[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 24 KB, 497x640, $(KGrHqJ,!g4FC4b!3S-SBQ5b6ks7(g~~60_58.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
374992 No.374992 [Reply] [Original]

What other tools or likewise are there for reference? Like ye olde bendy man here?

>> No.374993

>no words

>> No.374994

sage

Try Google.

>> No.375058

>>374993
this is not a good model to base your designs off of?
not trolling. i own one of these and use it for poses on my hand drawn (and addmitedly aweful) attempts to learn human movement.

>> No.375075

The whole reason I got into 3D was because I was basically looking for a computer generated posing doll to use as a reference for my 2D artwork because I was extremely disappointed with the limitations in the movement and proportion of real world posing dolls. Even with the very expensive, anatomically correct dolls you still run into limitations where a human body would be able to achieve a pose but your doll can't.

Then somebody suggested I try Daz Studio and use its Genesis figure to achieve my purpose which I did and found it more than adequate as a reference model for 2D drawings. So I basically build a scene out of simple primitives to represent real world props and set pieces, a genesis figure (rarely clothed since Daz doesn't have dynamic cloth), and some lighting. Then I just look at the screen while I draw my illustration. The perspective never changes when I move my head like it does with a real world 2D model so I never end up with wonky perspective problems. It's like drawing from a photo reference.

Oddly enough I have almost zero interest in rendering artwork in 3D but I have found modelling itself to be a very relaxing hobby. It reminds me a lot of when I was a kid and would build model cars. I would have a box full of broken models, alternate accessory pieces and other assorted leftovers and would often create my own fantasy cars and space ships out of all the various parts. This is like getting to do the same thing except in the virtual world.

The advantage is it costs me nothing to make this stuff and I can give it away infinitely, so anything I make which I think other people might have a use for I give away on Share CG.

Making fantasy creature morphs for the Genesis figure is a lot of fun too.

Apparently I am hardly alone when it comes to 2D illustrators as many of them use the software in the same way and have no real desire to produce 3D rendered artwork as anything other than a reference for 2D illustration.