[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 29 KB, 530x424, f9cb0d11c8c609bf97b42d3f465af77c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
585742 No.585742 [Reply] [Original]

Any good guides/tutorial/references for good female body topology geared towards animation?

I sculpted a stylized female body in Zbrush but I'm looking to retopologize it now. I googled it but there seems to be some different results in topology layouts.

Any good references for a good topology for the body?

>> No.585743
File: 86 KB, 736x644, 04f56d45b3dca2f1026ae1f514c59f84.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.585744

This book seems good, if you can find it http://hippydrome.com/

>> No.585745

>>585743
I have the head figured out. Trying to find a good layout for the body.

>> No.585749

>>585742
>I googled it but there seems to be some different results in topology layouts
cause there isn't THE topology, there are many possible ways of doing it which entirely depend on what the model should be able to do.

>> No.585754

>>585742
Alright here's what you do:
Model your female body, just the shape. Don't worry about topo. Be quick. Then, use live surface and quad draw in maya or something similar, to retopo. Then you'd have all the time in the world to figure it out and adjustments are easily made. I really like this method of modeling, for things I've never done before.

>> No.585769

>>585742
I retopo faces with zremesher ) and I get animatable topo.
I love Zbrush, it's so good if you are willing to learn

>> No.585775
File: 76 KB, 730x800, facial-muscles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>585742
Honestly before even getting into topology flow, study human anatomy.

Copying a topology flow doesn't teach you anything. You need to study up on muscles and how they move and to really understand what joints/vertieces/deformers are actually doing. Then when you look at topology flows you'll understand "why" they are laying them out that way.

If you look at a typical facial topology, and compare it to the muscle groups in the human face, you will see a lot of what I'm talking about. Muscles are all just based on pulling shit around.

People often forget that good 3D is built on a traditional art base.

>> No.586425

>>585769
>zremesher
>good outside zbrush

>> No.586427

>>586425
Topology is the same in every 3D program you fucking retard.

>> No.586473

>>586427
No it isnt you imbecile, zremesher is a poor excuse for replacing correctly done manual retopo

>> No.587970

>>585775
I certainly get your point but when you are just learning it's hard to make things that way.

For example when i mess things up (probably) with rigging I start to think that, maybe my topo is shit. I think copying while you are not competent is okay, so you can make working things in the end and see what makes it better or worse after getting there.

Also bump for good reads and tutos for topology and rigging.

>> No.587996

>good reads and tutorials for topology
hearing you say this makes it clear that you don't understand the purpose of topology, yet want to pursue it anyways.

Topology refers to the arrangement of edge loops over an ideally closed volume. Good topology will result in optimal deformation during animation, and optimal subdivision during tessellation.

In this case, a simple definition for ``optimal'' would be that fewer polygons in a given area are required to achieve the necessary surface contours after any deformation or subdivision operations.

The easiest way to achieve good topology is to predict what you are going to do with the model. If you are subdividing, you can get away with ngons and merging ngons on relatively flat surfaces.
In regions where significant deformation (animation) occurs, you probably can't ever get away with using ngons or merging edge loops.
When animating and subdividing (especially at the same time), the easiest way to minimize the number of polygons necessary to achieve a particular surface contour is to simply have the edge loops follow curvatures.
For a human, you would have edge loops following wrinkles and muscle groups, which is incidentally how most people tend to do it.