[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 183 KB, 1868x892, forxlergs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
420130 No.420130 [Reply] [Original]

MAYA

Hey guys, How's ma legs? Shithouse you say?
Thanks for noticing, I feel the same way.

So I think what I have done is that I created the legs from planes and then extruded in the wrong direction(noob), which has left me with these gaping holes.

My issue is that I was expecting an easy fix such as "Fill hole", but this does not appear to be working. I understand that the smart thing would be to just restart them but I am curious for future reference why this is not working. The console is telling me the tool was applied but i do not see it's effects.

Ideas? Techniques?

>> No.420140
File: 9 KB, 250x247, 1394894507966.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here, I have figured one way to amend my issue. I deleted the faulty loop and left the 2 sides. I then selected all edges and use the bridge tool.

>I have this thing were I always have to ask questions before i really really think about them.

But there is all ways more way than one to skin a cat. Any more techniques?

>> No.420142

I have no idea how you managed to do this in the first place. This is one of the most bizarre modeling cock-ups I've ever seen.

>> No.420173

try a cylinder and extrude down

>> No.420177

The main problem is that you extruded faces instead of edges... You can extrude the outer edge and it won't create a face connecting inward.

>> No.420201

Bro if you go along the way you are going you are gonna get a square leg when you 3.

Just use what you have now as a ref and start over with a cyl and start from the top and extrude your way down to the feet.

>> No.420237

append to polygon that bitch

>> No.420239
File: 1.55 MB, 2048x1536, friedpineapple.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thnx for the extra thoughts guys.

I'm just doing some blocking before I dynamesh it in zBrush

>> No.420248

>>420239
Why would you do the blocking in Maya, if you're going to Dynamesh it? That makes noooooo damn sense. The only reason to use a poly modeling app first, is if you require specific topology and precise edge-loop control, but dynamesh gets rid of that topology... Block it out with ZSpheres, or even just make a dynamesh sphere and use Snakehook/ClayBuildup to quickly pull out the forms you need. (ctrl_drag in empty space to remesh areas that become low density as you pull out forms)

Watch this speedsculpt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvCompIskoY

>> No.420253

>>420248

My thought process is to get the basic shape done with blocks rather that zSphere against my Orthographics, I'd be able to have a much closer approximate shape and volume as a base mesh which I could then just sculpt tweak.

Totally noob here with access to some good tools =D

>> No.420255

>>420253
In ZBrush, under Texture>Image Plane>Reference Views, you can load images for various different views to easily match your mesh up with!

Or you can use Spotlight to have multiple images for reference on screen at once.
http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/reference-images/spotlight/

OR, you can even us the "See-through" slider at the top of ZBrush so that you can see an image you have open in a browser or w/e behind ZBrush.

Or even just load a texture on a default Plane.

Many ways to use reference images in ZBrush :)

>> No.420278

>>420253

that's the way i do it. it may seem counter productive to the other anon but i like to have my reference with Maya and block it in. after you are used to it it takes no time.

>> No.420329

>>420278
>that's the way i do it
No, it's absolutely not, lmao. It is counter productive because you can do the same thing in ZBrush in seconds, without needing to transfer between apps. Learn to properly use references and dynamesh in ZBrush, and you'll be better off for it. Let go of your archaic workflow. If you're using a reference in Maya, you should be using it while in ZBrush too, it's idiotic not to.

>> No.420410
File: 284 KB, 300x450, 141534-saan_large.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Now there's always more than one way to do things, I'll find what fits my preference eventually once I play around.

Some would say "don't get into bad habbits", though I have dabbled in tools such as Spotlight and zSpheres. But so far I just enjoy building my stuff in Maya. Such a lovely application.

>> No.420413

>>420410
You enjoy it because it's what you're comfortable with, it's what you're used to.

The quickest way is to just draw out a dynamesh sphere, and SnakeHook the shape you need in seconds. It's truly a waste of time to start in Maya, and is archaic workflow.