[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 48 KB, 558x436, Dino Crisis 2_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
423279 No.423279[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Serious question.
When I looked at the PS2, I though, wow, psone looks like garbage.
but now when I look at the PS4, I look and say: wow, psone looks like pixel art, charming in a cute way.

Even realistic psone games now look like cartoony toon games.

What happened?

What does /3/ think of artist who may strive to emulate 1999 console graphics today?

Does /3/ like the older look?

will it become the new fad with indies?

>> No.423280

Handpainted is the way to success.

>> No.423283

>>423280
/thread

>> No.424040

The look comes from faking the lighting with textures without the use of some kind of baking tool.
Look at the placement of highlights and shadows on the floor and that cargo container. they're just all over the place.

If you want to emulate that look. Bake the lighting onto every single texture you make assuming the light is coming from the same direction. Then have no lighting in the game engine. The necessity of chaotic asset placements will guarantee not a single highlight or shadow will make sense.

>> No.424052

>>423279
The 90s have been coming back in a weird way recently so yeah Id expect to see some video games emulate that kind of look too.

>> No.424077

>>423279
>What does /3/ think of artist who may strive to emulate 1999 console graphics today?

I think the idea is attractive to a lot of unskilled artists that think it's beyond their capability to create the level of artwork possible today.
'It's stylized' is often just a cop out excuse for being unskilled.

Doing current day AAA graphics is labor intensive though and not something beginners will be able to do without years of practice.
For those people it should be about finding a true stylization, an artistic language that is simplified and on their level without hiding
behind "it's supposed to look retro" with crippled polycount and texture size to mask their lack of skill.

>> No.424096

>>424077
or, AAA games cost 50 million to make and most of that money is dumpped into graphics, when gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> graphics

if you decide not to chase the pink dragon, its better to go with an older style and retro it, than just look like a mediocre decent graphics because that says "we had no fucking budget, look at us, if the graphics are this bad what do you think the rest of the game is like" apposed to "yea we stuck to a retro style, you cant imagine the game play from the graphics alone"

>> No.424102

>>424096
That money is spent on advertising I believe.

>> No.424104

>>424096
I can make AAA grade graphics. If I had twelve clones of myself I could probably make the graphics for a typical game title in say one year.

I can assure you I do not make 4.16 million dollar a year.

>> No.424105

>>424096
>>424102
>>424104
artists sallaries and hardware cost just a few million dollars for a grand scope project The big money is spent on logistics, rent, commercial and distribution,
in a typical production there is like a ~thousand people involved that get paid for talking to each other over the phone and causing trouble by reorganizing everything.

When you see the credits of a game look for the programmers and the artists and the sound guys etc, that's like first ~50 guys they're the ones that actually made the game,
the rest is just a bunch of suits.

>> No.424108

>>424096
Graphics is pretty cheap, most often they thank you for work well done by giving you the boot once you've done your part on a project.
It's good work though as long as you don't have any family to support or things like, you know, a life outside of work.