in that way you kinda work with your idols. When your awesome concept artist gives you a piece to make it in 3d is a great thing, and they love seeing be done in different medium, because it's something they cannot do themselves.
Same goes for animators. They give life to your model and the other guy's concept. It's a group effort of people who excel in different fields to get the best results.

I want to do everything myself to have full control, and so I can say I've done everything all by myself, but the reality is it's going to take much longer, and being a Jack of all trades means I don't excel at anything.

>> No.607592

>>605479
This I'm literally crying at my iPad right now.

>> No.607838

A little question for /3/nons. What is your favourite part of 3DCG pipeline? Modeling, sculpting, rigging, animating, material creation, texturing...?

My favourite part is texturing because the model really starts coming to life at that point. It even helps me with motivation, because sometimes when I get sick of modeling and don't have a clear picture of a finished result in my head, I drop whatever I have to Substance Painter and apply some smart materials. If it already looks nice it gives me a huge motivational boost to finish what I started.

>> No.607839
File: 108 KB, 681x1023, SGA-S5-RM-GITM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>607838
>What is your favourite part of 3DCG pipeline? Modeling, sculpting, rigging, animating, material creation, texturing...?
jiggle physics. Titty, ass, tum tum, ball physics. Nothing better than being a physicist at the moment and it pays the best.

>> No.607888

>>607839
Wait, has the boobies equation been discovered?

>> No.607893
File: 16 KB, 886x483, axo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Aspiring blendlet here
When adding a subsurf modifier, is there really no other way to get sharp edges other than to add loop cuts to everything? I feel like it's unneeded vertices and makes for a poor model in the longrun, but I don't know.
heres an axe btw

>> No.607895

Any online character modeling courses for complete retards/beginners like myself?

>> No.607909

>>607893
>1 - learn about edge crease
>2 - you are subdividing, it's already a huge amount of vertices. You're supposed to bake it to a low poly version of a model to make it usable.

>> No.607910

>>607888
yes just recently it was discovered in an atom smasher in russia

>> No.607929

>>607910
You sure? I thought the discovery happened in the Hardon Collider...

>> No.607930

>>607895
There's one at CG Cookies that I'm doing at the moment, the Introduction to Character Creation course. It involves sculpting, retopo, rigging, posing. Pretty solid resource.

However you need to know at least some basics. There are courses for that at the same site, too.

>> No.607944

I was looking for the Grove 5 addon for Blender on CGPeers, and some people in the comments mentioned that it is only available on CGPersia. I thought these 2 names are the same thing? Even when I google CGPersia, I get CGPeers. How can I sign up on CGPersia if it's a different website, then? Also on 1st and 15th of a month?

>> No.608920

>reinstall 3dcoat
>import 1 cubic meter mesh
>can't zoom into it without camera clipping
>"near plane modulator" preference setting does nothing
now i remember why i uninstalled this

>> No.608921

>>607944
Persia and Peers are both hosted on the same server, but the former is a forum while the latter is a torrent tracker.
Sometimes the content that's on one is also mirrored on the other, but not always. And yes, Peers registration is open only twice a month, so it's another 3 days as of now.
Also, I checked both just now and it seems they only have Grove v3 back from 2016, there's no v5.

>> No.608966

>>608920
what about changing fov, or scene scale, or using orthographic?

>> No.609115

>>596714
Hi, better learn coding if you want make games, 3D modeling is more easy and should be secondary, learn lowpoly, UVmaps and riging for a determinated engine,
for example Unity, you going to find videos in youtube

>> No.609293

Are there some differences between Maya's and Max's Arnold renderer? I don't know which I should choose to properly learn. I don't have much of exp in Maya compared to Max, but that shouldn't matter that much since I just want to render my work with Arnold.

>> No.609456

This might be useful to you creature enthusiasts.

https://80.lv/articles/free-monster-kitbash-parts/

>> No.609460

>>609293
The only difference is the user interface. Hypershade vs Slate, rest should be identical.

>> No.609679

>>607838
I'd have to agree, although perhaps for a different reason. I can make textures until the cows come home (whatever that means), and my modelling isn't as impressive.

It's really motivating, though. If I keep at it, and improve to the point that my modelling's about the same, I could make a whole universe or some shit

>> No.609872

Perfect chance for /3/ to earn some $$$

https://www.freelancer.com/contest/make-me-any-fun-memes-or-any-laughable-image-must-be-your-own-work-not-copied-1270062.html

>> No.610690

Where can I get some good critique (and a lot of it)? I don't want to be average and I can't tell if I have a lot of potential or I'm wasting my time.

/3/ is too small.
Nobody gives a shit about each other on Polycount from what I've seen. Users just post their works and fuck off.
Subreddits like 3Dmodeling, Blender, UE4 etc. are tricky because: 1 - you are possibly getting advice from total amateurs and 2 - the visibility is based too much on the upboats so if I don't get enough of them fast, it won't snowball and I'll get almost no comments.

I feel like I hit the ceiling in my technical abilities in a year already, at least when it comes to environment art. I don't feel like I'm learning anything new with my projects anymore, it's just meditational production of assets and texture maps now. Only artistic area can always improve, but I'm lacking guidance.

>> No.610769

Why is it such a big deal if you use Blender and want to get a job, if a 3D artist will usually use a bunch of different software anyway? What I'm trying to say is this - if I only model in Blender, but I use Substance for texturing, WorldMachine and SpeedTree for environments, Zbrush for sculpting and UE4 for rendering, why would I be in a bad position just because I prefer to model in Blender? I'm bringing so many different skills in all of those programs they need to the table, and on top of it all, my creativity and personality. Why would anyone ignore all of that because of Blender, instead of just letting me get familiar with a modeling software of their choice? Doesn't make sense. Modeling is only a one part of the job.

>> No.610771

>>610769
It's just buyers remorse from people who purchased maya or 3ds.

>> No.610814

>>605151
>>605152
Dunno why, but I wanna see this cutie pie being totally ravaged by those creatures, and loving every second of it.

>> No.610863

How do you deal with a situation when your work kinda gets ignored? Does it make you lose your motivation or get motivated even more?

It happened again, I thought my project will be great and people will love it - I posted it in a bunch of places and... It just didn't get much traction. I imagine people were thinking "eh". I know that this is a definition of a first world problem, but it feels bad, man. I'm always in some bubble and crave for good critiques so I can improve, but 0 comments is worse to me than getting disliked to oblivion. I don't know what that means...

You know, I think I can explain it like this - you see some person heading in the wrong direction and wasting his time, but you don't tell him that, so you just keep your mouth shout and keep staring at him how he slowly continues his journey to a dead end. That person is me and I'm still afraid that I might be wasting my time. Honestly, I don't think I suck, but I might be more average than I think, and in this world it's basically the same.

>> No.610883

>>610690
cgtalk.com

>> No.610893

>>610863
Post work, then we judge.

>> No.610897
File: 423 KB, 1920x1080, mama_scene_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>610893
I don't know why it always ends up with "post work" when somebody writes a similar type of the post. I wanted to talk about this topic in general and not about my work, but fine. You've probably seen it, anyway, and I did get some feedback on /3/, though.

This month marks the first year of my endeavour in 3DCG, so this is probably the last render of my "Year 1", (far from the most complex one I did, though). I'm looking back at things I've done so that might be why I'm a bit fucked up atm.

>> No.612695

>>610897
I kinda like it. The lighting bugs me a little bit though. I guess it's the point you wanted to make by keeping it bright and flat, but the upper shadows make a weird vignetting effect imo.
I like how you used the same room in the painting in the left, but there's some different things like the lamp or the cups. Was that a previous render or something?
It's a good job overall anyway, nice one!

>> No.612708

Why is this board so slow? It makes me feel like nobody cares about 3D anymore

>> No.612710

>>612708
Something tells me this is just a 3D thing. All the 3D forums and discords are slow too, and it's quite annoying, but possibly normal for this interest.

>> No.612730

>>612708
>>612710
We are all grinding.

>> No.612969

I can't find any of those old flexlm crack files. awkeygen.exe and a few others. It's like all the file-sharing sites are gone.

>> No.612986

Is there a worse fucking forum than BlenderArtists?

>> No.612987

>>612986
/3/

>> No.612999

Are we being baited again?

https://80.lv/articles/a-collection-of-free-materials-for-blender/

>> No.613012

>>612999
Why do you say so? Those look decent enough.

>> No.613020
File: 38 KB, 500x269, 1444309769_fahrenheit-digital-skinning-for-feature-animation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are fahrenheit digital rigging tutorials for maya STILL reveleant?
they look really solid, but are *at least* 8 years old, so Im wondering if I should learn from them, or rigging advanced too much already. If so could you recomend something better?

>> No.613231

>>613020
pls respond.

>> No.613280

>>613020
>>613231
They should still be relevant. Most changes to rigging involves automating something, the basics hasnt changed much.
You can also watch this series for some more recent tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4XRgmTynY

>> No.613284

I have started learning Modo, after using Maya for years - will it get better? Is there a way to remap alt-shift-mouse movement to normal alt-middle mouse?

>> No.613387
File: 165 KB, 2016x1301, no new polygon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry if I'm a faggot for posting a question here, but the questions thread is already done and is sinking. Also sorry if the language is clumsy.
Can you guys help me? I'm a 3ds max 2017 noob, working with it because it's a part of study programm, one task needs us to do a mockup in 3ds max. Until yesterday extrude worked properly, you use the tool, drag or input value, desired polygon is extruded, edges also create side polygons. A plane becomes a sealed box. But yesterday it kinda broke. No matter how I try to do it, extrude just moves target polygon, creating only additional side ones, but not a new target one. So I just push the plane and sides stretch like rubber, instead of creating a sealed from all sides box. Capping an old border doesn't work, it's still there, just moved to a new position, new set of edges on the original place is not considered uncapped. Bridging, connecting edges over the space of lacking polygon doesn't work. I even tried to copy a polygon with shift and cap an extruded edges rectangle. Three vertexes welded, but fourth one always denies welding. I have no idea what to do. I already googled it with all wordings of this question that I could think of, tried every trick I knew to make it work.

>> No.613390

>>613387
looks like you gotta flip your shit m8

>> No.613392

>>613284
when you start out with modo it's fucking horrible, but then you get hang of it and love it. i switched from 3ds max and never going back
> Is there a way to remap alt-shift-mouse movement to normal alt-middle mouse?
input editor or use gay ass maya preset in settings

>> No.613395
File: 8 KB, 377x472, 2018-03-23_17-14-34.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>613390
Sorry for not getting it, but if by flip you mean a polygon command near an extrude and bevel button, then it doesn't help. Here's the screenshot. Still the same moving of polygon with edges producing new sides instead of creating a new one.

>> No.613397

>>613395
send me fbx with this mesh with edit poly modifier and preserve edge orientation uncheked in fbx export options. i'm online and will check it out.
don't have 3ds max installed, but i worked in it a lot before

>> No.613401

>>613397
Okay, how do I send it to you? Can't attach it as picture to post.

>> No.613402

>>613401
rgho.st
just drop it public and link it here
if 4chan filters the link just send me whatever after the slash

>> No.613404

>>613402
7X25jPpXC

>> No.613408

>>613404
https://media.giphy.com/media/nlZ4iwkXMaNNC3HhPp/giphy.gif
classic noob trap. extruded polygon edges with polygon itself extruded on top of extruded edges so normals all over the place and program has no fucking idea what is going on what what to extrude/move. just be careful with extruding everything you can. when shit starts to stack onto itself you're fucked. you need to remember that polys stacking onto each other is unacceptable.

also if you are actually interested in 3d check out arrimus 3d channel. best 3d teacher using 3ds max you can find.

>> No.613409

>>613404
just in case - tried repairing 3ds max and then uninstalling vray. Didn't help. Older files or new scenes are just as damaged. Like it's something that glitched in core program files, not in options or corrupted scene file.

>> No.613410
File: 1.49 MB, 300x300, 1463583482259.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>613409
dude you like just flipped some polys on accident, just take a look at the gif

>> No.613411

>>613408
Sorry to be so needy, but can you explain what is going on in your gif. I can't make out the commands' names. And the interface is unfamiliar for me. So I kind of need a simple explanation for cure.
Definitely will look into the youtube channel.

>> No.613413

>>613411
in modo flipped polygon (polygon that looks at "wrong side) is not visible at all. in max it has darker color han "proper" one. i spot flipped polygon, use "flip polygon command", then delete back of the box to see the face of another flipped poly, then i flip it again, and flip 4 more polygons. then i cap that hole i used as my window to flipped polygons. then i assign green material. when everything is directed in "proper" side i delete shading information from 3ds max (smoothing groups) to get rid of fucked up "checker" shading. then i use extrude tool on fixed mesh which is working alright as you can see.

>> No.613423

>>613413
Had to be away for a while. Thank you for taking time to explain, going to try it step by step immediately.

>> No.613438

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Xk0yR
>39 hours of tutorials about 4 substance designer materials
>15GB
Wowawiwa, now this is intimidating.

>> No.613457

How do i change Display Mode in the File Browser to Thumbnails as it's default? Every time i open it i have to switch from Short List to Thumbnails and it's kind of annoying.

>> No.613486

>>613438
most of this is not even voiced. you learn nothing more than from just opening substance file and looking how its made from start to finish.

>> No.613964

Anyone use Marvelous Designer? I never saw a thread about it

>> No.613997

>>613964
It’s fun for ripping clothes out. But unless you go deep into the software, you probably won’t go beyond two or three good faps.

>> No.615331

>>596242
the brain, because perception is reality?