[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 181 KB, 658x370, boneys.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
431371 No.431371[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

just jumped from Mudbox to Zbrush. Thought I should try out sculpting in HD, and it's been pretty tedious all round. Would it be better to just apply bump maps in Maya for fine detail, and simply use displacement maps from the Zbrush detail? Is it worth all the time spent in HD? I'm creating a skeleton-zombie character, similar to the "boneys" from Warm Bodies.

>> No.431424

>>431371
well. the question you should ask is are you going to be zoomed in or rendering at 4k+ to make all the detail tha hd detail would give you worth it?

personally, i see 10 million ot 20 million polys as good enough, all you really need to do is plan around what parts are getting extreme close ups.

>> No.431426

>>431424
you dont use polycount to measure detail. you always use normal maps for fine detail so you can easily have a 100 million sculpt thats baked into a normal map.

tldr dont post here for a while dumb anon

>> No.431448

>>431426
Are you assuming he didn't know the 10 or 20 million sculpt wouldn't be baked into a normal as well, dumb anon?

>> No.431450

>>431426
In Zbrush, fine detail is measured in polycount, until the normals are extracted.

>> No.431462

>>431371
>just jumped from Mudbox to Zbrush.

it always comes on your future texture size. the details go down to the 1 pixel stroke. scroll out to the possible cammera position and you will get quickly how detailed you can go. unless you are doing the sculpt for games that is something where curves should just be fluide.

>> No.431693

>>431426
im >>431424

i tried to look up what a 20 million poly sculpt looks like, but its honestly a lot harder than i thought to find exact poly sculpts, try and find one yourself, and look at the exact detail you are getting out of 20 million pollies. if you have all the major landmarks done, all the form, than wouldn't it be easier to add in all the really fine detail through editing the texture instead of trying to sculpt the detail? but even before that, how much of a close up would you need to make a hd sculpt worth it? i'm basing 20 million polys off what my modest computer should be able to handle without needing to restrict my vision in hd sculpt mode.

>> No.431695

>>431693
you need a hell of a lot of polys for 4k. And thats where we're at. Every current movie is rendered at 4k, same with every creature on TV. And PC gaymers are aching for 4k content.

>> No.431736

>>431695
now tell me that getting the 4k map is only possible through the sculpting process and not a more simple one.

also, 4kx4k is 16 million, that is the total size of a 4k screen, so if you have a 4k map that is anything less than taking up an entire 4k screen, you wasted time. its why im saying look into how close you need to get and only do those sections in extreme detail.

also most people are on 1920x1080, so that is 2 million points~ probably close to what you want to target anyway.

and considering that nothing can handle 4k at reasonable frame rates, no... no pc gamers aren't aching for 4k content... retards are, but not gamers.

>> No.431740

>>431736
4k is 3840 x 2160 anon. You didnt waste any time. You have close up shots, you have far in. You _need_ to get with the times, gay. Sorry you cant afford equipment

>and considering that nothing can handle 4k at reasonable frame rates, no... no pc gamers aren't aching for 4k content... retards are, but not gamers.

Actually you can. Tons play at 4k. Just search for any pc game + 4k on jewtube

>> No.431741
File: 133 KB, 600x360, ss-punched-opening-mesh02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Random question random thread:

I have been thinking about the methods in creating armor/heat shielding vents.

How should I develop this in zBrush? I could sculpt it but that is a lot of polys. Is there a method in using an alpha in texturing?

>> No.431767

>>431740
yea i fucked up the math, its about 8.1 million which also helps my point because thats even less on screen detail.

and we are talking about zbrush here, hd sculpting can be done on damn near anything, the problem is it only loads in if i remember right 10 million polys of detail per sculpt area making it a pain in the ass to use. so unless you are going to do that extreme close up, is it worth the time and pain in the ass to sculpt that detail and not get it through other non sculpting methods?

again, nothing besides a multi highest end setup can handle 4k at 60fps, and if i remember right playing in high settings means only getting 40~ fps and 3+ cards usually scales like hell. you would have to be a retard to currently go for a 4k setup.

>>431741
in z brush you should be able to do this with masking and some symmetry options, there is easier ways to get it but i am not familiar with zbrush enough to tell you.

i also know you can easily box model this kind of thing in modo if you don't require zbrush or want a base model.

>> No.431768

>>431767
>again, nothing besides a multi highest end setup can handle 4k at 60fps, and if i remember right playing in high settings means only getting 40~ fps and 3+ cards usually scales like hell. you would have to be a retard to currently go for a 4k setup.

You're the retard. You dont need 16xMSAA. You want to play titanfall at 4k, anyone can do that. It has half life 2 quality graphics despite any setting you set. And guess what? So does every other pc game pretty much. If the devs cant optimize their shit like cryshit, thats their problem

>> No.431780

>>431741
You could alpha and use some tool on it.
Or you could model it in a regular modeling package and use subdivision surfaces.
You're probably looking to make a hexagonal honeycomb grid.

>> No.431784

>>431780
I'm assuming flat surface by the way.
Subdividing circles and holes onto curved surfaces is a good way to claw your eyes out.

>> No.431785
File: 52 KB, 610x288, 1405455336146.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>431784
you can do it just fine retard. Just use meshFusion which even works with psubs

>> No.431790

>>431741
>make alpha
>make uvs
>apply alpha as displacement
>displace
>profit?

>> No.431791

>>431371
fuck me man, if you need to ask then you dont need to use hd geo, its ofr people who make movie quality stuff.
~20 mln is plenty enough to do anything

>> No.431796

>>431791
20 million isnt even close to enough. Not in 2009, not now.

>> No.431805

>>431768
i play at 1920x1200, and find aa pointless, some texture filtering helps when viewing them at an angle, but thats it.
>It has half life 2 quality graphics
ok, the small bus will be back in about a month or so to pick you up for school again.

>>431791
you have a 20 million sculpt laying around to shut the morons up. i tried looking before, but its not easy to find... best i could do was a 45 million poly blender sculpt and it was just a someone showing off blender can handle that much.

>> No.431813

>>431371

Don't use HD for finer detail, use projection master.

>> No.431820

>>431805
It's made on the source engine, so yeah, it has HL2-tier graphics. Dunno what you're shitting on the dude for.

>> No.431875

>>431820
how are you even able to reply... seeing my posts must be a bitch being as blind as you are.

>> No.431929

>>431820
Source has been updated a lot since HL2... It just doesn't release new version names unlike Unreal/Unity/CE because Source isn't a product, it's free. Dota 2 and Alien Swarm both use deferred rendering methods, something the HL2 Source wasn't capable of.

>> No.431939

>>431929
>Source isn't a product, it's free

Actually it is a product and it costs big money for commercial use

>> No.431985

>>431929
to be fair source does update, but i'm not aware of the version numbers or anything like that... im not even sure they use version numbers.

i know unreal 3 went to 3.96 or something like that so the engine effectively is no where near the same as when it started with some roots still there.

>> No.432073

>>431929
>Source has been updated a lot since HL2
Told like a typical shitter who never used the sdk or hammer
source now is the same godwafull shit we had in 2004, the updates are a fucking joke

>> No.432233

>>432073
because if they changed the bones of the engine, everything that made that engine that engine, than it wouldn't be source anymore... i agree its a clusterfuck, but you apparently don't understand how engines work.

>> No.432767

>>432073
>never used the sdk or hammer
why would anybody use the sdk?
you can just lua code all your models into source without the sdk.

the reason that hl2-tier graphics still plague the source engine is because of this fact:

most modelers aren't coders and vice versa.

source can handle high-end graphics, it just need a lua file to make it happen.

>> No.432769

>>432767
>the reason that hl2-tier graphics still plague the source engine is because of this fact:

there is no "plague". Developers and gamers want 60fps at 1080p on console - not 30fps. Not a lower rez.

Get over it, and strap in for the next 8 years.