[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 227 KB, 1121x616, ddo_merc_girl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
569204 No.569204 [Reply] [Original]

Not trying to start anything here... just trying to decide which one should i focus on learning since my workflow is so dated that still includes traditional photoshop texturing.

Could anyone provide a comparative a list of pros and cons or provide some educated opinion so i can compare DDO to SP2? Thanks.

>> No.569205

She looks like she just took a dive in a dumpster and some random pieces of trash stuck to her body.

>> No.569268

Does nobody here PBR? come on guys... i need some help here. I don't want to learn both programs.

>> No.569269

>>569268
Both of them are good. I would go with quixel since you are already used to photoshop workflow.

Personally I like substance more; but in my opinion no one should get with painter only, designer is a must too if you want to do something decent with substance

>> No.569270

Quixel has never worked reliably for me or been stable for me. It's also slower and has what I consider a more disorganized workflow. Substance has been the exact opposite for me.

>> No.569280

>>569204

i always go with substance. quixel is good for automatic texturing but when it comes to changing something in layer then its a heavy shit even to find it. NDO is good.

>> No.569298

>>569268
I usually import Quixel textures, then import them into Designer. From there I create a smart material with a lot of nice options, and then import that into Painter. I'm basically asking why not both? Especially since Quixel has Megascans and nice DDO textures, and Substance has Substance Live, Designer, and Painter. Don't limit yourself to either one, use both.

>> No.569305

>>569268
i fucking love me a pbr after a long day of work

>> No.569320

>>569298

Is this fast? I am more of a modeler and animation guy myself and using only photoshop is slow as fuck so i some times do some painting on zbrush, which is pretty decent but it's no PBR.

I would like to get better results but also shorten the gap between making the model and start animating.

>> No.569325

Substance:
Pros:
-Can share your workflow with others thanks to smart materials and presets
-Good integration with designer, to make base materials you can tweak (takes some work and a lot of learning to get started)
-Stable, fast
Cons:
-Presets are kinda shit, you're better off making your stuff from scratch a lot of the time
-Can't think of any other issues RN

Quixel:
Pros:
-Great material library
-You've got NDO
Cons:
-Memory hog (blame Photoshop)
-Runs absolutely horrible

>> No.569329

Quixel need to write a proper stand alone program instead of using PS.

>> No.569332

>>569325
agree, I started with quixel, and kinda preffer it till today, I'm getting slicker results with it. but damn it's heavy.. and updates so slowly as you add and add details

>> No.569339

>>569204
OP learn Substance Painter first. They have shit-tons of learning material on their youtube channel.
Long-term learn both and take also a look at Mari.

>> No.569345

>>569339
Mari is only good if you need to work with 32k maps so you can texture the skin pores on Benedict Cumberbatch's ass for a film.

>> No.569346

>>569325
>>569339

Thanks guys, i guess i'll try substance first but NDO looks nice too so i guess there is no way around it but to learn both eventually.

They seemed pretty similar to me but if there is some sort of additive workflow to this then learning both can't hurt.

Here hopping the learning curve is not too step. I've lot of catching up to do...

>> No.569347

>>569320
Polypainting in zBrush is really important as I don't feel very comfortable doing it in Painter, though I'm sure you could. All you really have to do is know Substance Painter and Designer because importing the textures out of DDO is very fast and easy. Then you can either A) learn Designer to create any kind of texture you want, including zBrush AAA quality tiles, or B) just learn Painter and still have a great toolkit for texturing your meshes. A good example of quality from Designer below.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/y3y8J

>> No.569353

>>569347
I think Polypainting sucks in Painter, 3d coat is the best for handpainting, but zbrush is also good, I was hoping that they'll add some tools for it in R8,

>> No.569354

>>569353
Yeah 3dcoat is good too. Do learn Substance, but also use DDO/Megascans so you can have the best of both worlds.. Good luck.

>> No.569360

...and yet all the best work comes out of MARI 3. Why cling to the past with Quixel / Substance?

>> No.569361

>>569360

foundry products are many muns

>> No.569362

>>569361
what did you mean by this?

>> No.569364

>>569361
this is the shittiest point you can bring up in downplaying software. "muhhh I don't like devs, they are mean"

I have not tested mari myself, but I think it's very good, I hesitated because I could not find any new-good character texturing tutorials besides 1-2 of them and both were realistic skin shading.

>> No.569445

Any opinions on bitmap2material?

>> No.569487

>>569445
Designer can do exactly the same thing, but with tons of more options.

>> No.569494

>>569268
>tfw just use Substance Painter and assume I'm getting PBR

Am I doing it right?

>> No.569577

Any good tuts for Substance then? i've watched some from DT (or whatever they are called now) but those where for 1.0 and the interface looks kind of different from 2 or 2017.

>> No.569735

Substance is better. espesically if you are good with designer aswell.

>> No.570205

hardsurface weapon artist here - i've picked up SP2 over quixel because of more control over the layers, not lookign like a one big photoshop ghetto hack, and overall better tools for fine-control of whats happening on the screen. Mind you, some base materials before go to SP2 can be generated in quixel, its just... not that good.

>> No.570520

>>569204
Just thought I'd throw it out there that the Substance programs are at 50% off during the steam summer sale. I contacted the devs and they gave me the standalone licenses as well.

>> No.570523
File: 84 KB, 900x900, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>570520
>paying any amount for software