[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 88 KB, 547x387, helpme.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
416607 No.416607[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Can someone tell me why the shadows in the background are being subdivided in the render?

I'm using C4D. The background is just a plane (phong tag removed) with a displacer using noise as a shader.

>> No.416611

Because quads are converted to triangles in most render engines.

>> No.416741

i preffer this way anyway

>> No.416808

>>416611
exactly this. Anyway fuck off with that stupid as fuck island tutorial. make your stuff you moron. Low poly is the easiest thing ever. especially in Cinema.

>> No.417730

>>416808
wow this is what I call constructive critique

>> No.418536

>>416808
lol, your a funny cunt

>> No.418594

Your displacer is displacing all vertices making your planes non-planar and showing the shading of the triangles.

>> No.418605

>>416611
But for what purpose?

>> No.418606

>>418605
For the purpose of that's how graphics are rendered, using triangles. All your quads and ngons in an application are built from triangles, you just don't see the auto-generated edges, since they aren't explicit edges.
>>418594 explained the other part of why it's happening, it's not just because the renderer uses triangles, but also because of how that deformation was made.

Take a single quad in your modeling application, grab two opposing corner vertices of it and lift them up, notice how it kinks in the middle, creating a sort of line between the other two vertices? Cause a quad is two triangles. Triangles keep render math simple, since they absolutely will always be planar, unlike any other shape that has more than 3 points. It's what GPU's are built around as well.