[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 605 KB, 1024x1024, diffuse[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
479232 No.479232 [Reply] [Original]

hey /3/, i really want to learn how to do hand painted textures like LOL, WOW and DOTA2.
i been experimenting this past 2 days and failing hard. found few helpful tutorials but most are just "speed painting" shit

you guys got any helpful tips/tutorials u can throw my way?

and is it better to paint in photoshop or zbrush

>> No.479233

look up polypainting

>> No.479235

>>479232
>>>/ic/2065206

>> No.479236

a technique I like is this:

set all your models up with appropriate materials, shiny and reflective, diffused w/e. and then back the lighting onto them. Then you take that baked texture and use it as a guide for painting it by hand in photoshop or something.

>> No.479253

bump cuz of interest

>> No.479261

>>479236
hat kind of brush do you use in photoshop? square, round, round soft, how high low is your opacity?

>> No.479271

>>479232
Brush up on color theory.

Tbh I prefer standard brushes in photoshop Opacity should be changed as needed.
Another thing to remember is that there is no 100% of any color. IE. Do not use 100% black, or 100% white.
Also learning how to blend colors is necessary as well.

If you're feeling adventurous you could try out 3D Coat as well. I know quite a few blizzard artists use it.

>> No.479280

>>479271

3d coat is usually for AAA next gen realistic games. blizzard still uses Photoshop on almost everything.

ik some blizard artist when creating stock textures EX: stone wall. wooden floor, rusty metal actually create the object in zbrush, render out AO, normal (green channel) and cavity and few other maps and overlay them before painting over them.

now the painting over them is my problem atm, everything comes out looking smudged and gross and no cartoony hand painted feel

>> No.479310

>>479280
Well then you're just not good enough at painting. That's it. Practice painting.

>> No.479345

>>479280
>3d coat is usually for AAA next gen realistic games.
You're wrong.
>blizzard still uses Photoshop on almost everything.
I never said blizzard used 3d coat. I said blizzard artists use 3d coat. Reading comprehension pls.

>>479280
>ik some blizard artist when creating stock textures EX: stone wall. wooden floor, rusty metal actually create the object in zbrush, render out AO, normal (green channel) and cavity and few other maps and overlay them before painting over them.
Yes, some people do that. Some people just go into photoshop and paint, while others use 3dcoat to just paint directly on their models. There are many different work flows, it's just up to you to find one you're more comfortable with.

>now the painting over them is my problem atm, everything comes out looking smudged and gross and no cartoony hand painted feel
Like the anon above me said, you just need to practice more. This will not come to you over night. You need to practice and get comfortable with brushes.

If you haven't done this already, make a pinterest and look up hand painted textures/workflows/inspiration/etc. John Parrot is a fantastic artist to look up, and you can also go to polycount's handpainted thread for better help that industry professionals actually visit.

>> No.479346

>>479345
>you can also go to polycount's handpainted thread for better help that industry professionals actually visit.
Inderpstry pros here too bro, and no need for the bullshit on registered forums.

>> No.479351

>tfw I realized that basically 90% of modeling is texturing.

I can make a really great fully-rigged humanoid model, but without great textures, it'll look like total garbage. You can make blocky low-poly stuff look absolutely insanely good if you got great textures.

I just can't draw very well at all.

>> No.479358

>>479232
But wow is terrible.

>> No.479362

>>479358
no u

>> No.479364

just looking at some hand painted stuff on polycount and god i wanna get good so badbut idk where to even start with painting textures.i tried once and it was just a mess. i used regular round brush with like 10% opacity, the colors didn't mix well. u should see the brush strokes on the textures it was just garbage

>> No.479366
File: 278 KB, 1280x785, 99WI9z6[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>479364

thought this was cool

>> No.479367

anyone know if there is a way to paint directly onto the UV map in zbrush instead of the model itself? as in to bring in say a 500 tri model o zbrush and paint on a 1024x2014 texture map. cuz in zbrush you gotta have really high poly count to paint

>> No.479370

>>479367
use 3dcoat for that. it's way better.

>> No.479388
File: 322 KB, 584x711, 215.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I dont want to sound like a meanie and discourage you guys but to make good hand painted textures you need to git good 2d painting skills, especially digital painting, but painting with real paint IRL will also help you.

There are no shortcuts or techniques that can create a good hand painted textures look if you cant paint. I would look at some digital painting tutorials. Dont know if /ic/ can help you, dont know that board well, they are probably shit. Also a tablet is a must.(You can do hand painted textures with a mouse too, but only if you know what you are doing and are good enough already, means prior expirience with tablet) You can do good with a cheapish wacom bamboo. Actually I prefer smaller tablets, because at a certain size the tablet just is too big to handle, so dont go overboard and buy the biggest you can get, but that might be just my preference.

Doing 2d art will help you with your 3d stuff and if you are already good with 3d it should be easier for you to learn 2d painting.

>> No.479389

>>479388
/ic/ is more helpful than this board by far, it's also more active

>> No.479390

>>479388
wrong very wrong i have created a material in zbrush than can turn your simple polypainting instantly into very detailed handpainted texture, i got offers from ppl to buy that material from me

>> No.479391

>>479390

How about you post the results of your material and let us judge if it is any good and comparable to actual hand painted textures?

>> No.479401

>>479390

Also if it looks goode and is comparable to actual hand painted textures(which I doubt) this workflow would be way too time consuming and overly complicated. Making a detailed sculpt, then a low poly model(or the other way around) and then bake the textures would take much more time than just making a low poly model and paint textures on top.

A skilled artist can produce low poly model with hand painted textures at an incledible speed compared to some high poly low poly texture baking technique. Obviously both have their purpose, but you are only going to shoot yourself in the foot if you make the hand painted look in such an unnecessary convoluted manner. It goes pretty much against the point of using a hand painted look instead of realism, its a fast way to get things done, if you have the artistic skill.

>> No.479413

>>479401

from what i saw here, blizzard models all of thair textures in zbrush than renders like 6 passes than paints it on almost all of thair textures

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125737

for painting in photoshop. what brush do i even use, basic circle? or...

>> No.479423

>>479413
whatever brushes you want for the effect/texture you're going for... don't worry about that now learn to draw and paint.

>> No.479424
File: 107 KB, 414x297, 4695835+_92e3b3a7d4065703e0c80eed9276d47b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>479423
buckle up kids, this is gonna be a long journey

>> No.479433

>>479232

here you go

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterArtGuide.pdf

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterTextureGuide.pdf

>> No.479450

>>479433
how can one render a point light? can this be done in xnormal?

>> No.479471

>>479450
A point light is just a vector in space treated by the shader as a source for omnidirectional light. Like the light coming from a light bulb without a lamp shade.

This might go by another name in your package. Like in max this is a 'omni' light. In blender google says it's called 'lamp'.

>> No.479482
File: 30 KB, 535x143, yQ0dLrQ.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>479471

>> No.479501
File: 646 KB, 700x1561, digital-painting-tutorial-google.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>479413

For starters basic round brush should do it to lay down basic shapes and gradients, after that you can apply texture brushes for for the texture of the surface.

At first I would only paint in grayskale/black and white and add a color layer afterwars, then you should learn about colour theory and paint directly with the colour selected instead of colorizeing a grayskale painting. You dont have to paint directly with the colour instead of a grayskale, but its a very handy skillset to have and a good way to understand colour better.

Most artists use a mix of grayskale and painting colour directly, first they lay down basic form in grayskale, then they colourize it with a colour layer and paint onward with direct colour.

>> No.479515

>>479471
>>479482

so basically in 3ds max (what i use) just bring my high poly model and low poly. add a sky light and a omni light source on top (or where i want the light to hit) and just render out a complete map like i would if rendering a AO?

wonder if i can render out light information map in zbrush cuz that would be a lot better.

>> No.479516

>>479501
Looks horrible, and doesnt look like skin at all.

>> No.479518
File: 643 KB, 1920x1080, roshanaxe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>479391
>>479401
total hours of painting 1hour the rest i used my 2 self made materials to make it look handpainted
i created this materials within the zbrush and its for zbrush only i am selling the method for 30 dollars

>> No.479519
File: 1.66 MB, 2048x2048, epicmat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>479518
>>479391
>>479401

>> No.479520

>>479518
btw the weapon you see is only 500 triangles and its for dota a weapon pack i am working on

>> No.479531
File: 75 KB, 847x1256, void.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this new fucking cache comes out
>all these effects

That ball, those eyes and dynamic flame thingies... Can you make that shit normally or do you need to kiss a special crevice on a dev's body to get a special deal and an access to shit like this? I don't see normal couriers/sets utilizing these effects at all.

>> No.479533

look for anuxinamoon's channel on twitch and check out her past broadcasts. her sets are some of the most successful on the dota 2 workshop and she has streamed the entire process content creation process multiple times for different projects, including texture painting.

>> No.479534

>>479531
I'm sure you don't need special permissions, but if they like your stuff enough they will likely hold on to it for a long while so they can put it in one of their more special hatboxes to sell more units. IE that Doom set was on the workshop for almost a year, everyone wanted it but valve never to greenlit it, big International time comes around and suddenly the set is 1 of 11 sets (most hat boxes have 8), and on top of that only people who have already spent at least 9.99 USD on the International Compendium can even purchase the hatbox.

>> No.479538

>>479534

I'm permanently frustrated with how little data I see on item development in dota 2. They give you those two silly guides about color and maps, pat you on the buns and send you off to fumble about...

Where do I find out how to apply these effects? I'll take the risk of waiting for shit.

>>479533

Last time I checked there was nothing on her twitch besides maybe 2-3 vids where she was just painting/sculpting. No dota-related technicalities at all. Kind of annoyed me, I know how to sculpt a horn already, damnit.

Also it's been rumored she gets special treatment now since she puts out content regularly and they greenlight it even when it's sort of crap at this point.

>> No.479542

>>479538
The last time I checked her archive went all the way back to when she first streamed and included her early sets. That was quite some time ago, though.

>> No.479548

>>479516
>>479501
It looks like garbage because of the common mistake that shade = dark grey/black.

Particularly noticeable on skin.

>> No.479604

>>479236
Ay that's smart

>> No.479618

>>479542

Twitch's weird. If I search for her videos I get page upon page of them (in unorganized strings), if I look at her account i see 10 vids... Is this my browser fucking with me or twitch itself?

>> No.479621

>>479232
I'd recommend if you want to learn how to paint objects about learning about how to concept because it flows into texturing.

>> No.479780

>>479621
Translation?

>> No.479783

>>479780
If you want to learn how to paint objects, i'd recommend learning about how to concept, because it flows into texturing.
Just a guess.

>> No.479805

>>479232
it depends. when i got my model on the dota 2 i used zbrush > maya > photoshop. IT was ages ago and my model isnt tat great, but i was lucky at the time since it was on early beta and there was not too many good entrys on the workshop. The best way to understand it is basicly : following the top artists on the twitch tv, they are mostly from polycount froum. here are some places you can learn :
twitch - tvidotto
this dude is more of an rigger, than an artist but he is pretty competent.
twitch - Anuxi
this girl is top seller on dota i think.

they usually tell you stuff on the streaming if you ask, and there is also a huge bunch of reading material on the forum also. normally what i see is painting on photoshop, but i saw some nice tutos using painting on mudbox. There is probably good ways to do it on zbrush also but i never saw it.

>> No.479822

>>479805
got anymore twitch niggas with prerecorded vids of modeling/texturing i can follow?

>> No.479874
File: 82 KB, 1299x560, 60521ec5e6[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i was just experimenting with the DOTA 2 texturing ways to see what i can come up with and this was the result. the point light realy ads a lot to the model. ik this looks trash but the concept works.
also i used a standard white mat with standard light to bake it out.i heard u can use mr light with mr materials to bake out rubber, stone, metal any type of material as a prebaked texture to make ur texturing job a hell of a lot easier since u no longer have to worry about painting the proper amount of shine and shadow . i might try rendering a diamond soon, ill post results (since gems are kinda tricky to texture