[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 1.73 MB, 1308x1440, greyscale_concepts_final.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
484008 No.484008 [Reply] [Original]

Need beginning tutorial on Zbrush to rigging animation in 3DS Max......I basically want to take a monster from Zbrush and use Max for a simple animation.....

>> No.484009

>>484008

>open 3dmax
>hit f1
>type in rigging and/or animation

>> No.484012
File: 35 KB, 702x396, B8PBWu6IAAAI8D-.jpg large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>484008
Anon will use GOZ a lot on this one.
Careful which version of MAX you use: some too new or too old won´t export well to zbrush, and exporting to OBJ or something between programs is a pain.
Basically, you will be using Zbrush to accelerate organic modeling, re-meshing, unwrapping and painting textures, but you´ll probably also use max a lot to rebuild/refine eye areas and fix the lowpoly export.

>> No.484672

>>484008
how does one keep nice edges like that and keep the model tight??
look at all the little holes, nooks and carnies
my only problem with sculpting is that, i cant keep the model tight where you can easily see the firm muscles and bones and whatever. everything i make looks mooshy soft and goopy. and no i do not subdiv model fast i stay low poly for a long time

any tips?

>> No.484681

>>484672
>and no i do not subdiv model
Well that's your problem. You should be working with dynamesh until you have all your major forms and holes in place, then do a ZRemesher with some guide curves and now work with subdivision levels. Use the pinch brush to tight up crevices on the lower levels. From there it's easy sailing.

>> No.484683

>>484681

i do... here is my workflow in a nutshell

build my mesh with zshpares. get the adoptive skin at 2 subdivis (around 3000 polys) and use the movetool to adjust it as much as i can.

than i subdiv to about 120k-200k polys (still fairly low) and work on that, if i see that some areas are still to stretched i delete lower and dynamesh.

yet everything looks mooshy as fuck.
im not new to zbrush, its just that 1 problem i cant grow out of. i can show you my last model but its shameful display

>> No.484688

>>484683
Don't bother with adaptive skin... that's probably part of your problem. Create your ZSphere armature if yo need to, and then dynamesh to like around 56 density. Build your forms at that detail level, then double the resolution, continue building forms, and each time you reach a detail limit, double or triple the density. Keep things like the arms, ears, legs, fingers, toes separate when working with dynamesh until you're at a very high dynamesh resolution that when they mesh together, the creases will be nice and tight. Then you can go on to ZRemeshing it and refining the forms and moving on up to the finest details.

You have to progressively work up your detail levels, or else you end up with blobby forms. Also, use the alternate smooth method most of the time (start smoothing and let go of shift immediately, it switches to a volume preserving smoothing that also tries to reduce pinching/poles).

Sure, post one of your models dude!

>> No.484704

>>484688
>Don't bother with adaptive skin... that's probably part of your problem

wtf are you talking about, create adaptive skin sjust takes your zshpares and creates the same model as a editable poly in another layer so u can come back to your zshape later, it literally changes nothing

>> No.484709 [DELETED] 

>>484688

im back and here is my latest garbage,

first 2 pics are the low poly (3200 poly) model fresh out of zshphares and adjusted ready for the next step. last picture is the point where i gave up because the model wsnt going anywhere, its mooshy, its lumpy and its ugly.

ill post a pic of the concept art of what i was trying to make

>> No.484710
File: 1.26 MB, 2246x2408, ff.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>484688

im back and here is my latest garbage,

first 2 pics are the low poly (3200 poly) model fresh out of zshphares and adjusted ready for the next step. last picture is the point where i gave up because the model wsnt going anywhere, its mooshy, its lumpy and its ugly.

ill post a pic of the concept art of what i was trying to make

>> No.484711
File: 92 KB, 400x545, e265c3a093[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>484710
>>484688

the concept art i was working from

look around the mouth and inside the gyms, al that small and tight detail, and the tight muscular wrinkles on the side of the neck.

>> No.484714

>>484711

Just go in closer with smaller brushes and lower strength and keep on cleaning up as you subdivide more. I don't see the problem here.

>> No.484715

>>484710

You're doing pretty well but that tail slopes down at a crazy angle, it looks like someone broke it. Adjust the tail so that its more inline with the rest of the spine and more of a natural curve

>> No.484721

>>484710
You problem is lack of practice on the details and refinement.

>> No.484723

>>484710

Your problem is a lack of dedication. Just keep working on it.

It's like working with real clay. Rough shapes -> final shapes -> detailwork

You're skipping the last step and throwing all your previous work away.

>> No.484725

>>484723

idk man, sometimes i make stuff that looks really god than i make stuff that looks like i just downloaded zbrush yesterday... but i been having this lumpy soft problem for over 6 months with no advancement.. ill keep working on it i guess...

>> No.484758

>>484710
It looks like you don't have a great understanding of how muscles work and general functional muscle anatomy. The way muscles flow between joint types is fairly consistent throughout nature due to their being a most optimal method. It's mainly a difference in how big those muscles get. Your muscles look randomly thrown on and very hard in areas, they also don't seem to be flowing across the surface in a consistent line, with weird bends in the muscle that can't happen... It throws off the realism and is giving you that blobby look.

Study how animals look, try to find some nice detailed animal models and look at how their surfaces flow.

>>484711
You misjudged a lot of the forms on this concept. Especially those eyes on the jaw, they look like holes on your model. Also, why is the secondary finger on the claws so much tinnier on yours than it is in the concept? and hanging so low? In the concept they are side by side, the smaller one is not really lowe, and it's only a tiny bit smaller, yours look like a toothpick.

You really have to develop a better sense of medium forms, because that is where the bulk of your model's look is going to come from. Understand what visually pleasing form transitions look like and practice creating them.

>> No.484770

>>484008
That's easy. You go to the skeleton prefabs then and you'll have a bunch of skeletons to pick from drag it out and then pose it on your monsters.

you've now rigged it, if you want to skin it that's an entirely different ball game.

rigging is just posing a skeleton
skinning is attaching the skeleton to your mesh.

>> No.485016
File: 95 KB, 1602x328, 1d64949356[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>484008
lol i just found the tutorial of that model :)