[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 69 KB, 1280x720, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
494492 No.494492 [Reply] [Original]

im kinda on edge here. On one end, you have the film industry, which is considered alot more professional and you'll get tons of bitches, also true photorealistic cg is great.

on the other hand, we have gaming, which is catching up, especially with advances like Unreal Engine 4.

So what do you prefer /3/?

>> No.494495

most 3d studious in my country are dealing with interior/architecture design and product design.

games is kinda niche and takes more skill as well im assuming, with film you might need proper credentials

>> No.494501

>>494492
Film and television animation tends to be ruled by overseas production houses, unless you're lucky enough to be working on smaller, local productions. Or, if you happen to be a creative lead.

Game animation can be pretty stressful, and most big-studio production jobs are term contracts. Smaller companies tend to hold onto their leading animators, but that's often because those animators defined the aesthetic for the company. They're also probably one of the founders, as it's pretty common for a bunch of programmers and animators to get together and start a studio.

Do look into medical companies, schools, advertising firms, architectural firms, and just about any sizable organization that has an in-house graphics or media group.

Animation isn't just film and games. Please god, don't let it just be film and games.

>> No.494507

You know you don't have to go into any induustry, you can just create w/e and see where it takes you.

>> No.494527

>>494507
With all the trends in automation and outsourcing this is your best bet. I had dreams of getting a job in vidya but now I'm diversifying my goals and I'm gonna try and get I game I made myself greenlight. Don't need a "job" if you can make your own finished products.

>> No.495064

>>494501
>Do look into medical companies
expect to have a degree in art focused on medical illustration, which is aimed at anatomical accuracy to a degree that will make you laugh every time you see guro or mid-tier gore sfx, and ask yourself if you're going to earn anything near your worth 3d modeling when Zygote has had a lock on the field since the late 1990s.

I mean, if you want to work for Zygote, do it but otherwise you might end up making anatomical model apps for mobile devices or sports medicine.

>> No.495067

>>494492
> film industry
I hope you grew up in southern California and have been interning/networking with SFX people for the last 5 years, and have a 3 minute demo reel.

> game industry
Publishers have webpages advertising positions that are relatively clear what kind of experience they expect. Find them, bookmark them and level up to what they need. Don't waste their time until you can.

The sticky for /3/ needs to have a section talking realistically about people in their 20s just now deciding they want to learn 3D working for other people because the expectations are denial-level optimistic.

Not saying you CAN'T become successful but if you're asking 4chan how to enter a field (any field), God help you.

>> No.495146

>>495064
I know people who model teeth.

Just teeth.

>> No.496351
File: 29 KB, 281x440, 1436392083577.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>494492

> film industry, which is considered alot more professional and you'll get tons of bitches

> true photorealistic cg

top lol

Real time render is the future, also the AAA game industry requires film industry professionals.

>> No.496934

just make a reel with beautiful art. If your reel is good enough you will have film AND game companies wanting to hire you for their junior positions, then you get to pick where you want to go.

The reality is you will probably hit a point where you just need a job, and you will be applying to all the places you can. no need to be picky, just get your foot in the door somewhere. the idea of getting 'pigeon holed' is mostly bullshit IMHO.

Don't stress about it yet and focus on making your portfolio stand out. More than ever people cross between the industries, especially modelers/texture artists.

source: i am a cg sup at a large facility in los angeles doing commercial and film work, and for some reason browsing 4chan in the middle of the night.