[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 2.41 MB, 4096x4096, space.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
486161 No.486161 [Reply] [Original]

I'm trying to make a simple recreation of Interstellar's wormhole in Maya. What I have is just an HDRI image of space surrounding a transparent sphere with a high index of refraction, it comes pretty close to what it looked like in the movie without being very complicated. I can't figure out how to get the distortion effect around the sphere though, I want it to look like light is bending around the sphere. I've seen a lot of black holes done in 3d that have this effect but I can't find any good tutorials for them in Maya. Any ideas?

>> No.486162
File: 129 KB, 1919x1079, worm_f3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Exampe of the effect I'm trying to get. Made in Blender by some other guy

>> No.486163
File: 165 KB, 480x480, GHMmokW.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another example. Made in After Effects

>> No.486165

>>486161

You need a map in your falloff

>> No.486166

>>486165
Can you elaborate?

>> No.486200

>>486161
I attempted exactly this in blender a few weeks ago. The term you need to google is gravitational lensing and can be faked using a setup of crossfading high refraction lenses locked to point at the camera. Also since it's a wormhole, you might want a different HDRI map inside the sphere. You can use spacescape for that. I was going for the whole travelling effect as a VR animation, but i soon discovered that it'd be impossible/hardmode to animate in one continuous scene without actually modelling the entire universe. The wormhole sphere itself was pretty easy to make.

>> No.486208

you could have two spheres one inside of the other. The first one with the same ior and the second with some kind of radial transparency that fades out the hard edges

>> No.486232
File: 491 KB, 1083x724, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>486200
That's the trick, thanks. Works perfectly. My only problem left is that I need the lens to only reflect the background HDRI image, not the hidden one surrounding the wormhole.

This is my scene setup. I have a sphere with the wormhole's reflected texture surrounding the sphere representing the wormhole. It's hidden when rendered but still refracts through objects. Then I have an HDRI sphere with a starfield texture around that. I need the lens to only refract the image from the larger background HDRI sphere and remain unaffected by the wormhole's HDRI sphere.