[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/3/ - 3DCG

View post   

File: 48 KB, 480x640, oo_20130521234602.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
368208 No.368208 [Reply] [Original]

I mess around using 3D for fun sometimes, and I like watching animations and messing around in real time, but there's been one thing that's bothered me.

Load a model in MMD, 200 fps.
Load the same model in Blender, ~10 fps.

Why? I'd guess that Blender probably takes more samples of things, has better shadow and physics accuracy, etc. which slows down realtime performance, but this kind of difference is a little ridiculous for just a viewport render with no special settings enabled, isn't it? Am I doing something wrong? I used sugiany's "MMD tools" to import the models to Blender. It doesn't really matter whether I use shadeless, Blender's default grey rendering, or even wireframe.

tl;dr Is there a way to get high FPS real time rendering(at least of simple models) in Blender?

>> No.368213

File > User Preferences > System
derpaderpa

>> No.368215

>>368208
You've got a common problem that a lot of people have, most 3D software like MMD, Maya, Cinema and all that jazz default to using your CPU for almost everything, opposed to Blender which is dumb and runs them through the graphics card the same way a video game would.

Update your video drivers, cross your fingers and pray and you might get decent frame rate. Otherwise ditch blender and try a different software package. Or most expensively, beef up your graphics card

>> No.368224

>>368213
Went and tried changing a few settings, but none of them really made a difference.

>>368215
And that's not a setting you can change, huh...

I guess I could try adjusting myself to Maya more but I don't think there's any way of getting all the motions I have into Maya.

Thanks for the information.

>> No.368272

>>368215

Anon, you are talking nonsense.

For computing and rendering Blender uses the CPU (just like other 3D packages). However, it is able use the GPU using CUDA, which is an extra functionality and must be enabled in the settings.

For real time game stuff, Blender does use the GPU, just like any other game. Why? Because in that instance it is working as a game engine. Duh.

I think OP only needs to tweak the settings, but simply does not know how to get the optimum results.