[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 59 KB, 512x512, blender.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
368437 No.368437 [Reply] [Original]

Any blender fags here?

I'm currently playing around with Unity3D which has GREAT built in out of the box support for blender - incl. reading .blend files and auto updating.

Mostly coming from the level design area though, I grew up using BSP brushes which are slowly becoming outdated, but are generally great for the layout of a level. Seeing as unity doesn't support bsp brushes, I'm going to use blender for all of my level geometrie (which is at the moment not more than a few basic rooms connected)

Due to gray rooms being kinda boring, I decided to UV map a room and giving him basic textures which worked like a charm. I then did cut the room up further and extended one side into a corridor (which of course fucked up my UV maps again)

Question #1) Is there any method of 'copying' the UV maps of one object onto another? Say: I have two identical rooms, can I simply unwrap room 1 and put his UV maps on room 2?

#2) Is there a way that prevents UV map stretching? I.e.: I create a square floor and UV map it correctly, later on decide I want to make it rectangular resulting in half the width, which fucks my UV maps up again, I'd have to update them for half the with. Is there a method that would 'automaticly' update this change (kinda like the work with bsp brushes)?

Will bump with random cg art I guess.

>> No.368445
File: 26 KB, 372x407, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>#1) Is there any method of 'copying' the UV maps of one object onto another? Say: I have two identical rooms, can I simply unwrap room 1 and put his UV maps on room 2?

select the objects that you want to make identical, selecting the main one at last and press ctrl + L, select object data will also copy you uv's.

Basicalley , select object A + Object B, ctrl + L link and Object A will be exactly like Object B.

>
#2) Is there a way that prevents UV map stretching? I.e.: I create a square floor and UV map it correctly, later on decide I want to make it rectangular resulting in half the width, which fucks my UV maps up again, I'd have to update them for half the with. Is there a method that would 'automaticly' update this change (kinda like the work with bsp brushes)?

yes, pic related

>> No.368481

OP,
FYI, Unity actually does not read .blend files. When 'loading' .blend files, it opens up Blender in the background, converts it to .fbx and then imports it.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectBlender.html

I have been using Blender since 1.7 and am currently also using it at the place I work in combination with Unity. In this case I export my objects directly as .fbx