[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 1.21 MB, 720x404, 123431124125.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
577425 No.577425 [Reply] [Original]

>"3D modelers" have to create a whole model many times from shitty (or lack of) reference while having it require good topology it not looking shit etc. etc.
>Animators literally move it like a fucking puppet
>ged paid more
>VFX """"artist""" create some shit like water simulation or smoke
>Get also paid more

What is this fucking gay industry

>> No.577429

Animation is tedious and in a big way derivative of the model you work with. So less fun, less people flock to it, pays more.

There's a lot less vfx artist positions than other ones as far as i can tell, so there's a premium in good performance.

>> No.577431

>>577429
>There's a lot less vfx artist positions than other ones as far as i can tell
Doesn't make sense seeing as every fucking film uses CGI or any sort of VFX nowdays

>> No.577433

>>577431

You see more pants than cars too, does that necessarily mean more workhours go into pants production?

If a company makes products (3D animation) that include both work the modeling takes up a lot more wh. If its just live action movies with special effects added in they have large budgets and employ relatively small studios for special effects, so those fuckers might as well be good, since whole movie hinges on the effects not being crap and knocking you out of the immersion - premium for performance.

>> No.577434

>>577433

*mostly 3D animation

>> No.577440

Offer and demand. Not a lot of people want to go into animation or fx, so there's more demand there (especially fx artists for games right now).

The best example of this is art vs programming wages in games. Programmers' salaries have to compete with other industries, while 3D artists have nowhere else to go to and thus their wages can be lower.

>> No.577446

>>577425
Rigging is where the money is at.

>> No.577470

>>577429
This. For me making characters is all fun until I'm done rigging and skinning, but aside from basic posing I don't think I'd ever be able to pass for an animator. I'm sure I'd be able to learn it, but fuck that, I already need to juggle everything else.

>>577431
You also see that 90% of it is shit, maybe more.

>> No.577480

Only one of those three can largely be done in an Indian sweatshop, so you tell me.

>> No.577487

>>577425
>VFX """"artist""" create some shit like water simulation or smoke

Often requires high level mathematics and a genuine understanding of physics to get things looking right.

>Animators

Notoriously difficult to teach and tedious as fuck. Most likely they work the longest hours on the team.

>> No.577492

>>577487
with animation you only need 1 program. and need to handle 1 files format or maybe 2 at most.
and with today's animation and rigging tools there is no excuse.

for 3d artists? you have to know at least 7 programs at bare minimum. and if you get fired you have to diversify and get good at rendering or animation which is something you never done before.

>> No.577540

I'm a 3d artist and I'm thankful as fuck I don't have to do rigging/animating, it's extremely tedious

it's arguable which is more difficult or whatever but 3d art is far more leisurely

>> No.577553

>>577492
Those are just programs. They're just tools. Just because you have to learn more of them doesn't make it harder for you. Baka desu senpai, in my case, I find learning them trivial even.

>> No.577573

>>577425
>this fucking gay
you must be 18+ to post on 4gag

>> No.577593

>>577425
the dumbest post of this summer. you clearly have 0 idea how 3d works.

>>577573
and this

>> No.577594 [DELETED] 

lol
t. animator

>> No.577648

>>577492
Are you the same guy who whined about 3D artists being undervalued a while back?

I said it then and I'll say it again: virtually every job works like this. You have to learn the theories and the tools and if you get fired you have to adapt.
This is just life. 3D art is neither an exception nor especially difficult.

>> No.577652

>>577429
I think a big reason there's a low talent pool for fire/smoke/water effects is simply because of the fact that you need a ludicrously high spec PC to have any kind of efficient work flow or speed of learning.

I think if you make that huge investment you'd find it's not that hard.

Throw a skull or something through smoke and it would look cool, and Id have done nothing. But my PC will crash or take 30 minutes every time I want to see what a small tweak looks like.

>> No.577655

>>577648
no im not, im just pointing out facts.

it would take alot less time to train an animator than a 3D artist. its all the same shit at the end of the day, curve editor,timeline,frames,constraints,bones,action etc. im not even an animator and i do some animations from time to time.

an animator would never know whats its like to make a 100 node tree for a material or how to bake 7 different maps with 0 artifacts that is compatible with a specific engine

>> No.577656

>People say animation is hard when you can just throw a kinect from the XBone to your PC and you already are set in terms of humanoid animation

Wew

>> No.577657

>>577655
oh and to top it all off companies are willing to pay top dollar for animations like in mass effect. animators don't even do rigging (like that was even challenging to begin with)

>> No.577658

>>577655
>its all the same shit at the end of the day, sculpting, retopo, unwrapping, baking...

See when you say it like that anything sounds easy.

>> No.577659

>>577658
there is a world of difference. 3d artist can really fuck up your game if the models are bad. people don't really pay attention to the animations, especially the face.
most cutscene animations i see the player don't even spread his fingers, in most cases the player don't even blink

>> No.577661

>>577659
>people don't really pay attention to the animations, especially the face.

Wrong
And games are not the only thing 3D

>> No.577663

>>577425

Animation should be classified as torture for how fucking repetitive it is.

I think they get paid more just to keep them all from collectively offing themselves.

>> No.577699

>>577659
Then explain the Andromeda shitstorm due to facial animations.

>> No.577705

>>577699
Andromeda was an unfinished, badly planned, badly managed clusterfuck of epic proportions.
The fact that the people got hung up on the facial animations just illustrates your point.
The other anon is wrong.
If you take a look at the models of Andromeda, they are not bad from a technical perspective. But the animation is, because its unfinished and unpolished.
Because animation needs more time and is more prone to bug out.

At the end of the day does it make much difference for the customer?
A bad model with good animations is crap, the reverse also.

>> No.577707

>>577705
TL;DR You're wrong that people don't pay attention to the animations. They do.

>> No.577709

>>577707
Did you even read my post. I am another Anon and i agree with you.
People might not pay much attention to animation when its serviceable, but when its shit, people get it.

>> No.577794

>>577425
I'd imagine modelling is the easiest part. You copy your art departmen's work, rig it, and thats it.
VFX are the programmers and literally have to come up with their own methods to make things work.
Animators have to work their asses off day and night, moving everything inch by inch.

Maybe you should stop crying and do your work.